What's the best build to roam with?

in Elementalist

Posted by: Leinhart.2981

Leinhart.2981

Hi,

As I said in the title, I’m interested in a build to roam, and to be able to kill or at least to survive 1vx.

I wondered if the celestial build is still a thing or not at all… I’m a little bit lost!

Anyway I like all weapons, both conditions damages and direct damages… I just come back for a long pause, and I totally ignore the full potential of our friend the tempest!

Thanks in advance for your help.

in Elementalist

Posted by: ionix.9054

ionix.9054

Sorry, I hAve no good advice for 1vx. I can say most roaming elly I know are running an aura share build for roaming x/focus. That build is on metabattle

D/d used to be the best build. But I honestly have more trouble post condi updates and heart of thornes running as the old celestial d/d. Things aren’t the same as they used to be.

You can still do alright 1v1, but I find 1vx very difficult. For roaming, I don’t find tempest useful. I find myself zipping around way too much and enemies simply walk out of the field.

in Elementalist

Posted by: makku.2508

makku.2508

Trait-wise there is only 1 build post diamond skin nerf, which is Water-Earth-Tempest. You could get away without relying on Water and instead opting for (fresh) air before they trashed diamond skin, though that has always been more of a high risk high reward kind of thing (significantly more damage due to air, but when someone managed to break your HP threshold and stack a good amount of conditions on you things went south pretty fast). These times are gone though, anything that doesn’t involve the meta traits pretty much melts to conditions instantly now. Also, forget about the old D/D arcana build, base professions ain’t nothing but free loot bags for elite specs.

Weapon wise D/F probably is the strongest setup, though personally I prefer D/D. Dunno, it’s just more mobile and has a nice flow to it. Statswise, full celestial. Still a pretty kitten strong build in 1v1 and 1vX, but don’t expect to kill things fast.

There is only one god, and his name is Death.
And there is only one thing we say to Death: ‘Not today’.

in Elementalist

Posted by: fost.9167

fost.9167

In wvw most will want you to run staff for siege though

in Elementalist

Posted by: Jski.6180

Jski.6180

I am having some luck with this new d/d ele build i put together. No ideal how well it works in 1v1 but it seems good for say 5 v 5.
http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vFAQJAoYncMA9Mg1NAGYCcYiFTAzNsmWjrFngSQIgoCEAaAA-TVyHABLpEbIlBMpEEgHAgYnAgEV/5HlGtv/w36BIFwoCtA-w

I am not sure how the rune works with aoe stun brakes but you should brake enofe stuns most of the time to have some nice healing out put for your team.

Main : Jski Imaginary ELE (Necromancer)
Guild : OBEY (The Legacy) I call it Obay , TLC (WvW) , UNIV (other)
Server : FA

in Elementalist

Posted by: MadRabbit.3179

MadRabbit.3179

In wvw most will want you to run staff for siege though

Unless you are roaming with a group of people, you are in for a rough experience roaming with staff, because of all the wide open areas with limited tactical ways for you to funnel a person into your AoEs in a 1vs1 fight.

Rehabilitated Elementalist. Now, trolling the Thief forums with my math.

in Elementalist

Posted by: fost.9167

fost.9167

Very true, I guess just have a staff in your pack if you need to PVD

I ran aurashare with +healing gear on my ele (was a fun build)… I got sworn a lot by people when I couldnt kill siege quickly :>

in Elementalist

Posted by: Wolfric.9380

Wolfric.9380

I roam with this one and its funny. Have a rampager staff in my back if needed but usualy donĀ“t use it.

Its indeed very uncommon and personal style. FSG is a must in this build for roaming.
Food varies. Utility i use mostly the oil but have tuning crystals in my back.

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vFAQJArdn0XC9XiVYCOOA8RgFBAzN1+aztBBgQZRcIIsDSiA-TlSNABOoyTOKBrRJGTnAgo2fAA9AHpKQqPAAFUD4FlHBAQA4o78o78o7sQAnWAA-w

in Elementalist

Posted by: Exciton.8942

Exciton.8942

I think d/d is probably the best roaming set. d/f is good but ride the lightening is really good in open field. If you go with d/f, you will certainly need teammates with great mobility.

Trait wise, I think you will need Tempest/Water. The other trait line depends on your style. Earth/Air/Arcana should all have their advantage.

in Elementalist

Posted by: makku.2508

makku.2508

I think d/d is probably the best roaming set. d/f is good but ride the lightening is really good in open field. If you go with d/f, you will certainly need teammates with great mobility.

Trait wise, I think you will need Tempest/Water. The other trait line depends on your style. Earth/Air/Arcana should all have their advantage.

Regarding RTL: I wouldn’t give offhand dagger an advantage over offhand focus due to this. It isn’t even that great for just getting across the map (unless you trait Air for CD reduction, in which case it gets pretty decent but still not on par with certain other professions). As mentioned somewhere above, I still prefer D/D usually, but I mostly attribute this to having played it almost exclusively ever since release, rather than actually being the stronger build. Offhand dagger is slightly more mobile and offers a little more damage, but offhand focus is just vastly superior in terms of defense and “utility”. The buffed Gale is HUGE and Obsidian Flesh is just the single best defensive skill we have access to. Then add lots of projectile hate and ranged Chill & Daze on top off that.

Regarding Traitline choices: I don’t agree one has a choice here. You will need good Protection uptime, otherwise you just die to Thief autos and power Revs. Earth would be the natural choice here for Protection on Auras, but I could see Arcana working as well due to Elemental Attunement. That already narrows it down to TempestWater + Earth/Arcana.
Even pre-HoT, d/d Ele already struggled against certain condi builds though (Mesmer & Necro mostly). With post-HoT power creep factored in, I just don’t see how you could possibly beat a perma chilling Reaper without Diamond Skin, so we’re effectively down to TempestWaterEarth.

There is only one god, and his name is Death.
And there is only one thing we say to Death: ‘Not today’.

in Elementalist

Posted by: MadRabbit.3179

MadRabbit.3179

Very true, I guess just have a staff in your pack if you need to PVD

I ran aurashare with +healing gear on my ele (was a fun build)… I got sworn a lot by people when I couldnt kill siege quickly :>

Don’t get me wrong; staff is killer at zergs and seiges, because zerg and roaming is like a night and day experience.

In roaming though, the design of staff is just not suited to it at all. It’s just not the long casting time on the AoEs, but the fact that a lot have 1-2 seconds delays between the time the red circle appears and the time the first wave of damage hits. Any player just paying attention can just walk out of it.

Only reason it was viable at all in sPvP is because, Conquest involves fighting over very small points and the nature of that means you can you use your AoEs to pressure those points and force players off.

But in any scenario where players have unrestricted movement or no additional value from being in a certain position, staff is awful.

The amount of telegraphing on a lot of staff abilities is just flat out insane. It’s telegraphing that you would expect to see in a tutorial designed to teach a new player how to dodge, not telegraphing that has any place in an end game competitive fight. The payouts on landing those telegraphed abilities aren’t high enough to justify their existance.

Rehabilitated Elementalist. Now, trolling the Thief forums with my math.

(edited by MadRabbit.3179)