The "What Weapon Do I Use!?!" Thread

in Elementalist

Posted by: Perderders.1489

Perderders.1489

Figured I’d start this.

I use the Sceptre/Dagger and Staff mostly. Staff for when I am in a group and lending some support/defense and S/D for when I’m PvPing or questing solo. I find S/D has a better burst sequence for stacking Might (Fire-4, 2, 3, Arcane Blast followed with 5= DEAD) and is a nice offensive loadout.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Zarora.1769

Zarora.1769

Your weapon choice if fine. You are correct.

Sceptor/Dagger is much more efficient solo and single target while Staff is much better when in a group for AoE and longer range.

I suggest when doing dungeons, use Staff for the 1200 range and more party condition removal options.

Zarorra – 80 Elementalist
Gate of Madness
www.youtube.com/joshes19

in Elementalist

Posted by: Pyrite.9641

Pyrite.9641

D/D with an air/water focus for traits.
and staff for PvP
though, arcane power and scepter “dragons tooth” is awesome….

in Elementalist

Posted by: Mister Stranger.3986

Mister Stranger.3986

Scepter/Dagger in sPvP, staff in PvE and WvW. I used to use Scepter/Focus a lot in PvE but it’s really hard to get gold in zerg DEs without the staff’s AoE.

in Elementalist

Posted by: pxtang.7015

pxtang.7015

D/D and Staff in PvE, changes based on my play mood. I find that D/D kills things faster, but Staff is generally “safer” due to the range.

in Elementalist

Posted by: swizzlenuts.1697

swizzlenuts.1697

Whenever a dynamic event happens or when I’m with a group, I use a staff, but I find Dagger/Dagger to be the most fun. I like a more offensive build.

I start with D/D air, and go 3, 4, 5,2, → earth, 4, 2, →fire 3,2,4. Usually one enemy will be dead, but using this method I have some defensive skills up. This allows me to take down the other enemies.

If I know there will be a lot of enemies I do this: air, and go 3, 4, 5,2, → earth, 4, 2, 5 →fire 3,2,4, Arcane blast, water, 4, 2,3 → fire to finish them off.

Sceptre is good, but I find it a little too tedious while soloing.

in Elementalist

Posted by: LeftStep.1976

LeftStep.1976

I loves me some scepter/dagger.

Black Charr | Shadow Of Hesher | Talya Of The Woods

Yak’s Bend ~ [TOG]

in Elementalist

Posted by: Daoed.1328

Daoed.1328

Scepter/Dagger. I go earth with traits focused in Earth and Fire. The condition damage my auto attack creates plus the defence in this mode is outstanding. I usually can stack at least 10 bleeding’s in less than five seconds. Then I switch to fire and finish if need be.

in Elementalist

Posted by: TigerDragon.4037

TigerDragon.4037

I’m not fond of the scepter or focus, but that’s purely a personal preference thing. I go dagger/dagger for most PVE encounters, but if there’s a large group encounter with a champion boss (the giant that stumbles into Nageling is a prime example) I will use staff for the range. I find that dagger/dagger offers some of the most well rounded fast combat for elementalist so far. Please note that this is purely from a PvE perspective. I’ve not done any sPvP, and I tend to use staff more in WvW. In the end, the trick is to complement your weapon set with utilities and traits that enhance your play style. For example, with d/d I like to use the lightning cantrip that teleports you to shift my churning earth mid cast, but for staff, I like to take arcane blast to use right after geyser for a boosted area heal.

Sinking ships in WvW on SBI with pride.
Plastered Tyrian Sea Devils [PTSD]
Agadar.4931: A bad mesmer still poops clones like no tomorrow.

in Elementalist

Posted by: LeafBolt.2697

LeafBolt.2697

D/D and Staff in PvE, changes based on my play mood. I find that D/D kills things faster, but Staff is generally “safer” due to the range.

I dont like D/D in pvp because have a low range and the damage does not compensate …

I think S/D or staff are best for pve.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Maze.5104

Maze.5104

I’m a big fan of S/D for solo play and staff for groups. I enjoy starting in air with my S/D, using ride the lightning to open, blow everything else on the bar mostly because it is fun to mess with your target so much, switch to fire, and blast the crap out of it. If it’s still alive move into earth to finish, and repeat. Maybe not the most efficient dps cycle. But it is fun and gives a nice flow to the combat while leaving room to improvise as needed.

Rath Mazeborn- Sylvari Elementalist
Maze Rathbottom- Asura Guardian
Snugglesworth M D- Charr Engineer

in Elementalist

Posted by: Perderders.1489

Perderders.1489

I’m a big fan of S/D for solo play and staff for groups. I enjoy starting in air with my S/D, using ride the lightning to open, blow everything else on the bar mostly because it is fun to mess with your target so much, switch to fire, and blast the crap out of it. If it’s still alive move into earth to finish, and repeat. Maybe not the most efficient dps cycle. But it is fun and gives a nice flow to the combat while leaving room to improvise as needed.

This is basically my process as well.

I’m a little bummed about the Focus; for some reason I just can’t get in to it. It has some nice defensive properties but if I want some of the things the focus provides I might as well just switch to the staff.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Russel.4986

Russel.4986

CRIT FIRE SPELLS FTW !!!!

in Elementalist

Posted by: Eldimeith.9712

Eldimeith.9712

I’ve been sticking with staff mostly but after reading this I’m looking to try to up my melee ability via s/d combo… thanks for the info everybody

in Elementalist

Posted by: Eivene.9127

Eivene.9127

Another Scepter/dagger combo here :P However, dagger/dagger is a ton of fun as well!
I’ve been using Scepter/Focus in dungeons and staff I really only use in WvW.

I haven’t really tried PvP yet. I’d like to, though.

Perfectionists’ Cult [NICE] - Family Friendly PvE/WvW community
Sanctum of Rall

in Elementalist

Posted by: Haaggis.8507

Haaggis.8507

I have been using D/D since i started playing (arcane/ earth)

But after seeing so many comments on people using S/D, i might actually give it a go.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Spiegelmann.5602

Spiegelmann.5602

I’ve been running dagger/dagger primarily in pve, with traits that allow me to dodge as much as possible. It’s worked pretty well, even for group pulls, up to the level 80 zone—but I’m fairly sure almost all classes are having a hard time with group pulls in those zones.

For dungeons, I like to run scepter/focus though. Seems that particular combination has loads of crowd control, with the frozen, blind, and stun conditions.

in Elementalist

Posted by: CarP.3401

CarP.3401

Using staff in PvE and in SPvP double dagger. Staff is more usefull (a tleast i think) because of the 2 good heals and double daggers in PvP are soooo good.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Nuprin Feelgood.9257

Nuprin Feelgood.9257

I ran with Scepter/Dagger for nearly 75 levels, then at 75+ I switched to Staff.
I am built for Power/Vitality and Crits.

I think all the Elementalist combos are great and add to the variety of ways an Ele can be played. I just prefer doing my damage, and lots of it, from afar.

“Sticking feathers in your butt does not make you a Chicken.” — Tyler Durden

Similarly, equiping a legendary weapon does not make you a legend.