Why do people try to say ele is simple?

in Elementalist

Posted by: Ryou.2398

Ryou.2398

Just because you dont switch attunements dont make the class simple, its far from simple and ive been hearing how they are simple lately, yet a few months ago people would say they are complex, these people must not be playing an ele right if they think its that simple.

in Elementalist

Posted by: reikken.4961

reikken.4961

Ele used to be more difficult to play before HoT, but tempest makes it pretty easy.

In any case, pve staff dps ele is very simple. You only need to press 3 buttons. Lava font→ meteor shower. wait 4 seconds. lava font→overload. wait 4 seconds. lava font on cooldown until meteor shower is off cooldown. repeat. Congratulations, you have the game’s top dps.

If you want to get extra fancy, add ice bow, and for the lava fonts with no channel in between, press autoattack to cancel the lava font’s aftercast delay.

Now, support ele isn’t nearly as simple. Ele in any vs player context is not simple at all.

in Elementalist

Ryou.2398

Ele used to be more difficult to play before HoT, but tempest makes it pretty easy.

In any case, pve staff dps ele is very simple. You only need to press 3 buttons. Lava font-> meteor shower. wait 4 seconds. lava font->overload. wait 4 seconds. lava font on cooldown until meteor shower is off cooldown. repeat. Congratulations, you have the game’s top dps.

If you want to get extra fancy, add ice bow, and for the lava fonts with no channel in between, press autoattack to cancel the lava font’s aftercast delay.

Now, support ele isn’t nearly as simple. Ele in any vs player context is not simple at all.

There are multiple metabuilds for pve though thats only one of the dps builds.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Roul.3205

Roul.3205

In any case, pve staff dps ele is very simple. You only need to press 3 buttons. Lava font-> meteor shower. wait 4 seconds. lava font->overload. wait 4 seconds. lava font on cooldown until meteor shower is off cooldown. repeat. Congratulations, you have the game’s top dps.

Pretty much every ele build is simple whatsoever. I think something that actually still is atleast bit complex on ele is prestacking might, stacking swiftness, precasting things such as dragontooth or overload air, using mobility skills to keep up with other party
Members.. However, pretty
Much all these things got lost with the dungeon nerf and raids getting implemented.
So after all yes, ele is pretty kittening easy now, as reikken said, blame hot.

in Elementalist

Posted by: vesica tempestas.1563

vesica tempestas.1563

staff is not so simple if you are considering more factors beyond dpsing your face off. I would say Ele offers a rang of play from simple spam rotation to complex reactive behaviour and build adjustments.

“Trying to please everyone would not only be challenging
but would also result in a product that might not satisfy anyone”- Roman Pichler, Strategize

in Elementalist

Posted by: steve.2945

steve.2945

playing an ele, is like playing an instrument. Once you play it long enough you’ll get to the point that it’s simple. I used to think dagger fresh air was complicated, but playing if for 3 months, i realized it’s quite easy and rewarding.

Proud TTS member

in Elementalist

Ryou.2398

Well ele is suppose to be one of the most complex classes, if ele isnt complex anymore what is?

in Elementalist

Posted by: Wolfric.9380

Wolfric.9380

It still is. But Hot made it easier to get more out with less skill.
You can make a build that camps fire and does decent after a bit training.
You can make a build that camps earth and won´t die fast.
If you rotate elements, after some training you can do OK.
But playing ele to utilize his potential to a high level requires a lot of skill. You stop rotating from a sceme, you use 4 elements situational and lots of skill reactional. You watch the battlefield and have traind to swap depending on situation.
I made this experience and this is one reason i stick to ele.
Example: Last summer i died to thiefs. They attacked, cloaked, attacked and about the fourth killed me regulary. Now i seek them and if the don´t run they die. This is the reason i don´t fear druids or dragon hunters. They became prey. And i don´t consider myself a top player. I made a build i am compftable with and focused on ele. I did go back to arcane again and now i know what many old eles feel..
I love adapting a build und doing counterbuilds. And i like tactical play. I try to learn warrior and for me it is harder to play warrior with less skills and insane regeneration then ele with 13k HP and four elements … with warrior i have some combination to do a lot of damage and thats it. Blow berserkers stance, leap on your target and do what your build can do. Theres no reactive play except doding and stunbreaking. You focus to kill yor target. Its somtimes fun but can´t compete with my ele from the feeling. I know warrior is good and they can kill me but i feel much more flexible on my ele and i can pull amazing things and group support with the ele, while with warror i can just kill fast XD ….
with my ele fights are diffrent. I kite, i go close, i keep skills for later or i just blow all in an assault. Of course i have patterns, but each fight is diffrent.

