What will fix glyphs for you?

in Elementalist

Posted by: Ludwig.4138

Ludwig.4138

Yesterday, I posted a huge wall of text with feedback about the new stuff we learned for ele. It was pretty daunting, so I will repost tiny segments and refine the feedback over about the next week or so to make it easier for discussion. I was especially interested in discussing glyphs, so here is that short portion:

Glyphs

These are fine skills that no one makes builds around. When I see them, I want to compare them to Guardian Meditations. You can trait for them to grant a boon on use, like meditations with Fury trait, but that’s where the similarities currently end. Meditations used to also have cast times, but they were removed, and they also have a trait that makes them do tiny heals. Glyphs just need need 1 extra gimmick to feel synergetic and powerful. It also wouldn’t hurt to shorten or remove the cast time on some. They could have a trait that makes them give a new HoT boon, Resistance or Quickness, for 2 seconds in addition to the attunement boons, OR the Elemental Surge trait could also affect glyphs as well as arcane skills, OR just let them remove a condition.

I would try a glyph build if they did one more of these things. What would you do? Could you think of something that could have its CD reduced when a glyph is cast? That would also be cool too.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Kodiak.3281

Kodiak.3281

Players are generally looking for one of two things in their utilities. These generally hold true for just about every class:

Additional Offense – Special attack type or method of attacking you don’t get from your base weapon skills and traits or more of that.

Additional Defense – Special defenses that you don’t get from basew eapon skills and traits or more of them.

With that in mind, Glyphs really only offer two sets of meaningful options.

The first one is Glyph of Storms, which simply adds additional AOE to the mix with various useful conditions (burn, chill, vuln, blind). This is just more of what we already have and the big use people talk about is the AOE Blind with Sandstorm which is something we don’t normally have.

The second is the Elemental Glyphs which are basically throw away, dumb pets that die really easy (except Earth) and then you lose access to any of their additional abilities most of which are pretty suspect. I actually prefer most of the abilities on the Lesser Elementals because they can be done anywhere rather than requiring a target meaning I can use them as a buff. I guess the Elite is technically the least useless of the all the useless options we have for PvE. Hooray, win by default.

The Ress one is ridiculous and Elemental Power just adds more of the same conditions you already get generally speaking from their own base lines. That’s not to say that more isn’t better, only that if you’re comparing these options and a Cantrip for survivability or a Conjure (For now) for offense there’s no reason I’d ever take these. It’s a similar problem with Signets, but at least they can be used for Aura generators.

Inscription is the prime example of what I’m talking about. Add a boon to your Glyph! Well gee, thanks for a random boon. It entirely ignores the fact we can easily self stack huge stacks of Might, have unlimited Swiftness and have loads of Regeneration. Protection is nice and all but then I have to swap to Earth to use my Glyphs.

Only thing I see really working interesting with Glyphs is if they made them work with Lingering Elements. Like if you have Lingering Elements with Fire and Water, when you do Glyph of Storms it’s a mix of Fire and Cold bolts or with Inscription you get both boons when you use them. Not sure how that works with Elementals but sure they could figure out something (maybe both Elementals but only can use the abilities of the attunement you’re in I dunno).

Kodiak X – Blackgate

in Elementalist

Posted by: Glenstorm.4059

Glenstorm.4059

By taking Glyphs, you are sacrificing condition removal and stun breaks. As long as Glyphs don’t provide at least minor condi removal/stun breaks, they will always be situational and inferior to Cantrips.

I absolutely hate Elemental Power because its stun break functionality is so counterintuitive to its condition application functionality (saving the skill versus using it often.) That said, I don’t know which other Glyph could get a more intuitive stun break functionality.

