Tempest mockery!

Tempest mockery!

in Elementalist

Posted by: Jaetara.4075

Jaetara.4075

I am kinda bored and annoyed by playing Tempest. It was fun at first when I thought that I just need to get use to it, but after practicing and trying many different builds I just got mad and disappointed. I am mostly struggling on PVP against Warriors / Guardians / Engineers / Scrapers / Daredevils and I loose 95% of all 1v1 against any class.

The worst part is that ppl mock me, a ranger was standing still laughing at me while I was doing all my burst, when he reached 30% health he turned and killed me. A warrior was typing to me while we were fighting saying “cool animations” and “hehehe”, and his life never reach 80% while I was struggling to survive. A Scrapper killed me while he was focusing the archers and bombers, I died from his aoes…

I am thinking to just stick to my Ele till things get balanced. Btw I am playing the game 1 year and half and mostly I pvping so I am not a ftp player or smt.

Tempest mockery!

in Elementalist

Posted by: Sunshine.5014

Sunshine.5014

I got mocked too

Despite wearing Marauder amulet and traited for damage, Tempest deals pitiful damage. With a lot of elite specs being bunkers, I just couldn’t kill any decent player.

On paper, the skills sound impressive: with one click on Overload, you can deal 10k damage with a Zerker amulet! Isn’t it impressive?

However, in real games it’s brought down by animation and cast time. The whole thing spans through 4s cast and 1s animation, making it only 2k damage per second, which is weaker than a warrior axe auto attack.

I like the animation, but that makes our skills very clunky and is only suitable for PvE. Even then, the dps is very low so we might need to switch back to staff for PvE/Raids anyway.

Gray out the HP for future condition damage
Already quit PvP. Just log in here and there to troll.

Tempest mockery!

in Elementalist

Posted by: nearlight.3064

nearlight.3064

Yeah, I agree with the sentiment that 1v1ing as a DPS tempest is really hard compared to normal ele, but the damage in teamfights or +1 is so much better.

Necromancer Main
Taking a break from GW2 to play various
Nintendo games..

Tempest mockery!

in Elementalist

Posted by: Supreme.3164

Supreme.3164

I got mocked too

Despite wearing Marauder amulet and traited for damage, Tempest deals pitiful damage. With a lot of elite specs being bunkers, I just couldn’t kill any decent player.

On paper, the skills sound impressive: with one click on Overload, you can deal 10k damage with a Zerker amulet! Isn’t it impressive?

However, in real games it’s brought down by animation and cast time. The whole thing spans through 4s cast and 1s animation, making it only 2k damage per second, which is weaker than a warrior axe auto attack.

I like the animation, but that makes our skills very clunky and is only suitable for PvE. Even then, the dps is very low so we might need to switch back to staff for PvE/Raids anyway.

If you’re playing marauder tempest..how can you say that you do no damage?

Here few things:

For offensive tempest
1) Don’t play arcana with tempest, you need water, ofc tempest and then take an offensive line ( fire/air) or defense ( earth)
- marauder d/f tempest is possibly the best burst spec (for me) on ele, will give s/f a try, you will need the heal on aura trait GM and then have rebound with feel the burn or shock after shock
- the overload fire/air on marauder does astounding dmg, usable 1vs1 against other zerk spec..but mind your weaknesses while a strong build you still will struggle against heavy condi set up

For defensive tempest
2) You can then use a celestial d/w setup with soldier runes and fire ( for more cleanse/more dmg) or arcana ( pure tank with little dmg); warhorn is a team support short range weapon, water offer great support/healing/control and wildfire offers nice pressure even on celestial

Just remember that tempest excel in teamfights, no matter what you say tempest outperform core ele( save staff maybe) during teamfights, the overload can quickly turn the fates of the battle

-It’s a support specialization that even on its own can be hard to take down even though you may not win that 1vs1, you have the tools to disengage from more situation than simple d/d

-Tempest it’s a different playstyle,if all you want is to duel people, then stick to d/d

NOTE- So far I’m having a hard time against reapers, chronomancer it’s a 50/50, scrappers too tanky to kill on my own regardless, still they won’t kill me ever also….the rest are won [1vs1 scenarios]

Tempest mockery!

in Elementalist

nearlight.3064

@supreme the best set up for offensive tempest, particularly fresh air S/F is earth/air/tempest, you need earth to have earth focus cooldown management and trained signets. I guess I’d take water for staff, but I think dps staff is meh compared to S/F.