(edited by Wolfric.9380)

in Elementalist

Posted by: Kyon.9735

Kyon.9735

Well for me the complexity is playing Ele/Tenpest on non meta builds. I’ve tried (and still trying) to find better builds. They’re obviously not as strong at meta but it’s a lot more fun.

in Elementalist

Posted by: gin.7158

gin.7158

Meh… ele is so simple both for pve and pvp. Instrument wutt??? more like faceroll on keyboard.

in Elementalist

Ryou.2398

Meh… ele is so simple both for pve and pvp. Instrument wutt??? more like faceroll on keyboard.

Maybe a warrior but not an ele.

in Elementalist

Posted by: snaplemouton.1294

snaplemouton.1294

People say that every classes are simple.
It’s nothing new.
That’s how it is in EVERY SINGLE GAME EVER MADE.
Everything is simple when you don’t actually play it.
That can also be related to real life where everything everyone does is simple if you don’t do it yourself.
It’s simple to develop a game. It’s simple to play piano. It’s simple to do a back handspring.

Everything is so simple to do.

in Elementalist

Wolfric.9380

And you even don´t recognize it. I started to play ele. Leraning curve was steep.
about threee month later i died to thiefs in WvW regulary and developed my personal build. I did stick to ele most of the time and learned. About two month later i had not only a build working for me thiefs did´t kill me anymore to easy. Hot came and i droped arcane. But i like tempest its not the same but it fits me and my playstyle. I started PvP with Hot. It was about stable i think i´d been average and while winning at the beginning i usualy stop at ruby (to grindy for me to go higher, can´t do much more then about 100 games per season).
And now lately i recognized that i seemd to have improved again and this step is one most can´t imagine after 100 or 200 matches. I am now going near the 1k and it is not simple. You have automatic knowledge of your ele and automatized all keybindes so its even very hard to change them again. While i can play staff, swaping to it drops my performance enormeously. Yes with some tanky or simple fire builds ele iseasy to start but then there comes a long way to master it and i am still far from that.

in Elementalist

Posted by: lucadiro.4519

lucadiro.4519

Well ele is suppose to be one of the most complex classes, if ele isnt complex anymore what is?

Condi engie and Mesmer are both complex to do optimal dps or support rotation (read it as quikness and alacrity sharing) .
Tempest made elementalist brainless and easy to play.
Everyone can pick a tempest and do perfect rotation, but It’s way harder do it with engie or Mesmer.

What require skill is the role elementalist has, not the dps rotation.
I mean both fresh air and fire staff builds are very easy to play, but what require skill is for example do the orbs cleaning duty at gorseval, while dpsing gorseval, or do the cannon duty at sabetha. This require surely more skill than stay in melee range to dps. But this is not about elementalist, is about the role it has.

Obviusly this is about pve. Pvp is totaly another story.
In pvp, even if you play the metà cleric build, you need to have a knowledge of your skill and other classes’s skills, and know when to use them and when not. You need to know what you have in cooldown in other attunement.
You need to pay attention at you, your enemies and the most important thing is you have to pay attention at your allies, to know when you should heal them or cleans their condition.
But again it is more for the role elementalist has
It’s way easier in my opinion play a dps class, since you usually have to care less about mates and focus more on timing and avoid damage.

Parabrezza

(edited by lucadiro.4519)

in Elementalist

lucadiro.4519

Maybe a warrior but not an ele.

To be honest, on a pve prospettive (moslty about raids) there are classes way more faceroll to play than warrior, like thieves and DH that only have to autoattack and sometime press an utility. At least warrior has some skill rotation to do. PS condi warr have also to swap weapons.

Parabrezza

in Elementalist

lucadiro.4519

The fact that with metà cleric build is easy to survive in pvp it doesn’t mean it is faceroll and easy. You have to be good to survive while giving support heals and cleans at your allies using your skills in the right time.
In ranked pvp I actually see a lot of difference between bad eles and good eles.

Parabrezza

in Elementalist

lucadiro.4519

The other dps build for pve is fresh air that I think It’s easier to play since has more susistain than fire staff.
Thats because swap to fire give you an aura (aka heal) and you have another from Dagger 3. So It’s way more easier to save your scholar rune’s buff than playing staff without breack your dps rotation.

