The Elementalist is FUNDAMENTALLY FLAWED

in Elementalist

Posted by: Avatara.1042

The profession is FUNDAMENTALLY FLAWED:

- Attunement Recharge being a traitline bonus is absolutely moronic, especially coupled with the second and third issues. Attunement recharge should be 9 seconds, BASELINE, and the arcane trait bonus changed.
- Attunement specific traits are ridiculous. They are not weapons, Anet, they are 1 out of 4 attunements.
- Attunement swapping traits forcing us to take Arcane. Again. Horrible design and conflicting with the Attunement specific traits.

Also:

- A ridiculous number of massively weak traits. 3% crit damage for 10 seconds when you use an Arcane spell? I mean, seriously?
- Huge number of bugs, and instead of being fixed, more things are broken each patch, e.g Dragon’s Tooth.
- No fall damage reduction trait. Did it not strike anyone at Anet as odd that every single profession EXCEPT the master of air, water and earth (and even fire) could reduce fall damage with a trait? Did it not strike you as odd when you tested jumping puzzles, seeing Elementalists die where others lived?

The profession needs to be completely overhauled.

(edited by Avatara.1042)

in Elementalist

Posted by: Cosmic Teapot.9162

Cosmic Teapot.9162

Solutions
1. 12 second base, each 10 points into arcana reduces cooldown by 1 second
2. Lingering elements actually works and is a 5 point trait, swapped with arcane fury
3. I’m guessing you are refering to elemental attunement and evasive arcana, remove heal from evasive arcana which shouldn’t be mandatory for all viable builds just for the heal. Compensate by massively buffing water healing abilities (i.e. 15 second cooldown on cleansing wave, buff geyser to be in line with cleansing wave, etc.). Reduce protection duration on elemental attunement to 3 seconds (still good but not so much that even the glassiest glass cannons feel obligated to take it).
4. All professions have weak filler traits, not really an issue IMO
5. Couldn’t agree more, get your kitten together anet
6. Easily implemented, again get your kitten together anet

I think with these changes and a few buff to fire traits ele would be in a good place.

in Elementalist

Posted by: ArmageddonAsh.6430

ArmageddonAsh.6430

I agree, the class though decent is bugged by stupid design choices. I dont quite understand how/why we are forced into dancing around attunements to get the best of our class – what other class is REQUIRED to use the unique mechanic to be worthwhile?

The whole idea was that we should be able to play how we want – yet forced into attunement dancing, forced into specific traits, forced into specific builds…so much freedom that is :/

What needs to be added/fixed:

- Conjure Weapons – turn them into Kit like utilities – Make it so that we can use them as much as we want when equipped. Remove the silly cool down and usage cap. Tone down of abilities might be required

- More weapon Choice – VERY limited at the moment need i say more?

- Out of combat weapon swap – VERY annoying having to open up inventory, find the right weapon(s) and equip them rather then just pressing a button that is locked while in combat

- Fix the kitten bugs and issues – simple really PLEASE actually fix them rather then what you call “fixed” so that they dont become broken/useless

- Trait lines – Please take a look at the trait lines see how we have traits for being IN an attunement yet seem to be FORCED into CHANGING attunements to be effective it should be either one or the other NOT both

in Elementalist

Posted by: emikochan.8504

emikochan.8504

While I agree with a bunch, every class uses their unique trait to be worthwhile.

tbh I’m glad i picked this class, most balance patches are something to look forward to…

The attunement bonuses should be like the ones in arcane, where it has 4 different effects depending on attunement. Like the building speed bonus from lightning should be building crit/healing/armour or something like that, depending on fire/water/earth.

The extended fire field trait should be all fields (including storms)

Would be very fitting with our playstyle.

Welcome to my world – http://emikochan13.wordpress.com

(edited by emikochan.8504)

in Elementalist

Posted by: barti.7685

barti.7685

its not just elementalists its a lot of other clases too..

in Elementalist

Posted by: dreztina.4820

dreztina.4820

I don’t think you understand what ‘fundamentally flawed’ means.

Out of Attunement – D/D Ele
Maguuma

in Elementalist

Posted by: Drakkonis.2768

Drakkonis.2768

Wow, this just reinforced my opinion that, apart form the News and Announcement section, a great majority of this forum is used mainly for complaining. I’m not trying to be rude, this is just annoying to watch because I sometimes come to this forum to find constructive content on the game, of which there seems to be very little.