I liked D/F too but S/f felt better due to positioning in teamfights.

Necromancer Main
Nintendo games..

(edited by nearlight.3064)

Tempest mockery!

in Elementalist

Posted by: Azel.4786

Azel.4786

And so it begins.

Now people are realizing that Tempest doesn’t add much to the game and does not give the elementalist the tools to survive the new meta.

And @nearlight, it does not improve team play. It worsens it because the trait line is terrible, so you actually going to battle with 2/3 traits against 3/3 trait opponents. It is a major handicap.

You could get more might to yourself and your allies with vanilla ele, access to protection is still the same way (elemental attunement), condi removal is still mostly through water and you still had almost equal healing with water swaps.

And with the new meta you have to consider that a lot of people got a lot more access to Vulnerability (which is a direct counter to our protection dependancy) and chill (which screws all our cooldowns, including attunement swap).

So yeah, it does not improve you at all and new meta is specially punishing to the elementalist.

@ the praises:

But, people should listen to me. Keep on praising the Tempest, but when HoT launches and you realize Tempest is terrible and the meta considers the Tempest a joke, think back on how your praising contributed to this terrible elite specialization.

Tempest mockery!

in Elementalist

nearlight.3064

And so it begins.

Now people are realizing that Tempest doesn’t add much to the game and does not give the elementalist the tools to survive the new meta.

And @nearlight, it does not improve team play. It worsens it because the trait line is terrible, so you actually going to battle with 2/3 traits against 3/3 trait opponents. It is a major handicap.

You could get more might to yourself and your allies with vanilla ele, access to protection is still the same way (elemental attunement), condi removal is still mostly through water and you still had almost equal healing with water swaps.

And with the new meta you have to consider that a lot of people got a lot more access to Vulnerability (which is a direct counter to our protection dependancy) and chill (which screws all our cooldowns, including attunement swap).

So yeah, it does not improve you at all and new meta is specially punishing to the elementalist.

@ the praises:

But, people should listen to me. Keep on praising the Tempest, but when HoT launches and you realize Tempest is terrible and the meta considers the Tempest a joke, think back on how your praising contributed to this terrible elite specialization.

It improves your AoE damage by letting you kitten kitten up with air overloads, of course a different build would play more supportively.

I haven’t tried cele tempest yet due to time, but I imagine it’d only be worth running since the fire line got nerfed a bit.

Necromancer Main
Nintendo games..

Tempest mockery!

in Elementalist

Jaetara.4075

Ye with marauder you can do better dps but you die too easy… it is not like Warrior or Guardian that can play with Berserker amulet and still survive for ever. If you play like that, being a front liner (trying to support team mates) you just die in a second. Not fun at all!

Tempest mockery!

in Elementalist

Supreme.3164

Supreme, what’s the dps you have on your Tempest? Time yourself attacking the Golem for 20s and post your damage please.

Sorry I don’t upload videos, so this is the best I could do, if you can suggest improvements…pls do so^^

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FlKFXcntktQ

Using marauder in this video, I get in with armor of earth up ( hence why I use water, for reduced cantrip) and unleash overload air +"feel the burn", then I switch to earth with stone heart/obby flesh/earth overload to get away reposition.

With the right timing, the enemy team will be in disarray, most will very low if not dead, nobody should be able to mount a spike focus on you ( as long as you keep check of your surroundings)

I can easily finish off fights with overload fire for even more massive dmg( even though the radius is very very small) and still have mist form to get away if (big IF ) the enemy manage to focus me ( assuming I can’t switch to earth immediately)

@Jaetara, try d/f marauder tempest with stone heart…but remember burst builds are not duellist save mesmer maybe, anyway the aoer dmg/survivability ratio of tempest marauder is something everybody should be aware of, those overload can mean your quick death if you mock that tempest xd

(edited by Supreme.3164)

Tempest mockery!

in Elementalist

Posted by: BlackBeard.2873

BlackBeard.2873

I agree with Jaetara, it really doesn’t improve on ANY build. Sure, you can theoretically do more damage with marauder, but you are so fragile trying to run into melee range that you just die. It is the same reason dagger/X marauder ele doesn’t work very well. You die easy to burst, but only really have sustained damage.

