Weapon Swap - In light of the Revenant change

in Elementalist

Posted by: Glenstorm.4059

Glenstorm.4059

So one of the reasons Roy gave for giving the Revenant weapon swap is that they want Revenants to be able to switch between melee and ranged in combat.

This feels like a slap in the face to Eles, since we have no way of changing between melee and ranged. A D/D ele is expected to man up and close the gap against a ranged opponent. A Staff ele’s combat potential decreases the second your opponent gets close to you.

I’d much rather they have reworked the Revenant’s weapon skills to provide better synergy, but instead they went and just gave the class weapon swap. Doesn’t seem fair to me. :/

Fear the might of SHATTERSTONE.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Deth.4109

Deth.4109

Ele is fine as is. Ele doesn’t need weapon swap because attunements give you 20 skills a opposed to just 10. utility swap is not enough in the case of the rev because if your dps skills are on cd you are literally a sitting duck. This choice makes alot of sense because rather than reinvent the wheel they might as well go with the simplest and easiest to balance of all choices.

in Elementalist

Glenstorm.4059

True, Ele weapon swap would be pretty OP. I guess I’m just a bit miffed at the range argument.

in Elementalist

Posted by: alain.1659

alain.1659

Weapon swap on ele would destroy balance (it would be fun though ). What should be done is that the rebalancing of the bloody conjure weapon skills-trait synergy. This will help for people like you, who rightfully demands a flavor for his profession.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Necrotize.2974

Necrotize.2974

Ele also has a nice balance of skills that help gain ground against a ranged opponent, or create it when you don’t want them near you. Staff has a plethora of knockbacks/disables/gap creators/etc to keep people away. D/D has Ride the Lightning and burning speed to help gain ground. Focus has ranged knockdowns and chill to stop people from running, but also has defensive skills to stop their attempts at creating space between you. Scepter is the only weapon without any skills in this category so it has to rely on the offhand paired with it.

in Elementalist

Posted by: nearlight.3064

nearlight.3064

a D/D staff build would be the most broken thing since ever.

Necromancer Main
Taking a break from GW2 to play various
Nintendo games..

in Elementalist

Posted by: oZii.2864

oZii.2864

Stepping into the OP’s hyperbolic vacuum of class comparisons.

If they give Ele’s weapon swap then should we also have a energy cost tied to all off our weapon skills, utilities, and elite’s?

You know because they slapped us in the face, because they simply gave Revenant’s weapon swaps without consideration of it’s other defining mechanics.

So if you RTL, Updraft, drakes breath, then fire grab someone you might not be able to activate Armor of Earth because you used all your energy. Balance Achieved!

/sarcasm

[Good Fights]Sinndicate{Ele}Sinactic{Engineer}
Sinnastor{Warrior}Sinnacle{Mesmer}Sintacs
{Thief}

in Elementalist

Glenstorm.4059

If they give Ele’s weapon swap then should we also have a energy cost tied to all off our weapon skills, utilities, and elite’s?

You know because they slapped us in the face, because they simply gave Revenant’s weapon swaps without consideration of it’s other defining mechanics.

So if you RTL, Updraft, drakes breath, then fire grab someone you might not be able to activate Armor of Earth because you used all your energy. Balance Achieved!

/sarcasm

Ha, guess I deserved that, didn’t I?

Point taken; this was a knee-jerk reaction on my part, and I should’ve thought before posting.

I would though like to second another poster’s suggestion on here to rework conjures. I’d love a reason to slap FB onto my utility bar in PvP as a D/D ele responding to ranged pressure with my gap closers on CD.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Wolfric.9380

Wolfric.9380

or ele can only swap weapon instead of elements so is tied to one element if he chooses the weapon swap …

in Elementalist

Posted by: IrisTheCasual.3742

IrisTheCasual.3742

or ele can only swap weapon instead of elements so is tied to one element if he chooses the weapon swap …

How’s about “No”?

in Elementalist

Posted by: Conncept.7638

Conncept.7638

We don’t need a weapon swap, we do need way more mechanical changes than the developers are apparently willing to put in the time and work for, but a weapon swap isn’t one of them.

