[Video] D/D: kiting tools, boon duration

in Elementalist

Posted by: taugrim.7604

taugrim.7604

The Feb 26th update brought several nerfs and a fix to D/D Elementalist:

• Ride the Lightning: This ability’s recharge has been increased to 20 seconds (previously: 15 seconds)
  • Soothing Disruption: Vigor and regeneration boons granted by activating cantrips have been reduced from 10 seconds to 6 seconds.
  • Zephyr’s Boon: Fixed a bug that caused Shocking Aura to apply double the boons of other auras.

In this video, I discuss my adjustments to these changes:

• Kiting with a decreased emphasis on Ride the Lightning
  • Stacking boon duration to 90% (1.9x), to help offset the shortened durations of the boons from cantrips and auras

By the way, if you haven’t heard of it yet, GW2 BuildCraft provides a WvW calculator, so you can see someone’s full WvW spec:
http://gw2buildcraft.com/calculator/elementalist/?1.0|8.1c.h1h.8.1c.h5|0.0.0.0.0.0|1c.71g.1c.71g.1c.71h.1c.71h.1c.b1h.1c.b1h|1k.68.1k.68.1k.68.1k.68.1k.68.1c.68|0.a1.0.u35b.u56b|1.1|1n.1v.1s.1u.29|e

As always, thanks to daphoenix for the D/D “Tanky DPS” spec – it’s been so fun to play

Taugrim
Guides and Gameplay: Blog | YouTube | Twitter

(edited by taugrim.7604)

in Elementalist

Posted by: daphoenix.4283

daphoenix.4283

Glad you like it Taugrim

I originally wrote the guide based on your inspiring guides =P

Excala, Expert Elementalist
Fort Aspenwood [EXC]
http://www.youtube.com/user/daphoenix555?feature=mhee

in Elementalist

taugrim.7604

I originally wrote the guide based on your inspiring guides =P

Dude, the guide you wrote for D/D, it’s a freaking encyclopedia and masterpiece

And your gameplay videos are amazing!

Taugrim

in Elementalist

Posted by: teg.1340

teg.1340

Thx for the vid taugrim.

I ran the same daphoenix bunker build in WvW for month (soldiers + clerics). But I find the build dealing do low damage for actually killing opponents fast enough while roaming. At the same time while being extremely hard to kill it took me forever to take down my enemies. And the longer the fight goes chances are good other people engage combat. What started as a 1vs1 often ends in a 1vsX or Xvs1.

So not Im going for a more damage oriented item build.

http://gw2buildcraft.com/calculator/elementalist/?1|8.1n.h1h.8.1n.h4|0.0.0.0.0.0|1c.71h.1c.71h.1c.b1h.1c.b1h.1c.a7.1c.a7|1n.67.1n.67.1n.67.1n.67.1n.67.cc.67|0.a1.0.u35b.u56b|3a.8|e

Its a combination of soldiers armor, knights weapons + trinkets and ruby gems. I just switched clerics trinkets for knights a few days ago so I cannot say how much I miss the additional healing power.

What do you think about this? Are you satisfied with your damage output? Do you have plans for a more damage oriented build?

in Elementalist

Posted by: Graendall.4765

Graendall.4765

What i have done with my build and gear is go 15 points into Lightning and use
Celestial/Berserker/Cavalier trinkets..Might change my weapons to Knights so i get some more critical chance.Churning Earth and Firegrab IF they crit hit for a lot of damage.

Zancrow The Red-Elementalist of [ObV]Oblivion-Hardcore WvW guild
http://oblivion-guild.shivtr.com/
Server-Piken Square

in Elementalist

Posted by: teg.1340

teg.1340

Yep. I’m at 40% crit damage and 42% crit chance (62% with fury). With 25 stacks of bloodlust + a few stacks of might, churning earth crits for up to 6-9k. Dunno about Firegrab because it misses most of the time.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Intigo.1653

Intigo.1653

I disagree with just about everything you do when it comes to heal choice, jewelry choice and nourishment, but you still create decent videos for people who are still learning, so good on you.

You forgot to include your sigils in the gw2buildcraft link, by the way.

80 Asura Elementalist – [Red Guard]
http://www.youtube.com/user/IntigoGW2

in Elementalist

taugrim.7604

At the same time while being extremely hard to kill it took me forever to take down my enemies. And the longer the fight goes chances are good other people engage combat. What started as a 1vs1 often ends in a 1vsX or Xvs1.

Its a combination of soldiers armor, knights weapons + trinkets and ruby gems. I just switched clerics trinkets for knights a few days ago so I cannot say how much I miss the additional healing power.

What do you think about this? Are you satisfied with your damage output? Do you have plans for a more damage oriented build?

The short answer to your question is I am OK with my damage output, because I’m consciously trading off damage for survivability. But your point about ending 1v1’s faster is very valid.

Once I get some karma and badges saved up, I’m going to try out another set of trinkets and jewels.

Taugrim

(edited by taugrim.7604)

in Elementalist

taugrim.7604

You forgot to include your sigils in the gw2buildcraft link, by the way.

Fixed.

Taugrim

in Elementalist

Posted by: Rahm.6138

Rahm.6138

Evasive Arcana…

was it nerfed? i respecced to it because i thought a powerful CE in a half second dodge was awesome but when i tried it it is the CE animation but combat says “shockwave” and it does the same minimal dmg as the staff ability. my 5 sec casted CE does like 3-4k and that tuck n roll one does like 300.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Intigo.1653

Intigo.1653

You really thought you were going to get an instant CE doing similar damage on a 10s cooldown?

Evasive Arcana is amazing. Use the CE to Blast in your fields, use the Water one to cleanse + heal yourself and use the others because they’re decent.

80 Asura Elementalist – [Red Guard]
http://www.youtube.com/user/IntigoGW2

in Elementalist

Posted by: Zanthrax.6538

Zanthrax.6538

I had an idea about running pvt gear to get as much power and crit damage as i can ( not caring about precision in gear ) running the standard 0/10/0/30/30 build but running shorter arcane spell cd in arcane and using arcane blast and arcane wave on 16 second an 24 second cd respectively….i tried it out in spvp and you are tanky as can be but the arcane spells are guaranteed crit and you are power heavy with a pvt build.

Curious how it might be with say pvt gear and beryl ( power vit critdamage ) gems on accessories….anyone else tried a similar idea to this yet?

in Elementalist

Posted by: Zanthrax.6538

Zanthrax.6538

As an aside in spvp i did quite well the burst from arcane blast and wave was beast.

in Elementalist

taugrim.7604

I had an idea about running pvt gear to get as much power and crit damage as i can ( not caring about precision in gear ) running the standard 0/10/0/30/30 build but running shorter arcane spell cd in arcane and using arcane blast and arcane wave on 16 second an 24 second cd respectively….i tried it out in spvp and you are tanky as can be but the arcane spells are guaranteed crit and you are power heavy with a pvt build.

Curious how it might be with say pvt gear and beryl ( power vit critdamage ) gems on accessories….anyone else tried a similar idea to this yet?

Arcane utilities are certainly offensively-oriented, but cantrips provide a lot more versatility.

I think before I’d replace cantrips with arcane utilities that I’d probably think of re-gearing and keeping the cantrips.

But I’m glad to hear it’s working for you

Taugrim