What are your target settings?

in Elementalist

Posted by: TakeAChance.7186

TakeAChance.7186

Forgive me if I sound like a complete noob, but I have started to take wvw more seriously and need some help or advice.

Using d/d is fun and all, but the auto targetting system ruins any escape plans with RTL. If I turn it off, I have a hard time keeping track of enemies and find myself whiffing combo opportunities due to losing a target. Escaping becomes a breeze tho.

What are you using to ensure the best attack and escape methods possible?

in Elementalist

Posted by: Navzar.2938

Navzar.2938

Keep auto target off and use tab or click. Most of d/d skills are actually manual target anyway. Also remember to turn off melee assist so you can run through foes to dodge more easily.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Gaudrath.6725

Gaudrath.6725

I also keep the “target closest” on my middle mouse button, makes things easier sometimes, especially because I regularly switch between weapon sets and clicking can be a chore in PvE if you’re circle strafing . Just have to remember to click anywhere to clear my target before I RTL outta there.

Uthgar Stormbringer, elementalist
Sigurd Greymane, guardian
~ Piken

in Elementalist

Posted by: Volfurious.9231

Volfurious.9231

I keep my auto target off because of RTL. I use tab to target people.

in Elementalist

Posted by: ThiBash.5634

ThiBash.5634

Funny that you mention that. The targetting system really annoys me, as auto select makes me attack stuff whenever I swap attunement or even summon an elemental. Yet at the same time, I often seem to lose targets ofr no apparent reason, and my elementalist sometimes stops attacking altogether.

So to be honest, both options are unsuable to me at the moment. I kinda need to keep attacking at all, yet at the same time, it seems to always target way more than I want to.

When I don’t want it to work, it does, and when I do want it to work, it doesn’t. Does that make sense?

If you can read this then it is proof that ArenaNet’s moderators just, kind and fair.

in Elementalist

Posted by: TakeAChance.7186

TakeAChance.7186

Is there a “lock target” button along with a “drop target” button?

in Elementalist

Posted by: Shathron.5790

Shathron.5790

Annoyingly enough, i’ve found no “clear target” bind. However, the bind named “lock autotarget” will function as a “clear target” if you have auto-targetting disabled. Use this bind whenever you plan on escaping with RTL. Clicking on an empty spot on the screen works sometimes but it’s not reliable, espacially not in WvW.

in Elementalist

Navzar.2938

Just click with the ground with the mouse to clear target.

in Elementalist

Shathron.5790

Just click with the ground with the mouse to clear target.

That’s the option i was referring to when saying it’s not reliable. If there’s something that you dont see where you click and you accidentally target it you’re gonna die. If you move the mouse a little between press and release it wont clear target and you’ll die. Keyboard bind with 100% success rate is just so much better

in Elementalist

Navzar.2938

Honestly, I’ve never had that happen to me. You can click do that with anything that isn’t a target: buildings, the sky, water, etc so accidentally clicking an enemy is really unlikely. Of course there are times you mentioned like wvw where there are a lot of enemies (although you can still click the sky) , so I can see why you’d want an untarget button. If its just for the sake of untargetting your attacks though, why not try using target closest ally? I haven’t tried that myself though, so I’m not sure if it will clear target with no allies around.

(edited by Navzar.2938)

in Elementalist

Shathron.5790

I used target nearest ally up until a patch about a month ago where they changed the behavior to keep your target if no allies are nearby.

Took some experimentation before i found the illogical alternative “lock autotarget”.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Mogar.9216

Mogar.9216

I used target nearest ally up until a patch about a month ago where they changed the behavior to keep your target if no allies are nearby.

Took some experimentation before i found the illogical alternative “lock autotarget”.

THANK U!! I have been clicking on empty space after that patch which is a pain.

in Elementalist

Shathron.5790

THANK U!! I have been clicking on empty space after that patch which is a pain.

You’re welcome, and i feel your pain

in Elementalist

Navzar.2938

Huh? I don’t understand, how does lock autotarget help?

in Elementalist

Posted by: TimeBomb.3427

TimeBomb.3427

in Elementalist

Posted by: rhodoc.2381

rhodoc.2381

Auto Target Off – only and only because of RTL…

[VcY] Velocity – Gargamell