Tempest Defense

Tempest Defense

in Elementalist

Posted by: Flux Qemist.6712

Flux Qemist.6712

Hi all,
Just wondering if anyone has tried this trait (Tempest defense) with a d/d build? – I’m thinking it might be handy against melee cc power/crit opponent (warrior/thief types) Also does it work against the thief’s basalisk venom?

Here’s a build I was considering. I’m still not sure whether or not to keep the 10 points in earth, can move it to water/arcana if desired).

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fEAQJAoYhEmmbnR5gjEAkCuMK0h4xDWIRRROzA-jEDBYggYjAkIAUBgJfCiZPKrlhht6KIlXRTbDT5K1qYCRSBExYA-w

Tempest Defense

in Elementalist

Posted by: Asurmir.7956

Asurmir.7956

I only looked at the trait setup.

I would suggest Earth V since it procs with Tempest defense.

To answer your question: I have attempted to use it in s/tPvp as a d/d ele with mild success. For me, it just didn’t proc as often as I needed.

And yes, it works with thief’s basilisk venom (the primary reason why I took it).

Asurmir “The Heretic” Ravenclaw
http://tinyurl.com/oaxdkgt

Tempest Defense

in Elementalist

Posted by: dreztina.4820

dreztina.4820

It sucks. Well, it’s not completely useless. Obviously shocking aura is nice, but you can definitely put those points to better use elsewhere.

It’ll fire whenever you get cc’ed, not just when you get cc’ed by a melee at an opportune moment. If you get cc’ed from range, it does nothing. If the warrior uses one of their many cc’s before actually going in for the skull crack, it does almost nothing. If you get bas venom backstabbed by a thief, well ya, he’ll get stunned afterward… but you already got hit for half your health or more and all you’re stopping are some comparatively low damage autos. You’ll get a lot more mileage out of running rock solid (20 earth) and simply avoiding the cc in the first place.

The grounded (20% to stunned) is fairly mediocre as well if you’re talking solo. Maybe if you’re running with hammer warriors you’ll get some use out of it, but it won’t do a lot for you by yourself. Your primary cc damage combo chains off updraft, and the damage modifier doesn’t apply to blowouts.

Also, the build you are looking at is really not good. You definitely want to have at least one of your heals (15 water, 30 arcane). Without it, you have practically no sustain and will just get crushed. You are also missing a lot of condi clear.

Personally I think the air line is completely overshadowed by the other lines for a D/D ele. You can run it if you just really want to hit hard and don’t care about being really effective, but it’s never optimal in any situation. This is largely due to the fact that both of our defensive lines carry a decent amount of damage increase with them. With 25 earth you get both stone splinters (+10% to essentially all damage), and +10% when your endurance is full (great for initial spikes), as well as all the defensive benefits from the line. With water, you get +1% damage/boon at 25 points and some superb defensive utilities.

If you want to do damage as a d/d ele, trait like a bunker, and use your gear for your damage.

Here are some builds you can try out which give you enough defense that you can squeeze a lot of offense into your gear:

10 air, 30 water, 30 arcane (the traditional D/D setup)
20 earth, 20 water, 30 arcane
30 earth, 10 water, 30 arcane (my go kitten yourselves condi users build)
10 earth, 30 water, 30 arcane
20 earth, 30 water, 20 arcane
10 air, 10 earth, 20 water, 30 arcane
25 earth, 15 water, 30 arcane (one of my favorites for all around play)

Each has a slightly different flavor, but the same general idea. Lots of defense and sustain so you don’t need to go bunker gear to survive.

Out of Attunement – D/D Ele
Maguuma

(edited by dreztina.4820)

Tempest Defense

in Elementalist

Posted by: LelouchViBritannia.3607

LelouchViBritannia.3607

I tried pretty much every possible combination with the trait. None work. Mostly because you either lack the condition removal from water or the protection and regen from elemental attunement which means you pretty much explode when burst down without CC (which happens a lot actually).

If only the trait that gives you a fire aura when using signets was adept instead of master tier that would open up a lot of aura build options.

I command you to be AWESOME.

(edited by LelouchViBritannia.3607)

Tempest Defense

in Elementalist

Posted by: Gorni.1764

Gorni.1764

There should be a trait that makes all auras stun-breakers (including the proccs from traits). Maybe increase the CD and/or remove the damage-gain to balance it. Alternatively the bonus-damage should work on all kinds of CC. This would be usefull.

