Why do YOU like the elementalist?

in Elementalist

Posted by: Nox.6318

Nox.6318

Hey!
So from day one i have played my elementalist, and…I love it!
I had no idea until I came to this forum that it was so hated among its players and I have a hard time seeing why. Have i been playing with bad people that i dont see what other classes can do compared to me? Are people here worse than me? pff no I suck at video games.

I am playing a staff fire / arcana / lighting spec ele and i LOVE it, and I am not at all seeing the problem people are having. Are we squishy? yes, yes we are. I build a **** glass cannon, I know i am squishy, that is why I learned how to dodge, position myself before i cast meteor storm and actually rely on my team mates.

But down to the question! Can we get some reasons and some love for our class on this forum? come on people!

in Elementalist

Posted by: Rack.4930

Rack.4930

There’s a lot of fun in the playstyle to be had. Dropping a churning Earth as I see enemies running towards me en masse, timing it so they all get hit as they enter the circle. Coming across a big tough slow brute and hitting him with 3 successive blinds in different elements and utility skills. Swapping around the different effects of glyphs giving me some insane kiting abilities when my rapid firing air attacks continually apply cripples. Dropping mass AoEs into dynamic events for great contribution rates.

Pretty much everything up until I go into a dense cave, spend minutes dancing around continually respawning enemies, gradually beating them down before dying and being sent to the most useless downed state in the history of gaming, as I watch a warrior clear the entire thing in 2 seconds flat just spamming his auto attack.

in Elementalist

Posted by: rhodoc.2381

rhodoc.2381

Well only because staff is amazing in WvW. No1 can get close to Ele AOE dmg in WvW and it is also fun in PvE so it is enuf for me.

PvP, it is another story…

[VcY] Velocity – Gargamell

in Elementalist

Posted by: frodamn.3706

frodamn.3706

Go to PvP, put 30 points in to water and earth, get toughness/vitality runes, and go scepter for the Rock barrier for another 250 toughness, and watch people randomly chew through you by spamming one move while you press every single button you have to try and stay alive while being a “tank”. Its pathetic.

And yes, I did actually make a thief and spammed heartseeker and every ele was a free kill, actually, everyone was a free kill. Then I learned about pistol whip, and it was even easier.

This PvP is a joke and is no better than 3.1 patch from wow with ret palys and arcane mages vs people in full PvE gear.

in Elementalist

Posted by: BishopX.6453

BishopX.6453

because im a masachist and every single game i play that class thats supposed to be hard to use but worth the reward and it never is and i always play them……….

daoc aug healer nature druid,
wow prot warr,
Warhammer dps runepriest,
rift melee cleric
now ELEMENTALIST IN SPVP!!!

yes thats 20 years of mmo pvp and i still cant break that annoying habbit. im like a woman who only dates convicted felons

in Elementalist

Posted by: BishopX.6453

BishopX.6453

I spec 30 water for the HP healing and split the rest between toughness and arcane so I can change stances faster for the buffs. I the load up on toughness and vitality and i get absolutly ROCKED by people spamming 1 button auto attacks

someone told me “you not playing ele right you gotta change stances!!”
my opening attacks on him,
EARTH rock barrier… throw ..blind..
switch to air , free insta bolt, casted insta bolt ride the lightning thenknockdown
FIRE, begin casting dragon tooth while he is on ground, target with phoenix (both hit at same time ring of fire + blast wave (+3 stacks of might)

THIS WAS MY OPENING ATTACK ON A RANGER
he spammed 1 button and killed me from here
that opening above was done before he responded

and i still died
47 hits of crossfire

in Elementalist

Posted by: norael.2104

norael.2104

Yeah, I’m a bit confused on the PVP side of things, but tbh any multiplayer game with PVP turns by default into pubbies vs pre-mades calling targets. It’s no different in GW2.

As for PVE, I love doing scepter/dagger or even dagger/focus (odd combo, slow as hell, but it actually makes you tanky as well) with Earth as the primary attuned element with fire or water as the situation calls for (DPS or some healing or chill conditions).

in Elementalist

Posted by: Passiflora.2047

Passiflora.2047

On a positive note, I like Elementalist because the spells have neat visual effects, I like the idea of elemental powers, and the light armor is gorgeous.

in Elementalist

Posted by: GankSinatra.2653

GankSinatra.2653

‘before i cast meteor storm’

We’re talking about pvp dude.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Erebus.7568

Erebus.7568

meteor storm looks awesome even though it hits like a weat nuddle even in full on crit/per/power max gear ^^

i look the flashy effects and the idea of being a mage as my main… always played mage in every game i play…. i would rather not play gw2 then not play a mage….. so yer… hopefully buff/revamp comming soon or the release of something decent like blade and souls or archage ^^

in Elementalist

Posted by: Dacromir.6207

Dacromir.6207

I just recently started my Ele. About level 20, maybe 15 sPvP matches. I’m playing D/D and constantly changing my traits around.