-Making Glyphs (except Elemental Harmony and Renewal) instant-cast would go a long way towards making them viable IMO.
-If Inscription also made Glyphs remove a condition, that would be AMAZING. But I think it’d be a little OP… maybe if Inscription were changed to remove a condition per Gylph use instead of applying a boon. In fact, my dream change to this trait would be:

Inscription: Reduces Gylph recharge. Glyphs you cast remove one condition. In addition, Glyphs you cast remove a specific condition depending on your Attunement:
Fire: removes Chilled
Air: removes Immobilize
Earth: removes Poison
Water: removes Burning

-This is a wacky suggestion, and obviously OP, but I’m going to lay it out anyway. In GW1, Gylphs were used to enhance the next spell(s) you were going to cast. I think it’d be awesome if some of the Glyphs had an additional function that would affect your current Attunement, or the next spell you cast. For example:

Glyph of Renewal could instantly recharge the next weapon skill you use.

Glyph of Elemental Power could give you bonus Condition Damage for your next weapon skill.

Gylph of Elementals, being an Elite, could recharge your Attunements when used.

The possibilities would be endless :p

Fear the might of SHATTERSTONE.

in Elementalist

Posted by: BlackBeard.2873

BlackBeard.2873

It can’t be done. For an ele utility to be useful it needs to be instant-cast and defensive (cantrips, signet of air, arcane shield) or have a short cast time and be much stronger than weapon-skills (arcane wave/blast, frost bow, occsasionally glyph of storms in pve).

Glyph of ele power is really close, but suffers from the other glyphs being bad and cantrips being the only viable option (outside of the signet build that uses signets like a castable aura moreso than actual signets). The res glyph is balanced, but eles need selfish skills and can’t afford to take it. The pets are bad, and nobody wants AI to be good. Glyph of storms is strong, but nobody can cast a 1.25s skill with only 900 range in pvp, and players are smart enough not to stand in the aoe forever, so not pvp viable.

Just hope they aren’t as bad at developing future skills.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Weyrd.2794

Weyrd.2794

My thoughts:

Glyph of Storms:
Fire - Increase burning duration. If burning stacks (which it looks like it might with HoT) this will become for useful.
Air - Probably good as is. Nice vuln burst.
Water - Add an effect for allies inside the aoe. Either regen or maybe a % chance on tick to cure condition.
Earth - Good as is.

Glyph of Elemental Power - this needs lots of work, but has potential if syncs better with traits.
Fire - should be good if burning starts to stack. will sync nice with burning ashes.
Water - should be vulnerability instead of chill to sync with piercing shards.
Air - should be some sort of disabling effect so it triggers lightning rod (would need to be very short in duration to prevent from being OP)
Earth - extra stacks of bleeding to help get high stacks of bleeding on target faster and sync with serrated stones.

Glyph of Renewal - this would be better as a personal revival that you burn before being downed (i.e. activate and for the next, lets say 10 seconds, if you are downed you instantly revive with effect based on attunement.) The nearly 3 minute CD already in place would prevent this from being abused.
Fire - aoe knockback (i.e. Explosive Rebirth!)
Water - same as now, full health revival
Air - aoe blind (Lightning Flash Revival!)
Earth - similar to as is now, revives you and nearby downed allies.

Glyph of Lesser Elementals - No real changes except making the non-earth elementals a little more survivable/survivable period (and improving our other Elites. Not much point in taking this if you’ve taken Glyph of Greater Elemental as your Elite)

Glyph of Greater Elementals - See notes on lesser.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Ludwig.4138

Ludwig.4138

Ya’ll have some good ideas. Would you use glyphs if they had at maximum a 0.5 sec cast and removed a condition? That honestly might be enough for me.

Another Idea I had to make glyphs super unique and play into their own theme of being about attunements:
Trait: If you swap attunements within 1-2 seconds of using a glyph, then it’s cooldown is reset. (Can happen once per glyph every 60-75 seconds?)

