Warhorn in pvp. Can it work?

in Elementalist

Posted by: reikken.4961

reikken.4961

Given that it’s even slower than staff is, I have my doubts.

I found that I like it a lot more in pve than I thought I would, giving out an easy 25 might stacks and permafury and heals and persistent AoE blind and etc

but for pvp? the AoEs are all basically lava font except point blank only (since they’re delayed by like 5 seconds to reach ranged), the knockback is actually point blank and takes 2.5 sec to hit, and boons can be stripped, making heat sync look a lot less awesome than it does for pve.

Those are my concerns. So, can it be made to work somehow?

in Elementalist

Posted by: MyPuppy.8970

MyPuppy.8970

According to shatterstone theory: no.

Lily Bertine [NG]/[GiRL]
Nerfentalist of Augury Rock

in Elementalist

Posted by: shinta.8906

shinta.8906

its very good vs range and offeres together with fa a better dps than dagger/focus offhand as its easier to stack might + better dmg skills. it lags mobility but ensures u to be able to kite very good vs range classes. it lags vs melee more than any other offhand though. its very hard vs thiefs but can be done with element of surprise on ur side or very defensiv play at first to Lure their cd’s

ignore first 3 min of kitten ings: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CMDZlaRz3RU

can be played more tanky/supporty too without fa. even harder vs thiefs than tho as u’ll miss fa defense.

in Elementalist

Posted by: morrolan.9608

morrolan.9608

Can it work? No, next question. It amazes me that it received no buffs in this balance pass. How many devs do they have working on balance anyway.

Jade Quarry [SoX]
Miranda Zero – Ele / Twitch Zero – Mes / Chargrin Soulboom – Engi
Aliera Zero – Guardian / Reaver Zero – Necro

in Elementalist

Posted by: PowerBottom.5796

PowerBottom.5796

Given that it’s even slower than staff is, I have my doubts.

I found that I like it a lot more in pve than I thought I would, giving out an easy 25 might stacks and permafury and heals and persistent AoE blind and etc

but for pvp? the AoEs are all basically lava font except point blank only (since they’re delayed by like 5 seconds to reach ranged), the knockback is actually point blank and takes 2.5 sec to hit, and boons can be stripped, making heat sync look a lot less awesome than it does for pve.

Those are my concerns. So, can it be made to work somehow?

It can work, if they make it less “clunky”:

1) Most projectiles or fields should fly/spread much faster
2) CD’s are too long as well, so are the aftercasts
3) It’s kinda important to have some insta-casts in there; slightly nerf sand squall (like remove the prot or the additional 2 seconds of boons) but make it instacast)

I think it could work if they make it a bit more reactive.

in Elementalist

Posted by: BlackBeard.2873

BlackBeard.2873

No, it can’t.

OH Dagger gives good offense + mobility (effective for defense in some ways)

OH focus gives great defense (something much-needed on every ele build) that helps you and your team

OH Warhorn gives…low amounts of reliable damage, no real effective defense, and no mobility – literally the worst of all worlds. All it has going for it is a water field, but without other defensive skills to make sustain from that field helpful (like bunker staff kinda has), it is worthless. Also, the water field is much harder to use than staff. Too many of the skills are just bad, providing neither effective offense nor defense against enemies that don’t stand still in your super-slow fields (like pve). Even for trying to buff, the fire field is on too long of a CD to make it effective, such that you would be better off running dagger. Finally, sharing a little bit of might (which you don’t even have the tankiness to focus on building thanks to the frail body can bad defenses) and fury is also not worth a skill at all. Honestly, ever skill except water 4 and 5 are just worse than their corresponding skills on dagger and focus.

in Elementalist

shinta.8906

didnt played since patch so i dunno about churning earth casttime viability but oh dagger was dead for me. RTL gets easily outmatched by most roaming classes with more gapclosers or gapclosers + range.

if u run for exampel sd + fa + temp u have no viable source of getting the burns on them for firegrab. so that dmg factor is dead too.. so why run dagger oh than?

for churning earth to land u prolly need blink too which u will miss 3 sec later defensivly when ur target dodged or healed up and counter bursted.

waterfield on warhorn is a joke. it doesnt do nothing.. not even cleansing conditions.

as i ran warhorn for quite some time i disagree on the clunkyness of it. ist kinda the inbetween of focus and dagger. problem is they announced temp + warhorn as ele melee spec still warhorn is the worst oh vs melee. one Problem could be that the focus range cc is kinda insta while warhorn is slow moving and straightline casting melee cc.

best thing u can do with wh is running around with 70% reflect uptime and easily stacking might and than hope to not run into boonrupt nec.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Pyriall.1683

Pyriall.1683

Can it work? No, next question. It amazes me that it received no buffs in this balance pass. How many devs do they have working on balance anyway.

