Weapon sets Ranking

Weapon sets Ranking

in Elementalist

Posted by: Arheundel.6451

Arheundel.6451

After the recent buffs to the d/d set, it should be clear to (almost) everybody that Anet does listen to our concers about this profession, I remember all the complaints about d/d from way back on the GW2 guru forum.

This set has gone from being the least used to the most used, now why don’t we set up a sort of ranking for the weapon sets availalbe? This ranking will be based on the amount of “useless” skills present on a particular weapon, going from the one with the least amount to the one with the most, trying also to list which skills you consider useless and why; with all hope it will possible to better identify the weapon set which allows the least amount of viable build, hoping Anet will change it somehow.

Here’s my list, from most viable weapon to the least useful:

1) Dagger MH
2) Dagger OH
3) Trident
4) Staff
5) Focus
6) Scepter

I find the scepter the least useful weapon with the biggest amount of useless skills:

1) Dragon’s tooth= small radius-large activation delay
2) Phoenix = very slow moving – slow activation
3) Shatterstone = very low dmg – insignificant secondary effect – slow activation – small radius
4) Ice Shards = low dmg – no secondary effect
5) Dust devil = low dmg – slow moving – ineffective blind skill

Preceded by focus

1) Fire shield = short duration – short burning duration – long CD
2) Flamewall – short duration – small area effect – low dmg – short burning duration
3) Gale= very long CD – small area effect
4) Freezing gust = short chill duration ( last 2s and not 3s)

What’s your list?

Weapon sets Ranking

in Elementalist

Posted by: ArmageddonAsh.6430

ArmageddonAsh.6430

I have only used Staff and D/D so cant comment on them all – though i found the Staff to be kinda weak and VERY boring to play its attacks were quite easy to dodge and though i like being range i just didnt like the staff.

I love my D/D build though.

Weapon sets Ranking

in Elementalist

Posted by: Proseph.3504

Proseph.3504

After the EA nerf, I would place staff dead last. Scepter/Dagger combo has a lot of burst potential and can be very fun.

Weapon sets Ranking

in Elementalist

Posted by: Dacromir.6207

Dacromir.6207

Scepter is a very powerful skill in the right hands. You just have to adapt your play.

For example, take Dragon’s Tooth/Phoenix. Those skills are incredibly hard-hitting. They’re equivalent to two backstabs. However, they’re also slow.

What this means is that alone, they’ll rarely hit the enemy. However, if you pair them with an immobilize or stun/KD, then you can get a truly massive burst of damage on the enemy. Combine them with Signet of Earth and you’ll be very likely to get the hit, especially if you’ve fooled the enemy into burning their condition removals earlier on in the fight.

The scepter’s damage is slower, more deliberate, and tends to be more condition-focused. However, it definitely has its uses and works better than staff as ranged single-target.

Weapon sets Ranking

in Elementalist

Posted by: Ploppy.2917

Ploppy.2917

I’d push D OH one rank up and switch Scepter with Focus, but that’s based on personal preference. I’d rather have mobility, range, and a good mix of AoE and (weakened) single target damage (S/D) than a defensive build geared for cc and close combat that lacks its best gap closer (D/F). /D builds are always useful, D/ builds can still be messed up.

Weapon sets Ranking

in Elementalist

Posted by: Half Tooth.1867

Half Tooth.1867

This isn’t exactly constructive, but Trident probably shouldn’t be on the list since it’s not like ele has any other underwater weapon choice.

Also, I think it is entirely down to the individual playing. I notice you’ve put focus near the bottom. But I found (after playing with a focus instead of another dagger due to me accidently salvaging it) that it’s protective abilities prolonged my survivability in PvE immensely. It does do less damage, but obsidian flesh is priceless in near death experiences, being able to relfect projectiles back to their source is so helpful, (and looks comical when it’s a boulder or something) Knockdown and daze and also useful interupts. The only nearly entirely useless skill is the 5th fire one since you have other ways of burning an enemy and it doesn’t add any extra protection.

Weapon sets Ranking

in Elementalist

Posted by: mouse.1689

mouse.1689

1) Dagger OH
2) Dagger MH
3) Scepter
4) Staff
5) Trident
6) Focus

imo. D/D is the strongest weapon set right now, but Scepter can be very strong when played correctly as well. The main thing is that you have to play it like a melee class, just like D/D. Hitting with Phoenix is easy if you’re right on top of your opponent. Hitting with Dragon’s Tooth is doable as well if you use it immediately after Updraft or Earthquake.

S/D has stronger AoE and significantly more burst damage than D/D, it just requires more setup, and connects less consistently. In a group skirmishing scenario where you can rely on teammates to help apply cc, Scepter is arguably a better choice. For hotjoin and WvW, D/D is better because it’s more self reliant and has greater survivability.

Weapon sets Ranking

in Elementalist

Posted by: OddFinrir.6801

OddFinrir.6801

After the EA nerf, I would place staff dead last. Scepter/Dagger combo has a lot of burst potential and can be very fun.

Did you try any other build than a bunker?

Weapon sets Ranking

in Elementalist

Posted by: WhimsicalPacifist.2943

WhimsicalPacifist.2943

This isn’t exactly constructive, but Trident probably shouldn’t be on the list since it’s not like ele has any other underwater weapon choice.

It is useful to use against targets on land (situational). The control skills work from underwater against targets on land and they’re essentially free if used right before jumping out of the water.

Weapon sets Ranking

in Elementalist

Posted by: Fishbait.6723

Fishbait.6723

I`d second that Trident should be last, if on the list at all.
Our underwater damage is non-existant & anyone above the water can out pew pew your trident with ease. Been there, done that.

Not used S/F since BWEs & early release.

I`d also guess that there`re more using D/D lately, not just due to the recent nerfings, but also because you stand a lot more chance surviving then if you`re using staff.

“We want you to play the game, not the UI” Arenanet.
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/suggestions/Top-right-GO-away/first#post2096524
Rocking Wizard Wars until this mess of a game is fixed…

Weapon sets Ranking

in Elementalist

Posted by: FirstRyder.2091

FirstRyder.2091

As someone who mainly does WvW:

1.) OH Dagger. Every single skill is worthwhile.
2.) Staff. Range makes it required during siege.
3.) Scepter. Great if you can get it to hit.
4.) Focus. There’s one skill on here that is so good in one particular situation that I don’t care to talk about it.
5.) MH Dagger. Good, but often you won’t be able to close to melee range, and you shouldn’t be dueling.

Ryder of Ashes – 80 Elementalist
Serene Ryder – 80 Mesmer
- Dragonbrand -