For a more bunker/support role you do WAY less than just a regular ele swapping through attunements. Regular ele stacks more might, gives out more cleanses/heals, has more mobility, has greater heals, and actually has more group damage due to all the boon-share. It is funny that such a “support spec” ends up only working decently well when played selfishly, and even then does it worse than the base.

The only times tempest will work well with overloads is catching people off-guard who don’t know what to do (i.e. a gimmick). After people figure out how to play against tempest, it won’t even have that.

@Supreme: popping all of your defense just to be able to engage will not work against teams that aren’t caught off-guard because they will just evacuate the area, then kill you. You primarily benefit from not being focused b/c most people see an ele and think “not the best target, focus someone else.” When a team realizes you are squish…prepare to not have a very good time, especially when you have to pro-actively use WAY LONG CD defenses.

(edited by BlackBeard.2873)

Tempest mockery!

in Elementalist

Posted by: Godservant.8736

Godservant.8736

I’ve found that Tempest sort of works if you view it as “Damage Support.” Playing it with staff, you can do decent, constant AoE damage to the enemy. Then, you can either lightning flash in while charging an overload, or run through with the overload and lightning flash out. I’ve had some success with the Marauder amulet because staff has decent range, but I think it works a little better if you choose the “Tank” options. Problem is it doesn’t quite have the punch to finish someone off. So, you usually do have to be Team Fighting instead of 1v1ing.

Searil Hebion| Tarnished Coast

Tempest mockery!

in Elementalist

Supreme.3164

I agree with Jaetara, it really doesn’t improve on ANY build. Sure, you can theoretically do more damage with marauder, but you are so fragile trying to run into melee range that you just die. It is the same reason dagger/X marauder ele doesn’t work very well. You die easy to burst, but only really have sustained damage.

For a more bunker/support role you do WAY less than just a regular ele swapping through attunements. Regular ele stacks more might, gives out more cleanses/heals, has more mobility, has greater heals, and actually has more group damage due to all the boon-share. It is funny that such a “support spec” ends up only working decently well when played selfishly, and even then does it worse than the base.

The only times tempest will work well with overloads is catching people off-guard who don’t know what to do (i.e. a gimmick). After people figure out how to play against tempest, it won’t even have that.

@Supreme: popping all of your defense just to be able to engage will not work against teams that aren’t caught off-guard because they will just evacuate the area, then kill you. You primarily benefit from not being focused b/c most people see an ele and think “not the best target, focus someone else.” When a team realizes you are squish…prepare to not have a very good time, especially when you have to pro-actively use WAY LONG CD defenses.

First of all there is no way in hell a normal d/f ele marauder does equal to the damage of tempest d/f marauder, the main advantage is that I can move around under the effect of swiftness, you can keep unleashing aoe dmg even while covering behind a wall

On a normal d/f marauder, you just have burning speed that force you directly on top of the enemy and put you at greater risk, I personally prefer the tempest way and the damage is uncomparable, otherwise people are free to post a video where they down the golem in less time than 15s on tempest (2 golems, leaving the heavy one at 10% Hp- all done with 2 skills only while moving around)

You won’t need to blow all your defense unless you play against skilled opponents in an organized team at which point I assume you have an organized team of your own, otherwise if you play with pugs vs pro premade you’d just lose regardless of what you play.

With organized team support you won’t go down that easily , tempest marauder without doubts offers the best deal in terms of risk/reward of all other burst builds available on ele

-Tempest bunker support will only exist as aurashare bunker as you gain the best access to auras, while aura support may still need something more, it’s still very very strong

The point is this : if you don’t enjoy tempest then keep playing the normal d/d; it’s a support specialization, something that won’t change no matter how much people keep asking for D/D 2.0; the overloads are shaping out nice, the earth water one needs something more but that’s it.