They are grossly understaffed.

in Elementalist

Posted by: FatRaKoon.1782

FatRaKoon.1782

Plot twist : There is no staff left since June 2015.

in Elementalist

morrolan.9608

They are grossly understaffed.

So many balance issues and it appears that almost none of the devs working on balance for HOT are working on it any more.

Jade Quarry [SoX]

in Elementalist

shinta.8906

what is called item spiral in other games is a class meta spiral in gw2. they change it so u swap classes and buy new stuff for whatever fotm. theres not even one attempt or intend of balancing anything. the one time this game nearly was balanced even fire ele in line only power pu a bit out of it they forced hot on the playerbase. nearly every new skill will succeed the old one. adding and deleting skills isnt called balancing in my book cause there is no base from where u calculate on. and u dont run a succesfull company and do those things uncounscious..

(edited by shinta.8906)

in Elementalist

Posted by: Supreme.3164

Supreme.3164

It work for me and this is why:

-Dust storm = great bleed application +blind interruption
-Cyclone= unblockable CC to interrupt blocking targets like revs, dh and engies
-Lightning orb= with practice you can land all the hits, typically you need cyclone as opening, all done at mele range
-Wildfire= a deathsentence when running sage amulet
-Tidal wave= aoe knockback, must be mastered to interrupt stomps, clear the point etc etc
-Water globe= rapid team support heal burst ( 2x blast inside on a straight line going through the point)

I won’t discuss whether or not the ele community likes the warhorn, it suits my style and I don’t lose against d/d or d/f so..

in Elementalist

Posted by: StickerHappy.8052

StickerHappy.8052

To all the naysayers, It can:

Competitive Team match right here.

http://imgur.com/PBIQres

It does a lot more than focus:

why do people like focus? Invuln. Thats it.

More healing for team support. Water 4 and 5
Reflects check? CC check. Air 4 and Water 4.
Boon sharing? Check.
Conditions? Check. Lots of bleeds and burns plus those blinds.
Water fields? Check.

Whatever focus can do, warhorn can too.

Fire field = Fire 5
CC =Water 4 and Air 4
Aura = the loss of fire aura from Focus get replaced by magnetic aura on WH, still fair trade.
Blast finisher = Earth 4, lacks 1 from Focus Earth 4

So bottom line:

Focus only steps up ahead with 1 extra blast finisher, 1 condition clear and 1 Invuln. Pro players use it, that’s why everyone flocks to it
Warhorn offers more for the team like AoE healing, Water fields, AoE burns and bleeds and blinds.

One glaring problem of warhorn is the clunkiness is of the skills, and yes Warhorn could use some rework.

Champion Illusionist Champion Hunter Champion Phantom Champion Magus

(edited by StickerHappy.8052)

in Elementalist

Posted by: Asherah.7651

Asherah.7651

I love warhorn, when traited in earth or water its great thanks to reduced CD on skills. It has the best healing out of any offhand thanks to the water field, plus heal and knock back on 4. Fire is great for might stacking, earth is amazing for boon duration and magnetic aura, plus on demand blind and bleeds. Air skills aren’t the best, but the air 4 is alright with action cam. I feel like warhorn offers the best condi option for an offhand as well.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Wolfric.9380

Wolfric.9380

Maybe i give it another try. I see that WH has much more healing potential. But focus suits me very well. Magnetic wave on 16sec CD is a winner and my most loved skill. The invul is a boon that i use 80% for stomping. The warhorn was to slow for me in PvP and WvW combat.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Laraley.7695

Laraley.7695

Boon sharing? Check.
Water fields? Check.

Fire field = Fire 5
CC =Water 4 and Air 4
Aura = the loss of fire aura from Focus get replaced by magnetic aura on WH, still fair trade.

So bottom line:

Focus only steps up ahead with 1 extra blast finisher, 1 condition clear and 1 Invuln. Pro players use it, that’s why everyone flocks to it
Warhorn offers more for the team like AoE healing, Water fields, AoE burns and bleeds and blinds.

