What's the deal with Cantrips?

in Elementalist

Posted by: Archangel.5942

Archangel.5942

Honest question, not trying to start anything here.

Now, it might be because I’ve been an on-and-off player since closed beta (and, even, only a level 49 Ele so far who PvE’s), but I’m just wondering…

The set up I’m running is d/d:
Heal Skill = Signet of Restoration
7 = Arcane Wave (for x stacking)
8 = Arcane Shield (for whenever I use churning earth // I use it in a combo against basic mobs when I can)
9 = Lightning hammer.

Now, every build I see for Ele has Cantrips— often used for all 3 utilities and traited for them. The trait makes them look good and effective, but I don’t see how they could be more effective than what I have…?
Is it a ‘whatever-works-for-you’ kind’a thing, or are Cantrips just chosen because of dungeons/fractals/PvP?

in Elementalist

Posted by: BlackBeard.2873

BlackBeard.2873

Its a pvp thing, where the defense is critical. In PvE, you don’t need to go full-defense, so the cantrips aren’t really necessary.

Lightning flash is amazing, regardless though. I never take it off my bar.

in Elementalist

Archangel.5942

Its a pvp thing, where the defense is critical. In PvE, you don’t need to go full-defense, so the cantrips aren’t really necessary.

Would it be viable to run a non-cantrip build/setup for PvE and then switch them out when I PvP/WvW?

in Elementalist

Posted by: Thaddeus.4891

Thaddeus.4891

Would it be viable to run a non-cantrip build/setup for PvE and then switch them out when I PvP/WvW?

It wouldn’t be viable to run cantrip build in PvE. The cantrip themselves are of limited use in PvE, while the build wouldn’t take advantage of the Ele strength in PvE.

PvE and PvP are too much different and each require different build and skills.

Thaddeauz [xQCx]- QC GUILD

in Elementalist

Posted by: Aggrostemma.1703

Aggrostemma.1703

Archangel:

I think it IS viable…. Possibly I got you wrong but:

You want a build for PvE what does not run cantrips but with a simple modification (traits and utilities) becomes viable in PvP/WvW?

#I no words have"

in Elementalist

Archangel.5942

Archangel:

I think it IS viable…. Possibly I got you wrong but:

You want a build for PvE what does not run cantrips but with a simple modification (traits and utilities) becomes viable in PvP/WvW?

Not so much— I was just wondering if, since Cantrips are so ubiquitous among ele’s in the forum and YouTube and really everywhere— if it was viable in PvE to run without them. And apparently it is

…Would you happen to know a PvE D/D build? XD

in Elementalist

Posted by: Snowball.3497

Snowball.3497

It’s not really viable to run with cantrips in PvE.

Now in general D/D isn’t really viable for PvE either, it’s atleast not amongst the highest DPS builds. If you want to use a generic/easy-to-use D/D build for open world I would go something like 06242 with traits: 0/I-X-XII/VI/VI-X/II.

Particlar – Desolation – [Hs]
World First Wurm KillRaid Sells on Twitch
Origin of Diboof

in Elementalist

Posted by: Thaddeus.4891

Thaddeus.4891

Ya D/D is the only weapons set that don’t really work in PvE. Its the best set for PvP, but in PvE you would be better with

D/F, Staff, S/F or S/D

Thaddeauz [xQCx]- QC GUILD

in Elementalist

Posted by: Pepsi.8907

Pepsi.8907

Well “don,t really work” in a game where you can play as you wish… I agree it is not the most efficient, but as a D/D ele in PVE, they still work great.
You just need to dodge… a lot…

in Elementalist

Aggrostemma.1703

Would it be viable to run a non-cantrip build/setup for PvE and then switch them out when I PvP/WvW?[/quote]

Guys!

The OP never stated he wants to run a DD…

He is asking for a build what is viable for PvE and with a single utility change to cantrips it suddenly becomes viable in PvP/WvW…

Like staff, D/D and scepter/focus builds are…

But yeah, in dungeons D/D sucks… world bosses: same… solo: everything works

Possibly my english is poor…

I cannot quote.. sorry

#I no words have"

(edited by Aggrostemma.1703)

in Elementalist

Posted by: Snowball.3497

Snowball.3497

Guys!

Particlar – Desolation – [Hs]
World First Wurm KillRaid Sells on Twitch
Origin of Diboof

in Elementalist

Archangel.5942

Guys!

Tyrannosaurus #rekt.

