WoodenPotatoes

WoodenPotatoes

in Elementalist

Posted by: Dual.8953

Dual.8953

Anyone seen any of his videos on Ele? He seems to be doing just fine with his. He’s actually found out how to access all the aura on his D/D ele and gets a lot of use out of them with things like Protection Boons. (I heard a lot of other impressive things with his build video.

He also does extensive videos on GW lore, news and guides for dungeons and jumping puzzles.

Registered Altaholic
Part-time Kittenposter

WoodenPotatoes

in Elementalist

Posted by: importune.7120

importune.7120

I’m a major fanboy of his elebuild… I use the same base build (boon heavy), but I prefer to go 30 into arcane and select the ability that causes churning earth or fireball on dodge. Turning the dodge into an offensive ability helps a ton with a build so high in vigor, so close to melee range, and so squishy that you dodge as much as we do.

Absolutely love it! 10-10-10-10-30! D/D!

I’d say my stats are Power/Toughness/Precision/Vitality/Crit % Damage on my gear…I try my best to keep them as balanced as possible.

WoodenPotatoes

in Elementalist

Posted by: Quintal.6594

Quintal.6594

I’ve been trying the aura build (with evasive arcana like Importune as well, I like blast finishing fiery rush), and it’s working great.

Absolutely wrecks PvE, decent in sPvP, and great in the field in WvW. It’s biggest downside is the issue with all ele dagger builds, WvW keeps. Frost bow doesn’t cut it. However I’m in a matchup where we’re dominated (on IoJ vs ET, they own 100%) and in that situation any melee range attack is futile. In a more even match there should be more field fights going on.

Edit: I also fully agree with WP on disliking S/D outside of sPVP, I’ve never understood why I see so many people cooldown burst builds in PvE when sustain matters more.

WoodenPotatoes

in Elementalist

Posted by: Armond.9154

Armond.9154

You know, if you’re going to modify a build, you should tell us more about it than this. We have no clue what major traits, healing skill, utility skills, or elite you use.

WoodenPotatoes

in Elementalist

importune.7120

You know, if you’re going to modify a build, you should tell us more about it than this. We have no clue what major traits, healing skill, utility skills, or elite you use.

Oop, I apologize mate. I used WoodenPotato’s build exactly, all the same skills and gear, but the one difference is that I took out 10 points from fire (the 10 points he used to get 10% increased damage while in fire), and put those 10 points into arcane to give me a total of 30 in arcane. I selected Evasive Arcana as my new arcane trait.
http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Evasive_Arcana

Everything else is the same, though, and the playstyle is the same (minus dodging toward the enemies every 10-15 seconds).

WoodenPotatoes

in Elementalist

Posted by: Papa Khann.5326

Papa Khann.5326

Currently, it appears that Evasive Arcana is actually casting Ring of Earth at the end of a dodge roll. Not Churning Earth. Test it on a target dummy. The dodge roll only applies a single stack of bleed, not the 8 that Churning Earth would apply.

Either the trait is bugged (I know, an Ele trait not functioning properly… I’m sure we’re all SHOCKED.), or the tool tip is incorrect.

Papa

WoodenPotatoes

in Elementalist

Posted by: Dominia.5179

Dominia.5179

I really believe ele’s are not UP, it’s jut misunderstood. There is a lot of exciting experimentation going on out there.

- DT

WoodenPotatoes

in Elementalist

Posted by: Thomly.5792

Thomly.5792

Isn’t he more PvE/WvW instead of sPvP?

(Or can someone link me a better vid than my own google skills can find)

WoodenPotatoes

in Elementalist

Posted by: Spooky Donkey.1540

Spooky Donkey.1540

Looks good. I’m gonna give it a shot tonight. Cheers.

WoodenPotatoes

in Elementalist

Posted by: Quintal.6594

Quintal.6594

Isn’t he more PvE/WvW instead of sPvP?

(Or can someone link me a better vid than my own google skills can find)

You are correct, he even says in this video that he hasn’t done much sPvP and will comment on that later.

However I will note that the build (with some changes to add cond removal) works decently in sPvP

WoodenPotatoes

in Elementalist

Posted by: Giamonti.4186

Giamonti.4186

You shouldn’t really copy someone’s build who hasn’t done alot of spvp >.> Anyway his build has some “cool” traits, but “cool” and “effective” are 2 different ballparks. He’s lacking alot of crit % and power that he could have from investing into air or fire instead of into evasive arcana. IMO evasive arcana is only useful for bunker/support specs, the earth/fire dodge does very low damage, while the aoe blind from air and cleansing wave from water do really well in support/bunker builds.

WoodenPotatoes

in Elementalist

Posted by: Arc.9374

Arc.9374

Currently, it appears that Evasive Arcana is actually casting Ring of Earth at the end of a dodge roll. Not Churning Earth. Test it on a target dummy. The dodge roll only applies a single stack of bleed, not the 8 that Churning Earth would apply.

Either the trait is bugged (I know, an Ele trait not functioning properly… I’m sure we’re all SHOCKED.), or the tool tip is incorrect.

Papa

It’s casting Shockwave at the end of an Earth dodge (easily confirmed by the combat log). Hilariously, said Shockwave doesn’t even apply the immobilize, which would at least make it somewhat useful, even in it’s broken state.

Similarly, I did some testing and discovered that it’s also failing to apply the ‘Blind’ portion of Blinding Flash when you Air dodge (unless for some reason the target golems in the mists are immune to it, due to their inability to attack).

In short, it’s pretty much not worth the trait slot right now.

Potaters!

WoodenPotatoes

in Elementalist

importune.7120

You shouldn’t really copy someone’s build who hasn’t done alot of spvp >.> Anyway his build has some “cool” traits, but “cool” and “effective” are 2 different ballparks. He’s lacking alot of crit % and power that he could have from investing into air or fire instead of into evasive arcana. IMO evasive arcana is only useful for bunker/support specs, the earth/fire dodge does very low damage, while the aoe blind from air and cleansing wave from water do really well in support/bunker builds.

He doesn’t use evasive arcana, I do.

WoodenPotatoes

in Elementalist

Posted by: Papa Khann.5326

Papa Khann.5326

@Arc

Thanks for the clarification, Arc.

In its current state, it does appear to be pretty lackluster, especially for a GrandMaster trait.

Papa

WoodenPotatoes

in Elementalist

Posted by: Vond.2510

Vond.2510

While I agree with what you say if the build was actually for sPvP, in this case it isn’t. It’s mostly a solo-PvE build but it also works fine for roaming in WvW. Nowhere in the OP does it say he was referring to this as a sPvP build, but I suppose it’s a quite understandable misunderstanding since for some reason most posts are about sPvP.