One glaring problem of warhorn is the clunkiness is of the skills, and yes Warhorn could use some rework.

You’re comparing wrong things.

You want more offense? You play dagger.
You want more defesne? You play focus.
You want more support? You play staff.

Warhorn is clunky, its boonsharing sucks and the damage from it is not all that great. No one plays it simply because it’s inferior to other offhands.

Winning a game with warhorn doesn’t mean anything and it definitely not proves it’s better than other options ele has.

in Elementalist

Posted by: larocca.8391

larocca.8391

Last few days playing Mercenary amu power/condi ele with scepter and warhorn, it works alright, only build i have found recently after the patch that i’ve had success with apart from fresh air.

Build was originally with focus but i found better survivability with warhorn and the water abilities.
Condi bombs aren’t a problem and theives are ok, reapers you can only stalemate and survive had a hard time actually beating one, had to bring a theif freind in spvp and it still nearly got both of us, ridiculous but besides the point this is a reasonable build, try it and feed back it up if you can.

Runs merc amu but works well with sages too, and carrion, pick your poison.

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vFAQJBLhdSfJ0fJ24AY4AwhJWMAshcwKIIGEAyk9Q3SbqN2C-TpQWAAw+DbZAA

(edited by larocca.8391)

in Elementalist

Posted by: FatRaKoon.1782

FatRaKoon.1782

Warhorn is clunky, its boonsharing sucks and the damage from it is not all that great. No one plays it simply because it’s inferior to other offhands.

Winning a game with warhorn doesn’t mean anything and it definitely not proves it’s better than other options ele has.

^This.

in Elementalist

Supreme.3164

Focus offers no pressure so…better to do little than nothing at all, yeah kk that invulnerability is nice..but that’s it, a single skill to save focus from the trash can, in the end both got their uses, it’s just that more defense not always translate to better performance

(edited by Supreme.3164)

in Elementalist

reikken.4961

-Cyclone= unblockable CC

oh I forgot cyclone is unblockable
That makes the CC better than I thought. Even if tidal surge is still useless…

in Elementalist

Posted by: kuritsutian.2987

kuritsutian.2987

For support I am kinda prefering Warhorn over staff.
The heals are somewhat better, improved magnetic aura, blind on downed, boon share, aoe cc.

When not support, other offhands are better-

Suddenly in the Forums Everyone is now a Game designer!

in Elementalist

kuritsutian.2987

Focus offers no pressure so…better to do little than nothing at all, yeah kk that invulnerability is nice..but that’s it, a single skill to save focus from the trash can, in the end both got their uses, it’s just that more defense not always translate to better performance

Focuss offers best cc options for ele in my opinion.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Glenstorm.4059

Glenstorm.4059

Big caveat: I only play hotjoins lol, so take this as you will.

I’m liking Warhorn more than Focus honestly. Though Focus is still king when it comes to personal defense, it feels like you have more options to support your team with Warhorn, although Swirling Winds is definitely great group defense. You also don’t need to be babysat with Warhorn like with Staff (though that is probably a L2P issue on my part.) Maybe it’s just because I’m burned out on Focus, IDK. The Warhorn does have issues though:

-Cast times for Water Globe and Lightning Orb should be reduced by just a tad; no Warhorn skill should have a cast time greater than 3/4 sec, except for Sand Squall, seeing as how it does so much

-Wildfire needs to spread out quicker

-Tidal Surge needs to CC quicker

-Dust Storm needs to spread out quicker. Its animation also doesn’t give a clear idea of the extent of its AoE

-Water Globe IMO should move just a little bit slower, to allow more time for blasting

-Lightning Orb’s targeting is wonky. It can only be cast in a narrow arc in front of the character, which means you have to turn sometimes to be able to cast it. I think you should be able to cast it all around you, at which point your character will turn in that direction to cast it. I’d also love it if Lightning Orb would stun enemies that touch it.

(Btw, here is the build I have been using. It’s not great by any means, and I would like any constructive criticism. It uses Sage’s amulet: 1050 Power/1050 Condition Damag/560 Vitality/560 Healing Power)

Fear the might of SHATTERSTONE.

(edited by Glenstorm.4059)

in Elementalist

Laraley.7695

The heals are somewhat better, improved magnetic aura, blind on downed, boon share, aoe cc.

