Why is there no Earth combo field?

in Elementalist

Posted by: Reldnahc.7451

Reldnahc.7451

Honestly this makes no sense to me whatsoever. Earth Elementalists in Guild Wars 1 were extremely AoE based with AoE ground spells and Wards, so why is it that one of the premiere AoE skill lines in Guild Wars 1 is completely ignored in the combo field area?

Is there any chance of one being added in the future, either through a large patch or an expansion perhaps?

What other combo fields are missing/underutilized?

in Elementalist

Posted by: Writetyper.1985

Writetyper.1985

What would it be, a circle of rocks? I really don’t get why you think this is something that matters.

Mortryde/Cold/Thugmentalist Bara
really bad engineer

in Elementalist

Posted by: Jezath.7395

Jezath.7395

we have water and fire fields right? air and earth fields make sense to me, things like whirlwind and earthquake immediatly spring to mind.. I think the combo fields need expanding as well. it doesent take long to fully exhaust the current ones we have.. i think also maybe a small chance of something REALLY spectacular happening in all combo fields would be a nice addition also.

Tis not what they can do for you
Tis only what you can do for all

in Elementalist

Posted by: bookman.9260

bookman.9260

we already have air combo fields, our staff 5 skill is a combo field.

And technically speaking our underwater earth 5 skill is a combo field too, and it inflict blind on projectile finishers, and stealth on blast finishers. It would be interesting to see an earth field on ground too, there could be some awesome DD elementalist tricks you could do with a blast finisher that causes stealth.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Flubble.8093

Flubble.8093

It would be interesting to see an earth field on ground too, there could be some awesome DD elementalist tricks you could do with a blast finisher that causes stealth.

that’s what a smoke field does
http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Smoke_field

(edited by Flubble.8093)

in Elementalist

Posted by: Quick Mouse.7635

Quick Mouse.7635

Earth magic has the combo field FINISHERS. Staff (earth attunement) has 3 finishers on it.

Tactical Fury [TF] – Late NA/early OCX driver (SoS)
Spirit of Faith [HOPE] – RIP

in Elementalist

Posted by: TimeBomb.3427

TimeBomb.3427

Earth magic has the combo field FINISHERS. Staff (earth attunement) has 3 finishers on it.

This. To elaborate, the developers have said that they prefer that a single attunement does not have both combo fields and finishers. This is, as we all know, not always the case, but it is what they prefer. Earth is where they most prefer to give us combo finishers.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Lysico.4906

Lysico.4906

umm OP we have one.. earth 5 underwater

in Elementalist

Posted by: Alilinke.7690

Alilinke.7690

Earth Field + Leap finisher = magnetic aura!
DO IT ANET!

[nA] Professional Guild Hall Decorator

in Elementalist

Posted by: Reldnahc.7451

Reldnahc.7451

Not a combo field in the earth attuenment. I’m talking about an Earth type combo field.

in Elementalist

Posted by: MarzAttakz.9608

MarzAttakz.9608

I’d love an immobilise earth field granting protection with a blast, magnetic aura with leap, cripple with whirl and bleeding with projectile finishers.

YOU KNOW THERE AIN’T NO REST FOR THE WICKED, TILL WE CLOSE OUR EYES FOR GOOD.

Once proud member of Extraordinary Gentlemen [EXG]{DESO4LIFE}

in Elementalist

Posted by: Healix.5819

Healix.5819

Earth is generally portrayed as a physical object. Fields are like liquids, able to coat a physical object, adding more properties to it.

Generally, a earth field wouldn’t make sense, because the field would be a solid and not allow another object to pass through it. To have an earth field, it would have to be dust, which would be the same as the smoke field. Underwater, this is what earth 5 is – dust in the water, creating a smoke field.

They could make the system more complex and do something like water field + earth skill = mud field, which would be a combination combo field, but that’s another story.

in Elementalist

Posted by: bookman.9260

bookman.9260

Earth is generally portrayed as a physical object. Fields are like liquids, able to coat a physical object, adding more properties to it.

Generally, a earth field wouldn’t make sense, because the field would be a solid and not allow another object to pass through it. To have an earth field, it would have to be dust, which would be the same as the smoke field. Underwater, this is what earth 5 is – dust in the water, creating a smoke field.

They could make the system more complex and do something like water field + earth skill = mud field, which would be a combination combo field, but that’s another story.

Our earth 4 skill in staff should be a combo field. Our fire wall in scepter is a combo field for fire, it would be cool to have our earth wall be a combo field too.

I love the idea of magnetic aura as a leap finisher, magnetic aura is such a useful aura, and we need more of them. Although with all of the protection buffs already in the game, and the very nature of the boon I would say it would be too strong to give aoe protection. I think it would be cool to give aoe stability to a team though, and it would be useful in a couple places.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Leo G.4501

Leo G.4501

Then someone explain how a ‘field of earth’ can work with projectiles to create combos. It’s simple to wrap your head around shooting an arrow through a fire field and getting flaming arrows, and although farfetched, you can shoot bullets through water and get magical-water-healing-bullets…

…but how do you throw a weapon through a collection of unsteady rocks (that are * lying along the ground*, mind you) and somehow get ‘rock-like’ effects on the thrown projectile?

Magnetic auras? That’s not an ‘earth’ field, that’s a ‘magnetic’ field. I wouldn’t mind having magnetic fields added but currently no skills elementalist has would qualify except maybe Magnetic Wave…and that kittening skill don’t need no more crap added to it!

in Elementalist

Posted by: Healix.5819

Healix.5819

Then someone explain how a ‘field of earth’ can work with projectiles to create combos.

First, you make a thin rock wall or more specifically, a wall made out of many tiny shards. Shooting through it causes parts of the wall to break off and shatter, spraying rock needles – bleeding – along with the projectiles.

A dust field is another example, but it would do the same thing as a smoke field.

in Elementalist

Posted by: The Primary.6371

The Primary.6371

What would it be, a circle of rocks? I really don’t get why you think this is something that matters.

No, it would be some sort of mud affect or dust cloud.

in Elementalist

Posted by: BioMasterZap.4350

BioMasterZap.4350

I can see an Earth Field happening, but I don’t see big rush for it. I mean, I don’t see how a Lava Font gives Arrows Burning. I doubt the hot air coming off the lava is enough to make the arrows combust and the arrows never touch the lava… So it doesn’t seem that irrational that arrows passing over an Unsteady Ground suddenly have bleeding.
Although I do understand that they don’t want to make Earth Fields since Earth tends to be the “Finisher” attunement.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Gallrvaghn.4921

Gallrvaghn.4921

yea, and we can blast combo to stealth in it. awesome!

“The boss you just killed respawns ten minutes
later. It doesn’t care that I’m there.”