The Elite

The Elite

in Elementalist

Posted by: sampsonlife.6329

sampsonlife.6329

Hey I was wondering if we could get a discussion about the elite ability going. I’d like to hear what everyone thinks about it.

Honestly, I have a really hard time believing anyone ever thought this was a good idea. Its so disappointing that I really want to believe it’s a placeholder. I don’t want to be too negative, as I do not dislike the tempest overall, but holy crappers the elite! It’s not fun by any means, its poorly designed and not effective regardless, and it doesn’t even fit the ele thematically.

I can’t really see anyone using this ability. Maybe some will think I’m a noob for saying this, and they’ll say it’s apparently effective in some clutch hypothetical situation. Bite me. Who actually likes this elite?

The Elite

in Elementalist

Posted by: Zephyron.7081

Zephyron.7081

I think the new elite is an attempt by ArenaNet to provide the ele with an ability to overcome the excessive cooldowns on the utilities inherent to this profession. Good idea, put it needs polish. It should just simple recharge all three utility slots. Then, it would be awesome!

The Elite

in Elementalist

Posted by: emendez.3705

emendez.3705

elite sucks but its the best option compared to other current elites eles has. I said in another post would love an elite that changed with attunements and wasnt all melee range i dont use elites currently since i wvw and im a zerk staff and none of them are viable but this is but far too underwhelming and long cd and only 5 targets?

The Elite

in Elementalist

Posted by: BlackBeard.2873

BlackBeard.2873

Honestly, I feel that the current elite is one of the aspects of tempest that needs a COMPLETE rework. It doesn’t fit with the theme of the class or the specialization, has no particular synergy with any of the skills, is pretty weak even when used optimally, and isn’t even a shout.

The sad thing is, it isn’t even that hard to come up with elite skills that people would enjoy:
- a shout that gives you all 4 elemental auras instantly (maybe stunbreaks)
- a shout called “recovery” that instantly recharges all attunements, especially helping people cope with the costs of overloading
- a skill that gives you a buff called “Arcane overload” where you pulse an aoe-blast at your location every second for the next 3-4 seconds
- a low-cooldown source of stab which might be shared with your allies

The Elite

in Elementalist

Posted by: emikochan.8504

emikochan.8504

I think it’s weaker because it affects your whole group. I have a feeling there could be some interesting combos especially with alacrity.

Welcome to my world – http://emikochan13.wordpress.com

The Elite

in Elementalist

Posted by: ArthurDent.9538

ArthurDent.9538

I have found tempest to be meh but the elite is an inexcusably bad idea. It is so boring since even if you use it at a great time, you will not see the benefit for at least several seconds until the skill you used it for is finally off cooldown. 25% just doesn’t make much of a difference even if you manage to sync it with your allies big cooldowns. You get to reduce that nice 120s cd elite skill to 90 seconds, whoopidy doo. And unless the ally uses that skill again before the cd would have reached 120 seconds, then the whole skill was wasted giving a mere 30 second window to gain any benefit from the skill.

Then of course how often are you actually going to get it on skills that are critical. For your self one would think it would be generally used for cantrips but this wouldn’t work as cantrips are generally used to instantly get out of rough spots, the cast time on the elite skill simply makes it impractical for such situations. As you will need to prep it before you use the cantrip, and then not use any other skills before the key one.

Then there is getting it for allies skills. This will never be useful out side of super organized groups. You need to know exactly when your ally is using a key skill or else, you will end up just wasting it on a skill that really doesn’t matter. The best part is, it works on auto attacks, so it will reduce the cd of 0 on those skills by 25% to wait for it… 0. You can bet in any non hyper organized group this will be happening a lot.

And lastly what does this have to do with the elementalist’s/tempest’s theme at all? It seems more fitting for the chronomancer and just doesn’t make sense at all. This skill needs the guardian tomes treatment and should be completely scrapped and changed into something completely different.

14 Dungeon paths soloed
Lupi solos on 9/9 professions
Wost Engi NA

The Elite

in Elementalist

Posted by: Laraley.7695

Laraley.7695

elite sucks but its the best option compared to other current elites eles has.

Except it is not due to the fact you will be stuck with useless trait line and overloads. And also just because it’s one of the worst skills ever implemented.

The Elite

in Elementalist

Posted by: Ohoni.6057

Ohoni.6057

I couldn’t figure out anything to do with it so I switched to something else. I’m sure they have some point in mind, I just have no idea what it is.

“If you spent as much time working on [some task] as
you spend complaining about it on the forums, you’d be
done by now.”