The only other metabuild is the raid healer, that maybe require you a little more effort since is like to play fresh air but require you to use your heals when allies need it.
Maybe this could be a bit more complex.

The only build that is hard to play, mostly because require stationary enemies to be effective, is condi burning temepest. But to be honest, how much people run this build lol

Parabrezza

(edited by lucadiro.4519)

in Elementalist

Posted by: Josh XT.6053

Josh XT.6053

I think Staff ele is pretty simple personally. Dagger/Warhorn wasn’t so simple to learn and get good at. I think playing Dagger / Warhorn ele was probably the hardest to learn to be great at of all of thr classes and builds I’ve played.

The only thing I had close to that trouble with as kit engineer. Which these days isn’t really the way to play engineer anyway lol.

I do think people generalize ele with staff ele though. Staff is pretty easy to play but to be great at? Maybe not as easy. It’s all about timing. Most think they can just sit in fire and press 1, 2 and 5 all day and they’re good. Might be true for PvE but not for WvW.

Asphyxia [XT] – Fort Aspenwood Roamer
Twitch Stream – AsphyxiaXT
My Builds at Asphyxia.tv/builds

in Elementalist

lucadiro.4519

.Most think they can just sit in fire and press 1, 2 and 5 all day and they’re good. Might be true for PvE but not for WvW.

That’s because for wvw and pve you use different builds, gameplay and you are playing vs real players.
But in pve you have just to press 1, 2, 5, f1.

Also in these days playing and engi in pve means use kits.

Parabrezza

in Elementalist

Posted by: Pakkazull.6894

Pakkazull.6894

Engineer is.

The only thing I had close to that trouble with as kit engineer. Which these days isn’t really the way to play engineer anyway lol.

Uh, there’s basically no viable engineer build that doesn’t use kits. You could probably play a kitless scrapper for WvW and PvP though (I still wouldn’t want to drop Elixir Gun though).

in Elementalist

Josh XT.6053

Engineer is.

Uh, there’s basically no viable engineer build that doesn’t use kits. You could probably play a kitless scrapper for WvW and PvP though (I still wouldn’t want to drop Elixir Gun though).

Not kitless – I just meant you aren’t running 4 kits lol. I think the meta scrapper still uses elixir gun. I haven’t played mine in a long time so I’m not the right person to speak for it.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Alex Shatter.7956

Alex Shatter.7956

i love ele to death but it is pretty easy in all game modes. Perhaps that will change if/when they nerf its healing and sustain in the next patch

in Elementalist

Wolfric.9380

Nerf ele self sustain without compensation on some active defences or offence and you go a high risk killing all ele builds. It´s easy to hit most non meta builds much more then the meta support …. I see no need in nerfing self sustain. Powerful aura is the only trait i would nerf if needed.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Lalainnia.3598

Lalainnia.3598

Ele isn’t simple it’s just safe things that tend to have a ton of sustain in the form of healing or active/passive defense ppl will always accuse as being easy. It’s extremely easy to notice when an ele is well played at higher tiers of play from each individual person compared to an inexperienced one that shoots off all their abilities at once and switches attuenments on cd without even paying attention to what’s actually going on.

Another important thing to take into account it may seem mean or snobbish but a decent amount of ppl that actually do complain about ele support aren’t that great at putting out effective damage, and by effective i mean locked down damage burst under different methods of cc.

in Elementalist

Josh XT.6053

Another important thing to take into account it may seem mean or snobbish but a decent amount of ppl that actually do complain about ele support aren’t that great at putting out effective damage, and by effective i mean locked down damage burst under different methods of cc.

^ This is exactly right. People are so fast to blame a class for being over powered because they don’t know how to counter it. Everything has a counter, you just need to find it and exploit it. Ele’s counter for my builds at least is heavy CC. I can counter those CC’s for a short time, but if someone kept up the pressure – they could win the fight. I have one friend that is the only person to ever beat my ele in a 1v1 on his revenant. The reason he beat it is because he timed his heal well and he timed his CCs well for when I would try to heal or overload.

If you know what you’re doing, nothing is impossible to beat, but you need to be built to counter things or know what skills to use and when to use them to counter at least.

in Elementalist

Ryou.2398

The other dps build for pve is fresh air that I think It’s easier to play since has more susistain than fire staff.
Thats because swap to fire give you an aura (aka heal) and you have another from Dagger 3. So It’s way more easier to save your scholar rune’s buff than playing staff without breack your dps rotation.

