What was the point in the blink-nerf again?

in Elementalist

Posted by: tekfan.3179

tekfan.3179

Hi folks.
Lately I’m wondering more and more why the blinks/teleports have been nerfed to uselessness. As far as I knew, it was about the jumping puzzles.
Wait a second…
To keep the jumping-puzzles more challenging?
So classes with that ability don’t have an edge in jumping puzzles?
Spectral walk and mesmer-portal ring any bells?
Mesmers and Necros can fall down and get back up to their last position in no time.
Both are great skills, no argue in that.
With my elementalist, I’ve got nothing but a small lightning-crackle that does nothing most of the time.

I loved the lightning flash how it was some time ago, getting to positions in lions arch just to chill on, now that skill is nothing but useless, except some rare builds maybe.

Why not just turn the blinks to what they used to be? Cool teleports.

in Elementalist

Posted by: danbuter.2314

danbuter.2314

PvP. Because this game WILL become an esport!

hahahaha!

in Elementalist

Posted by: Dagraan.2854

Dagraan.2854

what nerf are you talking about?

in Elementalist

tekfan.3179

what nerf are you talking about?

Most of the teleport-skills allowed for instant movement between different height-levels and from platform to platform. So you could get on the rooftops of houses to chill there or port from one platform of a jumping-puzzle to another.
Now when I use the lightning flash, all I see is a lightning, but no teleportation, if you can’t walk straight to the position you want to teleport to.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Deimos Tel Arin.7391

Deimos Tel Arin.7391

blink is actually a shadow step, not a teleport.

lies.

in Elementalist

tekfan.3179

lies.

I could use the lightning flash to get onto rooftops of small buildings i its original state. Don’t know if that can be called a shadow-step.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Shemsu.8721

Shemsu.8721

lies.

I could use the lightning flash to get onto rooftops of small buildings i its original state. Don’t know if that can be called a shadow-step.

It’s not a shadow step. It just functions like one now, as in it doest function at all most of the time

in Elementalist

Posted by: Celebratty.1632

Celebratty.1632

That’s what excited me about having blinks and such, being able to reach areas and assassinate people. Now its like, why bother even putting them on when you have much better stunbreakers, and that’s all they can do.
Unless you can walk a straight path too the location you targeted, it does nothing. I’ve been screwed over by small cliffs or “well, you can’t blink there but you can use the 3 stairs a couple feet away if you want!”.

Lulu [LGN] Anvil Rock
Garbage at every profession 2015

in Elementalist

Deimos Tel Arin.7391

i can’t blink across gaps.

how is that a teleport?

in Elementalist

Posted by: Tamaki Revolution.3548

Tamaki Revolution.3548

how is that a teleport?

Really wish things like Blink and Infiltrator’s Arrow worked over gaps like Engi’s jump shot. I like the temp tp gun, but with no reticle it can often be more of a hindrance :P

in Elementalist

Posted by: Sophs.1705

Sophs.1705

I hope that one day they will change the movement skills to allow you to jump up small heights and so on. if you look at star wars the old republic combat where some classes can force leap up to platforms and others with jet packs and so on it adds a whole new dimension to combat.

Of course it will have to be balanced so as to not have armies of warriors just leaping over walls in WvW lol but I reckon it could be a good addition.

in Elementalist

Deimos Tel Arin.7391

how is that a teleport?

Really wish things like Blink and Infiltrator’s Arrow worked over gaps like Engi’s jump shot. I like the temp tp gun, but with no reticle it can often be more of a hindrance :P

ah, the engineer’s jump shot, now, that is a real teleport.
it is a jump though.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Tamaki Revolution.3548

Tamaki Revolution.3548

I hope that one day they will change the movement skills to allow you to jump up small heights and so on. if you look at star wars the old republic combat where some classes can force leap up to platforms and others with jet packs and so on it adds a whole new dimension to combat.

