What is Lingering Element?

in Elementalist

Posted by: baalblade.8465

baalblade.8465

On the 15 points on Arcane trait, it’s a passive ability. “Attunement bonus linger 5 seconds longer”

My question is, what bonus is it talking about?

because as far as I know, the only difference from one attunement to another is different skills. No passive bonus stat or anything. (ex: Earth trait increase toughness didn’t stay 5 sec longer) I do notice the last attunement icon stay longer for 5 seconds, but how is it help?

(edited by baalblade.8465)

in Elementalist

Posted by: DEKeyzToChaos.7381

DEKeyzToChaos.7381

Bonuses from the Arcane 5 minor (Arcane Fury) and Arcane V (Elemental Attunement). From how it reads, I would suspect it should apply to Earth XI (Rock Solid), too, but I’ve never used that trait.

Arcane Fury: Grant yourself fury for 2 seconds on attunement.
Elemental Attunement: When attuning to an element, you and all nearby allies gain a boon based on that attunement for 2 seconds
Rock Solid: Grant stability (2s) to nearby allies when attuning to earth

Might I say, “Shame on you A-net for making a minor so dependent on some major triats!”

(edited by DEKeyzToChaos.7381)

in Elementalist

Posted by: Norb.4253

Norb.4253

The 5-point minor traits for each of the elements will linger for a bit. So for example, 5 points in water grants Soothing Mists that regenerates health every second. The Lingering Attunements means that Soothing Mist will linger for a bit after you’ve already left water.

in Elementalist

baalblade.8465

The 5-point minor traits for each of the elements will linger for a bit. So for example, 5 points in water grants Soothing Mists that regenerates health every second. The Lingering Attunements means that Soothing Mist will linger for a bit after you’ve already left water.

Yup, 5 second longer on Soothing Mists. Which is the only good thing about this trait

Arcane Fury: Grant yourself fury for 2 seconds on attunement.
Elemental Attunement: When attuning to an element, you and all nearby allies gain a boon based on that attunement for 2 seconds
Rock Solid: Grant stability (2s) to nearby allies when attuning to earth

Just tested at Heart of Mist.

Arcane Fury: No
Elemental Attunement: Yes, but very short, can only be notice on Fire-Might-2 sec extra.
Rock Solid: No

Which is suck! cause I need my Arcane slot for Final Shield – Shield at 25% HP. And I was hoping I get Earth Toughness per level to stay little longer :/

(edited by baalblade.8465)

in Elementalist

Posted by: Mikura.1890

Mikura.1890

Say you have a trait that gives you 5% more damage while attuned to fire: when you switch to water, you would lose that 5% damage bonus immediatly.

With lingering elements you keep the 5% damage buff from fire for 5 additional seconds after switching to another element.

Edit: look at your buffs as an elementalist, you always have one up, representing which element you’re on. If you have lingering elements and switch attunements, you will have both the previous (for 5 seconds only) and current attunement buff icons up.

Of course it doesn’t affect arcane fury, elemental attunement and rock solid. Lingering elements is not supposed to extend the duration of -boons- by any means, you just keep the bonuses that you would normally have from being attuned to a certain element for 5 additional seconds after leaving that attunement.

(edited by Mikura.1890)

in Elementalist

Posted by: Gothir.3604

Gothir.3604

Say you have a trait that gives you 5% more damage while attuned to fire: when you switch to water, you would lose that 5% damage bonus immediatly.

With lingering elements you keep the 5% damage buff from fire for 5 additional seconds after switching to another element.

The bonus damage from traits like that do not carry over with lingering elements. I tested those traits in the mists with steady weapons when I was working on a burst build. It seems like a bug given the description though.

in Elementalist

Posted by: DEKeyzToChaos.7381

DEKeyzToChaos.7381

So, in other words, the whole trait is just another bug that needs to be fixed :p

in Elementalist

Posted by: Mikura.1890

Mikura.1890

The bonus damage from traits like that do not carry over with lingering elements. I tested those traits in the mists with steady weapons when I was working on a burst build. It seems like a bug given the description though.

