What's the logical reasoning behind nerf?

in Elementalist

Posted by: Valento.9852

Valento.9852

Rumours fly that staff tempest will be nerfed next week. I would like a logical reasoning for so, given they have the smallest health pool and the fewest ways of staying alive if they want to be part of a decent raiding group?

If a staff ele wants to keep up with the required damage for raid bosses while staying alive they have two ways of surviving (besides healing skill that all classes have access to):
- Elemental Bastion (tiny healing to avoid downed)
- “Rebound!” (elite skill with high cd to avoid downed)

So, with further nerfs to staff ele we won’t have ways to bring up a comparable damage, and thus replaced by other classes. Is it really necessary to nerf staff instead of improving other classes so they’re on par with tempest? Or you just can’t because you plainly denied PvE to favor PvP, no matter how that hurts PvE playerbase?

Just don’t tell me you’re basing off such nerf on [qT] guild 4manning raids, as that’s far from representative of the rest of raiding playerbase.

It’s about kittening time PvE is freed from PvP. Balancing everything altogether is becoming increasingly unhealthy for PvE.

Attempts at ele specs:
Shaman
Conjurer

in Elementalist

Posted by: Ryou.2398

Ryou.2398

Where do people hear these rumors? And im fairly sure it has more to do with the staff in general because people cap one element or something im not really sure, anyways I doubt this would be the only thing, they seem to be interested in making all classes fun lately. Besides why are rumors always the one negative thing where are the positive rumors?

in Elementalist

Valento.9852

Where do people hear these rumors? And im fairly sure it has more to do with the staff in general because people cap one element or something im not really sure, anyways I doubt this would be the only thing, they seem to be interested in making all classes fun lately. Besides why are rumors always the one negative thing where are the positive rumors?

Rumours spread faster when they’re negative.

Not sure how much experience you have with Guild Wars 2, or elementalist, but fire was made to deal damage. Staff as a whole is a fine concept, and it is a versatile weapon. The reason why people camp fire is because that’s the most feasible way to deal consistent damage, and this is expected. This is what staff is about. The other auto-attacks are there for when fire is on cooldown, unless you play Air Staff, and you shouldn’t. Depending on how they nerf the class it will go downhill horrible. No one really asked for a Fresh Air buff that increases Ferocity and we got it, BUT it won’t cut it.

Attempts at ele specs:
Shaman
Conjurer

in Elementalist

Posted by: Ryou.2398

Ryou.2398

Rumours spread faster when they’re negative.

Not sure how much experience you have with Guild Wars 2, or elementalist, but fire was made to deal damage. Staff as a whole is a fine concept, and it is a versatile weapon. The reason why people camp fire is because that’s the most feasible way to deal consistent damage, and this is expected. This is what staff is about. The other auto-attacks are there for when fire is on cooldown, unless you play Air Staff, and you shouldn’t. Depending on how they nerf the class it will go downhill horrible. No one really asked for a Fresh Air buff that increases Ferocity and we got it, BUT it won’t cut it.

Fire will do more damage depending on your runes, traits and etc sure but im just stating the reasoning I believe I read behind a nerf like that, air does damage to, and if they wanted to they could up earth and of course water has its uses there are ways to make it more versatile without encouraging so much camping of one element, personally I dont even use staff mostly for this reason.

in Elementalist

Posted by: lucadiro.4519

lucadiro.4519

Talking about pve Staff fire tempest deserve a nerf mate. Staff Ele is top dps since years + has the larger AoE damage in game + give offensive support at party with some might from fire overload + heals from wash the pain away + It’s Pretty easy to play. Also in raids can Pretty much prevent a full wipe with a timed rebound.
The fact it has 11k hp doesn’t mean nothing in raids where there is an healer… Also have such low HP has pros and cont. For example is easier keep up scholar runes buff lol.

As an Ele main since years I would not complain if they nerf it, while I would love if they keep fresh air tempest as it is, since it is more balanced in my opinion.