For minions, it might just affect their activate skill, but you could have double stun break, double storm (chill then blind for me ), and double res, which you may or may not need, and you can miss the chance to use the trait if you are attunement squatting. Thoughts? Overpowered?

in Elementalist

Posted by: DanteZero.9736

DanteZero.9736

• Both glyphs of elementals need major boosts in survivability to non-earth elementals.
  • Glyph of storms’ cooldown is too long for what it does. The fire storm and ice storms are boring and weak (in terms of effect/damage).
  • Glyph of renewal’s range should be 1200, not 900. The effect is rather boring for its insanely long cooldown.
  • Glyph of elemental power shouldn’t be a stunbreaker. It would be better off if the chance for conditions were doubled. Did I mention how it doesn’t really make sense that a skill that lasts a long time and gives offensive bonuses is a stunbreaker?
  • Glyph of elemental harmony should have its cast time reduced to .5 seconds. The 1.25 cast time is too long for a heal that doesn’t remove conditions.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Neko.9021

Neko.9021

Glyph of Storms, Glyph of Elemental Power, and Glyph of Elementals are all really strong in PvE, at the very least.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Yamsandjams.3267

Yamsandjams.3267

I have a glyph build…

But it’s kind of poopy: http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fFAQFAWhUMaaW0wqBd0AEAS4ARWIcUoiv/C-T1hFwAAeQAGV+ZS9HGXQgR7PcRHRVlgkCIilRA-w

Basically it’s just zerker ele with all glyphs. Sometimes I’ll swap out the elemental glyphs for the revive glyph and FGS. The revive can be quite nice sometimes in WvW, especially the air one since it can pull the person to safety.

The main advantages you get out of this is extra AoE damage/disables on glyph of storms (like a mini meteor shower or blind field), and… that’s mostly it. Although the eles can hurt quite a bit in smaller scale combat. The glyph of elemental power is really only there for the stun break. It’s possible to use it in fire attunement to inflict more burning on the opponent and thus ensuring the damage bonus from the fire trait line, but the way glyph of elemental power currently functions is quite unreliable.

The other advantage to this build is that it can build up a lot of self-might without blast finishers, and it can maintain perma-swiftness by just using the 20s cooldown healing skill over and over again (great for moving places in WvW, just don’t want to pop it and then get attacked).

The main issue with this sort of build is that it has virtually no survivability. Some of the weapon skills give it some, but the defensive options for the glyph utilities aren’t always useful.

Although I think the upcoming trait changes will actually allow me to do some more interesting things with this build since traits are being condensed and made baseline. I’m sure it will still be poopy though.

EDIT: They can be really useful in PvE though, just because mobs will stand in the AoE. But things that are only useful in PvE are generally some of the most boring and useless stuff a profession has.

in Elementalist

Posted by: lLobo.7960

lLobo.7960

Give air line a GM trait that makes all glyphs instant cast.
This, coupled with buffs and CD reduction would make glyphs very usefull, even the useless ones (ress glyph)

in Elementalist

Posted by: Sunshine.5014

Sunshine.5014

Make Glyph gives 3 stacks of Resistance, last 5s

This encourages active play, and gives a good alternative for the Cantrips. You have to be able to anticipate when is the condi burst and cast it, instead of the reactive Cantrips. It’s not too OP, since the number of mini conditions get thrown around for auto attacks is a lot. Also, it doesn’t cleanse any of the current conditions.

Gray out the HP for future condition damage
Already quit PvP. Just log in here and there to troll.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Parktou.4263

Parktou.4263

First things first, GoEP becomes an Elite Signet with the same effects becoming the passive ability minus some of the trigger chance, while activating it could maybe grant the user all attunement bonuses simultaneously for a short duration.(15-30 seconds?) Showing some love for signets as well here. 60-90 second cooldown

Glyph of storms should have it’s CD reduced to 45 seconds and maybe update some of the storms to make them more effective(such as daze chance on air storm).

Glyph of Lesser Elementals is fine where it’s at, maybe change the Air/Earth elementals active abilities to something more useful.

Glyph of Elementals(the elite) is also good where it’s at but a slight reduction in the base CD would be appreciated(90 seconds?) Also, again change some of the active abilities. Water Ele should produce a water field, maybe Earth becomes a blast finisher, Air gets longer stun(2-3 seconds?), Fire is fine I think, maybe just more burning bolts and possibly ground targeting for some of these?