I find it amusing people say the boonshare is so good. It’s useless. It copies only might and fury.

The heals are better? Where did you get thatt idea?

Staff has superior cc than warhorn in terms of support. You get Staic field and Unsteady ground, enough said.

Some blind? Yeah, that’s not enough to compete with staff in terms of support.

in Elementalist

kuritsutian.2987

I find it amusing people say the boonshare is so good. It’s useless. It copies only might and fury.

Staff has superior cc than warhorn in terms of support. You get Staic field and Unsteady ground, enough said.

I guess you forgot about Sand Squall

As of heals I find staff heals only good on point, very situational due to duration, radious and casting time… warhorn ones, besides the knock back are for more dinamic team battles, good for characters scaping from aoe damage … etc …

As of cc really good option for staff is static field, I steady is just alright, everyone knows how to deal with it by now… cyclone interrupts and destroys projectiles… still my personal prefference.

in Elementalist

Laraley.7695

As of heals I find staff heals only good on point, very situational due to duration, radious and casting time… warhorn ones, besides the knock back are for more dinamic team battles, good for characters scaping from aoe damage … etc …

As of cc really good option for staff is static field, I steady is just alright, everyone knows how to deal with it by now… cyclone interrupts and destroys projectiles… still my personal prefference.

I should probably tell you that the gamemode in this game is conquest, you prolly didn’t realize that. Chasing water field or having heals that cover the point? I think the choice is clear.

Let’s think about why staff was meta while no one used wh for a moment.

Well in that case you probably don’t know how to use Unsteady ground right if you can’t get any interrupts with it.

in Elementalist

kuritsutian.2987

I should probably tell you that the gamemode in this game is conquest, you prolly didn’t realize that. Chasing water field or having heals that cover the point? I think the choice is clear.

Well in that case you probably don’t know how to use Unsteady ground right if you can’t get any interrupts with it.

Bah, you always wants to argue with me for the sole purpouse of contradicting, cherry picking here and there, once again I said it’s my opinion trying to avoid your endless antics … about the whole conquest thing, I am guessing you have never fought a DH on point….. just because in conquest doesn’t mean you have to stay on point… that idea is very bunker meta biased … and even while bunkers are viable, they are far from what they used to be … deal with it already!

in Elementalist

Laraley.7695

Bah, you always wants to argue with me for the sole purpouse of contradicting, cherry picking here and there, once again I said it’s my opinion trying to avoid your endless antics … about the whole conquest thing, I am guessing you have never fought a DH on point….. just because in conquest doesn’t mean you have to stay on point… that idea is very bunker meta biased … and even while bunkers are viable, they are far from what they used to be … deal with it already!

Yes, everyone fights off point. Just because some classes stay off point doesn’t mean having on point heals is irrelevant. With staff you also have range, which beats wh just due to that. Someone off point? Np, have 1200 range on heals. What are you gonna do with wh? Run after them and then make them chase your water field?

in Elementalist

kuritsutian.2987

Never said irrelevant, … said I preffer the WH ones, yes, there are situations where staff ones are useful, but there’s times too that staff ones get’s interrupted over and over. In general staff is good at range but lame in close combat.

I still preffer WH for support , boon sharing alone cuts it for me … specially now that aura i sless likely to be picked.

in Elementalist

Laraley.7695

Never said irrelevant, … said I preffer the WH ones, yes, there are situations where staff ones are useful, but there’s times too that staff ones get’s interrupted over and over. In general staff is good at range but lame in close combat.

I still preffer WH for support , boon sharing alone cuts it for me … specially now that aura i sless likely to be picked.

Lol, how is staff lame at close combat? You can actually do more than at range, surprise. Staff gets interrupted? Lmao, really. I’m out of this thread.

in Elementalist

kuritsutian.2987

Lol, how is staff lame at close combat? You can actually do more than at range, surprise. Staff gets interrupted? Lmao, really. I’m out of this thread.

Forgot to mention heal over time is less important now in a bursty meta … see ya.

in Elementalist

StickerHappy.8052

Boon sharing? Check.
Water fields? Check.

Fire field = Fire 5
CC =Water 4 and Air 4

So bottom line:

Wow this guy. Cherry picking much?

When did I say winning a game with WH meant something?

Did you even glance at the stats?
I can post more games like this with WH.