(edited by Conncept.7638)

in Elementalist

Posted by: Jski.6180

Jski.6180

Cost to use skills vs no cost is what it comes down to.

Main : Jski Imaginary ELE (Necromancer)
Guild : OBEY (The Legacy) I call it Obay , TLC (WvW) , UNIV (other)
Server : FA

in Elementalist

Posted by: Azel.4786

Azel.4786

I would though like to second another poster’s suggestion on here to rework conjures. I’d love a reason to slap FB onto my utility bar in PvP as a D/D ele responding to ranged pressure with my gap closers on CD.

Conjurers really should work like a for X seconds or until you “drop”, whichever happens first, the appropriate attunement becomes that conjurer, now FGS would override Flame Axe, but it would be a vast improvement to have this.

Seriously, ANET should really consider this as this would make conjurers such an interesting skill to have.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Cecilia.5179

Cecilia.5179

What if they changed the function of staff between Attunements? What if Air Staff was reworked to be melee oriented?

Necromancer Rights Advocate
Restart WvW: https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/wuv/Clean-The-Slate/first#post6208959
#CleanTheSlate

in Elementalist

Wolfric.9380

would be strange. I personally would be pleased do have the option do play like a high elementalist using one element with a weapon swap on 5s(4s in arcane). This is definitly not the same as ele for years and it will cost utility, but i guess manny would be happy with fire ele, air ele, earth ele, water ele :-). It will trigger always the same attunement on swap and it will have less “swaps” and less weapon skills but the rpg factor is there. No one will fe forced to do it. I would even go so far as to make it a permanent coice after a quest. An if pvp players think its not meta i won´t have a problem. Levling 80 is easy and i would “Waste” one slot on it. Especially new players and PvE players might like it.

in Elementalist

Posted by: LesserHellspawn.3160

LesserHellspawn.3160

Anet could have introduced weapon switch for the ele in the recent patch. Skills were so massively reworked across the board anyway, that it could have been balanced out. The inability of the ele to adapt between range and close combat on the fly has been my biggest pet peeve since day one.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Kidel.2057

Kidel.2057

So OP wants 57 cooldown skills? 40 from weapon and 15 from conjured + 1 healing + 1 utility.

Jesus, 57 skills? Aren’t 37 enough already?
Elementalist is already the only class that can completa a full rotation and recharge ALL its skill cooldowns before it’s even completed.

Revenant legend swap is not even comparable to attunement. Legend swap is there just because Revenant can’t customize utility skills.

Plus weaponskills consume energy, so Rev can’t even spam those.

Fine, you can have 57 cooldowns to spam, but half the damage, are you ok with that?

(edited by Kidel.2057)

in Elementalist

Kidel.2057

True, Ele weapon swap would be pretty OP. I guess I’m just a bit miffed at the range argument.

What about using Staff + conjured hammer, or D/D + conjured bow (I believe it’s also a popular build)?
You even have a midrange weapon with the greatsword.

Seriously, weaponswap gives access to 2 WS sets, Elementalist can access 3 with conjured weapon, plus 4 more with attunements.

Never happy.

in Elementalist

Glenstorm.4059

What about using Staff + conjured hammer, or D/D + conjured bow (I believe it’s also a popular build)?

Seriously, weaponswap gives access to 2 WS sets, Elementalist can access 3 with conjured weapon, plus 4 more with attunements.

Never happy.

I have already admitted that weapon swap would be OP for Ele.

I should clarify that I’m looking at things from a PvP PoV, because PvE in this game is largely a joke.

Taking conjures to fill in the range gap seems like a great idea in theory, but in practice, it’s just not viable in PvP. Sure, FB has a great CC and nuke, but you need to be babysat by your team in order to cast it and its skills safely…not to mention losing out on all the survivability and synergy Cantrips provide. Same issue with the other conjures.

