[Video] Roaming as D/D Ele still viable

in Elementalist

Posted by: Mbelch.9028

Mbelch.9028

Ever wish for the old D/D ele to be back in style? Me too, but we have fallen out of the meta and out of favor.

That doesn’t mean we’re not still viable. Check out my video below. It’s not the best footage ever obtained, but I have fun fights (2-3v1s&more) on the daily. I’m just not always recording!

-Nex, [FEAR] Elementalist
https://www.youtube.com/user/GW2FearGaming

in Elementalist

Posted by: FrownyClown.8402

FrownyClown.8402

I don’t think its every been unviable in wvw tbh man. As far as roaming goes it wasn’t very good in the mobility department so the chances of being outnumbered and not escaping and/or outranged by rangers is high.

I’m personally no longer a fan of roaming because of certain builds people play that abuse the high stats.

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vFAQJAoYhcMozhNOwnB8RM0AYSgMAEDpjQN4HUZhb4UA-TlRSwAUUSUR5GR9AjUCCY/hvq/IKI0C-w

Am I close to your build?

Bad Elementalist

in Elementalist

Mbelch.9028

Heyyo, Bad Ele!

I feel for a while it was super outclassed by a bunch of things, but there’s still a niche. Your build is not super close, but seems viable. Try water runes and swap out air for earth if you want to survive 3v1.

in Elementalist

FrownyClown.8402

Heyyo, Bad Ele!

I feel for a while it was super outclassed by a bunch of things, but there’s still a niche. Your build is not super close, but seems viable. Try water runes and swap out air for earth if you want to survive 3v1.

I see, I just noticed damage on interupts so I assumed you had lightning rod. I just went with that and tried to meat your vitality stats. Maybe ill give roaming a shot

Bad Elementalist

in Elementalist

Posted by: Kyon.9735

Kyon.9735

IDK if people forgot how to count or just don’t know the new cast time of Churning Earth post-buff due to the lack of OH Dagger Eles. It hit waaaaay too many times more than it should on a 1v1 scenario. Good vid anyways. Would love to see how it fares against outnumbered with condi cheese.

in Elementalist

Posted by: lLobo.7960

lLobo.7960

IDK if people forgot how to count or just don’t know the new cast time of Churning Earth post-buff due to the lack of OH Dagger Eles. It hit waaaaay too many times more than it should on a 1v1 scenario. Good vid anyways. Would love to see how it fares against outnumbered with condi cheese.

Yes, I’ve been hitting a lot of people with churning earth also.
Sometimes is good to open the fight with it, churning-earth+lightening flash → earthquake → magnectic grasp → updraft → burning speed → fire grab.
It lacks the might stack of the traditional rotation, but as a start puts most people straight down or running.

I run full celestial with a mixed focus on condi and power (power utils, condi duration food) and the burns and bleeds put some good pressure on people, while still hitting hard with fury and might. (can easily keep 2k power and 1k condi with some 10 stacks of might)

in Elementalist

Posted by: SeranusGaming.7362

SeranusGaming.7362

This was always my favorite class/build as it was just so much fun to play. Sadly, I just felt like I was doing 10x more skills to get the same damage as everyone else and at the same time, there was little room for errors.

Kara “Tiptoes” Sheridan (Ranger)
Tarnished Coast Roleplayers [TCRP]
“Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds.”

in Elementalist

Mbelch.9028

Sorry y’all, was traveling so I didn’t have a chance to respond.

Bad Ele, Damage on INT is something I mix in every once in a while, but I typically stick to earth, water and arcana.

Kyon, D/D has fallen out of the meta, nobody knows how to time it anymore.

Seranus, this is my favorite class and build, and it takes more work but is worth it in my opinion!

in Elementalist

SeranusGaming.7362

@ OP,

Will you be making some more vids? I’ve love to see you doing some more roaming. I’ll admit though that the one ranger/thief fight you had made me cringe a bit. As someone who plays a Ranger, I tend to find an ele pretty darn easy to CC + nuke.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Waisenpai.6028

Waisenpai.6028

OH BP is paired with NSP come fight me. I find that if you fight light to medium level people ele is fine. But if you fight a havoc team spec of 2-3 players you will lose. Or high tier players can outs sustain or DPS you. We fight FA and JQ this week and FA is usually 3-7 or 20 -30 So can’t ever have a clean fight. While JQ has 7-12 roaming as a stack and two groups of 25 to 30 zerg pile. When in doubt if you fight NSP come o/ me!