You want more offense? Go play dagger?

• What are you smoking? I dealt almost 1m damage this match with an offhand that is subpar then you tell me play dagger? okay show me a match where you deal 1.5m damage with D/D. please enlighten me. Not solo q matches, 5v5 Matches.

Noone plays it because a lot of people suck playing any class.

Again before you cherry pick my post again, I did say WH do need tweaks and yes its clunky but I am doing VERY WELL WITH IT.

If you still refute my point on my play style maybe because I am just a better player than you?

Here are more screenies, and these are all team matches.

https://i.imgur.com/IRmLb4T.jpg

• Please do tell me if your staff can heal your allies for 700k. and do 800k damage at the same time

https://imgur.com/pfpewqT

• Stronghold match yes it irrelavant but hey “It’s that very clunky OH that I was using”

https://imgur.com/YdV15dQ

• 750k damage and 500k healing

https://imgur.com/cFOuIQe

• 5v5 match, just didn’t screenie the details, but my team and the other team was composed of forum people (kdaddy was on the other team) So if you wanna know if this is a legit match go ask them

So do you want more proof? I can post more.

Please come back at me if your FA burst ele can do 1m damage in competitive 5v5 Match and do 400k healing at the same time. Please.

“Damage from Warhorn is not that great”- Laraley

okay….

in Elementalist

reikken.4961

cyclone interrupts and destroys projectiles

would be real nice if it did destroy projectiles, but it doesn’t

in Elementalist

StickerHappy.8052

Where you at Laraley?

in Elementalist

Posted by: MidoriMarch.8067

MidoriMarch.8067

Boon sharing? Check.
Water fields? Check.

Fire field = Fire 5
CC =Water 4 and Air 4

So bottom line:

• What are you smoking? I dealt almost 1m damage this match with an offhand that is subpar then you tell me play dagger? okay show me a match where you deal 1.5m damage with D/D. please enlighten me. Not solo q matches, 5v5 Matches.

Again before you cherry pick my post again, I did say WH do need tweaks and yes its clunky but I am doing VERY WELL WITH IT.

If you still refute my point on my play style maybe because I am just a better player than you?

• Please do tell me if your staff can heal your allies for 700k. and do 800k damage at the same time

• Stronghold match yes it irrelavant but hey “It’s that very clunky OH that I was using”

• 5v5 match, just didn’t screenie the details, but my team and the other team was composed of forum people (kdaddy was on the other team) So if you wanna know if this is a legit match go ask them

Please come back at me if your FA burst ele can do 1m damage in competitive 5v5 Match and do 400k healing at the same time. Please.

okay….

Are u serious? Lol

go try vs d/f ele with d/warhorn u will get ur kitten rekt like a joke

focus > wh everysingle way in pvp/wvw

in Elementalist

StickerHappy.8052

Boon sharing? Check.
Water fields? Check.

Fire field = Fire 5
CC =Water 4 and Air 4

So bottom line:

okay….

Are u serious? Lol

Oh trust me, I fought a lot of good eles.. oh and since when was the post about Can warhorn win against X classes? Stay on topic.

Oh we all know WH is subpar comparing it to other offhands, no one is denying that, The OP asked “CAN WARHORN WORK IN PVP” and the answer is YES

These are 5v5 matches, with screens and you are still denying the fact it can’t work? Lol.
Cmon show me some screens that you deal damage as much as you heal your allies. Please.

Again, this is not solo q. I play support Earth/Water/Tempest yet i do significant amount of damage while healing my allies for a lot.

Again, show me some screens of your D/F ele kittening some people while being to support your team at the same time.

• PS: I can post a lot more screens and you ele mains here can come up with thousands of reasons why It can’t work in PvP, but I guess a lot of forum posters in general are bad in game.

in Elementalist

Supreme.3164

Boon sharing? Check.
Water fields? Check.

Fire field = Fire 5
CC =Water 4 and Air 4

So bottom line:

okay….

Are u serious? Lol

Oh trust me, I fought a lot of good eles.. oh and since when was the post about Can warhorn win against X classes? Stay on topic.

Oh we all know WH is subpar comparing it to other offhands, no one is denying that, The OP asked “CAN WARHORN WORK IN PVP” and the answer is YES

These are 5v5 matches, with screens and you are still denying the fact it can’t work? Lol.
Cmon show me some screens that you deal damage as much as you heal your allies. Please.