Glyph of Renewal is surprisingly good, except for that ridiculous cooldown, soo……..reduction? No worries, no one’s gonna take it anyways

Ether Renewal as is becomes a glyph, replacing Glyph of Elemental Harmony as the Glyph heal.

Glyph of Elemental Harmony than gets scrapped/repurposed into a utility. It would still give boons as it did before but now it will also give an aura based on the attunement you’re in such as,

Glyph of Elemental Nature
Fire-Fire Shield + 3 stacks of Might
Water-Frost Aura + Regeneration
Air-Shocking Aura + Swiftness
Earth-Magnetic Aura + Protection
All auras are given a 5 second duration and boons will be whatever duration they would have been on the heal.
60 second cooldown seems fair, maybe even 75.

Long live the Auramancers I suppose? Anyways, just my opinions, as long as ER doesn’t become a Cantrip I’ll be happy.

Shocking Shorty-Asura Tempest | Magnificent Mike-Troll Warrior | Lockpick Louie- Human Daredevil
Fabio Feline- Charr DH | Viktor Virtuoso-Norn Reaper | Pocket Prestige-Asura Chrono
Killer Kasserole-Plant Druid | Frankie Feline-Cat Scrapper | Felix Feline-Charr Herald

in Elementalist

Posted by: Weyrd.2794

Weyrd.2794

First things first, GoEP becomes an Elite Signet with the same effects becoming the passive ability minus some of the trigger chance, while activating it could maybe grant the user all attunement bonuses simultaneously for a short duration.(15-30 seconds?) Showing some love for signets as well here. 60-90 second cooldown

Glyph of storms should have it’s CD reduced to 45 seconds and maybe update some of the storms to make them more effective(such as daze chance on air storm).

Glyph of Lesser Elementals is fine where it’s at, maybe change the Air/Earth elementals active abilities to something more useful.

Glyph of Elementals(the elite) is also good where it’s at but a slight reduction in the base CD would be appreciated(90 seconds?) Also, again change some of the active abilities. Water Ele should produce a water field, maybe Earth becomes a blast finisher, Air gets longer stun(2-3 seconds?), Fire is fine I think, maybe just more burning bolts and possibly ground targeting for some of these?

Glyph of Renewal is surprisingly good, except for that ridiculous cooldown, soo……..reduction? No worries, no one’s gonna take it anyways

Ether Renewal as is becomes a glyph, replacing Glyph of Elemental Harmony as the Glyph heal.

Glyph of Elemental Harmony than gets scrapped/repurposed into a utility. It would still give boons as it did before but now it will also give an aura based on the attunement you’re in such as,

All auras are given a 5 second duration and boons will be whatever duration they would have been on the heal.

Long live the Auramancers I suppose? Anyways, just my opinions, as long as ER doesn’t become a Cantrip I’ll be happy.

lol, I like how your first suggestion on how to fix glyphs is to turn one of them into a signet. Makes a telling statement about the state some glyphs are currently in.

in Elementalist

BlackBeard.2873

I have always thought a glyph skill that gave out their respective auras would make a lot of sense and be very good. The only problem is that the air/earth/water glyphs are WAY stronger than fire aura, which is basically garbage.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Dragonic Elemental.2674

Dragonic Elemental.2674

Some of these are really awesome, and I think many are on the right track.

Another idea would be to reduce the cooldown of all recharging glyphs by X amount (let’s say 3 secs) each time you swap attunements

May the Six watch over us. And come back to Tyria soon.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Gorani.7205

Gorani.7205

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/professions/elementalist/A-plea-for-Glyphs

My post from ages ago…

Ideas about giving Glyphs a use or more active game play have been around for so long. Trait changes and HoT should give the Dev team a chance to break out of the Cantrip meta, but the last Ready Up really showed they are not even trying.

If I could change Glyphs right now I would go go further with buffing the glyphs than in my old post.

