Tempest missing Slow and Quickness?

in Elementalist

Posted by: Nabuko Darayon.9645

Nabuko Darayon.9645

Q:

I kinda thought when I first heard about this class we’d be getting ability to use Quickness. Later on they introduced the new conditions and I was like, we’re definitely getting Slow. It seems perfect….

And then the skills came out and I was a bit sad.

Do you think ANet missed a good opportunity for a new Ele playstyle here?

EDIT: I also mean AoE Quickness and Slow for team play. Not a single person.

~ King Arian and Isabella of [EG] ~

in Elementalist

Posted by: Prism.5649

Prism.5649

While I would definitely like to see some quickness boons for ele (it goes so well with the Air specialization), I do not think Slow fits any ele themes. Slow is more of a mesmer themed condition. I think more sources of Chill would better suit the ele theme than Slow would.

Just my two cents.

Prismatic Storm: Ele
Prismatic Science: Engi
Prismatic Dream: Mesmer

in Elementalist

Posted by: Valento.9852

Valento.9852

Where is our Signet of Arcana elite? ç.ç

It was rumoured to be an elite signet that would have a chance at granting Quickness to the ele upon attacking the enemy with a short ICD, and upon activating it would recharge all attunements.

Attempts at ele specs:
Shaman
Conjurer

in Elementalist

Posted by: Shadowphazon.7529

Shadowphazon.7529

Thematically slow can suit any enemy trapped in a strong gale of wind making it difficult to move fast. Tailwinds can cause quickness/super speed. It’s far less of a stretch than some of the skill effects we’ve already got.

in Elementalist

Nabuko Darayon.9645

While I would definitely like to see some quickness boons for ele (it goes so well with the Air specialization), I do not think Slow fits any ele themes. Slow is more of a mesmer themed condition. I think more sources of Chill would better suit the ele theme than Slow would.

Just my two cents.

I find Slow to work well with Water/Ice thematic of Ele… I would even consider putting slow on the Flash freeze! shout because they’re really lackluster in the current state they’re in (people would only use them for the auras). And maybe even put Quickness on Rebound! That would solve some issues…

But I think the SHout system really needs a work when it comes to Eles.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Jski.6180

Jski.6180

I think thoughts are for other classes to give it to tempest or even ele may be putting too much on one class.

Main : Jski Imaginary ELE (Necromancer)
Guild : OBEY (The Legacy) I call it Obay , TLC (WvW) , UNIV (other)
Server : FA

in Elementalist

Posted by: Vissarion.6509

Vissarion.6509

YES pls give us quickness, i love that boon :>

They called us TEMPESTs, but we can use our elite to cheat death instead

in Elementalist

Nabuko Darayon.9645

I think thoughts are for other classes to give it to tempest or even ele may be putting too much on one class.

But isn’t ANet’s moto for every class to be able to do everything eventually. That’s why they’re introducing new weapons and I just don’t see what other weapon/utility would be able to grant these two boons (as it fits Shouting and Wind Blowing much more)

in Elementalist

Jski.6180

But isn’t ANet’s moto for every class to be able to do everything eventually. That’s why they’re introducing new weapons and I just don’t see what other weapon/utility would be able to grant these two boons (as it fits Shouting and Wind Blowing much more)

I just think the ideal of quickness is a “time” base magic where ele or tempest is more of elemental magic i am not sure if it works for this class to have time base spells. Slow i think is time base condition too.

in Elementalist

Posted by: ronpierce.2760

ronpierce.2760

Lol their motto is to be able to fill any role (dps, support, survival/bunkery) with any character. Not water them down into oblivion… Theme is still very much a thing. Necromancer is missing a majority of the tools everyone else has all because they are thematically “slow and selfish”.

High Warlord Sikari (80 Reaper) / Lord Siekron (80 DH)
Warlord Sikari (80 Scrapper)

in Elementalist

Jski.6180

Its a question is time manipulation about how fast something is cast or how fast it can be recast? To me i would like to see tempest get its own boon where for a time all ability are on a lower cd. We see this in tempest some what but its only for one abitly and is a class only type boon so not a true boon. So think of a boon that is the opposing of chill fitting better into ele / tempest.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Malchior.5732

Malchior.5732

Its a question is time manipulation about how fast something is cast or how fast it can be recast? To me i would like to see tempest get its own boon where for a time all ability are on a lower cd. We see this in tempest some what but its only for one abitly and is a class only type boon so not a true boon. So think of a boon that is the opposing of chill fitting better into ele / tempest.

Well, this is something that could make Tempest more worthwhile: something base Elementalist cannot do. Giving us a unique boon/buff/effect would be a perfect idea and an “anti-chill” could work. It might be too close to Alacrity though.

in Elementalist

Jski.6180

Well, this is something that could make Tempest more worthwhile: something base Elementalist cannot do. Giving us a unique boon/buff/effect would be a perfect idea and an “anti-chill” could work. It might be too close to Alacrity though.

Well the tempest dose have things an ele cant do just most of them are very support pt aimed and self def. (aoe stun braking and stronger self protection)

in Elementalist

Malchior.5732

Well the tempest dose have things an ele cant do just most of them are very support pt aimed and self def. (aoe stun braking and stronger self protection)

It’s not unique or powerful.

in Elementalist

Posted by: nearlight.3064

nearlight.3064

I just hate that most of the other elite specs have a certain boon or condition that comes packed into the specialization, like alacrity for chrono, chill for reaper, and burn for zerker, but tempest doesn’t really get that. The closest thing we get is protection, but its only through one trait (earthen proxy) and we’d need at least 2 more traits in order to be the masters of protection, which is the only thing close that tempest has thats consistent with the other elite specs, but the traits just aren’t there.