Again, this is not solo q. I play support Earth/Water/Tempest yet i do significant amount of damage while healing my allies for a lot.

Again, show me some screens of your D/F ele kittening some people while being to support your team at the same time.

• PS: I can post a lot more screens and you ele mains here can come up with thousands of reasons why It can’t work in PvP, but I guess a lot of forum posters in general are bad in game.

That a d/f beats a d/w at equal skill level can’t be true, the first simply doesn’t offer the same level of pressure respect to the second where it can still count of good self-sustain+better pressure; the invincibility on focus is great, we all know that but the focus is just too defensive and I prefer to do more pressure. The two sets offers different playstyles and when it comes down to 1vs1, it all depends on the player skill..you can even 1vs1 with staff if the skill level allows it

One thing to remember is that focus was favoured last season because we had celestial and could somehow hold 2 , this season though, the quicker you beat an opponent…the better for you, even if you equip a focus , you won’t be able to hold 2..o better go with warhorn and have more pressure with somewhat good self-sustain still

in Elementalist

Posted by: BlackBeard.2873

BlackBeard.2873

Warhorn is worse than focus, by far, against competent opponents. Here is why:

Warhorn tries to be more supportive by sharing boons, having more heal skills, and having aoe CC. However, it is simply ineffective at these things:
- The CC is incredibly slow and clunky, making it the least effective CC ele has
- The boon sharing is ONLY might and fury, yet warhorn has MUCH too long of CD on fire fields so doesn’t even reliably stack might
- The water field on warhorn is nice to pair with 3 potential blasts, but is unweildy to use to heal your team-mates. Please note, when people talk about heals, the large majority comes from blasting water fields, the actual skill healing is only a small part.

Focus is mostly defense/control, with great hard-mitigation in the form of projectile hate, great ranged CC, and of course the cleanse/invuln.
- The hard mitigation in the form of swirling winds provides more support for your team than all the blinds and boons warhorn has, often even the healing. This is because damage mitigated is greater than the impact of all those combined. The invuln is crucial to you playing your support role, allowing you to get timely stomps/resses in skirmishes that warhorn NEVER will.
- Focus gets extra healing over WH from having a shorter CD fire field, which you can leap finish every-other rotation (or switch each rotation with burning speed) to make up for the lower healing in water (healing or auras, which is 90% of the reason to take tempest).
- The ranged CC of focus is far superior, allowing you to get crucial interrupts on-time. Comet is amazing for downed pressure with a quick aoe interrupt, and the unblockable, ranged CC of gale is great. As mentioned earlier, warhorn CC’s are just completely ineffective in the most relevant situations (long cast/travel times, shorter range).

Finally, if you are taking warhorn for damage, you are inherently chasing a flawed role for ele. Ele doesn’t do dps, if you try to build for dps, you just become a really bad scrapper/druid/reaper. If you wanted to dps anyway, dagger is superior, solely for the mobility. DPS isn’t a role in gw2 unless it also has mobility to get to fights quickly, drop damage while they are uneven, and end them before reinforcements. Ele can only be effective playing support and seeking out 2v2’s (and maybe 3v3’s), where they can support an actually effective DPS character (DH, DD, shatter mes, reaper, scrapper, etc.) by being a heal/boon bot. That is ele’s role in pvp. I don’t like it (I don’t think anyone does), but it is really the only thing ele does well.

(edited by BlackBeard.2873)

in Elementalist

Posted by: Wolfric.9380

Wolfric.9380

Agree with BlackBeard. I play focus. While WH has good skills the usability felt bad.
I had a fight 1:2 against a DH and Druid. I admit, this classes if using LB are my best matchups, but its still 1:2. They got smashed by my projectile hat. I fired rebound when seeing them coming before the engagement so magnetic aura would kick in soon. Swap fire blow phönix (I am S/F) and go for a ranged fight. One came close but with cleansing flame and overload i have serious threats close. Also flash freeze and feel the burn help. Stomped the first with obsidian flesh, DH aimeded shure shot —> Magentic wave swap air and fast end …. Never moved in a trap i kite with scepter.
And while i can do alone well, i go with the team because thats where the full potential can be used. Currently i test with sage and mercenary. Not too happy without precision but still good preasure. Focus plays way better than WH for me. In WvW WH is a bit more useful, but there i usualy pull out my staff depending on situation. Most critical oponent is a reaper. Scrappers are dam hard and revenants also quite dangerous while i can handle thievs well unless they stab me in the back when already low on health …