The only other metabuild is the raid healer, that maybe require you a little more effort since is like to play fresh air but require you to use your heals when allies need it.

The only build that is hard to play, mostly because require stationary enemies to be effective, is condi burning temepest. But to be honest, how much people run this build lol

There are tons of raid builds on metabattle.com check again man.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Alex Shatter.7956

Alex Shatter.7956

No, there isn’t. The little black dot means “meta”. The three metabuilds for ele are FA, staff fire, and healer. The others (mostly condi) are experimental or terribly rated

Attachments:

(edited by Alex Shatter.7956)

in Elementalist

lucadiro.4519

There are 4 in total. And I listed them all.
Also only 3 are raccomanded while one is in testing. So what are you talking about?

Parabrezza

in Elementalist

Ryou.2398

Also only 3 are raccomanded while one is in testing. So what are you talking about?

Doesnt mean they dont work.

in Elementalist

lucadiro.4519

What? Ok I will stop to argue with you.

Parabrezza

in Elementalist

Ryou.2398

What? Ok I will stop to argue with you.

Ok?

in Elementalist

Posted by: Obtena.7952

Obtena.7952

I think the point is that you can make it easy camping one attunement but if you want to push yourself and be pro with the class, the amount you have to know goes way up.

I mean, I’m just a scrub on Ele, camping fire with my staff, but for what I do, I don’t need more. I have no bandwidth for learning the other 3 elements. For me, remembering all those skills, which ones are blast, fields, breakers and how they interact with the traits is where the complexity is.

in Elementalist

Wolfric.9380

Ele can be played so diffrent.
I had a WvW duel against a daredevil yesterday. It was a long fight and while i did play it my style i could endure and hit him hard. He played well and did hit me in short waves.
Then i wanted to know how good he is, because i know what i can do but it´s hard to compare skill. So i changed my rotation to play classic cele ele. And i recognized that he is very good … He has a good knowledge and did interrupt at the right moments. It was my death. I won´t do it again. I wanted to rematch because i did forget my food … but could´t find him again. Ele is a reactive class and you need to know what you can do and what not. I would have beaten an average daredevil playing standard rotation and sustain build, but the good ones i need to play it my way and this makes me happy :-). I will constantly to improve my build acording to my skill and be happy plaing non meta ele.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Sirbeaumerdier.3740

Sirbeaumerdier.3740

I’m so tired of saying this… plz stop lumping all builds and all game mode together as if all the same.

No profession is only hard or easy. They all have faceroll builds in any given context or very unforgiving ones in others. Ele is no exception.

in Elementalist

Wolfric.9380

right :-). But if someone talks about skill, PvE is usualy not included.

in Elementalist

lucadiro.4519

Now Yes. But tue old S/F lighing hammer build required skill.

Parabrezza

in Elementalist

Posted by: Sirbeaumerdier.3740

Sirbeaumerdier.3740

Granted. PVE let you play all you care to play anyway.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Skyric.9246

Skyric.9246

Structured PVP and World vs World is obviously a different story, but if we’re talking about group content PVE, like dungeons/fractals/raids, I’ve found the elementalist rotation to be very simple for both dagger/warhorn and staff. I can’t imagine a class having it any simpler honestly. The tricky part is doing all your boss damage while staying alive in berzerker gear, but for all practical purposes in group content you hardly ever use earth or water. Again, pvp is a different story but I don’t understand what people mean when they say ele is complicated in PVE, at least in group PVE.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Ranael.6423

Ranael.6423

The problem with PvE Ele is that a relative simple rotation gives too good results!
Both fresh air and staff are relatively easy to play sure, but the output of both is crazy.
My Ele is not wearing anything BiS (I dont even have a full zerker set of trinkets on him) but on DPS golem it is already competitve with my other toons.
I also play a non optimal support/condi build (http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vFEQJBLhdygIUzAW2A44AQHBWEAsgAQB4A4mant12iNZY4MA-TxhHQBA4EAwO1f2lyvMqEsW6Bo1DAgC7PQIgFrBA-e) which gives better results than other builds on the market (well at least you don’t loose all your dps to max might and fury around you). This build is also super easy to play !
It’s the same for healer build, it is relatively easy and has huge output. I think this is what people are complaining about on ele : the ratio DPS/difficulty is too high compared to other class.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Pyriall.1683

Pyriall.1683

To be blunt, nothing is complex.