Why is it even called tempest?

in Elementalist

Posted by: Argol Vazin.3061

Argol Vazin.3061

A violent windstorm, especially one with rain, hail, or snow.

What we have is nothing like that, and that definition alone screams a DPS role
We could have had a sword wielding flurry of elemental might that would tear the battlefield up like a raging storm.

Yet we get a vuvuzela blowing drizzle

If the definition of Tempest doesn’t prove Anet are clueless, I don’t know what does

in Elementalist

Posted by: Avador.8934

Avador.8934

RIP sword, we will never forget. . .

I am lazy to write it over and over. So sorry for my English.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Taldren.7523

Taldren.7523

My guildmates and I have been asking the same question. Other than Air Overload there is nothing that ties this elite spec to the name.

80 Elementalist (RotV), 80 Mesmer (RotV)
80 Necromancer (IRNY), 80 Guardian (IRNY)
GW2: it’s like DAoC, but for the WoW crowd.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Zention.1849

Zention.1849

Could we please keep in mind that nothing absolutely nothing justifies the earth overload.

What has riding rocks to do with tempest??? Like for real :o

Homo sum, humani nihil a me alienum puto

in Elementalist

Posted by: rotten.9753

rotten.9753

One can smile when recalling how people here were defending warhorn pick, that it would be used to summon storms.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Xillllix.3485

Xillllix.3485

One can smile when recalling how people here were defending warhorn pick, that it would be used to summon storms.

That’s what people were expecting and how the concept art sold it to us.

However, when you rush things sometimes the end result suffers from it. Tempest just feels rushed all around; there is no synergy between any of the skills, it doesn’t work at the melee range they were pushing for, and it doesn’t work well with any other weapons than daggers either. On top of that the new elite is the worse elite in the game, I would rather have mistfire wolf which at least does something.

in Elementalist

Avador.8934

Yeah, I remember when teaser appeared, 1/2 of ele community got in rage because of warhorn. The rest defended warhorn, saying that because on other classes it is a support weapon, doesn’t mean it will be on tempest too, and it will certainly bring some amazing storm calling skills. I have to smile when remembering how most of them became silent after the blog post

(edited by Avador.8934)

in Elementalist

Avador.8934

We need skill like this:

Attachments:

in Elementalist

Posted by: PlatinumMember.5274

PlatinumMember.5274

I feel so happy. I remember the tempest defense squad trying to crush any arguments. I remember that long thread about how warhorn was better than sword.

in Elementalist

Posted by: nearlight.3064

nearlight.3064

Tempest defense squad, you rang?

Seriously though we all can agree that the warhorn is the best part of the elite sepcialization, as evidenced by the voting thread. And honestly all we really need to make tempest good is to make the overload storms actual storms in their potency and changing traits/skills/mechanics to be overall more impactful, and hopefully with a healthy dose of stability!

Necromancer Main
Taking a break from GW2 to play various
Nintendo games..

in Elementalist

Posted by: OneKlicKill.4285

OneKlicKill.4285

Seriously though we all can agree that the warhorn is the best part of the elite sepcialization, as evidenced by the voting thread. And honestly all we really need to make tempest good is to make the overload storms actual storms in their potency and changing traits/skills/mechanics to be overall more impactful, and hopefully with a healthy dose of stability!

Yes and thats the sad part, because being the best of something bad doesn’t make you good, your just the least bad.

Please skill/trait split and give control to the PvP team. Karl is fucking killing us

in Elementalist

Taldren.7523

No. It isn’t even least bad. That honor goes to Shouts as there are a couple of good ones. Although they still have nothing to do with the Tempest name.

in Elementalist

nearlight.3064

No. It isn’t even least bad. That honor goes to Shouts as there are a couple of good ones. Although they still have nothing to do with the Tempest name.

You’re wrong according to this poll, in which the warhorn received the highest rating, although utilities were only a tad lower.

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/professions/elementalist/Tempest-BW1-Let-s-Vote/first#post5364184

Necromancer Main
Nintendo games..

in Elementalist

Taldren.7523

You’re wrong according to this poll, in which the warhorn received the highest rating, although utilities were only a tad lower.

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/professions/elementalist/Tempest-BW1-Let-s-Vote/first#post5364184

A poll? You think I am a Pollitician? Something can be popular and still wrong. Polls can be rigged or subject to polling bias. I know I never voted in that poll … nor any of my other pvp/wvw teammates that play ele. Warhorn is behind focus and dagger unless you are pve buffing or zerg surfing … then it may be useful as a buff bot tool.

lol, your wrong because of a poll … so many dead philosophers and scientists turning in their grave.

in Elementalist

nearlight.3064

At least I offer quantitative evidence to back up my claims unlike your unsubstantiated spouting. While it may be outclassed by offhand dagger, I merely asserted that it was the best part of the speciazliation (or least bad part if you will), but that doesn’t mean its good. Meanwhile, it would seem that most of the ele forum would agree with me.

