Weapon Swapping vs. Switching Attunements

in Elementalist

Posted by: FlamingFoxx.1305

FlamingFoxx.1305

It’s actually not an issue I don’t think.
As a Staff ele when an enemy gets too close you have a lot of ways to counter and get yourself back to a distance (even against multiple foes). You’re meant to be constantly moving anyway xD.

Air skill 3 blasts enemies back, skill 5 will stop them for a second.
Skill 4 on Water chills them so they can’t run at you.
Skill 5 on Earth immobilizes foes and then skill 4 cripples them.

I don’t think a weapon swap for ele’s would work, even on a long cool down. You’re giving them access to far too many attacks at once. People could just wait until the opportune moment to switch and effectively hit an enemy with 40 skills. Would break balance in PvP.

Also don’t forget we have the Conjure weapons which are really there to mitigate this issue. We have a Hammer, Shield, Bow and Greatsword. Two of which are close range and two of which are distance (technically the Greatsword can be close range as well, but it works best from a distance).

So if you’re a dagger ele you can take the GS or Ice Bow along. Or the opposite. Although I’m a staff ele and I quite often take the Ice Bow along anyway.

in Elementalist

Posted by: pdboddy.4162

pdboddy.4162

Sure, lets make elementalists like other classes. Let’s bump them up to heavy armor and give them a great 100 wands ability, oh and we could add illusionary doubles cause why not?

Seriously, the elementalist is an awesome profession. Sure, the other classes that can weapon swap have a minor advantage in being able to have a melee and ranged weapon setup. But they are just as boned as everyone else when they run into something or someone who’s their perfect counter.

You do the best you can in deciding what weapon, armor, skills and traits to equip. Elementalists have the most awesome ability in the game: to laugh at cooldowns every time they switch attunements. Taking away one of the defining characteristics of the profession makes it less worthwhile to play.

in Elementalist

Posted by: waka.9826

waka.9826

Is this thread serious?

It can’t be serious can it?

in Elementalist

pdboddy.4162

Is this thread serious?

It can’t be serious can it?

There have been a few threads recently calling for the ability to switch weapons, with various crappy suggestions on how to achieve it.

Sadly they are serious.

People failing to comprehend the profession.

in Elementalist

pdboddy.4162

I’m not saying that they absolutely need this, but it would be nice to be able to switch to D/D from a staff without having to leave combat. Also for PvP purposes this could only apply to PvE.

I’m just curious to what everyone thinks of this.

It is a terrible idea.

in Elementalist

pdboddy.4162

I’m not saying that they absolutely need this, but it would be nice to be able to switch to D/D from a staff without having to leave combat. Also for PvP purposes this could only apply to PvE.

It is a terrible idea.

Then I appreciate your opinion. All it was, was simply an idea.

The reason why I am harsh is that mainly this idea would have people up in arms. If your intention is that the attunements remain, even with weapon swapping having a full minute cooldown, elementalists would be incredibly powerful.. to the point of being hugely op.

If your intention is to remove the attunements to allow weapon swapping, you would be removing the elementalist’s key ability: to always be doing something. No matter what build: auramancer, condition, pure dps… the elementalist is never waiting, they are always doing. That is incredibly flexible and hugely powerful. And I think it vastly outweighs the ability to switch weapons in combat.

in Elementalist

waka.9826

It is a terrible idea.

Then I appreciate your opinion. All it was, was simply an idea.

The reason why I am harsh is that mainly this idea would have people up in arms. If your intention is that the attunements remain, even with weapon swapping having a full minute cooldown, elementalists would be incredibly powerful.. to the point of being hugely op.

If your intention is to remove the attunements to allow weapon swapping, you would be removing the elementalist’s key ability: to always be doing something. No matter what build: auramancer, condition, pure dps… the elementalist is never waiting, they are always doing. That is incredibly flexible and hugely powerful. And I think it vastly outweighs the ability to switch weapons in combat.

I would only be open to this idea is if the elementalist lost all his utility skills and armor as soon as he swapped weapons.

in Elementalist

pdboddy.4162

I would only be open to this idea is if the elementalist lost all his utility skills and armor as soon as he swapped weapons.

How about stuff stays as it is now? :P

in Elementalist

waka.9826

How about stuff stays as it is now? :P

It was sarcasm lol. And the guy who made this thread should feel really bad.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Rayti.6531

Rayti.6531

I also don’t like the idea of elementalists being able to swap weapons in combat. It would be way too OP.

What I always supported was:
Being able to define 2 weapon sets (just like other classes in the weapon slots) and let the weapon swap key work outside combat.

It would take away the frustration of always opening the inventory or hero window to search for those kitten daggers in midst of all the rubbish and equipping them in the right order when it comes to sigils… Especially when swapping back to staff the daggers land randomly somewher between crafting materials, food, etc.