The Elite

in Elementalist

Posted by: Mattmatt.4962

Mattmatt.4962

I’ll stay with my silvary racial elite. 3sec invul even rooted is OP in WVW for ele. Last week survived a surprise blob impact while alone (FFA is bad), pressed the ult, got my #4fire off cd just at the end of the invul, and blink off cd at the end of #4fire … cya blob!
No other elite allows you to survive a kittening truck hit x)
(and the massive bleed it provides in 1V1 is rather strong)

Tempest seems made careful not to make ele better in any way, since that would be bad

It does the job well :-)

The Elite

in Elementalist

Posted by: maddoctor.2738

maddoctor.2738

I think the new elite is an attempt by ArenaNet to provide the ele with an ability to overcome the excessive cooldowns on the utilities inherent to this profession. Good idea, put it needs polish. It should just simple recharge all three utility slots. Then, it would be awesome!

Something like this?
http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Mimic

1/4 Cast time, 90 (72 traited) sec cd, instantly recharge next utility slot used.

The wish of all Elementalists is to use a utility skill in the Elite slot because the elites are mostly terrible. Giving that ability to the Elite skill would be great!

The Elite

in Elementalist

Posted by: tenklo.6104

tenklo.6104

i would like it if i proc on utitlity or heal…but i think the easyiest fix is .. to make it not prot on auto cast 1..but me and my allies now when im doing it since a norn female voice is easy to hear lol….may be to much but cause its a elite i think maybe a light aura should be on it …. or to step on mez toes a chaos armor on th elite to push condi build maybe

The Elite

in Elementalist

Posted by: Wolfric.9380

Wolfric.9380

Well give the elite a stunbreak and good condiremover (3) and let me use shouts without traiting tempest an i am in hot.
Light aura on the shout woul also be realy nice and fitting. As the other shouts spread also on team.

The Elite

in Elementalist

Posted by: MauricioCezar.2673

MauricioCezar.2673

The elite is just as bad as I imagined it would be.

Timing on use : it is consumed upon auto attack, its very hard to coordinate with team mates to be a helpful skill in groups, its very useless to play solo.
Incridible long cd : 60s for a skill that reduces miserably 25% cd of other skills? “Feel my wrath!” is laughing hard at how idiotic this cd is compared to how useless the effecs are.
Functionality: Nobody cares with 25% reduction. There are a lot of traits that permanently reduces 20% of the Cd on the usefull skills, this 25% once every ages makes absolute nothing.
Theme: Arcane? for serious, this has absolutely NOTHING to do with arcanery power. Its moslty fited into chronomancy than anything about elementalist.

I’ve tried the whole beta to use this elite to see it be useful some way, but there is nothing good on it. As already being discussed, this skill don’t need to be reworked, it need to be replaced.

The Elite

in Elementalist

Wolfric.9380

Remove all conditions on you and spread 8s light aura with an instant cast …. I would consider this as a good one.

The Elite

in Elementalist

Posted by: MauricioCezar.2673

MauricioCezar.2673

I think that it should give something elementalist have not:

Aegis – Elementalist don’t hav any viable aegis, maybe an aoe aegis would be nice here.
Quickness – Other point that elementalist lacks completely.
Slow – Its a new condition that would be useful for eles.

But still, neither of then fits elemental theme, but if “Rebound” can be arcane, I think that any quickness application can be too

The Elite

in Elementalist

BlackBeard.2873

Theme: Arcane? for serious, this has absolutely NOTHING to do with arcanery power. Its moslty fited into chronomancy than anything about elementalist.

Hahaha, at this point, “Arcane” means "we couldn’t even think of a crummy way to shoe-horn this in the (rather-wide) themes of each element.

The Elite

in Elementalist

Posted by: Swiftwynd.1685

Swiftwynd.1685

I’d love to see Arcane Shield become an Aura in addition to Arcane, and to have the “Rebound!” Elite apply Arcane Aura and Arcane Power to yourself and 5 allies in range.

Giving Arcane Power + Arcane Shield to allies is quite potent, as well as benefiting from the synergistic effect of the Arcane grand master trait! Recharge would likely need to be shifted to 90 seconds, but this would be a shout truly worthy of an elite, and would work with Arcane/Tempest builds or Aura builds

The Elite

in Elementalist

BlackBeard.2873

I’d love to see Arcane Shield become an Aura in addition to Arcane, and to have the “Rebound!” Elite apply Arcane Aura and Arcane Power to yourself and 5 allies in range.