Rachat – Elementalist (Abbadon’s Mouth)

Tempest Defense

in Elementalist

Posted by: Oslaf Beinir.5842

Oslaf Beinir.5842

if you want to use it to stop bursts then avoid the trait it is not worth it especially with the low HP in your build.
most thieves run bas venom with lyssa which grants stability and even if they dont you will receive the backstab regardless since the aura will activate after you get stunned and wont stop the incoming burst. warriors can have stability auto proc on incoming cc and 2 utilities which grant stability.
you can go for elemental shielding to make it actually guard better against burst.

Get In The Van Yo[PR] -Play on Far Shiverpeaks/Gunner’s Hold/Vabbi

“Revenant is actual proof that devs read the necromancer forum” – Pelopidas.2140

Tempest Defense

in Elementalist

Posted by: Mash Hog.5672

Mash Hog.5672

if you want to use it to stop bursts then avoid the trait it is not worth it especially with the low HP in your build.
most thieves run bas venom with lyssa which grants stability and even if they dont you will receive the backstab regardless since the aura will activate after you get stunned and wont stop the incoming burst. warriors can have stability auto proc on incoming cc and 2 utilities which grant stability.
you can go for elemental shielding to make it actually guard better against burst.

I used this trait in a aura-share team fighter D/D Elementalist and it didn’t turn out too well.

0/30/10/30/0

The Shocking Aura is quite nice and it does provide a good amount of boons to the team, but the lack of vigor is very noticeable.

Gasmic > Mic Gazzy
Leader of [GASM] #ELEtism
(Retired) Commander [2500+ tPvP Matches Won]

Tempest Defense

in Elementalist

Posted by: BlackBeard.2873

BlackBeard.2873

I have seen this used pretty effectively in a zerker staff build in wvw as a way to interrupt bursts. It does help sure up the weakest aspect of the build while giving all of the excellent damage stats in air. In groups, the +20% damage aspect can actually be useful.

Tempest Defense

in Elementalist

Posted by: LelouchViBritannia.3607

LelouchViBritannia.3607

I used this trait in a aura-share team fighter D/D Elementalist and it didn’t turn out too well.

0/30/10/30/0

The Shocking Aura is quite nice and it does provide a good amount of boons to the team, but the lack of vigor is very noticeable.

Funny how one of the devs posted in the chat (when the dec. 10 changed were announced) that one of the new builds the changes opened up in their internal testing was 0/30/10/30/0 d/d aurashare.

As you said the build is completely unviable. Show how far away from the real ele the developers are.

I command you to be AWESOME.

Tempest Defense

in Elementalist

Posted by: Oslaf Beinir.5842

Oslaf Beinir.5842

Tempest’s defense is not really worthy of GM trait. the damage bonus does not provide better burst than fresh air and proc’ed Shocking Aura does not guarantee safety of stopping incoming bursts it just prevents further damage after the burst if it starts with a melee range CC but if it were a ranged one then the trait wont save you but you would share the buff if allies are near you. getting rooted in place with immobilize can set up a burst on you without any need for CC. the set up to share shocking aura however could help your heavy teammates and the boons are just a small bonus. I dont think the aura share builds really provide so much of a defensive support to really conisder them. on the other hand venom share actually functions better as a support role than aura share.

Get In The Van Yo[PR] -Play on Far Shiverpeaks/Gunner’s Hold/Vabbi

“Revenant is actual proof that devs read the necromancer forum” – Pelopidas.2140

(edited by Oslaf Beinir.5842)

Tempest Defense

in Elementalist

Posted by: Zuik.7158

Zuik.7158

Try tempest defense with d/f using zerker in spvp. It’s surprisingly effective if you use arcane burst and wave when theyre disabled. Tbh you can deal about 9k on light classes with burning speed if you trait properly.

(edited by Zuik.7158)

Tempest Defense

in Elementalist

Posted by: Tom.8029

Tom.8029

I’ve never used it and I don’t see a reason to. I may be mistaken, but if you’re wielding dual daggers and get dazed or something, can’t you just switch to air and use the regular Shocking Aura? Maybe it’s not useful if you get CC’ed frequently, but that’s what stability is for.

Primordial Dragons [Drgn]
Fort Aspenwood Elementalist