Necromancer Main
Nintendo games..

in Elementalist

Taldren.7523

Shock and Aftershock! destroys ranged classes.
Wash the Pain Away! is a very good heal.

Warhorn doesn’t even stack up to focus. If they unlinked Warhorn/Shouts from Tempest you would see far more people using those shouts than Warhorn.

Anyone can quantify anything, that doesn’t mean there is a correlation.

(edited by Taldren.7523)

in Elementalist

rotten.9753

Warhorn rating is most likely so “high” due to Heat Sync, the rest of the skills are bad or extremely bad.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Wolfric.9380

Wolfric.9380

I would love to see shouts unlocked from tempest. That will give me options …. And a reason to use HoT. So i can forget about trying to make tempest useful …

in Elementalist

Posted by: Jski.6180

Jski.6180

That is the WORST way to think about things and makes your point of view lesser. Sword may not be on this spec but it will be for some other down the rode and any amount of complaining is not going to changes this.

Its a tempest becuse of WH and the storm base lore of WH from GW1. The shouts seem to fall in line with the ideal of a tempest even overlodes are tempest like all storm base.

Main : Jski Imaginary ELE (Necromancer)
Guild : OBEY (The Legacy) I call it Obay , TLC (WvW) , UNIV (other)
Server : FA

in Elementalist

Posted by: blubberblasen.3901

blubberblasen.3901

better call it " tempest "
in german its " sturmbote " LOL
okay better than "reaper " = schnitter

in Elementalist

rotten.9753

That is the WORST way to think about things and makes your point of view lesser. Sword may not be on this spec but it will be for some other down the rode and any amount of complaining is not going to changes this.

Its a tempest becuse of WH and the storm base lore of WH from GW1. The shouts seem to fall in line with the ideal of a tempest even overlodes are tempest like all storm base.

Repeating the same thing over and over doesn’t make it true.

We don’t even know if there will be any more specs or how long will it take to get another one. Anet is known for creating “foundations” only to abandon them few months later.

in Elementalist

Argol Vazin.3061

Except if you read this topic. we are questioning why it is even called tempest. it has nothing to do with storms so why would it even have warhorn if there is barely anything storm related to this spec

in Elementalist

Posted by: Azel.4786

Azel.4786

I was wondering this myself. The only “storm” is the Air overload, and even then it is very modest animation-wise.

Everything else literally has no storm effect, heck even Air 4 and Earth 5 are nothing more than light breeze animations….

in Elementalist

Posted by: Mahuyo.3079

Mahuyo.3079

A poll? You think I am a Pollitician? Something can be popular and still wrong. Polls can be rigged or subject to polling bias. I know I never voted in that poll … nor any of my other pvp/wvw teammates that play ele. Warhorn is behind focus and dagger unless you are pve buffing or zerg surfing … then it may be useful as a buff bot tool.

lol, your wrong because of a poll … so many dead philosophers and scientists turning in their grave.

Arrmmm, the masses tend to be right. Reason why u add up the answers, then divide by the pop number gives u the answer. And I think we are called Tempest, mainly because of Stormcaller.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Mattmatt.4962

Mattmatt.4962

better call it " tempest "
in german its " sturmbote " LOL
okay better than "reaper " = schnitter

tempest = cataclyste in french
which could be translated by cataclysm creator

Yet the only cataclysm a tempest can do are churning earth and meteorshower … oh wait!

Tempest seems made careful not to make ele better in any way, since that would be bad

It does the job well :-)

in Elementalist

Posted by: Ghotistyx.6942

Ghotistyx.6942

Tempest is fully themed around creating storms. Both warhorn and shouts invoke that theme.

And Tempest didn’t necessarily scream dps any more than it does aoe, which is exactly what it does. Crazy aoe effects.

Fishsticks

in Elementalist

Azel.4786

Tempest is fully themed around creating storms. Both warhorn and shouts invoke that theme.

And Tempest didn’t necessarily scream dps any more than it does aoe, which is exactly what it does. Crazy aoe effects.

Did we play the same elite specialization?

The only shout that had, remotely, a “Storm creating” animation was Eye of the Storm, and even then it was just a lightning strike that is it.

“Flash freeze” had no storm animation, it could have been a snow storm or something, but nothing.

“Shock and Aftershock” was an “earthquake-esque” animation.

“Feel the burn” and “Wash the Pain Away” had no “Storm callling” animation.

And lol at Rebound having anything close to a storm.

Warhorn had 2 skills that had any animation that would be similar to a Storm, and that was Air 4 and Earth 5. Both, however, looked more like breezes of wind than anything else.

Seriously, this is a matter that there are no “Tempest” style storms in the animations at all. Thus the name does not fit the skills animations in the slightest.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Xillllix.3485

Xillllix.3485

I didn’t find anything crazy about tempest’s aoe effect… It all need to be bigger, faster and stronger.

Fire 5, Water 4 and earth 5 need to be range aoe with ground targeting. The burning of fire 5 should be much more intense. Most of the time I was starring at my screen anxiously trying to get a damage number above 500.