Necromancer Main
Taking a break from GW2 to play various
Nintendo games..

in Elementalist

Jski.6180

Not really an issue of powerful or not or even being unique or not its just simply what is different from what a tempest can do vs what an ele can do. Ele cant aoe stun brake nor can they make boons on them self stronger mostly protection. If any thing ele is lacking effects and ability that are different from tempest.

in Elementalist

Malchior.5732

Not really an issue of powerful or not or even being unique or not its just simply what is different from what a tempest can do vs what an ele can do. Ele cant aoe stun brake nor can they make boons on them self stronger mostly protection. If any thing ele is lacking effects and ability that are different from tempest.

Different doesn’t matter if it’s ineffective.

in Elementalist

Jski.6180

If its ineffective then it should be buffed not changed.

in Elementalist

Malchior.5732

Do you honestly think buffing AoE Stun Breaks will make Tempest good?
At best, we can focus it around spamming Protection, which is really strange thematically since Tempests are destructive forces…

in Elementalist

Jski.6180

At best, we can focus it around spamming Protection, which is really strange thematically since Tempests are destructive forces…

Yes i think it would go a longer way to making tempest a must have in melee groups. tempests in this game are support more like bards. Making the protection buff aoe would go a long way with out comply changing the ideal of tempest.

in Elementalist

Malchior.5732

Yes i think it would go a longer way to making tempest a must have in melee groups. tempests in this game are support more like bards. Making the protection buff aoe would go a long way with out comply changing the ideal of tempest.

We have like 2 song-related traits. That’s it.
We’re not Bards. If that’s all it took, then hey, Warrior has a Warhorn and Shouts and so does the Ranger and the Reaper.

in Elementalist

Jski.6180

We’re not Bards. If that’s all it took, then hey, Warrior has a Warhorn and Shouts and so does the Ranger and the Reaper.

How dose that take away from tempest ideal of being bard like?

in Elementalist

Malchior.5732

Because it’s not Bard-like at all.

in Elementalist

Jski.6180

Bards play song and sing and in doing so buff a team and debuff mobs. GW2 shouts are as close to singing becuse a long song would not work well in a fast game like this. A WH is as interment the only true combat interment in GW2. The only other that is close is foces and that is a pure skin thing and nothing more.

So for GW2 standers tempest is singing and playing an interment to buff / debuff.

in Elementalist

Malchior.5732

Bards play song and sing and in doing so buff a team and debuff mobs. GW2 shouts are as close to singing becuse a long song would not work well in a fast game like this. A WH is as interment the only true combat interment in GW2. The only other that is close is foces and that is a pure skin thing and nothing more.

So for GW2 standers tempest is singing and playing an interment to buff / debuff.

If a Bard uses Shouts and Warhorns to buff/debuff everyone, then again, Warriors, Rangers, and Reapers fit the bill much better.

in Elementalist

Jski.6180

If a Bard uses Shouts and Warhorns to buff/debuff everyone, then again, Warriors, Rangers, and Reapers fit the bill much better.

Less support and debuffs with shout war / ranger / reapers then tempest.

in Elementalist

Malchior.5732

All the support tempest does is AoE Auras, which we could already do before :L
The trait was completely removed just to give us the same thing, but with worse cooldowns.

in Elementalist

Jski.6180

All the support tempest does is AoE Auras, which we could already do before :L
The trait was completely removed just to give us the same thing, but with worse cooldowns.

So the thing about aoe auras and tempest you get an added passive frost aura on-top of being able to have utility auras. Though at that point d/d tempest is more the aim more of a purist aura support. If your going more d/wh or s/wh your more likely using the aoe stun brake so a bit less about auras and more about boons.

(Kind of a side note but i find aura boons support not to be that great there a lot of fury in the game and swiftness as for protection if your aim is to give that out you just run arcain and you get all the protection you need for your pt most of the time.)

I am thinking tempest will build between these 2 types of support for the most part.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Mahuyo.3079

Mahuyo.3079

I kinda thought when I first heard about this class we’d be getting ability to use Quickness. Later on they introduced the new conditions and I was like, we’re definitely getting Slow. It seems perfect….

This is actually a good point, that I didn’t think of, though I guess they could make flash freeze give slow and chill, giving the perpective that you really are flash freezing an area, or make 1 of the trait say when you apply chill you also apply slow, but that might be to much. As for quickness I believe eye of the storm does that and is an aoe though I could be wrong about it being aoe

in Elementalist

Malchior.5732

This is actually a good point, that I didn’t think of, though I guess they could make flash freeze give slow and chill, giving the perpective that you really are flash freezing an area, or make 1 of the trait say when you apply chill you also apply slow, but that might be to much. As for quickness I believe eye of the storm does that and is an aoe though I could be wrong about it being aoe

It’s AoE Superspeed for 5s. Quickness would have been much cooler.

in Elementalist

Nabuko Darayon.9645

I just think the ideal of quickness is a “time” base magic where ele or tempest is more of elemental magic i am not sure if it works for this class to have time base spells. Slow i think is time base condition too.

I don’t see Guardians or Warriors being time magicians yet still one of those have quickness as a trait. But for me Tempest represent a master of storm and winds yet somehow none of it’s Lore was completed.

I do think Tempests need a lot of work tbh