I enjoy the class because there’s SO MUCH to do. Other classes tend to have a DPS rotation of a couple of skills. There’s a lot of skill involved in when to use utility/control/defensive skills, but for just doing damage it’s usually auto-attack plus one or two skills when they’re up. With my Elementalist, I’m playing Bach on my keyboard and it’s awesome. I’m constantly shifting between attunements for some really cool combos and awesome moments.

I’m still learning the class, and the complexity is a little overwhelming. However, it’s a glorious, chaotic, colorful mess and I’m loving it. I’m not sure what all the QQ is about, because the amount of damage you can pull out on an Elementalist is crazy. I can see having the issues you guys describe if you’re using a staff (AoE weapon) against a single player and trying to face-tank them, but I’ve not really had the issues. Yes, I die, but I’m a squishy and that’s what I expected going into it. However, with all of the different tools at my disposal I can counter almost every gimmick build.

I’m having a blast. If you’re not, play a different class.

in Elementalist

GankSinatra.2653

Because i thought i could focus on 1 or 2 different attunements, as a bonus to a class that uses different elements. It seemed really interesting but it didnt work out as i thought at all. I figured that if im an Earth Elem, i have so much experience in it that i could for instance run around with rock around my body to give me extra toughness when in different attunements. I have MASTERED an element, and i can still only use it 25% of the time? I mastered earth but lose any proficiency at it when i switch to a different element? Elementalists arent masters of the elements at all.

I still think its an amazing fun class that i can probably play with a lot of joy if it had the power of the other classes. But it still has a lot of fundamental flaws, mostly that it feels like im LOSING OUT on abilities when switching, not that i suddenly increased my power and utility. If i need to use air, i dont go ‘YES I CAN BLOW kitten UP NOW’, i go ‘oh great now im forced to take a 10 second cooldown on my earth knockback i cant use right now’. And guess what, we arent durable enough to constantly put cooldowns on our spells we dont even use, let alone a massive cast time on all of them when we do use em.

Your view of the elementalist doesnt feel like its working, arena net. Switching attunements doesnt feel like a great gameplay idea, it feels like something detrimental that holds us back. The only way for us to get an advantage out of it is with a 10 point arcane trait, which guess what, is considered mandatory by now. And regen doesnt heal for anything unless you get water traits, 1 stack of might is nothing, swiftness is for running between kitten bases, oh i guess the whopping 4 second 33% dmg reduction is okay. Which actually puts you at the same survival as other classes because they will most likely have much higher hp and armor to offset that insane crazy 33% DR for 4 seconds on the most paper class of the game. Go check mesmers base hp and you will cry. They have a permant protection on compared to you.

Elementalist, masters of 1 attunement at a time, short buffs and wasted cooldowns.

(edited by GankSinatra.2653)

in Elementalist

GankSinatra.2653

I just recently started my Ele. About level 20, maybe 15 sPvP matches. I’m playing D/D and constantly changing my traits around.

I enjoy the class because there’s SO MUCH to do. Other classes tend to have a DPS rotation of a couple of skills. There’s a lot of skill involved in when to use utility/control/defensive skills, but for just doing damage it’s usually auto-attack plus one or two skills when they’re up. With my Elementalist, I’m playing Bach on my keyboard and it’s awesome. I’m constantly shifting between attunements for some really cool combos and awesome moments.

I’m still learning the class, and the complexity is a little overwhelming. However, it’s a glorious, chaotic, colorful mess and I’m loving it. I’m not sure what all the QQ is about, because the amount of damage you can pull out on an Elementalist is crazy. I can see having the issues you guys describe if you’re using a staff (AoE weapon) against a single player and trying to face-tank them, but I’ve not really had the issues. Yes, I die, but I’m a squishy and that’s what I expected going into it. However, with all of the different tools at my disposal I can counter almost every gimmick build.

I’m having a blast. If you’re not, play a different class.

Ah the joys of being a fresh new elementalist ^^ Not yet checking the combat log and seeing the difference in damage you take and deal compared to all other classes. All for giving yourself the smallest range of any light armor class and going melee for your burst.