I play an Elementalist and, while it differs from other classes in playstyle, it is still fun to play. I don’t play a Warrior, for example, because I don’t like the charge-and-smash type of playing a Warrior offers, but you don’t see me complaining about it. I must say that a Warrior is not all about that lest you accuse me of simplifying things, but I never found them that interesting to begin with. ANet is not going to introduce a fundamental (and, by the way, this is a proper use of the word) change just because a handful of players want to play a certain profession in a different way. Some people want to see sniper rifles on Thieves, some want to see Necromancer’s minions nerfed because it makes PvE too easy, some want mana bars, etc. Choose which profession suits you best and have fun with it. To say that Elementalist is “fundamentally flawed” is plain ridiculous.

True enough, there are bugs and glitches but, then again, every game has them and it’s impossible to take every single variable into account and create a perfect game. Patches will come and go and yet, it seems to me, that players kittening about it will always remain.

Oh, and yeah… CapsLock? Really? Have they taught you nothing in Online Behavior 101?

Chaos is the only true answer.

in Elementalist

I don’t think you understand what ‘fundamentally flawed’ means.

I believe it is you who does not understand what it means. The basic fundamentals of the Elementalist are broken, i.e the class is based on broken concepts. So please, instead of taking a dig at others, just say when something goes over your head and you need it explained.

in Elementalist

Wow, this just reinforced my opinion that, apart form the News and Announcement section, a great majority of this forum is used mainly for complaining. I’m not trying to be rude, this is just annoying to watch because I sometimes come to this forum to find constructive content on the game, of which there seems to be very little.

I play an Elementalist and, while it differs from other classes in playstyle, it is still fun to play. I don’t play a Warrior, for example, because I don’t like the charge-and-smash type of playing a Warrior offers, but you don’t see me complaining about it. I must say that a Warrior is not all about that lest you accuse me of simplifying things, but I never found them that interesting to begin with. ANet is not going to introduce a fundamental (and, by the way, this is a proper use of the word) change just because a handful of players want to play a certain profession in a different way. Some people want to see sniper rifles on Thieves, some want to see Necromancer’s minions nerfed because it makes PvE too easy, some want mana bars, etc. Choose which profession suits you best and have fun with it. To say that Elementalist is “fundamentally flawed” is plain ridiculous.

True enough, there are bugs and glitches but, then again, every game has them and it’s impossible to take every single variable into account and create a perfect game. Patches will come and go and yet, it seems to me, that players kittening about it will always remain.

Oh, and yeah… CapsLock? Really? Have they taught you nothing in Online Behavior 101?

That is more about you not understanding the class and the issues it faces. The class is based on concepts that frankly do not work AND contradict each other. You may ‘like the playstyle’ but that is pretty much irrelevant, just like your sniper rifle thieves and necro minion comments (I mean seriously, a nerf to necro minions? I have never seen anyone say anything close to that).

The profession is broken at its foundation, and it most likely needs to be redone. Attune Recharge needs to be revamped, Attunement traits need to be revamped, weapons need to be balanced, etc. The class is fundamentally flawed, and it needs a proper, sound base installed which it can be built on. Right now it is just a collective mess.

The caps were there for a reason: to get the point across. There is actually a place for them, you know.

Oh and just for people like you and the guy above, who cannot tell when a post goes from broken fundamentals to other issues, I split the original post. So in case you did not get it before, the fundamentals of the class that are broken are everything to do with Attunements, particularly the recharge bonus.

(edited by Avatara.1042)

in Elementalist

Posted by: boozer.7815

boozer.7815

The profession is broken at its foundation, and it most likely needs to be redone.

Actually, no its not. There is a massive cross section of the Ele playing population that actually enjoys the class exactly like it is and wishes it to stay just the same. Thanks, but no thanks.

in Elementalist

The profession is broken at its foundation, and it most likely needs to be redone.

Actually, no its not. There is a massive cross section of the Ele playing population that actually enjoys the class exactly like it is and wishes it to stay just the same. Thanks, but no thanks.

