Tempest Warhorn, GW1 Lore

in Elementalist

Posted by: Tzozef.9841

Tzozef.9841

http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Stormcaller

I remember doing the mission back in GW1 where we used to Warhorn to call down the rain to weaken Charr forces to save Ascalon.

Hope they tie this in

in Elementalist

Posted by: I See No Tomorrow.7302

I See No Tomorrow.7302

I believe you’re referencing this item http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Mountaincall_Warhorn

It would be interesting if there was a tie in but we’ve already got this skin in-game

in Elementalist

Posted by: Ghotistyx.6942

Ghotistyx.6942

It’s the lore of the Stormcaller that’s important, not so much the skin. The skin and the picture referenced are of the mouthpiece to the Stormcaller. http://wiki.guildwars.com/images/e/e2/Horn_Hill.jpg
This is the real Stormcaller that puts the charr ritual fires out by summoning rain.

Fishsticks

(edited by Ghotistyx.6942)

in Elementalist

Posted by: Glenstorm.4059

Glenstorm.4059

I just find it ironic that it was Rurik, a freaking warrior, who uses Stormcaller in GW1. Lol.

Fear the might of SHATTERSTONE.

in Elementalist

Posted by: stof.9341

stof.9341

Well one can make a warrior/elem in GW1 :p

in Elementalist

Posted by: I See No Tomorrow.7302

I See No Tomorrow.7302

It’s the lore of the Stormcaller that’s important, not so much the skin. The skin and the picture referenced are of the mouthpiece to the Stormcaller. http://wiki.guildwars.com/images/e/e2/Horn_Hill.jpg
This is the real Stormcaller that puts the charr ritual fires out by summoning rain.

I mean yeah I remember that from GW1 (and Rurik’s AI being a pain) but since we’ve already got the stormcaller skin I’m not sure how much more relevant that giant broken horn will be in GW2? I mean, they COULD add lore to the elite specs but they haven’t really done that. Where does a Chronomancer get their time powers? Why do Reapers use greatswords and shouts? They added a tiny bit of lore with Dragonhunter but it was fairly dissatisfying and didn’t seem relevant.

If they do happen to expand upon the lore basis of the elite specs I’d certainly be interested but I’m not sure how Stormcaller itself is relevant anymore but as a charr trophy.

in Elementalist

Posted by: XDeathShadowX.2619

XDeathShadowX.2619

That never made much sense to me in that game so I’d forgotten about it. Rurik acts like it’s going to help you so much but you just call down a tiny drizzle. Maybe Charr hated getting wet back then.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Bolbo Baggins.8594

Bolbo Baggins.8594

I was immediately thinking of stormcaller when i saw that tempest art :-p Think i’m gonna do that gw 1 mission again for the sake of lore nostalgia, hehe.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Bolbo Baggins.8594

Bolbo Baggins.8594

That never made much sense to me in that game so I’d forgotten about it. Rurik acts like it’s going to help you so much but you just call down a tiny drizzle. Maybe Charr hated getting wet back then.

I can remember that the Charrs where much weaker after the Stormcaller. It certainly had an ingame effect.

in Elementalist

Ghotistyx.6942

The charr at the time were all “Flame Legion”. Their magic and power was derived from fire (based on the Titans, whom they revered as gods). The horn that the gw2 Stormcaller is modeled after is just the mouthpiece, but the whole horn itself called a storm (aptly named) and put out the fires. This was supposed to let you take control of Rin, but then Rurik and Adelbern had a falling out, leading you to go to Kryta. At some point when the charr retook Rin, they smashed the Stormcaller, and pieces now reside in the Black Citadel.

Fishsticks

in Elementalist

Posted by: Forgotten Legend.9281

Forgotten Legend.9281

i hope you realize that Stormcaller, the actual large magical horn from GW1, is still in its place in GW2, in the Black Citadel. the Charr turned into a victory memorial after they retook the area. It has a dedicated Point of Interest located south of the big sphere, on it’s own private balcony overlooking the ruins of Rin.

– The Baconnaire

in Elementalist

Posted by: XDeathShadowX.2619

XDeathShadowX.2619

i hope you realize that Stormcaller, the actual large magical horn from GW1, is still in its place in GW2, in the Black Citadel. the Charr turned into a victory memorial after they retook the area. It has a dedicated Point of Interest located south of the big sphere, on it’s own private balcony overlooking the ruins of Rin.

Now we just need a skin to match it. Also i just refer to the Black Citadel sphere as the deathstar since it’s easier to remember.

in Elementalist

Ghotistyx.6942

Fishsticks

in Elementalist

Posted by: Shadowphazon.7529

Shadowphazon.7529

In terms of gameplay all Stormcaller did was reduce the Charr HP by 100 which wasn’t very useful because you’d already done almost the entire mission by then.

in Elementalist

Posted by: SoulstitchMMO.1396

SoulstitchMMO.1396

I want to use my warhorn to summon a fire tornado (field fire) and I’ll be happy.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

As i said in another thread already, the Stormcaller is to the normal warhorn the same as, for example, a skyhammer is to a pistol, or a Cauldron of Searing to a teacup. It is a massive, defensive, stationary siege weapon in the shape of a horn – comparing it to a handheld article is a joke. It is the same as claiming it is okay for pistols to cause massive orbital strikes, and teacups to burn cities down, because Skyhammer and Cauldron could.
These things may have something in common, but that doesn’t mean you can draw analogies that easily.

If you disagree, i’d really like to see my Goblet of Kings to be capable of raining massive destruction on my foes and countryside, and for my pistols to be capable of AoE knockdowns and oneshotting zerkers. Preferably from stealth.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

in Elementalist

Posted by: stof.9341

stof.9341

Well GW2 is pretty far in the future from GW1 and most technological advances result in some amount of miniaturisation :p

in Elementalist

Posted by: draxynnic.3719

draxynnic.3719

It’s also possible that the elementalist warhorn has some inspiration from Stormcaller, but on a much smaller scale – instead of creating storms that cover a city and the surrounding area, it just covers the immediate area of the Elementalist. The overall theme of conjuring elemental effects through a horn remains.

To those who think Scarlet hate means she’s succeeded as a villain:
People don’t hate Scarlet like Game of Thrones fans hate Joffrey.
They hate her the way Star Wars fans hate Jar Jar Binks.