Here is my concept for Glyphs
>> Glyphs and their effects, by design, change depending on which attunement you are in. Therefore Glyphs should encourage swapping through attunements frequently and using them situational. Also, with the new Inscription being a boon focused trait and boon duration increase possibly being removed (Ready Up was very vague about both boon and condi durations), Glyphs should augment using boons (and Elemental Attunement over Evasive Arcana, too)

Glyph of Elemental Power needs its trigger chance increased to 50% and internal cool down reduced to 3 seconds, so you have a chance to apply condi pressure to a target with auto attacks (and therefore neglecting more potent skills from #2-#5). I still think that the duration and recharge should be reduced (kept at the same ratio) to encourage more active use of the stun break.

Glyph of Renewal: It currently takes way too much time to revive a downed foe before a stomp, so reducing the casting time to 1 second is the only option for me to make it more viable as a revival tool. The recharge should go down to 120 seconds and it should apply 5 seconds of Resistance to the caster.

Glyph of Storms:
>> Burning duration of Fire Storm needs to go up to 2 seconds, so foes are more vulnerable to synergies like Burning Ashes and Fire Grab e.g.
>> The duration of Ice Storm needs to go up to at least 8 seconds. it is the shortest right now. Being chilled should be a danger and not just a nuisance.

Elemental Glyphs are difficult, because the AI is so bad and we dong really want more AI driven stuff. Perhaps granting a boon on death would be an option, like either 3 sec of Fury or 3 sec of Resistance.

Member of The Guildwars Online Guild [GWO]
Still keeps a volume of Kurzick poems ;)

in Elementalist

Posted by: Xillllix.3485

Xillllix.3485

Glyph of Elemental Power
Gain a chance for spells to inflict a condition based on your attunement.

Chance is way too low, effects are not noticeable enough and can be obtained by other means that do not rely on “chance”. Change the conditions to conditions the elementalist do not have easy access too: Torment (earth skills), Fear (fire skills), Daze (air skills) and Confusion (water skills).

Glyph of Lesser Elementals
Summon a lesser elemental based on your attunement.

Crappy version of an average elite, nobody will ever use that. Just remove it from the game.

Glyph of Renewal
Revive allies with different attunement effects.

This skill is a joke and nobody uses it. It take less time to manually res someone. Make it a 1 sec cast.

Glyph of Storms
Create a storm based on your attunement.

Triple the super low damage and make it an elite.

*Elite
Glyph of Elementals
Summon an elemental based on your attunement. *
Only fire and air ele sorta work, increase the animation/attack speed by 300% for water and earth. Make it more responsive. Make the summons stick around until they die.

in Elementalist

Posted by: MonMalthias.4763

MonMalthias.4763

Glyphs…need a lot of work.

It can’t be done. For an ele utility to be useful it needs to be instant-cast and defensive (cantrips, signet of air, arcane shield) or have a short cast time and be much stronger than weapon-skills (arcane wave/blast, frost bow, occsasionally glyph of storms in pve).

Blackbeard nails it here with what is necessary for a Utility skill to be worthy of an Elementalist’s time on the hotbar. Right now none of the Glyphs really fit into the “super defensive” or “better than weapon skills” categories. There’s a lot of missed opportunity as well to really have usable skills brought over from GW1.

To address GoEP:
Glyph of Elemental Power

• The idea of a stunbreak giving you the opportunity to deal damage back sounds good in theory, but multiple skills across multiple classes have languished that have used this exact same design philosophy. See: Engineer Utility Goggles, Warrior Stomp etc.
  • The RNG proc doesn’t help either. Though the effect duration of 30 seconds is long enough to proc at least once of each condition for all 4 attunements, that doesn’t exactly a good skill make.

In my opinion the skill can go one of two ways: super offensive or super defensive.