Lingering elements has been bugged since beta AFAIK. It doesn’t work for a handful of traits.

One of the attunement bonuses I know for sure that lingers is ‘Elemental Shielding’ from earth 10pts.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Navzar.2938

Navzar.2938

The trait affects the adept minor traits of the other elements, in other words it affects:
Soothing Mist, Stone Flesh,Zephyr’s Speed and Flame Barrier.
Normally each one is only active in its elemental attunement. If you have this trait, you retain the effect for 5 seconds after swapping out of its attunement.

P.S. You’re probably just seeing +boon duration on Elemental Shielding, seeing as gaining 3 sec of protection when you use an aura has nothing to do with your attunement.

(edited by Navzar.2938)

in Elementalist

Posted by: Wyrmdog.2357

Wyrmdog.2357

I swear when I first glanced at this topic I read: lingerie element.

- Wyrmdog

in Elementalist

Posted by: nvmvoidrays.2158

nvmvoidrays.2158

Edit: look at your buffs as an elementalist, you always have one up, representing which element you’re on. If you have lingering elements and switch attunements, you will have both the previous (for 5 seconds only) and current attunement buff icons up.

Of course it doesn’t affect arcane fury, elemental attunement and rock solid. Lingering elements is not supposed to extend the duration of -boons- by any means, you just keep the bonuses that you would normally have from being attuned to a certain element for 5 additional seconds after leaving that attunement.

what this guy said.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Arc.9374

Arc.9374

Except that it doesn’t work for the ‘+x% damage while in Y Attunement’ traits.

Potaters!

in Elementalist

baalblade.8465

The trait affects the adept minor traits of the other elements, in other words it affects:
Stone Flesh
Normally each one is only active in its elemental attunement. If you have this trait, you retain the effect for 5 seconds after swapping out of its attunement.

Which is what i hope for but Stone Flesh not affected at all (just tested in heart of Mist) As for Zephyr Speed, it’s impossible to test that.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Navzar.2938

Navzar.2938

Stone Flesh

Which is what i hope for but Stone Flesh not affected at all (just tested in heart of Mist) As for Zephyr Speed, it’s impossible to test that.

It’s what its supposed to do, but like a lot of other things, its bugged

in Elementalist

Posted by: Ivano.2604

Ivano.2604

Nonsense, lingering effect works as intended, and it work all the time, try to real test things before screaming “bugs” need to be fixed" and so on…

Elite PvP Raiders [PvP] – Fissure of Woe
Kaosberg De Lay
Deflora Pulzelle

in Elementalist

Posted by: ThiBash.5634

ThiBash.5634

Maybe the description should be fixed, so it’s clear the skill doesn’t affect boons. To be honest, it’s not really clear from the description.

If you can read this then it is proof that ArenaNet’s moderators just, kind and fair.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Sabull.5670

Sabull.5670

it’s such a annoyance when people try to answer to these topics when they only have a personal guess how it might work.
Some people got it right, many wrong. So let me gather them againg.

- Lingering Elements does not affect your boons (swiftness, might, protection, stability , fury, …). Their duration is determined by your Boon Duration stat and will not get refreshed or anything like that with Lingering Elements. There is no clear reason why it would either.
- Lingering Elements does not affect traits like “10% more damage in Earth”. This would make sense, but could result in overpowered situations. Like having 20% bonus vs vurneable and 10% from earth, and Fire Grabbing in fire with both of the bonuses. But againg, this is not how it works.

- It works on Soothing mist, so you get about extra 4 ticks of healing after leaving Water.
Does not work on Stone Flesh.
Zeryph’s speed is very unnoticable, so not sure about that. And as earth doesn’t work, so you cannot take them granted.
Flame barrier does linger, altho with its about 20% proc chance it’s very unnoticable. If you use One with Fire, that proc chance does not linger.

So it is bugged? Yes. Is it ok trait with normal build? No.
Is it ok trait with build that has 5 points in all trees and the earth worked? Yea sure, it’s nothing big, but with that kind of spec it’s enough.

[TA]