What utility skillset will Tempest get?

in Elementalist

Posted by: nearlight.3064

nearlight.3064

So I was rereading through the old articles about specializations and elite specs when they were first announced as a feature, and one thing struck me.

In one of the articles Jon Peters wrote, “at least one class will be getting a full set of 6 shouts”. And we know that reaper will get shouts, but what if another one would? When I think of tempest, I think of something loud, so I think theres a slight chance that at least at that time they were/are thinking of shouts for the Ele elite spec.

I feel like shouts on Tempest would support allies and/or apply hard CC to enemies. The reaper shouts are all purely offensive with some soft control (and kind of suck), so I feel that tempest shouts would fulfill a control and maybe support role the best.

There could even be a shout for each element, a water themed shout for the heal, an offensive fire shout, an air shout that would probably be some form of knockback, and an earth shout that could be an AoE immob or something like that. I have no idea what the elite skill would look like, but I think it would be cool.

The other implication is that a shout build would allow for trooper runes, which could push celestial staff ele even further into a support role. And also due to the uncertainty as to whether the datamined sword skills were actually dagger skills or not, I’m not fully convinced that ele will be given sword, even though it is quite likely. I honestly wouldn’t be surprised is Ele got warhorn, because lets face it, so far only mesmer looks like its just getting a new offhand, and it would make sense for ele to get an offhand so they wouldn’t have to make 12 new weapon skills for just one elite spec, I feel like an offhand for tempest is extremely likely if the sword idea falls through.

Anyway those are just some ideas I had, so feel free to comment on what you think! This is all speculation with barely any base to it, so keep that in mind!

Necromancer Main
Taking a break from GW2 to play various
Nintendo games..

in Elementalist

Posted by: Laraley.7695

Laraley.7695

I don’t think they will give another class the same skill type with the elite spec. I also hope they won’t since I want deception skills.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Exciton.8942

Exciton.8942

stance, mantra, meditation…I don’t know. There are quite a few possibilities.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Testudo.4620

Testudo.4620

i could see tempests getting mantras

Zhaife
Graduated top of class esports academy
#1 on fractal leaderboards

in Elementalist

Posted by: xDudisx.5914

xDudisx.5914

I hope they are instant cast skills. One of the reasons stances, shouts, meditations, cantrips, etc are great is that they have no cast making combat more fluid and uninterruptible.

Ouroboro Knight’s [OK]

in Elementalist

Posted by: Jski.6180

Jski.6180

Well the better question is where are they getting the ideal of “tempest” from. They seemed to have gone with an ideal for the class such as reaper being the monster from a scary movie. Is tempest from the Shakespeare story uncontrollable or more of a storm moving in fast and hitting hard in burst. Or it could be an ele who likes to spin a lot!

We could get a full literature of a Sturm und Drang class.

Main : Jski Imaginary ELE (Necromancer)
Guild : OBEY (The Legacy) I call it Obay , TLC (WvW) , UNIV (other)
Server : FA

(edited by Jski.6180)

in Elementalist

Posted by: Swanky McDanky.5214

Swanky McDanky.5214

Well the better question is where are they getting the ideal of “tempest” from. They seemed to have gone with an ideal for the class such as reaper being the monster from a scary movie. Is tempest from the Shakespeare story uncontrollable or more of a storm moving in fast and hitting hard in burst. Or it could be an ele who likes to spin a lot!

If we’re speaking literally, they could even approach Tempest is the “tumultuous combination of things” — perhaps meshing (probably closer to mashing) the attunements together to create combos

in Elementalist

Laraley.7695

If we’re speaking literally, they could even approach Tempest is the “tumultuous combination of things” — perhaps meshing (probably closer to mashing) the attunements together to create combos

Or it could just mean something completely else, look at dragonhunter.

in Elementalist

Posted by: DresdenAllblack.1249

DresdenAllblack.1249

A storm takes time to brew, mantras make sense.

A small amount of cast time on support spells…I’ll accept that.

Angelina is free game again.
Crystal Desert

in Elementalist

Laraley.7695

I really hope it’s not going to be mantras, Idk why so many people suggest it.

in Elementalist

Posted by: lLobo.7960

lLobo.7960

I think it will be something similar to mesmer mantras or to thief poisons…
Enchantments that we activate (mantras) or that activate on hits (poison)…

in Elementalist

Posted by: nearlight.3064

nearlight.3064

I really hope it’s not going to be mantras, Idk why so many people suggest it.

I agree, as a mesmer main, I can tell you first hand that chargind mantras in the heat of battle sucks, and aside from the cleanse mantra, most of their mantras only have niche uses on niche builds, so ele mantras would have to be really strong to worth using over cantrips and whatnot.

Necromancer Main
Taking a break from GW2 to play various
Nintendo games..

in Elementalist

Posted by: Malchior.5732

Malchior.5732

Seeing how powerful those Necro Shouts are….I’m not very hopeful, regardless if they’re Mantras or not :L

I would much prefer Deceptions or Tricks or something.

in Elementalist

Posted by: process execution.8014

process execution.8014

I’m hoping for stances.

• Heal – Arcane Stance (or Ether Stance to avoid skill type ambiguity)
  • Utilities – Fire/Air/Earth/Water Stance
  • Elite – Tempest Stance

I think martial stances fit really well with a spellsword archetype; I just hope they don’t end up feeling too similar to Cantrips.

why waste hours doing something that you get nothing for? Enjoyment? I’d rather run fractals.