The jumping there was pretty horrible. I did like being nice and camping a character on the Jawa mobile for helping people with duel/Harpoon gun. kitten balloon rides :P

in Elementalist

Posted by: lunawisp.2378

lunawisp.2378

how is that a teleport?

Hmm, have to try that jump shot next time. I tried the rocket boots on a jump that I was stuck on. got about halfway across then bounced backwards off what seemed like a temporary invisible wall. Not saying it was but it is getting annoying that you will jump normally and fall to your death repeatedly due to the stupid camera instead of using the tools at your disposal and your ingenuity.

Found pottering around on Desolation (EU).
lunawisp was my peacebringer on City of Heroes – she lives on in memory as my gaming id.

in Elementalist

Posted by: ProxyDamage.9826

ProxyDamage.9826

Simple: Too much of an advantage. Being able to instantly clear 900/1200 distance is already one of the best things in the game. If you could clear heights as well it would be far too good a getaway/close in.

in Elementalist

tekfan.3179

how is that a teleport?

You could blink over gaps in the first versions of these skills. It was awesome.

Regarding pvp, I’d suggest to keep the skill as it is now on pvp-maps and return it to its former glory on everything not pvp.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Blaine Tog.8304

Blaine Tog.8304

Hi folks.
Lately I’m wondering more and more why the blinks/teleports have been nerfed to uselessness. As far as I knew, it was about the jumping puzzles.

Actually, it’s to preserve map design. They don’t want us using blinks to get to sections of the map they didn’t intend, so they limited their ability to cross gaps.

I main Ele and Necro, though I have an alt of each profession at level 80.
How to Condi Reaper on a budget
Everything I say is only in reference to PvE and WvW.

in Elementalist

Celebratty.1632

Hi folks.

Actually, it’s to preserve map design. They don’t want us using blinks to get to sections of the map they didn’t intend, so they limited their ability to cross gaps.

But then why do they give us experimental teleportation guns, or let warriors use savage leap, or necros negate fall damage?
There is already a billion and one ways to get out of the map and into unintended areas, the blink issue isn’t going to stop us from getting places when we can go just as far with WH4/S2 on a warrior.

Lulu [LGN] Anvil Rock

in Elementalist

Posted by: Kyon.9735

Kyon.9735

Simple: Too much of an advantage. Being able to instantly clear 900/1200 distance is already one of the best things in the game. If you could clear heights as well it would be far too good a getaway/close in.

I don’t really see it as a huge advantage since we’re among the squishiest classes in the game. Mesmers can have their blink CD reduced to 24s with a stun breaker. Bow thieves can blink with no problem. These 2 classes can jump from one place to another without any height restriction. Now as an Ele, I can reduce my blink to 32s at most. I can’t always jump from one place to another if there is a height difference. And when I blink to safety, I’m still stunned and cant move so enemies can just run back to me since my blink has a crappy 900 range.

If Anet removed LF’s stun breaker for the purpose of spreading our stun breakers among our skills:
1. They could have just added stun breakers to other skills without nerfing LF
or
2. Put our stun breakers to a more useful skill instead of putting it in GoEP or Signet of Air

in Elementalist

Posted by: Ehecatl.9172

Ehecatl.9172

I too wish our teleports functioned like teleports. As already mentioned, warriors and engineers can clear gaps with their jumps. It makes no sense that our teleports can’t do the same, and honestly it kills a whole dimension to class design and make jumping puzzles a bit more skill dependent. Being able to quickly use a teleport to fix a bad jump would be amazing.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Blaine Tog.8304

Blaine Tog.8304

But then why do they give us experimental teleportation guns, or let warriors use savage leap, or necros negate fall damage?

Experimental teleportation guns and their ilk are supposed to be used in the immediate vicinity, making them part of level design. Necros lost their ability to negate fall damage with DS in this latest patch (to our eternal sadness because of how much fun it was). Dunno about Savage Leap.