(edited by Wolfric.9380)

in Elementalist

Supreme.3164

Warhorn is worse than focus, by far, against competent opponents. Here is why:

Warhorn tries to be more supportive by sharing boons, having more heal skills, and having aoe CC. However, it is simply ineffective at these things:
- The CC is incredibly slow and clunky, making it the least effective CC ele has
- The boon sharing is ONLY might and fury, yet warhorn has MUCH too long of CD on fire fields so doesn’t even reliably stack might
- The water field on warhorn is nice to pair with 3 potential blasts, but is unweildy to use to heal your team-mates. Please note, when people talk about heals, the large majority comes from blasting water fields, the actual skill healing is only a small part.

Focus is mostly defense/control, with great hard-mitigation in the form of projectile hate, great ranged CC, and of course the cleanse/invuln.
- The hard mitigation in the form of swirling winds provides more support for your team than all the blinds and boons warhorn has, often even the healing. This is because damage mitigated is greater than the impact of all those combined. The invuln is crucial to you playing your support role, allowing you to get timely stomps/resses in skirmishes that warhorn NEVER will.
- Focus gets extra healing over WH from having a shorter CD fire field, which you can leap finish every-other rotation (or switch each rotation with burning speed) to make up for the lower healing in water (healing or auras, which is 90% of the reason to take tempest).
- The ranged CC of focus is far superior, allowing you to get crucial interrupts on-time. Comet is amazing for downed pressure with a quick aoe interrupt, and the unblockable, ranged CC of gale is great. As mentioned earlier, warhorn CC’s are just completely ineffective in the most relevant situations (long cast/travel times, shorter range).

Finally, if you are taking warhorn for damage, you are inherently chasing a flawed role for ele. Ele doesn’t do dps, if you try to build for dps, you just become a really bad scrapper/druid/reaper. If you wanted to dps anyway, dagger is superior, solely for the mobility. DPS isn’t a role in gw2 unless it also has mobility to get to fights quickly, drop damage while they are uneven, and end them before reinforcements. Ele can only be effective playing support and seeking out 2v2’s (and maybe 3v3’s), where they can support an actually effective DPS character (DH, DD, shatter mes, reaper, scrapper, etc.) by being a heal/boon bot. That is ele’s role in pvp. I don’t like it (I don’t think anyone does), but it is really the only thing ele does well.

Your whole argument keep rotating around the defensive aspect..we get that focus is our defensive off hand, the fact is that warhorn never tried to replace focus in its role; the things you can do with warhorn, you can’t do with focus and viceversa.

If your aim is to bunker up a point then by all means try focus, but those who opt for a more diverse role will pick something else.

As others have already pointed out : warhorn sits midway between dagger OH( absolute dmg) and focus(absolute defense), it has more defense then dagger OH and more offense than focus.

Arguably is the best set for pure condi duellist thx to wildfire and dust storm.The heal burst and mele CC at short CD is very nice in my opinion

I really don’t get this hostility towards those who run warhorn, some people like it at whichever level they’re playing..why would they lie?

The amount of pressure I can put out with wildfire and dust storm is enough to deal with any mele spec and if geared as condi, nobody try to stay upclose for more than 2-3s

I even use s/w and I like the burst with lightning orb, I can pull people with cyclone and burst them down, the only thing for me that needs improvements is tidal wave( increase a tad the speed) and heatsync

(edited by Supreme.3164)

in Elementalist

Laraley.7695

Boon sharing? Check.
Water fields? Check.

Fire field = Fire 5
CC =Water 4 and Air 4

So bottom line:

okay….

Lol, dude you’e hilarious. With staff you were able to do comparable damage with more healing and cleanse. Maybe go try it, make million more screenshots and you’ll see.

Sure, warhorn can work but it doesn’t mean it’s not worse than other offhands. Is it the best choice? No. Are you competing on high levels? No. Stop screaming so much, please. And your “it must be a 5v5 not soloq”, just wow. Okay, let me know when you have a game against some prolague team and then post screenshot.

Edit: And don’t forget to add how having a match against forum people is some high lvl pvp.

I also don’t know what you were using post patch, so what do you want to compare?