But, I’ve been playing D/D doing map completion and open world leveling and shtuff for almost my whole Ele ‘career’(?) and I really wanted to get into S/D because the burst from Dragons Tooth and Phoenix is amazaballs.
Plus, I’d also like to get my staff coordination up-to-par because I’ve neglected it so much since I run solo. And before you ask, yeah, I’ve tried finding people to run with but it’s so low-population in 1-25 zones

Originally, this was to figure out why Cantrips were so ubiquitously mentioned among everyone, but everyone is mentioning builds now, so I might as well kill two birds with one stone xD

TL;DR
Staff, S/D, D/D for open world PvE solo build? (One or the other, maybe even hybrid all 3? and without Cantrips) And no, I don’t need it to be “with a simple modification (traits and utilities) [to] become viable in PvP/WvW?”— I can have a separate build for that when it comes time. Right now, I’m just focusing on open world map completion and having fun. ^^

in Elementalist

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

I’m sure cantrips are perfectly viable for PvE, although I run a heavy Arcane build (with Staff) in PvE myself. I do make use of cantrips a lot more in PvP though.

in Elementalist

Aggrostemma.1703

Really it can be a language-barrier but…

Is there a gear/weapon setup what with the changing of the utilities to Cantrips becomes viable in PvP/SPvP… This is how I translate the question…

#I no words have"

(edited by Aggrostemma.1703)

in Elementalist

Archangel.5942

Really it can be a language-barrier but…

Is there a gear/weapon setup what with the changing of the utilities to Cantrips becomes viable in PvP/SPvP… This is how I translate the question…

A lot of people are interpreting it this way so it probably was my fault on phrasing it like that. But what I’m asking for it posted about 2 or so above this one by me:

Tyrannosaurus #rekt.

But, I’ve been playing D/D doing map completion and open world leveling and shtuff for almost my whole Ele ‘career’(?) and I really wanted to get into S/D because the burst from Dragons Tooth and Phoenix is amazaballs.
Plus, I’d also like to get my staff coordination up-to-par because I’ve neglected it so much since I run solo. And before you ask, yeah, I’ve tried finding people to run with but it’s so low-population in 1-25 zones

Originally, this was to figure out why Cantrips were so ubiquitously mentioned among everyone, but everyone is mentioning builds now, so I might as well kill two birds with one stone xD

TL;DR
Staff, S/D, D/D for open world PvE solo build? (One or the other, maybe even hybrid all 3? and without Cantrips) And no, I don’t need it to be “with a simple modification (traits and utilities) [to] become viable in PvP/WvW?”— I can have a separate build for that when it comes time. Right now, I’m just focusing on open world map completion and having fun. ^^

in Elementalist

Posted by: azizul.8469

azizul.8469

in pve just run glyph build. you can get perma regen/swiftness.

Cutie Phantasmer/Farinas [HAX] – CD Casual
Archeage = Farmville with PK

in Elementalist

Posted by: Salocin.2783

Salocin.2783

More importantly: What’s the deal with airline food?

in Elementalist

Posted by: Fuzzion.2504

Fuzzion.2504

Cantrips.

• Used by staff eles in WvW Gvg and Zerg fights for positioning and survival
  • In DnD , you only need AoEarth and LF for combos and pushes. DnD eles are the initiators of most fights like hammer warriors, so u really want your stability up when it counts.
  • In SnF and SnD just take LF. You have good medium range and will need to know that you are going to be doing a lot of damage and some CC
  • cantrip mastery is a must
  • full signet builds without cantrips are possible but they are troll builds and not easy to play
  • LF is your bare min,
  • Mist is the least needed post nerf
Fuzzionx [SF]
Guest member of [LOVE]
JQ official Prime Minister

in Elementalist

Posted by: Rangerdeity.5847

Rangerdeity.5847

for pvp cantrips are almost a must a few good builds that dont use them in pve they are pretty worthless with a few exceptions in WvW its a L2P thing until you get great at positioning catrips all the way after you get good glyph of storms ice bow and whatever else floats your boat

in Elementalist

Posted by: robertul.3679

robertul.3679

It’s very easy. In PvP most eles run very defensive setups. They go 00266 or 02066 with either d/d or staff. They run cantrips and they trait them for condi removal, regen, vigor etc. They are defensive in nature, although you can use lightning flash offensively for some nice combos. You do this because elementalist is a glassy class. Low hp, low armor, limited damage mitigation. Of course celestial pushes things over the top in both dps and sustain but that’s another story!
The exception to that is fresh air scepter/focus in pvp. It’s for crazy burst but at a big sacrifice in defense/sustain. It can push from hero to zero a lot of classes and it’s very hard to actively avoid except killing said ele.

Now in PvE you go full glass max deeps big numbers with scepter/x lightning hammer, staff fire camping(except some swiftness blasting and whatnot) or a more conservative take with dagger/focus. d/f gives superior defensive skills for harder content. Utility is never cantrips. It’s a combo of arcane wave, fire signet, lightning hammer, icebow and maybe arcane shield if you feel the need for some extra defense.