Parabrezza

(edited by lucadiro.4519)

in Elementalist

lucadiro.4519

Aslo I would like to know where do you all get these “secret” info since there isn’t nothing official said from arenanet

Parabrezza

in Elementalist

Posted by: Wolfric.9380

Wolfric.9380

anny nerf that hits offensive non meta builds will be quite bad. Its´even that support ele is not OP. It´s just very unpopular for oponents that loose to support and also to eles that never wanted a pure support class. The cele d/d brusier was a good thing exept that in the hands of good players it was to strong. Anny build that a skillful player can utilize to a level where average player get a total helpless feeling will get ranting. It doesn´t help that it´s a L2P or adapt your party/build issue, peope have diffrent skill levels and most can´t catch up simply in training/play time and you loose them if they feel helpless. I guess ease of play and some passive procs are made to reduce that bad feeling. If you wan´t to keep less skillful players you must give them success.
It´s not an ele only thing. Scrapper is also very hard to kill. And it´s also that players feel a fast death less bad then a slow one where they think the oponent is unkillable.
After a year in ele a casual player is not a threat. Once i even downed 3 in an 1:4 with a VIPER ele…. In 1:1 ranting is on how cheesy ele is. When i play power warrior that i am not as good but start to get a grip on i kill that casual players within seconds but never get anny rants.

(edited by Wolfric.9380)

in Elementalist

Posted by: Sirbeaumerdier.3740

Sirbeaumerdier.3740

Will this nerf only touch PVE tho…. I don’t care for a nerf in pve. Anything works in pve anyway.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Xillllix.3485

Xillllix.3485

They already ruined ALL my builds so from a hype/hope perspective I have none. Anet just doesn’t know how to balance this class and create build diversity.

And they’ve pretty much been doing the opposite of what elementalists have been asking for since launch, by listening only to what other classes had to say about elementalists.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Lalainnia.3598

Lalainnia.3598

if there is any nerf towards staff it might most likely be water #1 skill that combined with aura share or the boosted soothing waters on top of monk runes, transference sigil, rice balls, and w/e the tunning crystal is called makes for hands down the easiest and well near possibly the strongest healer.

And if the hoopla is real and its not support it might most likely be some form of hitbox nerfing on larger foes that does crazy damage.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Tomiyou.3790

Tomiyou.3790

Rumours fly that staff tempest will be nerfed next week. I would like a logical reasoning for so, given they have the smallest health pool and the fewest ways of staying alive if they want to be part of a decent raiding group?

If a staff ele wants to keep up with the required damage for raid bosses while staying alive they have two ways of surviving (besides healing skill that all classes have access to):

So, with further nerfs to staff ele we won’t have ways to bring up a comparable damage, and thus replaced by other classes. Is it really necessary to nerf staff instead of improving other classes so they’re on par with tempest? Or you just can’t because you plainly denied PvE to favor PvP, no matter how that hurts PvE playerbase?

Just don’t tell me you’re basing off such nerf on [qT] guild 4manning raids, as that’s far from representative of the rest of raiding playerbase.

It’s about kittening time PvE is freed from PvP. Balancing everything altogether is becoming increasingly unhealthy for PvE.

Staff ele is extremely easy to play and has the highest range out of all classes, except longbow ranger. Your point about survivability still holds tho. I hope they just nerf it by like 7% of total DPS. Currently it has the best dps available and an extremely simple rotation. But so do thieves, guardians, revenants, …. Just autoattacks.

in Elementalist

Valento.9852

Staff ele is extremely easy to play and has the highest range out of all classes, except longbow ranger. Your point about survivability still holds tho. I hope they just nerf it by like 7% of total DPS. Currently it has the best dps available and an extremely simple rotation. But so do thieves, guardians, revenants, …. Just autoattacks.

Auto-attack-based classes are just stupid to be honest. Staff ele rotation might be simple, but at least we use more than one button. What can be said about revenants and thieves?