You’re not even saying warhorn can work, you’re saying warhorn is simply better than other offhands.

(edited by Laraley.7695)

in Elementalist

Posted by: Naurgalen.2374

Naurgalen.2374

While I think that warhorn can work in a pre-made team when you are never alone, in solo PvP is a death sentence: no strong defenses or mobility will make you fresh meat to whatever focuses you. Even staff, that is a group weapon is better to survive in 1v1 situations.

The other BIG problem for me is that warhorn is only tempest related, so if you dont want to play tempest (mostly because overloads are bad for PvP -except maybe air in some builds-, and auras work at best with a team), bad luck.

(edited by Naurgalen.2374)

in Elementalist

Posted by: Asherah.7651

Asherah.7651

I’ve been using a mercenary tempest build with earth/fire/tempest and S/W….I love it! I feel warhorn offers the best offhand condi options…

in Elementalist

Posted by: Glenstorm.4059

Glenstorm.4059

Would appreciate your thoughts on a couple Warhorn builds I’ve been working on: https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/professions/elementalist/Help-with-these-builds/first#post5971272

Fear the might of SHATTERSTONE.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Keadron.9570

Keadron.9570

I like warhorn in pve but for pvp it’s just too slow and the fire 5 and earth 5 take to long to spread

in Elementalist

morrolan.9608

As others have already pointed out : warhorn sits midway between dagger OH( absolute dmg) and focus(absolute defense), it has more defense then dagger OH and more offense than focus.

So it ends up doing more but worse at each, hence why it is poor in high level play.

Jade Quarry [SoX]

in Elementalist

Supreme.3164

So it ends up doing more but worse at each, hence why it is poor in high level play.

Let’s just say that the design of the weapon set is not that bad but..with the way ele has been designed I can understand why people would opt for as much defense as possible in PvP and focus does offer the best defense hands down

in Elementalist

Posted by: MidoriMarch.8067

MidoriMarch.8067

Boon sharing? Check.
Water fields? Check.

Fire field = Fire 5
CC =Water 4 and Air 4

So bottom line:

okay….

Are u serious? Lol

That a d/f beats a d/w at equal skill level can’t be true, the first simply doesn’t offer the same level of pressure respect to the second where it can still count of good self-sustain+better pressure; the invincibility on focus is great, we all know that but the focus is just too defensive and I prefer to do more pressure. The two sets offers different playstyles and when it comes down to 1vs1, it all depends on the player skill..you can even 1vs1 with staff if the skill level allows it

One thing to remember is that focus was favoured last season because we had celestial and could somehow hold 2 , this season though, the quicker you beat an opponent…the better for you, even if you equip a focus , you won’t be able to hold 2..o better go with warhorn and have more pressure with somewhat good self-sustain still

What pressure?

Since when did d/wh provide so much pressure? d/d works more efficient if u want more pressure offensive plays and seems like u are forgetting all those CC’S and projectile reflects along with invul on focus which means u can play defensive and offensive at the same time. Equally D/WH beats D/F ? LOL!
and none of idiots just stay there and get hit by those super short range slow warhorn skills

in Elementalist

StickerHappy.8052

Boon sharing? Check.
Water fields? Check.

Fire field = Fire 5
CC =Water 4 and Air 4

So bottom line:

okay….

Are u serious? Lol

What pressure?

Since when did d/wh provide so much pressure? d/d works more efficient if u want more pressure offensive plays and seems like u are forgetting all those CC’S and projectile reflects along with invul on focus which means u can play defensive and offensive at the same time. Equally D/WH beats D/F ? LOL!
and none of idiots just stay there and get hit by those super short range slow warhorn skills

DISCLAIMER: Again, not saying that WH is the best OH only saying it can work in pvp (WHICH IS BASICALLY WHAT THE TOPIC IS)

A lot of the ele mains and “mains” here keep saying that warhorn can’t work or is awful in pvp, but a lot of you do not even post screens or videos that support their claims.

And please do not even mention top tier, If you do not play top tier (90% of the pvp community) please do not use that argument.

@MidoriMarch

You do realize that one game mode in pvp is about node defending and capturing, so yes, any “idiot” will be forced to stay on the node and fight unless you wanna give free points to the opposing team, you will eventually have to eat some of those AoEs if you are contesting a point.

in Elementalist

reikken.4961

^ The option to kill the enemy and then take the point is always there.