Tempest that we have is the one we will get

in Elementalist

Posted by: posthumecaver.6473

posthumecaver.6473

Developers comments are not looking encouraging. I was not delusional and was not expecting that they can completely change the Tempest at this stage of the development but hope dies last.

I am main Ele form start of the game, if the Reaper and Revenant would not be in the expansion, I would be quite kittened off paying 80 bucks to just to get Tempest.

As I said because of Reaper and Revenant I will not run ammoc but Tempest is a disappointment never the less.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Xillllix.3485

Xillllix.3485

What developers comments? Personally I was hoping for more and you said it, at that price you don’t expect rushed content like the crappy elite they decided to scrap and start over (without a new redesign, just gonna be the same effect that does something else). Many of us share in your pain.

in Elementalist

Posted by: MadRabbit.3179

MadRabbit.3179

I don’t know…

All new PvE content, raids, guild halls, masteries with a way to acquire precursors besides blind luck, new pvp system, a new WvW map, new brand of pvp map, a new class and elite specializations for all the existing classes…

I don’t really feel like my money spend on the expansion was flushed due to a single bad elite specialization for what is already arguably the most powerful class in the game…

Rehabilitated Elementalist. Now, trolling the Thief forums with my math.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Khalic.3561

Khalic.3561

I don’t really feel like my money spend on the expansion was flushed due to a single bad elite specialization for what is already arguably the most powerful class in the game…

I don’t feel like I’ve wasted my money either, but people really need to stop toting the ele’s strength as justification for a poor elite spec. The devs should be more than capable of creating something that is viable and fun to play without breaking class balance. Expecting less is ridiculous.

Khyla Shadowsong ~ Charr Ele, Engi, Mes, Ranger, Guard, Thief, War, Necro
Northern Shiverpeaks ~ [dO] Drop Otter

in Elementalist

Posted by: Malchior.5732

Malchior.5732

I don’t feel like I’ve wasted my money either, but people really need to stop toting the ele’s strength as justification for a poor elite spec. The devs should be more than capable of creating something that is viable and fun to play without breaking class balance. Expecting less is ridiculous.

Just remember that for the next set of Elite specs that we get the right to say that the OP class at that time deserves a crappy elite spec. Maybe it’ll be Mesmer, or Warriors, who knows, but if they get a pile of crap just remember how the OP class at the time doesn’t deserve something good.

in Elementalist

MadRabbit.3179

I strongly disagree. I’ve never played a MMO that allowed people to make their own builds from a pool of choices that ended up with even balance across the board. How many weapons in GW2 currently do not have a position in the current meta? How many utility skills do elementalists alone have that don’t end up in the meta? How many traits are never used in the meta across the board? Where are the mass swarms of condition elementalists wrecking havoc on the world? You ever play a ranger in PvP or a necromancer in dungeons?

Where is the outcry over Earth Shield? I payed kitten good money for this game and Earth Shield should be viable. Ever heard of an Earth Shield elementalist? You haven’t? Because it doesn’t work and never has.

People crunch numbers and come up with the cream of the crop and that is what is considered viable and everything else falls to the wayside. When you consider how much of the pool of abilities currently in play do not get used by competent players, to think that all elite specializations released in HOT would get a place in the meta is silly. It simply isn’t going to happen with this large of a pool and so few roles builds can fill.

I mean, look at it from a simple game of musical chairs. If you plan out a meta for WvW that includes 15 players, we now have 9 classes with 9 elite specializations making for a total of 18, each probably with currently 2-3 meta builds for any given game facet. Now, if you pick one of each, who is going to get left out? The same will happen with the meta for 10 man raids to a larger extent and even larger with 5 man dungeons.

So yes, it is perfectly reasonable to expect a developer to release an elite specialization that isn’t going to be viable, because that’s just reality. The fact that we are the strongest class just means that is less likely that specialization is going to be viable. We’re just collectively kittened it’s us this time that gets screwed after years of having a role in the meta for every facet of the game.

(edited by MadRabbit.3179)

in Elementalist

Posted by: Malchior.5732

Malchior.5732

I strongly disagree. I’ve never played a MMO that allowed people to make their own builds from a pool of choices that ended up with even balance across the board. How many weapons in GW2 currently do not have a position in the current meta? How many utility skills do elementalists alone have that don’t end up in the meta? How many traits are never used in the meta across the board? Where are the mass swarms of condition elementalists wrecking havoc on the world? You ever play a ranger in PvP or a necromancer in dungeons?

Where is the outcry over Earth Shield? I payed kitten good money for this game and Earth Shield should be viable. Ever heard of an Earth Shield elementalist? You haven’t? Because it doesn’t work and never has.

People crunch numbers and come up with the cream of the crop and that is what is considered viable and everything else falls to the wayside. When you consider how much of the pool of abilities currently in play do not get used by competent players, to think that all elite specializations released in HOT would get a place in the meta is silly. It simply isn’t going to happen with this large of a pool and so few roles builds can fill.

I mean, look at it from a simple game of musical chairs. If you plan out a meta for WvW that includes 15 players, we now have 9 classes with 9 elite specializations making for a total of 18, each probably with currently 2-3 meta builds for any given game facet. Now, if you pick one of each, who is going to get left out? The same will happen with the meta for 10 man raids to a larger extent and even larger with 5 man dungeons.

So yes, it is perfectly reasonable to expect a developer to release an elite specialization that isn’t going to be viable, because that’s just reality. The fact that we are the strongest class just means that is less likely that specialization is going to be viable. We’re just collectively kittened it’s us this time that gets screwed after years of having a role in the meta for every facet of the game.