I seriously doubt that, and even if there were, they are the kind of people who would either not care about the changes, or barely even notice them.

Look, the changes would be for the better, e.g making it so you have max attunement recharge without having to spend the (mandatory) 30 arcane points.

in Elementalist

Posted by: raziel.8375

raziel.8375

i agree with avatara it really feels that 30 arcane is a must sadly

Janos Audron D/D Human Male Elementalist

in Elementalist

raziel.8375

boozer i disagree and mostly if youe a DD ele and are playing it right i have tried every build on forums and everything and nothing feels as good as 0/10/0/30/30… you neeed 30 arcane its almost a must,otherwise you just die or are sitting in the back doing pretty much nothing… i would like to know what your build and others are thats soo good that u dont need arcane.

in Elementalist

Did the whole ‘Attunements are not weapons’ line not trigger something in your mind? You are completely wrong, and I believe you do not actually play the class.

No actully i’m not wrong, i just don’t agree with you – and yes i actully do play this class.

I consider the Attunements our form of weapon swaps (seeing as we have access to 20 skills over 4 Attunements and other classes have access to 10 skills over 2 weapon sets), and as such i find the fact our base cooldown is 15 seconds is just fine to deal with.

You may consider it like that, but you are still completely wrong. If our various Attunements had the power of weapon swaps, we would need serious nerfs. The problem is that you do not understand the class. At all.

in Elementalist

You may consider it like that, but you are still completely wrong. If our various Attunements had the power of weapon swaps, we would need serious nerfs. The problem is that you do not understand the class. At all.

I understand it just fine and can play it just fine, your the one with the issue in regards to the cooldown, not me.

Anyways, it seems like this is a typical “if you don’t agree, don’t post” thread, so there is no point even trying to discuss it with you.

I am not trying to be harsh, but you seriously have no idea what you are talking about. Attunements are NOT the equivalent of weapons for other classes. Weapons have much, much, more power and utility in them than Elementalist Attunements. Comparing them like you do is ridiculous, and only shows how little you know the class.

As for you ‘playing fine’…I can ‘play fine’ autoattacking with Fireball all day if I am ignorant of everything. That, however, does NOT make the profession fine.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Bvhjdbvkjf.1987

Bvhjdbvkjf.1987

IMO attunement swap as a whole does need some fixing, I just dunno what would be balanced. I would rather see the swap set permanently at 11 (think about it, they get 8 or 9 sec on weapon swap but only get to go back and forth between 10 skills… we have 20 available so we do need some kind of inhibition to not become OP)… while the bonus for investing in arcane instead becomes the whole attunement lingering thing. Invest 10 points in arcane you get 5 seconds of linger – 30 points grants 15 seconds.

The traits we have – some are great some are bad. If they want to see more builds get used they certainly need to fix the ones that everyone knows to stay away from because they’re just that bad… but I don’t think an ‘entire overhaul’ of them is necessary as many people seem to think.

For example, a fall damage reduction seems completely useless to me. The only time I fall is in combat, either I moronically dodge off a cliff or get knocked back off one by a mob. If jump puzzles are that hard do them with other characters until you get better… problem solved.

The complaint about bugs – well that’s simply universal and while my main is Ele I would like them to spend time fixing them all even if we only see a few fixes a patch for this class.

Edit – Almost forgot to say, I do think that “Fundamentally Flawed” is simply just a way to get the devs attention – they’re certainly one of the best classes available so I have to completely disagree with the OP on that matter.

(edited by Bvhjdbvkjf.1987)

in Elementalist

raziel.8375

Bvh i have to disagree i couldnt play DD ele with a 11 sec CD, i play fast very fast i need my 30 arcane for 9secs even then it feels a little slow but i dont think that would make us op in anyway what so ever. i wish i had 9 secs with out have 30 into arcane cuz i dont like most of the traits besides the boon on attune triat{i come from hardcore SC2 so apm is nothing for me }i see ppl having problems with it and thats what makes the class fun is the high lvl of skill that it had…

(edited by raziel.8375)

in Elementalist

Posted by: Bvhjdbvkjf.1987

Bvhjdbvkjf.1987

Bvh i have to disagree i couldnt play DD ele with a 11 sec CD, i play fast very fast i need my 30 arcane for 9secs even then it feels a little slow but i dont think that would make us op in anyway what so ever. i wish i had 9 secs with out have 30 into arcane cuz i dont like most of the traits besides the boon on attune triat{i come from hardcore SC2 so apm is nothing for me }i see ppl having problems with it and thats what makes the class fun is the high lvl of skill that it had…

You go through 15 skills in 9 seconds… and think that while every other class is limited to 5 skills before they can swap back that the class won’t become OP as a whole?

