Why nerf ice bow into oblivion?

in Elementalist

Posted by: Voidstar.3620

Voidstar.3620

The ice bow is already never used in pvp (except by me because I try to not just play meta cookie cutter builds).

Why nerf a skill to the point where it will never be used again?

(edited by Voidstar.3620)

in Elementalist

Posted by: Alekt.5803

Alekt.5803

I played my icebow with settler. There is still the bleed to it I suppose, but no way to break a diamond skin now.

Alerie Despins

in Elementalist

Posted by: Neko.9021

Neko.9021

Because the skill had the capacity to do far too much damage against large hit box enemies in PvE. It would have greatly impacted raids, which are being released in beta form next week. It was a good change, and something that should have happened a while ago.

in Elementalist

Posted by: posthumecaver.6473

posthumecaver.6473

in Elementalist

Posted by: Morfedel.4165

Morfedel.4165

in pve, ice bow was severely broken. It was doing damage far outside of what it should have been doing as mentioned by others already. in fact, I was a video a couple weeks ago where the ice bow did something far beyond anything I thought was even possible.

apparently it can also be done with meteor storm, but unlike meteor storm you could hand out ice bows to other people too.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Purple Miku.7032

Purple Miku.7032

because of this

-link removed-

Please stop linking this video. You are poisoning the minds of innocent people.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Voidstar.3620

Voidstar.3620

Wouldn’t a 20% damage nerf accomplish the same goal without making the utility worthless?

in Elementalist

Posted by: Blood Red Arachnid.2493

Blood Red Arachnid.2493

I’m sorry, but Nemesis has a point, and in all of everyone’s rantings and ravings I have yet to see it disproved.

I don’t have opinions. I only have facts I can’t adequately prove.

in Elementalist

Posted by: thrag.9740

thrag.9740

I’m sorry, but Nemesis has a point, and in all of everyone’s rantings and ravings I have yet to see it disproved.

What point are you referring to?

The part where he claimed everyone line casts? Seriously, I’ve done about 500 dungeon runs and 100 fractal runs in the past 6 months. No one line casts. It is way too unreliable.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Xae Isareth.1364

Xae Isareth.1364

Because the skill had the capacity to do far too much damage against large hit box enemies in PvE. It would have greatly impacted raids, which are being released in beta form next week. It was a good change, and something that should have happened a while ago.

I always thought they should have made #4 and Meteor shower AoEs instead of actual projectiles. Sure, that’s less ‘cool’ but then you don’t get huge differences based on target size.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Blood Red Arachnid.2493

Blood Red Arachnid.2493

The part where he claimed everyone line casts? Seriously, I’ve done about 500 dungeon runs and 100 fractal runs in the past 6 months. No one line casts. It is way too unreliable.

He never claimed everyone linecasts. He claimed that the icebow as a whole is artificially inflating the DPS numbers of everyone else in the party.

I don’t have opinions. I only have facts I can’t adequately prove.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Iris Ng.9845

Iris Ng.9845

Because you pug?

“Raids are like fortune cookies. You eat the cookie and then read the paper scraps.”

- doranduck, 2016 on Lore in Raids

in Elementalist

Posted by: Mini Crinny.6190

Mini Crinny.6190

Ice Bow will still be viable and still do some damage, its just that your party will have to do something else rather than pick up the extra ice bow and press #4

Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow

in Elementalist

Posted by: thrag.9740

thrag.9740

He never claimed everyone linecasts. He claimed that the icebow as a whole is artificially inflating the DPS numbers of everyone else in the party.

11:23 in his video. “The icebow with the linecasting exploit is so ridiculously overpowered that it literally single handedly imbalanced the entire game. And there are all these unpleasant side effects. The first side effect, is that it makes the fights so short, that you might be fooled into thinking you do more dps than you actually do”.

27:20 in his video “The entire zerker meta is literally builds that were never designed to function in a complex pve environment, bur rather they were made for the sole purpose of amplifying the use of a broken mechanic, ice bow, while exploiting with line casting”

It sounds to me like he is claiming icebow is pretty much always used with linecasting.

For the record, I also think his proposed solution is better than what anet has done. He proposed a maximum number of hits done to a single target through a single icestorm. This would tone down the damage done to larger targets while leaving the damage done to smaller targets alone. This would have been nice, because icebow is already unreliable against single small targets such as mai trin and arch diviner.

Because you pug?

Completely valid critisism. I pretty much only pug, although I have done runs with organized groups and they never line casted either. Again line casting is very unreliable.

However, my guess is that purple miku mostly does organized runs (when he isn’t solo), and he also seems pretty convinced that line casting is rarely used.

Also, here is a fairly recent video of DnT killing lupi in 11 seconds. Notice no line casting. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O1UoLamBy5k

Here is the most recent record attempt video I could find on the dungeon forums. Final boss starts at 5:50. No line casting used. https://youtu.be/GcZEx8ELb6g?t=5m50s

Here is the first video I found when I searched “casual COE run” in youtube. I went and watched the first subject alpha fight as well as the golumn fight. No line casting that I saw. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GeqX8nez8oc

Now, granted, this isn’t a very large sample size. But most of the evidence I have seen points to line casting being a very rarely used tactic in both pugs and organized groups.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Vova.2640

Vova.2640

since there a lot of talk about line casting here is a little thing about it…. it is super unreliable… if ur target moves at least a little closer to u or away from u, u wont do any dmg to it…

u would think that targets with big hit boxes make it easier to line cast on, but then there is no point to since the bigger target will hit by all the ice shards anyway…

what anet should do is cap the number of hit ice bow does to a single target down to 8 (1/3 of total shards).. because the current change to it simply makes ice bow as useless as all the other conjures.

Look at how effective someone is in a full Soldiers set.
Look at how effective someone is in a full Dire set.
Nice balance.

in Elementalist

Posted by: posthumecaver.6473

posthumecaver.6473

because of this

-link removed-

Please stop linking this video. You are poisoning the minds of innocent people.

You think so.

Who cares…..

Look like developers think like us, music to my ears…

https://youtu.be/K2ZHhJQn0B8?t=69

(edited by posthumecaver.6473)

in Elementalist

Posted by: Dadnir.5038

Dadnir.5038

Because you pug?

You know you can learn a lot of things by puging. Playing with different players have draw back but have also some advantages. You tend to stagnate when playing everyday with the same players.

No core profession should be balanced around an optional elite specialization.