I guess I should just go ahead and rename this thread to a generic “Rework Conjures plz” thread…

(I am looking forward to playing a Rev tho)

(edited by Glenstorm.4059)

in Elementalist

Wolfric.9380

indeed adding wp swap would be totally OP. But instead of elemntal swap it would be a nice option. Maybe weaker but with a short swaping delay fine.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Drayos.8759

Drayos.8759

/sarcasm

tbh arguments you could put towards that, is the actual state of each proffession

The Revenant was so underpowered that it wouldnt even make a difference, it was just fodder and nobody managed to kill a soul with the kitten thing, therefore it didnt require such looking into as the other parts are in the middle of creation so they can just alter it while creation.

Elementalist is pretty balanced even if it does lack variety, so would require changes.

i understand the point though.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Mahuyo.3079

Mahuyo.3079

The true it that the reason was because of the weapon synergies don’t work well together, not say that, o in need melee and range, more in the terms that Mallyx is your condie applier and Ventari is your healing, I would ask people what weapon should you run?

in Elementalist

Posted by: Loboling.5293

Loboling.5293

I’d like to see weapon swap available for elementalists when out of combat and on a 1 minute cooldown. Otherwise, it’s easy to change weapons, but the convenience of swapping by a button press once per minute if you can drop combat is very nice.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Shinji.2063

Shinji.2063

Never happy.

Whoever put this conjur nonsense into to peoples heads need to be beaten lol. Even got engies comparing them to kits, getting out of hand.

in Elementalist

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

I’d have no issues w OOC weapon swap for Ele. That’s purely QoL/convenience. That said, weapon swap for Rev was called for for two reasons:

• One of the design intents for Rev is to provide options for those who want to tank/heal. WS allows the player to switch between staff for support and another weapon for offense. Ele’s switch between damage/support/tanking damage using attunements.
  • Before, the left half of the Rev action bar was locked into five skills. Sure, the right half could switch, but only between two fixed sets. Providing weapon swap was the easiest way for ANet to allow a little more versatility for Rev. Even with swap, Rev looks to be more “on rails” than the core professions. Imo, Ele’s should not be complaining about lack of versatility.

(edited by IndigoSundown.5419)

in Elementalist

Mahuyo.3079

The add thing to think about we might not be getting anyother skills types 4 rev, the weapon swap was really needed, I would say if you played the demo you could tell. And why is this under Ele forums, I mean eles don’t even need weapon swap.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Grimreaper.5370

Grimreaper.5370

I would MUCH rather they balance the ele around the idea of 1s or even no cd on attunement swap. That would make the class soo much more interesting. I would be willing to suffer major nerfs for this buff alone.

(edited by Grimreaper.5370)

in Elementalist

Posted by: Menadena.7482

Menadena.7482

What if they changed the function of staff between Attunements? What if Air Staff was reworked to be melee oriented?

It sounds nice in theory but you are forgetting cooldowns.

What I REALLY want to see could be done across all professions. Let us define builds (weapon, traits, skills, etc) and swap between them as needed. It can even be another window if they want, as long as they implement it.

in Elementalist

Kidel.2057

Tempest is probably getting a different attunement mechanic however. 3 attunements were mined, so I’m guessing Air+Fire, Air+Earth and Air+Water.
Also the datamined fire tornado looks a lot like Air+Fire.

It’s possible that tempest is going to get 3 completely new sets of weaponskills, or just air + weaponswap, who knows?

This would also open many possibilities for future fire, water and earth specs.

in Elementalist

Mahuyo.3079

Tempest is probably getting a different attunement mechanic however. 3 attunements were mined, so I’m guessing Air+Fire, Air+Earth and Air+Water.
Also the datamined fire tornado looks a lot like Air+Fire.

It’s possible that tempest is going to get 3 completely new sets of weaponskills, or just air + weaponswap, who knows?

This would also open many possibilities for future fire, water and earth specs.

Your talking about attunement merging, i did think of this, but the thing is Ele is based on the 4 attunements, and how would they add such a thing in. I don’t think they will sacrifice the attunement swapping 4 something like that, i could see there being another 2 attunement being “light” and “dark” kinda referring to i think the gods but which 1s i don’t know. There was something i saw in 1 of the mined attacks that was “Synergy” now whether this is our new mechanic or something i can’t say