Son you’re only making a good argument for keeping it the way it is… right now the punishment for you having that kind of skill set available that fast is that you have to put points into Arcane. Take away that punishment we most certainly do become OP…

in Elementalist

Posted by: AkMojo.2693

AkMojo.2693

I think what you are saying is completely wrong.

First off, the Elementalist is a great class. You complaining about how its attunement swapping cooldowns being too long is swupid. We have TWICE the number of weapon skills at any given time than any other class.

Second, The trait lines are designed to make you better at only that element, kind of like training. You do long distance running to build up endurance, not to swim faster.

Third, I don’t think you realize that the arcane tree is one of the strongest trees, because of all the swapping buffs it gives. If you add those to the weapon swapping glyphs, you are playing with a pretty dangerous mixture. Also, those glyphs work, i run with them on my D/D ele.

Fourth, the no fall damage trait, yeah I am sorry it sucks. Just suck it up, we can still complete the jump challenges, just because you suck and fall and die is your own problem.

Fifth, This forum is not for complaining about how much you hate a class. Pick a new one, and leave the rest of us who actually enjoy playing the class alone. We don’t care that you are having a bad day

in Elementalist

raziel.8375

You go through 15 skills in 9 seconds… and think that while every other class is limited to 5 skills before they can swap back that the class won’t become OP as a whole?

Son you’re only making a good argument for keeping it the way it is… right now the punishment for you having that kind of skill set available that fast is that you have to put points into Arcane. Take away that punishment we most certainly do become OP…

plzz dont call me son 1st off i find that highly disrespectful.. and yes i can use 15 skills in 9 secs if i wanted to but some are not worth useing,i believe that it would add alot more skill involed in it, you think its that easy to do? other classes have there own things some of there skills are more spamy then ours…the fact is most of the arcane traits are bugged badly or just dont work like windborne dagger. i can see where you are coming from by why hinder the rest of us that can play the class to the fullest and that can pull it off…

in Elementalist

raziel.8375

First off, the Elementalist is a great class. You complaining about how its attunement swapping cooldowns being too long is swupid. We have TWICE the number of weapon skills at any given time than any other class.

Second, The trait lines are designed to make you better at only that element, kind of like training. You do long distance running to build up endurance, not to swim faster.

Third, I don’t think you realize that the arcane tree is one of the strongest trees, because of all the swapping buffs it gives. If you add those to the weapon swapping glyphs, you are playing with a pretty dangerous mixture. Also, those glyphs work, i run with them on my D/D ele.

Fourth, the no fall damage trait, yeah I am sorry it sucks. Just suck it up, we can still complete the jump challenges, just because you suck and fall and die is your own problem.

Fifth, This forum is not for complaining about how much you hate a class. Pick a new one, and leave the rest of us who actually enjoy playing the class alone. We don’t care that you are having a bad day

i dont think calling people names and saying that they are wrong for voiceing there personal opinion is right.i never said the ele class was bad, i love it and i didnt enjoy playing any other class in this game.the fact is they didnt fore see how the class would be played.whats your DD build i run 0/10/0/30/30 and personal is the best build for DD atm even after the nerf

in Elementalist

Posted by: AkMojo.2693

AkMojo.2693

i dont think calling people names and saying that they are wrong for voiceing there personal opinion is right.i never said the ele class was bad, i love it and i didnt enjoy playing any other class in this game.the fact is they didnt fore see how the class would be played.whats your DD build i run 0/10/0/30/30 and personal is the best build for DD atm even after the nerf

I run with a 30/0/0/20/20. Anyway, i was not reffering to you, I was referring to the original poster.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Moderator.9532

Moderator.9532

Due to the inflammatory tone of this thread, it will be closed. Please keep in mind that if you want to discuss issues on our forums, you have to do it in a constructive way.