I know that sounds like I’m just too lazy… But everyone who already has been called to be somewhere in WvW as soon as possible, being equipped with a specific weapon set and trying to equip it whilst running knows what I’m talking about.

Also a very nice situation: Having equipped the main-hand and whilst searching for the off-hand piece you’re being attacked out of nowhere and therefore can’t equip the 2nd weapon… Also a situation that can be avoided by the out of combat swap.

I’m quite sure, that’s also one of the “crappy suggestions” made by others in other threads… Actually I think, that even the ANet team also once stated something about this out of combat swap… But I can of course also be mistaken…?

(edited by Rayti.6531)

in Elementalist

Posted by: MarzAttakz.9608

MarzAttakz.9608

Make conjured weapons take up the second weapon slot, don’t unsummon the weapon if the skill has been used and removed from your bar. That way you still have limited access to a secondary weapon albeit with a finite number of charges.

If that’s too powerful then make the conjured weapon replace the attunement skills associated with the conjure i.e. Lightning Hammer replaces your current air skillset, Frost Bow replaces your water skillset etc.

YOU KNOW THERE AIN’T NO REST FOR THE WICKED, TILL WE CLOSE OUR EYES FOR GOOD.

Once proud member of Extraordinary Gentlemen [EXG]{DESO4LIFE}

in Elementalist

Posted by: Nanoha.3892

Nanoha.3892

It’s really not that difficult to leave combat and switch weapons. In places where you can’t is usually pve in which case you just use a bit of forward thinking and choose the correct weapon beforehand. I don’t really know how this works in spvp now though, can you not switch weapons at all anymore or something? I do like the idea of being able to define two weapon sets and using the wep switch key out of combat though. I wouldn’t be against in combat wep switch with a larger than usual cooldown and which throws all your attunments on a high cooldown too (20 seconds say).

in Elementalist

Posted by: Cenka.9357

Cenka.9357

o.o AN in combat weapon switch really would make our class overpowered, attunement dancing for me on dd is part of the fun, what I would like however is a slot for out of combat to do a switch ( so not having to staff hunt ) but that suggestion has long since been put out there and discussed, that and I’m pretty much getting used to doing nearly everything on dd and utility skill.s.

in Elementalist

Posted by: bashoo.6854

bashoo.6854

o.o AN in combat weapon switch really would make our class overpowered, attunement dancing for me on dd is part of the fun, what I would like however is a slot for out of combat to do a switch

Agree, Ele should be able to switch weapons out of combat only.
we can do this in pve from inventory, so why not by pressing one single button?
in pvp when match begins all skills and weapon switches (from inventory) are locked for ele.
would it be OP if ele could switch weapons in pvp out of combat?

in Elementalist

Posted by: Methal.9045

Methal.9045

Sure, lets make elementalists like other classes. Let’s bump them up to heavy armor and give them a great 100 wands ability, oh and we could add illusionary doubles cause why not?

why not? every profession is the same in this game anyway. all dps, all healing, all utility, all tank…oh wait. Nope not all can tank. Just warriors and guardians.

Guild warrior/guardian 2.

Not saying elementalist isn’t fun. Just saying its gimped compared to either of these two classes.

in Elementalist

Posted by: MarzAttakz.9608

MarzAttakz.9608

This topic has come up about twice per month since beta weekend one with zero comments from the developers and countless arguments in favour and in opposition to the idea. Most people are in favour of an out of combat only weapon swap and a few people posted theoretical rotations that could abuse the mechanic.

Until we receive word from ArenaNet or come up with alternative ideas like the one I posted a few posts up I think it’s safe to assume that the feature will never be implemented.

YOU KNOW THERE AIN’T NO REST FOR THE WICKED, TILL WE CLOSE OUR EYES FOR GOOD.

Once proud member of Extraordinary Gentlemen [EXG]{DESO4LIFE}

(edited by MarzAttakz.9608)

in Elementalist

Posted by: dreztina.4820

dreztina.4820

The only weapon swapping elementalists need is for conjured weapons to act like temporary swappable weapons.

Out of Attunement – D/D Ele
Maguuma

in Elementalist

Posted by: Shimond.2478

Shimond.2478

Not a good change. You want to change the core component in what makes the class work, simply because you don’t like how it works. If Anet intended us to use more than one weapon in combat we’d be able to (and likely lose at least half our attunes – no thanks).

in Elementalist

Posted by: Hoyvin.3241

Hoyvin.3241

Weapon switching in combat, no. You get 20 skills with one weapon, everyone else gets 10 with two. Roll a mesmer.

I would however like the ability to switch from staff to D/D without going back to the character screen, out of combat of course.

in Elementalist

pdboddy.4162

The only weapon swapping elementalists need is for conjured weapons to act like temporary swappable weapons.

They are. Cast cast cast F.