Except stuff like Staff Ele and Scepter Burst, while not always ideal for top tier play, are still usable in PvP, PvE(Staff dominates here), and WvW(Staff is also king here) and have unique things over each other. Tempest though? It’s a mess. There’s very little reason to ever play this spec as the mechanic is difficult to use and easy to interrupt, the utilities are kinda worthless without a billion traits to enhance them, and the traits are just all over the place and not very focused on any playstyle.

Basically, a lot of the utilities and weapon skills we don’t use for PvP still have situational uses in other places. Arcane Wave is used for Might Stacking, Glyph of Storms for AoE pulsing Blinds, Glyph of Elementals for Rocky, Earth Shield is useful for Lupicus solos, etc.
Tempest brings nothing except Water camping.

Adding to this, these less-useful utilities might have flawed concepts from the start and haven’t been changed, but the Tempest was a chance to make something good because it brought a brand new mechanic, a new weapon, a new set of utilities AND an entire new line, and yet it’s awful. You know when they added Fresh Air to the game? It was amazing and it’s sad that a single new trait is better and changed the Elementalist more than anything the Tempest brought.

(edited by Malchior.5732)

in Elementalist

MadRabbit.3179

In all seriousness without continuing this debate, I won’t worry too much about it. They will eventually tweak the game and Tempest will be viable for some facet of the game in some build. I just honestly never expected all the new specializations to be viable right at launch. Making this kind of massive change to the game balance with a new class and 8 more specializations and weapons is pretty ambitious.

But then again, I’ve been a gamer for over 16 years at this point. I’ve played all manner of RPGs, MRPGs, MMORPGs and MOBAs and seen every kind of shenanigan you can imagine. I’m pretty cynical when it comes to this kind of stuff.

in Elementalist

Posted by: scerevisiae.1972

scerevisiae.1972

they can’t not do anything after the near-100% negative reaction after BWE1, they would just look ridiculous. There are a number of things they could tweak to differentiate Tempest from being just another version of D/D… i’m semi-hopeful.

The real question is what on Earth gave them the idea that copying the close range support role of D/D combined with slow, easily interrupted overloads with crappy effects were ever a good idea?

Imagine how much work and $$$ could have been saved by releasing a video preview of the spec months ago to gather feedback?

downed state is bad for PVP

in Elementalist

Posted by: Vissarion.6509

Vissarion.6509

I don’t know guys, i have mixed feeling at this moment.
I was so happy that we would get something new to play after 3 years of same old stuff, and something new and shinny will come along that would probably change our playstyle, and bring nice new mechanics, new attacks etc.
but what i see is not what to expect, right now the tempest is mediocre at best, it is a support class with flows everywhere, i mean look at overloads or elite, or traits they are bad mostly, without any synergy to the whole class.

I know i may play it just so i can change my weapon for a bit, but i dont know if i will get away from staff.

Maybe we see some changes and buffs here and there, or else, next elite specialization better be something good.

They called us TEMPESTs, but we can use our elite to cheat death instead

in Elementalist

Posted by: Blood Red Arachnid.2493

Blood Red Arachnid.2493

I’m not going to abandon hope on improvements yet. This time I made a rather lengthy post detailing many problems and how to solve them, and the devs usually listen to me for some strange reason.

I don’t have opinions. I only have facts I can’t adequately prove.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Jski.6180

Jski.6180

Sounds like we are getting an earth aura on wh and rebound is going to become a def buff for your team that will not let them die but heal them and if it dose not trigger they get an aura. So they are going to go changes some of the effect and number but yes your getting a WH and overloads are going to stay mostly the same. That and the ideal of tempest being a support will stay the same unless they make the class op and let tempest build for high dmg.

Main : Jski Imaginary ELE (Necromancer)
Guild : OBEY (The Legacy) I call it Obay , TLC (WvW) , UNIV (other)
Server : FA

in Elementalist

Posted by: Zention.1849

Zention.1849

Well.. Still that amount of money for the little content shown so far isn’t worth it, at least in my opinion.
I agree that there is a lot given to us players, at first glance that is. Raids, something the community has been longing for over 2 years. But after a couple of months the new content will be as worn out as Guild Wars 2 is now.

Leaving Guild Wars 2 in an even worst state than it was before. Blade and Soul will leech most of the free players who should at the moment – I guess – create the delusion of the servers being full and content played well.

—-

Okay, that was a little off-topic.
I am certainly not working for ANET so I can’t tell how much work “really” went into the creation of Tempest at these points BW1 &BW2. But content / material shown was / is a joke.
It simply doesn’t work. Yeah sure, “it’s something new” HURRAY but just because something introduced it won’t make it good ore less of a joke. Tempest UNDERPERFORMS in all aspects the lovely “name” should stand for. If Tempest really works in raids, the so called challenging group content, it can’t be that challenging, can it? I mean pulling these ridiculous combos off, needs..

#

1. no interrupts
  2. you shouldn’t be low health preferably
  3. standing near the mobs – which if I recall correctly can kill you – lowest HP pool in game, comes so in handy here
  4. luck

The problem is that everything has to look stunning. HoT looks amazing, check the maps are huge check and the verticality just leaves you breathless. But – looks aren’t everything if the mechanic is broken big time. An example fitting is the tempest or an even better example is the so called Mordremoth Guard “event”.

Homo sum, humani nihil a me alienum puto

(edited by Zention.1849)

in Elementalist

Posted by: BlackBeard.2873

BlackBeard.2873

Pretty much what the OP said. Their stance on actually fixing tempest is the same as their stance on fixing the Modrem Attack event: “We don’t have time nor desire to fix this. We’ll chalk it up as wasted opportunity and maybe we’ll do better next time (despite completely missing the point as to why this current iteration just doesn’t work)”

Maybe in 3 more years they will release another spec that REALLY improves a brawler/support playstyle that is SO lacking for the class (rolls eyes).