I’m a gold champ LION (Lion Knight ) Tag D/D core ele.

PS I can’t solo 5 man havoc teams or a 3 man burst dps and condi team.

Attachments:

Min Min core d/d ele Borlis Pass Bunny Thumper

in Elementalist

Mbelch.9028

@ OP,

Will you be making some more vids? I’ve love to see you doing some more roaming. I’ll admit though that the one ranger/thief fight you had made me cringe a bit. As someone who plays a Ranger, I tend to find an ele pretty darn easy to CC + nuke.

I’m an OG ele (playing D/D since game start basically) so I have some old videos that still stand. But the answer is yes! I recorded some videos today and I hope to put another out very soon.

Also yes, the ranger was clearly bad but he and the thief should theoretically be able to beat me, right?! Lol. That’s how I look at roaming nowadays. If two people beat me with all those stacks and foods and everything people are buying, that’s fine. I can’t help it. But if I can beat two or more people, that’s just fun!

If you ever need anything in game just PM me!

in Elementalist

Mbelch.9028

OH BP is paired with NSP come fight me. I find that if you fight light to medium level people ele is fine. But if you fight a havoc team spec of 2-3 players you will lose. Or high tier players can outs sustain or DPS you. We fight FA and JQ this week and FA is usually 3-7 or 20 -30 So can’t ever have a clean fight. While JQ has 7-12 roaming as a stack and two groups of 25 to 30 zerg pile. When in doubt if you fight NSP come o/ me!

I’m a gold champ LION (Lion Knight ) Tag D/D core ele.

PS I can’t solo 5 man havoc teams or a 3 man burst dps and condi team.

If you could solo a 5 man, I’d need to bow down. I don’t think any ele can these days, although I did that feat back in 2014!

But yeah, we should definitely meet up and duel. I’d love it. PM me in game when you see me on or coordinate a time to meet up. I hear Obby Sanctum is fairly empty still :p.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Nikkinella.8254

Nikkinella.8254

Wish I could fight either of you. My current matchup sucks and there really is no one at all to fight. stuck fighting BG and TC. The smallest groups they have are 7+ so its hard to get any fights at all. And ele vs ele fights are always fun, and so rare to happen nowadays.

in Elementalist

SeranusGaming.7362

@ OP,

I’m an OG ele (playing D/D since game start basically) so I have some old videos that still stand. But the answer is yes! I recorded some videos today and I hope to put another out very soon.

Also yes, the ranger was clearly bad but he and the thief should theoretically be able to beat me, right?! Lol. That’s how I look at roaming nowadays. If two people beat me with all those stacks and foods and everything people are buying, that’s fine. I can’t help it. But if I can beat two or more people, that’s just fun!

If you don’t mind, I’ll try to PM you as well at some point and perhaps we can duel. I’d really love to go back to my Ele but I just get so frustrated at times with her and often find myself saying, “if I was playing my ranger or my warrior right now, I would have won that fight.”

Both of my characters run a hybrid build so while everyone knows what the weapons do, they are never expecting the massive sustain I focus on.

That reminds me…. in the old days I run my Ele with a build that give a +movement bonus. I’ve also seen folks using traveler’s runes. What do you suggest for WvW roaming?

in Elementalist

Mbelch.9028

Wish I could fight either of you. My current matchup sucks and there really is no one at all to fight. stuck fighting BG and TC. The smallest groups they have are 7+ so its hard to get any fights at all. And ele vs ele fights are always fun, and so rare to happen nowadays.

I think we may have fought? We’ve at least talked on the forums! I’m one of the oldest D/D eles playing the game. (Before phoenix). Regardless, we can always duel in PvP, or hit me up when our servers on WvW match up.

@ OP,

If you don’t mind, I’ll try to PM you as well at some point and perhaps we can duel. I’d really love to go back to my Ele but I just get so frustrated at times with her and often find myself saying, “if I was playing my ranger or my warrior right now, I would have won that fight.”