• For super offensive, Quickness is the order of the day. Removal of RNG is also a priority. Thus:
  • Glyph of Elemental Power
    • Gain Quickness for 4 seconds. Break Stun.
    • Your next X attacks inflict Y Condition depending on Attunement.
    • Fire: Burning (3 seconds). Water: Chill (3 seconds). Air: Weakness (3 seconds). Earth: 4xBleeding (3 seconds).
  • For X I’m thinking 5-6 attacks. So that’s a lot of Chill or Weakness; or a ton of Burn or Bleed that will be significant even for a non-condi build.
  • For super defensive, GoEP should be replaced with “Glyph of Auras” or a new skill be introduced as such:
    • Glyph of Elemental Power (or Auras)
    • Break Stun. Gain 3 seconds of Stability. Gain an Aura based on your attunement for 5 seconds.
    • Fire: Fire Aura. Water: Frost Aura. Air: Shocking Aura. Earth: Magnetic Aura.
  • This echoes a lot of old ideas in bringing in some Aura support to Elementalist Utilities that have really been absent outside of weapon skills.

One thing that must be addressed is Fire Aura though. Right now it’s…not great. I propose a rework:
Fire Aura

• Be embraced in the warmth of a Fire Aura. Blunt up to X attacks and burn them while becoming stronger. Unique buff: Fire Aura. X attacks blunted in bottom right corner as with Venom charges.
    • Reflect a portion of damage to attackers for the next X attacks. I’m thinking ~5-10% damage reflection. This is distinct from Retaliation wherein you still take full damage.
    • Foes attacking you are Burned for 1 second (No ICD). Gain 1 Might for 10 seconds when hit.
    • I’m thinking 3-5 attacks. 5 for Elementalist that can buff it with the reworked Conjurer trait; 3 for everyone else that gets it from Leaps into Fire Fields.
    • Duplicate Fire Auras add another 3-5 “charges” of reflection and their duration; again modifiable by the Conjurer trait.
    • As implied, Fire Aura ends prematurely if the charges are used up.
Iva Malthias – 80 Engineer
Marellune Malthias – 80 Elementalist
Devil’s Dominion [DD] – Yak’s Bend

in Elementalist

BlackBeard.2873

To address GoEP:
Glyph of Elemental Power

• The idea of a stunbreak giving you the opportunity to deal damage back sounds good in theory, but multiple skills across multiple classes have languished that have used this exact same design philosophy. See: Engineer Utility Goggles, Warrior Stomp etc.
  • The RNG proc doesn’t help either. Though the effect duration of 30 seconds is long enough to proc at least once of each condition for all 4 attunements, that doesn’t exactly a good skill make.

Personally, GoEP is one of my favorite skills and is just SO CLOSE to being useful. It helps that: the condition that procs depends on the attunement it was cast in, which helps in a few ways:
- Using GoEP in air to stunbreak a burst from thieves/mesmers is very strong b/c it not only helps you avoid that damage, but you can easily spam out perma-weakness which KILLS their dps. I sometimes use GoEP with staff to spam weakness on large groups too in WvW.
- If burning stacks, using this in fire will be central to almost any condi ele for lots of dps.
- I know people hate on the stunbreak, but I think it adds to the skill-cap of GoEP. In some fights, you save it for the stunbreak. In some fights, you want to pre-emptively spam out weakness. In other situations you want that extra dps from burn procs. It has the potential to be a very skill-intensive trait in a lot of ways.

The downsides:
- The chill from water and cripple in earth just aren’t on the same power level. In theory they can be used to mess up rotations/kite, but ele has so much access to cripples that it can’t keep up. The chill would REALLY be helped by a water trait (or fire trait) that makes chill do damage (as terrormancers have with fear). This would also REALLY help condi ele.

I would very much LOVE if the glyph trait made ALL glyphs give auras per-attunement (even if duration depended on the skill), and/or one of the glyphs just gave auras as its functionality.

One thing that must be addressed is “Fire Aura”: Right now it’s…not great.