-The traitline is good, save earthen proxy and the adept vigor one

-Warhorn is good save lightning orb which is awful and useless

@Jaetara sorry but the only builds I’m having trouble with are : reaper and scrapper as I’m not very familiar with both, they seem to be d/d ele pre sept patch; the same sustain and same damage

(edited by Supreme.3164)

Tempest mockery!

in Elementalist

Posted by: tostadude.9214

tostadude.9214

i played tempest and won most os my 1v1s, you must’ve been using a bad build overall
and might not know how to play very well (no hate, just saying)

Tempest mockery!

in Elementalist

Jaetara.4075

btw I don’t believe that anyone asks for a second d/d ele, what’s the point of it?! I personally ask for something new, fresh and fun to play. Fun means to be able to fulfill one or more roles successfully, meaning to be good at something (not be good at everything at the same time like Warrior).

So far what I see is that Tempest isn’t a good enough tank or dps, either good buffer or healer. I would expect it to be at least a better crowd controller but no, his role isn’t clear or focused on anything. I just want, If someone asks me to tell him about tempest to be able to say Tempest is good at “x”, and you should play it if you like the “y” but he lacks the “z”.

Tempest mockery!

in Elementalist

nearlight.3064

Later in going to try out a cele D/F build based on aura share and fire aura mightstacking. It sounds like it could work on paper with all the bottom line tempest traits, I’m just slightly worried about condition removal with fire/water/tempest, so I might be forced to take ether renewal :/

Necromancer Main
Nintendo games..

Tempest mockery!

in Elementalist

Posted by: Glenstorm.4059

Glenstorm.4059

Later in going to try out a cele D/F build based on aura share and fire aura mightstacking. It sounds like it could work on paper with all the bottom line tempest traits, I’m just slightly worried about condition removal with fire/water/tempest, so I might be forced to take ether renewal :/

Or Rune of the Soldier/Trooper

Fear the might of SHATTERSTONE.

Tempest mockery!

in Elementalist

nearlight.3064

Or Rune of the Soldier/Trooper

Yeah those are an option for sure, but I’ll probably stick with hoelbrak for the mightstacking, and only run feel the burn if even,, not sure yet about wash the pain away or resto signet, but I’ll see if this build actually works as an aurashare version of frie/water/arcane D/F

Necromancer Main
Nintendo games..

Tempest mockery!

in Elementalist

Posted by: Misfit.6250

Misfit.6250

Strange, I experienced quite the opposite.

As an aura d/wh tempest I was able to stay alive and keep my team alive in outnumbered situations easily (spvp), even 1v2ing a burn guard and a d/d ele for about 7 min and having enough time to mock them that they can’t even get through my Diamond Skin. The build actually really plays a tad differently, more “healerish”, than d/d or staff support.

I also tried a s/f Fresh air marauder and it was fun, especially with the air Overload, which is actually ridiculously strong on points. However staying alive was quite difficult, even more so with no support from the team. But I must also add that I don’t really shine with s/f fresh air.

All in all, I don’t see me playing tempest in a pvp setting in any other way than as a support, which in my opinion is not that bad as the forums make it look.

Tempest mockery!

in Elementalist

Posted by: TorsoReaper.8530

TorsoReaper.8530

As an aura d/wh tempest I was able to stay alive and keep my team alive in outnumbered situations easily (spvp), even 1v2ing a burn guard and a d/d ele for about 7 min and having enough time to mock them that they can’t even get through my Diamond Skin. The build actually really plays a tad differently, more “healerish”, than d/d or staff support.

I also tried a s/f Fresh air marauder and it was fun, especially with the air Overload, which is actually ridiculously strong on points. However staying alive was quite difficult, even more so with no support from the team. But I must also add that I don’t really shine with s/f fresh air.

All in all, I don’t see me playing tempest in a pvp setting in any other way than as a support, which in my opinion is not that bad as the forums make it look.

I’m not sure how you did this. Diamond skin only applies if you’re > 90% health and if you’re doing a 1v2 you don’t have enough stamina to dodge all their attacks. You get 2 dodges, with energy sigil maybe you get 3. If you had a focus you could do Earth 5 which maybe buys you time to get one more dodge, but you are using warhorn? So I guess they hit you and you use water 4 or something but then what?

The 2 would have to be incredibly incompetent to have not gotten you down to 89%.

If you said 1v1 maybe… but a 1v2? Come on… it sounds a little outlandish to me..