Personally, I think blinks would be substantially more satisfying if they had no limitations on landing location. You could do all sorts of clever things with them if you got good at their use. But the problem with that is, you then put professions with targeted blinks (just Thief, Mesmer, and Ele, I think) on a completely different playing field from everyone else, making it potentially impossible for other professions to compete.

Do you play League of Legends, by any chance? Every character in that game is given two spells per game chosen from a small pool available to everyone. These abilities are on very long cooldowns and are typically quite high-impact. One of them is called Flash, and it works pretty much like blinks in GW2 except it can cross terrain gaps, and it is far and away stronger than all the other options, some of which are pretty strong in their own right. Buffing blinks in GW2 to ignore terrain gaps is an extremely powerful advantage with hundreds of possible uses. Even though it would make them feel so much better to use, it would also almost certainly make them hilariously overpowered.

Flash in LoL has a 300 second cooldown, and it’s still overpowered. How much of an increase to Lightning Flash’s cooldown would you tolerate for this kind of buff?

I main Ele and Necro, though I have an alt of each profession at level 80.
How to Condi Reaper on a budget
Everything I say is only in reference to PvE and WvW.

(edited by Blaine Tog.8304)

in Elementalist

Posted by: Razor.6392

Razor.6392

Thieves and mesmers can do it tho

I guess that’s fair.

Level 60 pvp
Ele & thief main (full ascended)
Down with the braindead faceroll classes.

in Elementalist

Celebratty.1632

Experimental teleportation guns and their ilk are supposed to be used in the immediate vicinity, making them part of level design. Necros lost their ability to negate fall damage with DS in this latest patch (to our eternal sadness because of how much fun it was). Dunno about Savage Leap.

Personally, I think blinks would be substantially more satisfying if they had no limitations on landing location. You could do all sorts of clever things with them if you got good at their use. But the problem with that is, you then put professions with targeted blinks (just Thief, Mesmer, and Ele, I think) on a completely different playing field from everyone else, making it potentially impossible for other professions to compete.

Do you play League of Legends, by any chance? Every character in that game is given two spells per game chosen from a small pool available to everyone. These abilities are on very long cooldowns and are typically quite high-impact. One of them is called Flash, and it works pretty much like blinks in GW2 except it can cross terrain gaps, and it is far and away stronger than all the other options, some of which are pretty strong in their own right. Buffing blinks in GW2 to ignore terrain gaps is an extremely powerful advantage with hundreds of possible uses. Even though it would make them feel so much better to use, it would also almost certainly make them hilariously overpowered.

Flash in LoL has a 300 second cooldown, and it’s still overpowered. How much of an increase to Lightning Flash’s cooldown would you tolerate for this kind of buff?

Necros can negate fall damage still, double clicking spectral walk. Experimental teleportation gun is used all throughout the game. There are at the moment ways to jump over terrain gaps, and only Guardian, Ranger and Necro don’t have blinks (and once again, they can completely negate fall damage), and guardians can(?) use their JI to get across gaps if an enemy is there. This leaves behind ranger, and well I don’t want to go on about how they’re already horribly left behind.

I posted on this thread before it was moved to Elementalist, and I was mainly here to talk about the poorness of blinks in general. But, in response to your LoL post, yes I do play League of Legends, quite extensively over four years in fact. But it is nothing like Guild Wars 2 except that people fight eachother. Combo fields, zerging, mass amounts of player grouping, capping (TTT is very uncomparable) ‘Obstruction’, vulnerability, and the like don’t even exist. The blink restrictions are unnecessary and negate the usefulness of said spells, because if you can’t literally walk in a straight line, you will not blink.

Lulu [LGN] Anvil Rock

in Elementalist

Posted by: Navzar.2938

Navzar.2938

In regards to being able to scale heights- It’s just to easy to abuse in WvW to get into keeps.
As for just acting like a jump, I don’t think that would have been an issue, but they already had a shadowstep mechanic made, so they just switched it to that.