I can see one problem with straight-up buffing fire auras is that it ALSO buffs the other classes who can get them quite easily (warrior, engie, some ranger builds). One good option is to actually give it the -20% condition duration listed in the focus-skill tooltip (that has been bugged forever). The other option is to make the “aura enhancement” master-level fire trait give it functionality that isn’t as useless. A longer duration of something so useless and might stacks on a class that already pumps them out is kinda dumb. This trait could give some of the buffs suggested, but as it is, fire auras are just kind of bad.

(edited by BlackBeard.2873)

in Elementalist

Posted by: FrownyClown.8402

FrownyClown.8402

glyph of storms isnt affective for 2 reasons. first ppl arent going to sit in it. second it does little in the amount of time ppl are in it. They need to make it hard hitting like giant versions of all the staff 2 skills or they need to make it move along with the ele and giving it a static cast range of 600 range.

glyph of elemental power is really good. if it applied an aura as well it would probably be used.

The heal will only be used if it is instant, the boons gained are buffed and its duration reduced.

lesser glyph of elemental. useless needs replacing with something else entirely.

great glyph of elemental. okay. i rarely notice its skill go off. range of their cast needs to have impact. id say 600 range is a good start.

Bad Elementalist

in Elementalist

lLobo.7960

Personally, GoEP is one of my favorite skills and is just SO CLOSE to being useful. It helps that: the condition that procs depends on the attunement it was cast in, which helps in a few ways:
- Using GoEP in air to stunbreak a burst from thieves/mesmers is very strong b/c it not only helps you avoid that damage, but you can easily spam out perma-weakness which KILLS their dps. I sometimes use GoEP with staff to spam weakness on large groups too in WvW.
- If burning stacks, using this in fire will be central to almost any condi ele for lots of dps.
- I know people hate on the stunbreak, but I think it adds to the skill-cap of GoEP. In some fights, you save it for the stunbreak. In some fights, you want to pre-emptively spam out weakness. In other situations you want that extra dps from burn procs. It has the potential to be a very skill-intensive trait in a lot of ways.

The downsides:
- The chill from water and cripple in earth just aren’t on the same power level. In theory they can be used to mess up rotations/kite, but ele has so much access to cripples that it can’t keep up. The chill would REALLY be helped by a water trait (or fire trait) that makes chill do damage (as terrormancers have with fear). This would also REALLY help condi ele.

I use it like that on my balanced build also.
The problem is, the ICD AND proc chance. It shouldn’t have both!
And I do believe its useless with staff as the ICD is not per opponent, so you only apply some condi to one target in the crowd… I could be wrong in this, but really think its the way it works (and it shouldn’t!)…

One thing that must be addressed is “Fire Aura”: Right now it’s…not great.

I can see one problem with straight-up buffing fire auras is that it ALSO buffs the other classes who can get them quite easily (warrior, engie, some ranger builds). One good option is to actually give it the -20% condition duration listed in the focus-skill tooltip (that has been bugged forever). The other option is to make the “aura enhancement” master-level fire trait give it functionality that isn’t as useless. A longer duration of something so useless and might stacks on a class that already pumps them out is kinda dumb. This trait could give some of the buffs suggested, but as it is, fire auras are just kind of bad.

Fire aura needs to remove condi on beeing hit (1 condi, 1sec icd), reducing condi pressure on the ele and becoming a option besides water spec, but not beeing far superior to it.
The fire aura trait should provide might for every 2secs of fire aura. This would make chaining fire auras (instead of spamming) another option to stack might without having to use fields and blasts.

We need options, diversity, not nerfs!

in Elementalist

BlackBeard.2873

And I do believe its useless with staff as the ICD is not per opponent, so you only apply some condi to one target in the crowd… I could be wrong in this, but really think its the way it works (and it shouldn’t!)…

The ICD is per-target, unlike blinding ashes.

in Elementalist

MonMalthias.4763

Well, why not make GoEP X attacks after activation like I proposed? Now you have a 100% reliable proc rate, removed the ICD component (so now you can be really offensive with AOE spells and become a condi cleave machine) and the skill is now valuable even outside of Condi builds (due to 100% reliable Weakness and Chill).

