Tempest + Staff ele

Tempest + Staff ele

in Elementalist

Posted by: YtseJam.9784

YtseJam.9784

I play staff ele like 99% of the time. Will the overload attunements still be applicable to us playing staff or any other weapon combination that doesn’t have warhorn in the mix?

It’s not clear to me on the official post whether or not I need to now use warhorn in order to get the overload stuff from the specialization… or is it that the warhorn now gives us those 8 extra support skills (I’m guessing offhand 2 times 4 attunements), but we still get the overload with any weapon combination as part of the specialization?

I see some picks with a staff so I’m hoping that the answer to my question is that we do get it with all weapon combos

Tempest + Staff ele

in Elementalist

Posted by: Zention.1849

Zention.1849

Yes. As far as my understanding goes, you will be able to use the overloading without having a warhorn equipped but you will need the trait line tempest.

Still I personally have my difficulties finding its usefulness in PvE.

Note // editing:
Wrong response

Homo sum, humani nihil a me alienum puto

(edited by Zention.1849)

Tempest + Staff ele

in Elementalist

Posted by: MauricioCezar.2673

MauricioCezar.2673

Yes. As far as my understanding goes, you will be able to use the overloading without having a warhorn equipped or the trait line tempest.

Still I personally have my difficulties finding its usefulness in PvE.

Wrong.

You need tempest spec to overload attunements? yes.

You need to use warhorn to overload attunements? no

You can be a overloaded staff ele? yes

Tempest + Staff ele

in Elementalist

Posted by: PlatinumMember.5274

PlatinumMember.5274

Yes you can use tempest with staff but you obvious must have tempest active. In pve it should work extremely well, the problem you might have deciding if giving up damage modifiers is worth it.

Tempest + Staff ele

in Elementalist

Posted by: Remedy.3429

Remedy.3429

I think it’ll work to start off in air since you don’t need to go back to it, and using it in fire after doing the fire rotation because after ice now, you pretty much sit in fire until the end of the fight. It sucks there is no damage mods in tempest though.

Tempest + Staff ele

in Elementalist

Posted by: YtseJam.9784

YtseJam.9784

Yeah I thought I read you needed to enable the tempest trait to get it. Thanks for the replies, I think I’m happy with it now that I don’t have to stop playing staff

Tempest + Staff ele

in Elementalist

Posted by: Piratoz.8627

Piratoz.8627

Strangely and somewhat ironically, I think the only place in PvE that tempest might have potential in is with glass staff. It all really depends on how powerful fire overload is in terms of damage. It will have to beat out the loss of 10% damage at >90% hp from water or bountiful power from arcane. If it beats out fireball (which it most likely will) an ele can put down lava font and use fire overload every 15 seconds. It will also combo fire whirl adding a nominal amount of burning damage and triggering the minor trait burning rage. Additionally staff has traditionally had the problem of having poor damage when locked out of fire attunement when the ele is forced into another attunement to heal or use a utility skill. If the air overload damage is good, an ele can use air overload to dps while fire attunement comes off cooldown.

I think a standard rotation for staff ele for large bosses might be: earth 2 -> air attune -> glyph of storms ->fire attune – >lava font – >icebow 5 – > icebow 4 -> lava font – > fire overload – > lava font – > meteor shower – > standard rotation until overload and meteor shower come off cooldown, rinse & repeat. If forced out of fire use air overload after you are finished using the skills you planned to use when you switched out of fire.

(edited by Piratoz.8627)

Tempest + Staff ele

in Elementalist

Posted by: xarallei.4279

xarallei.4279

I was wondering the same thing. My ele is my second most played character and I usually run with a staff (though I do have daggers, a scepter and a focus in my bags). But I’m just not sure that overload is enough to make it worth taking the tempest trait line.

Tempest + Staff ele

in Elementalist

Posted by: Zaoda.1653

Zaoda.1653

I was wondering the same thing. My ele is my second most played character and I usually run with a staff (though I do have daggers, a scepter and a focus in my bags). But I’m just not sure that overload is enough to make it worth taking the tempest trait line.

I know what you mean. The damage modifiers from the other trait lines to me, seem more valuable than replacing an entire trait line just for the Overloaded attunements (since I’m not a fan of warhorn). Wish I could have overload without having to replace an entire trait line :-/ ah well.

Forever a supporter of more male skimpy armor

Tempest + Staff ele

in Elementalist

Posted by: Mahuyo.3079

Mahuyo.3079

1st I wouldn’t say 99% of eles use staff, because I don’t, thought I will say I have staff as a secondary weapon. And I would say the big combo with ele staff is using air-over then “Meteor Storm” the area, thought I think the ovreload needs to be a little bigger, so kitten Rangers don’t “Peirce Shot” mobs out of our OPness (1 of the reaxons I don’t run staff).

Tempest + Staff ele

in Elementalist

Posted by: Medicarejunkie.6032

Medicarejunkie.6032

The only place I can think of a Staff Ele using Tempest would be WvW. And only if your in a Zerg vs Zerg scenario. Its not worth losing the damage modifiers for my builds.

Tempest + Staff ele

in Elementalist

Posted by: Durzlla.6295

Durzlla.6295

I play staff ele like 99% of the time. Will the overload attunements still be applicable to us playing staff or any other weapon combination that doesn’t have warhorn in the mix?

It’s not clear to me on the official post whether or not I need to now use warhorn in order to get the overload stuff from the specialization… or is it that the warhorn now gives us those 8 extra support skills (I’m guessing offhand 2 times 4 attunements), but we still get the overload with any weapon combination as part of the specialization?

I see some picks with a staff so I’m hoping that the answer to my question is that we do get it with all weapon combos

Regardless of the weapon you’ll be able to use the overcharge and the shout utility skills as long as you have the tempest specialization equipped.

They sing dark, delicious notes about power and family.
As their mother, I have to grant them their wish. – Forever Fyonna