An entire new profession applying exactly all the same conditions and boons we already have on our other weapons is really disappointing.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Malchior.5732

Malchior.5732

I didn’t find anything crazy about tempest’s aoe effect… It all need to be bigger, faster and stronger.

Fire 5, Water 4 and earth 5 need to be range aoe with ground targeting. The burning of fire 5 should be much more intense. Most of the time I was starring at my screen anxiously trying to get a damage number above 500.

An entire new profession applying exactly all the same conditions and boons we already have on our other weapons is really disappointing.

It’s funny how the Chronomancer got a new boon and a new condition to play with, Reaper got Stab, DH got whatever, and the Tempest actually gets LESS conditions(No bleeds on ANY of the new stuff…) and no new boons.
It’s also funny how it “encourages” boon sharing with the Warhorn, but barely gives us any boons to use and the ones you DO get run out while you Overload.

How can a spec have so little synergy with itself?

in Elementalist

Azel.4786

It’s funny how the Chronomancer got a new boon and a new condition to play with, Reaper got Stab, DH got whatever, and the Tempest actually gets LESS conditions(No bleeds on ANY of the new stuff…) and no new boons.
It’s also funny how it “encourages” boon sharing with the Warhorn, but barely gives us any boons to use and the ones you DO get run out while you Overload.

How can a spec have so little synergy with itself?

It’s called pulling a Karl.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Lettuce.2945

Lettuce.2945

That is what I thought when I heard about tempest. Calling the storm. Not quite the same eh?

in Elementalist

Posted by: Kaleban.9834

Kaleban.9834

Calling it the “Tempest” is ANet trolling its database with their precognitive abilities.

They knew the Warhorn and yet another slew of uninspired shouts would cause a kittenstorm on the forums, so pre-empted it by naming it what they did.

MH Sword, Wards as Heal/utility/Elite, named the “Warder” or “Abjurer” would have been ten thousand times better, introduced new mechanics and play style, and actually been interesting and unique, rather than a boonshare build designed to take over from Guardian when they mass migrate to LOLhunters.

I’m thinking of submitting the Ele POI videos to Fail Army.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Pyrotechnic Hell.3209

Pyrotechnic Hell.3209

Theres more of a tempest storm on the forums with people complaining and rightly so.

These storms should be greatly massive violent and overpowered to a degree of using 1 overload for all your Attunements at once. earthquakes, volcanoes, thunder, lightning tornados, hurricains, mealstroms, massive asteroid/meteorite/comet, – knockdowns, stuns, cripple, blind, burning, bleeding, confusion torment.
mass hysteria crying death destruction on a world wide scale for we are the people that are supposed to control the weather the ground we walk on the earths fiery core and the seas and sky’s

Come to think of it when was any natural/elemental disaster limited to 1200

We are Haiti Earthquake (2010) – Cyclone Nargis (2008) – T?hoku Earthquake and Tsunami (2011) – Afghanistan Blizzard (2008) – European Heat Wave (2003) – Pompeii (79 A.D.) And finally Cretaceous–Tertiary event – large-scale mass extinction.

(edited by Pyrotechnic Hell.3209)

in Elementalist

Azel.4786

The more I read this topic the more I think this name deserves a justification. We have nothing “Tempest” like in our animations / skill styles.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Waisenpai.6028

Waisenpai.6028

Tempest = word play! Definition: you got “tempt” now you are “kittened”.

Meh it’s a pve style for non ele’s that don’t know hot to d/f or d/d think of it as a casual pve reboot of skills for dungeons and fracs.

Min Min core d/d ele Borlis Pass Bunny Thumper

in Elementalist

Posted by: Waisenpai.6028

Waisenpai.6028

I typed P****d must be a forum edit.

Min Min core d/d ele Borlis Pass Bunny Thumper

in Elementalist

Posted by: Mattmatt.4962

Mattmatt.4962

Well, since we’re talking about word-play

“T’empestes” in french stand for “you suck”, is it a coincidence ?

Tempest seems made careful not to make ele better in any way, since that would be bad

It does the job well :-)

in Elementalist

Azel.4786

Brilliant.

Guess we found the reason then. This is the only possible explanation.

in Elementalist

Posted by: BunjiKugashira.9754

BunjiKugashira.9754

Well, the specialisation has created a kitten-Tempest on the forums, so

Attachments:

Shana Flamewielder
Sylvari Elementalist of [SFF]
Abaddons Maul

in Elementalist

Avador.8934

LOL

in Elementalist

Argol Vazin.3061

I propose a new name. it is an underwhlming elite spec, it hits like a wet noodle, leaves you with a feeling of regret just for testing it, and only a few individuals seem to get anything out of it.
Spunkgargleweewee

kitten, that’s used for something else

in Elementalist

Posted by: zaneber.6908

zaneber.6908

I want sword! I imagined the Tempest more as
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vyiPFx8wsoU
time 2:50 and 9:15.
A whirling blade of death, with sword powered by your elements. With your elite being a whirlwind slash with 4 swords. earth.air.fire.water all spinning around you.