Giving Arcane Power + Arcane Shield to allies is quite potent, as well as benefiting from the synergistic effect of the Arcane grand master trait! Recharge would likely need to be shifted to 90 seconds, but this would be a shout truly worthy of an elite, and would work with Arcane/Tempest builds or Aura builds

I like this idea…which means I have 0 faith they will even consider it.

The Elite

in Elementalist

Posted by: DayLight.9603

DayLight.9603

Swiftwynd has a really nice idea! I’d easily drop FGS or the Glyph for this!

Rebound, while nice on paper, is incredibly difficult to use in reality. I tried it a couple of times in sPvP but nobody in my team said : “Thanks Akittenhat CD reduction was pretty impressive!”

Sylvari for life. <3

The Elite

in Elementalist

Wolfric.9380

scrap rebound. Make i cleanse all condies on the ele and share 8s light aura, so it fits the tempest aura part.
An let shouts be used regardless of tempest so there a reason to buy hot without wanting to play a support healer.

The Elite

in Elementalist

Posted by: Zention.1849

Zention.1849

The elite makes absolutely no sense to me – it has absolutely nothing to do with what Anet seemed to have in mind while developing / presenting the tempest.

The elite is a failed attempt to give us an elite which doesn’t render itself useless because of our other elites’ high cooldowns.
The 25% in cooldown reduction are hardly recognizable. Also as content is now, they aren’t needed. Mobs still melt like cheese. Maybe the challenging group content will justify it but as it is now, this skill is just bad.

Either increase the CD reduction it grants or / and change it completely.

Homo sum, humani nihil a me alienum puto

The Elite

in Elementalist

Posted by: The Great Al.2546

The Great Al.2546

The best way to use this skill might be with the runes that turn 5 conditions into buffs upon elite activation. Would really love to see it completely replaced though.

The Elite

in Elementalist

Posted by: Blaine Tog.8304

Blaine Tog.8304

That would be way too strong, considering how much more powerful Cantrips are than our existing Elite skills.

I main Ele and Necro, though I have an alt of each profession at level 80.
How to Condi Reaper on a budget
Everything I say is only in reference to PvE and WvW.

The Elite

in Elementalist

Posted by: Xillllix.3485

Xillllix.3485

Honestly the new elite feels like a completely rushed job. It’s impossible to coordinate, its effect is mediocre, its not fun, it doesn’t fit with the tempest theme, its unbalanced with other classes elites, it’s the complete opposite of what the community has been asking.

Why are some other classes getting new boons and conditions and we are getting none of that? This elite is a terrible attempt of doing what the Alacrity boon does 10 times better.

But then: Look at the new mesmer elite in comparison, its kittening amazing.

(edited by Xillllix.3485)

The Elite

in Elementalist

Posted by: ArthurDent.9538

ArthurDent.9538

Here is the good news, it has the shortest cooldown out of all of our elites, so it has the best synergy with lyssa and krait runes.

Though honestly a short/instant cast time cantrip that did literally nothing other than proc cantrip traits and rune bonuses would be better than rebound which is depressing.

14 Dungeon paths soloed
Lupi solos on 9/9 professions
Wost Engi NA

The Elite

in Elementalist

Posted by: Humblekain.5418

Humblekain.5418

Everyone has pointed out the shortcomings of this elite skill so far in great detail – all I’ll add is that it was disappointingly bland and for most situations I’m likely to find myself in (pugs, no voice comm groups with friends and lack of telepathic links to my comrades) pretty impossible to coordinate effectively.

As others pointed out, it’s a harder to effectively use version of the boon alacrity… which is a shame for two reasons; it’s a psuedo-boon that requires extremely impressive coordination to use effectively, where as alacrity is a buff and forget affair that will help at any and every moment… and also, it’s more of a mesmer utility really, I don’t think it suits elementalist.

The Elite

in Elementalist

Wolfric.9380

Let elementalist put utilities in the elite slot …. It would be better then all our elites :-/

The Elite

in Elementalist

Posted by: Nutshel.7264

Nutshel.7264

This thread again? Why bother mods are just gonna come rushing here and either delete this altogether or merge it into unreadable blob like they do with every feedback thread.

OT:
Yes the elite is bad, no it doesn’t even fit tempest (or ele) thematically. Should it be remade instead of buffed? Yes. Will it get buffed? Probably not cuz anet.

If they want to go with elite affecting cooldowns it should be something like "upon use reduces cooldowns on every ability ele uses by X%(or just flat out resets cooldown of some skills, be it utilities or attouments) + reduces cd of every affected allied elite skill slot by Y% if used within Z seconds after ele cast the elite.