Tempest mockery!

in Elementalist

Posted by: Gorani.7205

Gorani.7205

I felt bad for the Tempest specs that I encountered during WvW roaming on my normal Ele and in unranked Arenas both on my Ele and Engi.
While I learned to fear the Reaper (so much chill is never good on Ele) and hated the Scrapper (stealth and stomp Gyro in 1vs1), the Tempest and its Overloads never felt like a real danger to me. It was just another AoE I dodged away from and learned to not CC during Overload due to the stability buff most ran.

Member of The Guildwars Online Guild [GWO]
Still keeps a volume of Kurzick poems ;)

Tempest mockery!

in Elementalist

Posted by: Xillllix.3485

Xillllix.3485

I think Warhorn is the biggest problem with Tempest, it is so week and ineffective.

Staff ele with Fire-Air-Tempest can stack a lot of might and still be strong. Similarly d/d and d/f are both better than d/w.

Warhorn should have been a ranged weapon, it’s a massive design flaw to have made it melee. Specially since the new WvW and HoT maps are mostly vertical instead of horizontal and the Elementalist already has good melee weapons.

Tempest mockery!

in Elementalist

nearlight.3064

I think Warhorn is the biggest problem with Tempest, it is so week and ineffective.

Staff ele with Fire-Air-Tempest can stack a lot of might and still be strong. Similarly d/d and d/f are both better than d/w.

Warhorn should have been a ranged weapon, it’s a massive design flaw to have made it melee. Specially since the new WvW and HoT maps are mostly vertical instead of horizontal and the Elementalist already has good melee weapons.

Yeah, as an owner of howler it saddens me that warhorn ended up where it is. It’s honestly just all over the place. It’s main niche is fun protection stacking with earth overload, sand squall, and heat sync, which may get gutted if they go through with the proposed nerf. Even then though I feel as though focuses personal Sustain is just needed to hold pvp tempest builds together.

Necromancer Main
Nintendo games..

Tempest mockery!

in Elementalist

Posted by: Xillllix.3485

Xillllix.3485

Yeah, as an owner of howler it saddens me that warhorn ended up where it is. It’s honestly just all over the place. It’s main niche is fun protection stacking with earth overload, sand squall, and heat sync, which may get gutted if they go through with the proposed nerf. Even then though I feel as though focuses personal Sustain is just needed to hold pvp tempest builds together.

A simple trait would fix all these problems:
Gain the ability to swap weapons when a Warhorn is equipped

Tempest mockery!

in Elementalist

Posted by: Alekt.5803

Alekt.5803

When you pick Tempest, you cannot enjoy the luxury of having minor traits.

Alerie Despins

Tempest mockery!

in Elementalist

Posted by: Misfit.6250

Misfit.6250

I’m not sure how you did this. Diamond skin only applies if you’re > 90% health and if you’re doing a 1v2 you don’t have enough stamina to dodge all their attacks. You get 2 dodges, with energy sigil maybe you get 3. If you had a focus you could do Earth 5 which maybe buys you time to get one more dodge, but you are using warhorn? So I guess they hit you and you use water 4 or something but then what?

The 2 would have to be incredibly incompetent to have not gotten you down to 89%.

If you said 1v1 maybe… but a 1v2? Come on… it sounds a little outlandish to me..

I was exaggerating with not getting under 90%, however the point was that you are still able to sustain yourself pretty well against both power or condi builds and stay at almost full health pretty much constantly. If properly traited, shouts can be really decent, i.e. they heal you, remove a condi, put weakness on foes, protection on you, and usually grant some decent aura – it’s basically a shoutbow the ele way.

Here is a build I approximately used http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vFAQJBIhdSfJ0fJWhJ4gJwhJWEBM326bNvS0BSAHghAwA4+B-TJxHwACeAA62fAwJAoYZAA

Prot+weakness mitigates dmg incredibly, rotating through water with 2 blasts together nets you a 7k-ish heal plus regen, you have good access to frost aura for another -10% dmg, you gain auras on overloads, on elite when it does not proc, and have two on weapons for another 1kish heals each. Shocking aura stops aggression tremendously, that is why I usually use rebound in air. Simply put, if played well, the sustain is there.

I died only because I screwed up, and got my behind caught on fire with no condi clear, and well I don’t need to describe the ridiculousness of guards 10 burn stacks…