Where is the damage?

Where is the damage?

in Elementalist

Posted by: Da Beetus.1275

Da Beetus.1275

I thought this thread was more about WvW and SPvP, but it looks as if PvE has taken over?

Oh, so as long as the pvp side of things are fine, the pve can be ignored? If ANet were to balance classes in pvp separate from pve, I wouldn’t be posting here. However, they tend to apply the changes to both sides, and I felt there was a balance issue on the pve aspects of the elementalist as well.

Correct me if I’m wrong, but isn’t the general “consensus” among forum-goers that eles are in a better position in PvE/WvW than sPvP or tPvP?

I find this thread amusing because it seems like an argument in which one side can not gather sufficient evidence to support their argument and instead attempts to change the argument into one in which they can win.

At the same time, however, there have been many interesting points brought up about many different aspects of ele gameplay so don’t let me stop things : )

Why do those that know the least know it the loudest?

Where is the damage?

in Elementalist

Posted by: Snorcha.7586

Snorcha.7586

Ele has fine damage, the effort it takes to stay alive to deal that damage is completely out of wak to pretty much every other class in the game.

Where is the damage?

in Elementalist

Posted by: MarzAttakz.9608

MarzAttakz.9608

We’re looking at two sides of the same coin essentially Da Beetus, well more like two sides and the rim outside.

Heads, we have pve builds, I’m open to correction here since I don’t do much pve, but people playing PVE are often going deep into air and fire and use conjures the most.

Tails, we have sPVP, still dipping into air but with more earth, water and arcana thrown into the mix depending on the role.

Along the rim of the coin we have WvW, either as a roamer, dueller or zerger, again a solid mix of air, water, earth and arcana depending on what you’re doing since you don’t have the luxury of knowing the dungeon or the format of 5v5 structured environment.

Using the coin metaphor further in my opinion what it is cast from would be the common theme for everything, and Elementalists are made from copper, a soft metal lacking survivability.

YOU KNOW THERE AIN’T NO REST FOR THE WICKED, TILL WE CLOSE OUR EYES FOR GOOD.

Once proud member of Extraordinary Gentlemen [EXG]{DESO4LIFE}

Where is the damage?

in Elementalist

Posted by: oZii.2864

oZii.2864

We’re looking at two sides of the same coin essentially Da Beetus, well more like two sides and the rim outside.

Heads, we have pve builds, I’m open to correction here since I don’t do much pve, but people playing PVE are often going deep into air and fire and use conjures the most.

Tails, we have sPVP, still dipping into air but with more earth, water and arcana thrown into the mix depending on the role.

Along the rim of the coin we have WvW, either as a roamer, dueller or zerger, again a solid mix of air, water, earth and arcana depending on what you’re doing since you don’t have the luxury of knowing the dungeon or the format of 5v5 structured environment.

Using the coin metaphor further in my opinion what it is cast from would be the common theme for everything, and Elementalists are made from copper, a soft metal lacking survivability.

This is excellent assessment. Though if your zerging you can definitely get away with 30/30 it is funny blowing people up at range with staff as long as nobody notices you. Hitting people for 4k+ with fire auto attack is always surprising especially since it is like 1500 range.

[Good Fights]Sinndicate{Ele}Sinactic{Engineer}
Sinnastor{Warrior}Sinnacle{Mesmer}Sintacs
{Thief}

Where is the damage?

in Elementalist

Posted by: Da Beetus.1275

Da Beetus.1275

snip

Using the coin metaphor, I’d say eles are made of silver. They look really shiny to begin with but, without proper care, tarnish easily.

Still lots of value though. ; )

Why do those that know the least know it the loudest?

Where is the damage?

in Elementalist

Posted by: SQLOwns.7316

SQLOwns.7316

It seems warriors, thieves, ect can face roll on the keyboard and find a way to deal more than 3k damage in an attack, but my elementalist has to align the stars and planets to come close to that amount of damage.

Seriously … its like a check list … am I above 90% health, am I within 600 units, am I in the correct attunement, does that attunement even have a damage ability off cooldown, ect, ect.

Even after the hammer nerf my warrior has 500 more armor, nearly double the hitpoint, and can press just about any attack and deal more damage than my elementalist whenever he wants.

Eles are the weakest in the game…Anyone who doesn’t admit that is either trolling or just misinformed. All of these “pro” ele players talk about how they get 500 kills a night in WvW, but none of them post videos showing them owning all of these other players…(well one did, and all he got for his trouble was his build nerfed.) Sure you can do a ton of damage as a glass cannon, but then you literally get 2 shotted by a thief or 3-5 shotted by a war, so you still lose as all of eles big damage abilities do damage over time and require you to be immobile. And with AoEs being as easy to dodge as a blind linebacker, it doesn’t matter anyway.

SQL Owns – Elementalist
Dragon Steel [DSL]
Henge of Denravi

Where is the damage?

in Elementalist

Posted by: Player Character.9467

Player Character.9467

So now we have the ever so popular 20/30/10/0/10 build?

So, if the target is burning, below 33% health, I am in Air, and am practically in melee range … I get to do better than average damage with the least amount of survivability in the game. But if none of those are valid I still get to keep the lowest amount of survivability in the game for just average damage.

I don’t see how that risk/reward works out compared to how its applied to other classes is all.

Hi, I run 20/30/10/0/10.
Between Internal Fire, Bolt to the Heart, Tempest Defense, and Stone Splinters I get +73% damage just from traits on my phoenix in an earthquake-phoenix combo. Damage is in the second post which you laughed off as a downed uplevel.

Also, 600 range is not “practically in melee range,” at least for S/D. It’s +10% to nearly all my skills.

1. That doesn’t add up to 73%.
2. So now its everything i said before -and- they need to be knocked down/stunned. Another hoop to jump through that is negatable by stability/stun breaks. Nice.
3. S/D build with no Arcana and using Tempest Defense … huh?!?

Ah, so it does. It would be 10+20+20+10 for 60% more. So 448% instead of 484%.

What’s wrong with no arcana and tempest defense? This is an offensive build.

Ur both wrong, that’s not 73%, that’s not 60%, it’s 74.24%, modifiers are multiplied not added.
1.1*1.2*1.2*1.1=1.7424

Where is the damage?

in Elementalist

Posted by: reikken.4961

reikken.4961

burn duration and general condition duration modifiers are added (I tested), so I would assume damage modifiers are added as well. have not tested myself, however

Where is the damage?

in Elementalist

Posted by: oZii.2864

oZii.2864

burn duration and general condition duration modifiers are added (I tested), so I would assume damage modifiers are added as well. have not tested myself, however

Damage modifiers are multiplicative I believe but defensive modifiers are additive. I could be wrong here but there is a really long post in the guardian forums about it about 0 damage taken.

[Good Fights]Sinndicate{Ele}Sinactic{Engineer}
Sinnastor{Warrior}Sinnacle{Mesmer}Sintacs
{Thief}

Where is the damage?

in Elementalist

Posted by: Scyndek.5273

Scyndek.5273

It seems warriors, thieves, ect can face roll on the keyboard and find a way to deal more than 3k damage in an attack, but my elementalist has to align the stars and planets to come close to that amount of damage.

Seriously … its like a check list … am I above 90% health, am I within 600 units, am I in the correct attunement, does that attunement even have a damage ability off cooldown, ect, ect.

Even after the hammer nerf my warrior has 500 more armor, nearly double the hitpoint, and can press just about any attack and deal more damage than my elementalist whenever he wants.

Found that link quoted in one of my posts from over a year ago.

Pretty funny video you should watch.

Elementalist – Isle of Janthir