Both of my characters run a hybrid build so while everyone knows what the weapons do, they are never expecting the massive sustain I focus on.

That reminds me…. in the old days I run my Ele with a build that give a +movement bonus. I’ve also seen folks using traveler’s runes. What do you suggest for WvW roaming?

I do not suggest traveler runes for WvW. You can get swiftness off so many things it isn’t funny. Try water runes or something that may extend your boon duration, condi shedding or armor. Each will help you, as you can keep your offense up long enough to kill most classes, it’s your sustain as a DD ele you need to worry about.

in Elementalist

Nikkinella.8254

I don’t think we’ve actually ever fought eachother. I know we’ve talked alot in the past about different ele builds and stuff like that. But I don’t think we’ve ever dueled eachother. Unless we’ve run into eachother at some point and just never realized it, I’m pretty sure we’ve been matched up against eachother several times already. I’m one of the few roamers left on YB so i’m pretty easy to find most of the time as pretty much everyone else on my server is usually in a blob.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Lazeris.1725

Lazeris.1725

I feel like I’m making a mistake coming back as a D/D but I want to believe.

in Elementalist

Nikkinella.8254

Do it! its still fun to play even though you have to put in 10 times the effort to do the same as any other class. But that just makes it all the more satisfying when you beat them.

in Elementalist

FrownyClown.8402

So I tried d/d again with this build and here are my general thoughts.

First, its viable and pretty good vs power and condi, however it has noticeable weaknesses.

1.Rangers can destroy you in any situation where you are outnumbered
2. People can easily just run from you
3. If you are outnumbered and are below the threshold for diamond skin than condi kittenters will kill you in a few seconds.

That being said its good for 1v1 and 1v2 scenerios. Anything more than that and you will probably die.

Bad Elementalist

in Elementalist

Waisenpai.6028

^ You can’t out live a 1v2 if playing core ele d/d vsing
Equal skill Condi Chrono or Condi boon corruption Reaper or DP / Staff Daredevil
Add random meta wvw build.

You can beat 2 power builds from bad players. Hey some times I can beat 3 or 4 but they are just bad players.

2 Condi unload builds with moderate sustain can easily drain you to death unless they suck.

Bad Ele and I used to play in the same server, than we were linked in wvw. Also we fought a few times against each other in Diamond league back ins season 2 Before I entered Legendary. I’m sure he did to. It was different back than easier. I solo queue and play during 6pm -8pm pac time got it done in a week or so. Pip scaling bonus was way easier fight a higher rank player you can get 3 win pips.

I mean haven’t spvp since season 2 other than 1v1 dueling in arenas for kittens and giggles. But wvw feels quite meh for ele roaming.

I roam 2-4 hours on week days and 2-10 hours on weekends.

People are bring teams of 2 on TS spiking condis or power hybrid

Running 4-7 Havoc teams

Unmarked Squads 7-16 to dispense death to roamers on home borderline

OrMulti squad campers so let say 3 squads of 10 -20

Our damage is too low outside off team play and requires you play tempest over core ele.

You can baby jab people to death but most classes can do a better job will less skill and time.

I guess swords might change the playing field till than. 1v1 solid if not vsing high level reaper geared on boon corupptions or high level condi chrono boon/ hybrid.

in Elementalist

Waisenpai.6028

Good luck killing classes that want to run from you or out sustain you since after HOT those glass can do better than ele and dish out more power than ele. Not enough to kill you but you can never kill them but they cc like a kitten.

in Elementalist

SeranusGaming.7362

I personally love how the class/build plays and as much as I’d like to try and convince myself that I can make it work, the sad truth is that when I change over to my hybrid Ranger or Warrior, I can so much more with such little effort. Additionally, I find that with the Ranger or the Warrior, I don’t have to change much around with gear or builds to be very effective in every aspect of the game. This isn’t so much the case with my D/D Ele.

Honestly, I feel bad when I run into another D/D Ele while out roaming on my Ranger. The ability to CC + burst DPS just makes me feel sorry for the guy. Of course, once you play a D/D Ele, it’s pretty darn easy to know how to counter them.