I’d get 7% of total DPS, but I can see how unhealthy any nerfs can be. Another nail in the elementalist nerf timeline.

Attempts at ele specs:
Shaman
Conjurer

in Elementalist

lucadiro.4519

Auto-attack-based classes are just stupid to be honest. Staff ele rotation might be simple, but at least we use more than one button. What can be said about revenants and thieves?

I’d get 7% of total DPS, but I can see how unhealthy any nerfs can be. Another nail in the elementalist nerf timeline.

Take revenant away that in pve need some love since is near to be pushed out of raids..

But man you are saying that since tempest is more complex to play than thieves they deserve to do more damage.
So what Mesmer and condi engie would say then? They both are more complex than tempest so arenanet should nerf tempest and buff them into the point to swap their spot in the dps ranking?

And still you are not seeing the fact that staff tempest provide too much, way too much in a single build, again too much heal, support and AoE damage….

Parabrezza

in Elementalist

Posted by: Jerus.4350

Jerus.4350

I’m a bit confused here. Isn’t D/W Fresh Air build number 2 or something like that as far as potential damage and very close if not superior on small and/or mobile targets? So why is a potential (where’s the source?) nerf to the 2521111 boredom build such a big deal?

in Elementalist

lucadiro.4519

I’m a bit confused here. Isn’t D/W Fresh Air build number 2 or something like that as far as potential damage and very close if not superior on small and/or mobile targets? So why is a potential (where’s the source?) nerf to the 2521111 boredom build such a big deal?

Lol in fact a nerf to staff fire tempest is not a big deal, is deserved and will be welcome.
But you know people are lazy and don’t like to have to change attunement.

Parabrezza

in Elementalist

Valento.9852

All attunement cd traits went to 20% reduction, down from 33%. Enjoy.

Attempts at ele specs:
Shaman
Conjurer

in Elementalist

Posted by: Azoqu.8917

Azoqu.8917

I just don’t get why this had to happen. This hurts ALL builds not just Staff. D/D was already struggling, and this just makes it harder to play.

Especially considering all the CD were made with a 33% reduction in mind. There better be a huge list of CD changes for skills that didn’t need to be nerfed.

in Elementalist

Posted by: BlackBeard.2873

BlackBeard.2873

I just don’t get why this had to happen. This hurts ALL builds not just Staff. D/D was already struggling, and this just makes it harder to play.

Especially considering all the CD were made with a 33% reduction in mind. There better be a huge list of CD changes for skills that didn’t need to be nerfed.

Nope. GG, WP, no RE. Just play other classes for a year, when Anet will listen to even the staunchest ele haters start to say “really, its kinda pathetic to leave the class so bad for so long” before just undoing these nerfs. “The wheel of time turns and ages come and go…”

Edit: I am surprised they didn’t increase the CD of RtL just to add salt to the wound. I mean, its not like another class has the same skill, except it also evades and is a blast finisher at the end on a 12s CD…But hey, FIREGRAB! Good luck landing that thing!

(edited by BlackBeard.2873)

in Elementalist

Posted by: thefinnster.7105

thefinnster.7105

WOW just WOW so much nerfage thanks anet for screwing all us eles over its all in the wording of the patch notes you sought to normalise the dps of the tempest so basicly now we do around the same dmg as any other class BUT with still have all the penalty’s GG anet
tested my dps rotation on the golem 9k dps loss from last nights test as someone who mains ele this is a massive demoralising hit to me and seriously has me considering quitting the game coz clearly you don’t seem to understand we are supposed to be a physically weak class with high dmg output I don’t feel like this is the case any more we are now just a weak class with average dmg so why even bother playing it at all when I could just play something else that dosent get 1 shot downed everywhere I go

in Elementalist

Posted by: Azel.4786

Azel.4786

WOW just WOW so much nerfage thanks anet for screwing all us eles over its all in the wording of the patch notes you sought to normalise the dps of the tempest so basicly now we do around the same dmg as any other class BUT with still have all the penalty’s GG anet
tested my dps rotation on the golem 9k dps loss from last nights test as someone who mains ele this is a massive demoralising hit to me and seriously has me considering quitting the game coz clearly you don’t seem to understand we are supposed to be a physically weak class with high dmg output I don’t feel like this is the case any more we are now just a weak class with average dmg so why even bother playing it at all when I could just play something else that dosent get 1 shot downed everywhere I go

But you forget that you are not meant to be a DPS class! Elementalists are now designed to be a pure healer.