As for Fire Aura being buffed, more of the reworked functionality can be shifted onto the One With Fire trait, although this would do no favours for the tooltip in Specialisation view. Thus:
One With Fire

• Fire Auras you apply last longer and grant Might on application. Reflect incoming damage and reduce incoming condition duration
    • 33% Duration bonus
    • 2 x Might @ 10 seconds base duration (I presume the devs had Strength runes or something similar on)
    • Incoming Condition duration: -20%
    • Damage reflection: 5%

The alternative is as ILobo proposed:

Fire aura needs to remove condi on beeing hit (1 condi, 1sec icd), reducing condi pressure on the ele and becoming a option besides water spec, but not beeing far superior to it.
The fire aura trait should provide might for every 2secs of fire aura. This would make chaining fire auras (instead of spamming) another option to stack might without having to use fields and blasts.

So:
One With Fire

• Fire Auras you apply last longer and grant Might on application. Reflect X% incoming damage and cleanse Y Conditions on being hit
    • 33% Duration bonus
    • 2 x Might @ 10 seconds base duration (I presume the devs had Strength runes or something similar on)
    • Conditions cleansed on being hit: 1-2

With the amount of incidental condition output nowadays and triple Signet + Lightning Flash builds having an average CD of ~20 seconds (with new Written in Stone trait) this puts the average Fire Aura output at ~20/3 = 6.6 seconds between possible activations.

• So you can cleanse up to 9-18 conditions per minute; well on par with the meta Cleansing Wave/Cleansing Water/Elemental Attunement/Evasive Arcana of 2 × 6 (2 per attunement to Water per minute) + 1 × 6 (1 Water Attunement dodge roll). Total = 18.
  • Given that Signets are cooldown limited and require that you take damage to proc cleanse this is a fair tradeoff. Heck, you don’t even get the innate sustain of the meta build out of the bargain.

(edited by MonMalthias.4763)

in Elementalist

Posted by: Jski.6180

Jski.6180

Just make all glyphs give a base line boon on use and the old trait that that once did this give an aoe version on that boon + 1-2 time stronger. Make the heal glyph a bit stronger. I would not mind seeing the pet glyph be more on the lines of pets that cant be killed after the first 15 sec they are called. Glyph of storms needs to be a field on-top of an attk. Glyph of ele power is fine as it is.

Main : Jski Imaginary ELE (Necromancer)
Guild : OBEY (The Legacy) I call it Obay , TLC (WvW) , UNIV (other)
Server : FA

in Elementalist

lLobo.7960

As for Fire Aura being buffed, more of the reworked functionality can be shifted onto the One With Fire trait, although this would do no favours for the tooltip in Specialisation view. Thus:
One With Fire

• Fire Auras you apply last longer and grant Might on application. Reflect incoming damage and reduce incoming condition duration
    • 33% Duration bonus
    • Incoming Condition duration: -20%

The alternative is as ILobo proposed:

So:
One With Fire

• Fire Auras you apply last longer and grant Might on application. Reflect X% incoming damage and cleanse Y Conditions on being hit
    • 33% Duration bonus
    • Conditions cleansed on being hit: 1-2

With the amount of incidental condition output nowadays and triple Signet + Lightning Flash builds having an average CD of ~20 seconds (with new Written in Stone trait) this puts the average Fire Aura output at ~20/3 = 6.6 seconds between possible activations.

• So you can cleanse up to 9-18 conditions per minute; well on par with the meta Cleansing Wave/Cleansing Water/Elemental Attunement/Evasive Arcana of 2 × 6 (2 per attunement to Water per minute) + 1 × 6 (1 Water Attunement dodge roll). Total = 18.
  • Given that Signets are cooldown limited and require that you take damage to proc cleanse this is a fair tradeoff. Heck, you don’t even get the innate sustain of the meta build out of the bargain.

I think this should go in here: https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/hot/suggestion-Fire-Aura-rework/

in Elementalist

MonMalthias.4763

Noted. Reposted in relevant thread.