The death of Elementalist variety in sPvP.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Crujiente.8612

Crujiente.8612

I’ve been trying many different builds post nerfs, and really, everything pales in comparison to the cookie cutter 0/10/0/30/30 double dagger with boon duration runes and a few other bunker builds. All the different situational creative builds I had prior to the patch are just really hard to work in a PUG setting now (not tPvP… you can get away with other stuff in tPvP since it’s a lot more coordinated). Some of them may work for dueling, but for sPvP in general it’s just a lot harder to pull off any builds other than the bunker ones. So much for variety.

I really hope ANet looks at Elementalist traits, glyphs, signets, weapons, etc. and provides us some alternatives in the future. There are a few other builds you can run, but they take a lot more work than just going with the flow and taking the cookie cutter setup, or another decent bunker build. It just doesn’t seem worth it.

P.S.: This only applies to sPvP, not WvW.

toast

in Elementalist

Posted by: rhodoc.2381

rhodoc.2381

Besides all, it is pathetic and funny that eles are in a such situation that they cannot do pvp with staff which is supposed to be a main mage weapon.

[VcY] Velocity – Gargamell

in Elementalist

Posted by: autoduck.2837

autoduck.2837

I’ve tried a few different builds this week for the DD ele like signet and glyph builds but they simply do not work. The dd ele is all about close quarter combat hence stunbreakers are a must which is why the cantrip build will always be the number 1 build for the dd ele.

Kaineng 11/2012-04/2013
Sanctum of Rall 04/2013-

in Elementalist

Crujiente.8612

I’ve tried a few different builds this week for the DD ele like signet and glyph builds but they simply do not work. The dd ele is all about close quarter combat hence stunbreakers are a must which is why the cantrip build will always be the number 1 build for the dd ele.

They work; they’re just much less effective and a lot harder to work with (as in, a huge step down in viability from the cookie cutter). You’re likely to spend more time downed than anything. It’s really sad you can’t do anything but use the cantrips and the bunker setups if you want to stay in play longer.

toast

in Elementalist

Posted by: innocent ouarior.1954

innocent ouarior.1954

I spent all my playtime in sPvP since patch to test every possible builds I could came up for at least one hour. I am very sad to see that 0/0/10/30/30 and 0/10/0/30/30 are even more powerful than before, i mean better than other Elem builds.

Signets, even with buff are complete crap due to casting time.
Arcane squishy builds and Glyph oriented got smacked in the face with Mist Form nerf.
Staff/Support’s only point was Cond Immune zone with Healing Rain.
Cantrip D/D is hardly affected by Cleansing Water and is the only set up able to survive Mist Form Nerf.

Success!

in Elementalist

Posted by: Justbob.5897

Justbob.5897

I believe there is more playable builds than the 0/10/0/30/30 but sadly people will stick to what is easier and no build, even mine-can compare to the amount of crutches this build offers new players. I’m not sure if there are people like me that have just given up on the ele community because of this fact, so we keep our builds/guides for guild or close friends. You know, people that are willing to try something new, without trashing it because its not 30 in arcana. shrug IMO of course. I do hope another build does shine through like the bunker one.

Just Bob – Ele – Revel – BlackGate

in Elementalist

Posted by: DegX.3685

DegX.3685

Just today I want to started a Ele only for PvP, somebody know a good build what works after the last patch?

in Elementalist

Posted by: chronometria.3708

chronometria.3708

They work; they’re just much less effective and a lot harder to work with (as in, a huge step down in viability from the cookie cutter). You’re likely to spend more time downed than anything. It’s really sad you can’t do anything but use the cantrips and the bunker setups if you want to stay in play longer.

You keep using that word “work”, but I do not think it means, what you think it means.

in Elementalist

Crujiente.8612

You keep using that word “work”, but I do not think it means, what you think it means.

It’s more of an attempt to be positive in light of these changes. I guess I should just stop understating it and say that it it just painful to try builds other than the ones that were supposed to be nerfed, but were barely even scratched.

In WvW you can still get away with some variety, but in sPvP all that variety is pretty much gone if you want to stay alive long enough to make a difference.

toast

(edited by Crujiente.8612)

in Elementalist

Posted by: Redscope.6215

Redscope.6215

The builds that didn’t get nerfed this time around DO work, they’re just not OP like the dd bunker ele. Now that it’s all but lost the OP, assuming you ran one, you’ve got to learn how to not faceroll your keyboard ftw.

Its kinda like how mesmers QQ’d about needing Line of Sight to land their clone attacks and being able to be blinded/dodged/blocked/etc. Learn how to play by the same rules everyone else does, or find the next FotM OP build in class “x”. Either way, the problem is the player needing OP to win.

in Elementalist

Crujiente.8612

The builds that didn’t get nerfed this time around DO work, they’re just not OP like the dd bunker ele. Now that it’s all but lost the OP, assuming you ran one, you’ve got to learn how to not faceroll your keyboard ftw.

Its kinda like how mesmers QQ’d about needing Line of Sight to land their clone attacks and being able to be blinded/dodged/blocked/etc. Learn how to play by the same rules everyone else does, or find the next FotM OP build in class “x”. Either way, the problem is the player needing OP to win.

Apparently you didn’t seem to understand that EVERY build got nerfed BUT the bunker ones. D/D bunker is still the same as always (yes, it’s still “OP” if you guys want to call it that). It’s not a question of OP or not, it’s a question of overall effectiveness. If you think I rolled Elementalist for “flavor of the month” or whatever, you’re sorely mistaken. It’s the first class I ever played and has been my main for a long time.

The point I was trying to make is that it’s much harder to do anything unless you’re cookie cutter BECAUSE of the nerfs. Different builds can work in duels and in tPvP, but in sPvP with randoms it’s a lot harder to get anything done if you’re not using what’s expected, or at least a variant.

toast

(edited by Crujiente.8612)

in Elementalist

Posted by: Xillllix.3485

Xillllix.3485

Cantrip D/D is hardly affected by Cleansing Water and is the only set up able to survive Mist Form Nerf.

I studied the builds and came to the same conclusion.