Stop wanting different builds, Jesus! The class is meant to be a healer and a healer it shall be with its awesome Tempest elite spec!

in Elementalist

Posted by: Jerus.4350

Jerus.4350

If that’s on the best rotation that means 49k→40k which is still 5k ahead of everyone else?

in Elementalist

Posted by: Xillllix.3485

Xillllix.3485

Worse balance patch for ele ever. Why did I even bother reinstalling the game?

yuk yuk yuk, what terrible balancing.

(edited by Xillllix.3485)

in Elementalist

Posted by: Zdenny.2704

Zdenny.2704

we are supposed to be a physically weak class with high dmg output

yeah unkillable physcally weak class.. eles before this patch was no way a physcally weak class. It has high sustain and this CD nerf was reasonable for healthy matches.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Tanit Ithil.3871

Tanit Ithil.3871

yeah unkillable physcally weak class.. eles before this patch was no way a physcally weak class. It has high sustain and this CD nerf was reasonable for healthy matches.

The world doesn’t revolve around PVP. These nerfs impact every build.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Gambino.2109

Gambino.2109

The world doesn’t revolve around PVP. These nerfs impact every build.

Yeah I’d like to see this dude go through a whole round of Matthias and not go down once as an Ele.. Then we’ll talk about unkillable

in Elementalist

BlackBeard.2873

Karl’s reply on that Reddit post:
Personally, I’d like to know which skills they felt were “too effective when trained” with the 33% reduction, and if so, why they couldn’t nerf those inidivual skills instead of the blanket nerf.

Probably Obsidian Flesh and Magnetic Wave, which are very good on a cleric bunker build, giving the ability to survive condi bursts and secure stomps. Unfortunately, obsidian is the only good hard mitigation the class has.

They are simultaneously forcing the class to play non-bunker roles WHILE SIMULTANEOUSLY taking away the already subpar tools available to do that! /facepalm

in Elementalist

BlackBeard.2873

At least we can facepalm in game though, right?

To properly function with new ele meta, please allow /facepalm to work while downed and waiting to respawn. Watching the countdown timer will be about 50% of the game for pvp eles.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Wolfric.9380

Wolfric.9380

Karl’s reply on that Reddit post:
Personally, I’d like to know which skills they felt were “too effective when trained” with the 33% reduction, and if so, why they couldn’t nerf those inidivual skills instead of the blanket nerf.

Probably Obsidian Flesh and Magnetic Wave, which are very good on a cleric bunker build, giving the ability to survive condi bursts and secure stomps. Unfortunately, obsidian is the only good hard mitigation the class has.

They are simultaneously forcing the class to play non-bunker roles WHILE SIMULTANEOUSLY taking away the already subpar tools available to do that! /facepalm

exactly this… We would´t have cared much with the cleric removal or a targeted nerf on the bunker but going for an overal nerf bringing down all builds is just stupid …

in Elementalist

Posted by: bearshaman.3421

bearshaman.3421

The cooldown nerf only served to bring our cooldown reduction traits more in line with what everyone else had. I’m not bothered by that. If it was less then what everyone else had, then I’d be upset.

This class has been the top (not top tier, the top!) of dps for a very very long time. The fact that it got a balance update that serves to slow down how quickly we can use our cooldown skills doesn’t surprise me in the least. If anything it will force people to get better at managing their rotations/priorities, and not faceroll their eles.