WvW 5 man tempest gameplay and thoughts

in Elementalist

Posted by: Marseee.2938

Marseee.2938

The tempest was good at mighting up and sharing armour of earth (although incredibly long cooldown) It manages to keep a decent 20+ might on your group for the majority of the time. Who else played with the tempest in WvW and what were your thoughts?

Warhorn air 5 seemed useless to me, just doesn’t do any damage or have any utility/CC you would expect from a 5th weapon skill. I liked all the other warhorn skills though.

Rebound didn’t work with any utility skills, is this a bug?

in Elementalist

Posted by: Xillllix.3485

Xillllix.3485

Nice try I guess, but you could only get downs by target-focusing them 3-5v1.

It’s about 7 times less damage output than what we can do with staff… Less field control, less mobility… I don’t see myself ever using it in its current state sadly.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Raif.9507

Raif.9507

The front line spec that is never in the front line.

Also, you’re might didn’t last as long as you thought. You had around 10 stacks most of the time unless you purposely stacked might. I didn’t see anything here that couldn’t be done with standard D/D or with staff since you were so much in the back. On top of that, condi clearing seemed so lacking =(

Asharìa March – 80 Elementalist
Co-Guild Leader of Prime Defense on Sanctum of Rall – www.Primedefense.net

in Elementalist

Posted by: Jski.6180

Jski.6180

It’s about 7 times less damage output than what we can do with staff… Less field control, less mobility… I don’t see myself ever using it in its current state sadly.

So run staff tempest?
Tempest is support not dmg if you wanted to do dmg you stay ele if tempest could do dmg and support then there would be no point to have ele.

Main : Jski Imaginary ELE (Necromancer)
Guild : OBEY (The Legacy) I call it Obay , TLC (WvW) , UNIV (other)
Server : FA

in Elementalist

Xillllix.3485

So run staff tempest?
Tempest is support not dmg if you wanted to do dmg you stay ele if tempest could do dmg and support then there would be no point to have ele.

It just doesn’t work. The last thing we need is bad melee support that can be replaced by a guardian who will do better in every scenario. Staff is the perfect melee support anyway: Large water field for them to blast, it’s all they need. The only thing new about warhorn is the boon sharing.
Do you really think that dropping a 50k meteor shower on top of a waterfield will help the melee train less than giving them a few seconds of boons?

The problem with tempest is that it doesn’t make anything better. It “works” in theory, but in practice it works less well than all the other options. Aura sharing isn’t something hard to do even without tempest.

in Elementalist

Jski.6180

So run staff tempest?

It just doesn’t work. The last thing we need is bad melee support that can be replaced by a guardian who will do better in every scenario. Staff is the perfect melee support anyway: Large water field for them to blast, it’s all they need. The only thing new about warhorn is the boon sharing.
Do you really think that dropping a 50k meteor shower on top of a waterfield will help the melee train less than giving them a few seconds of boons?

The problem with tempest is that it doesn’t make anything better. It “works” in theory, but in practice it works less well than all the other options. Aura sharing isn’t something hard to do even without tempest.

Then run gurd the ideal is not to run best in use class the ideal is to give ele players a chose to play the ele class different. In a lot of ways d/d never been a full melee class and you would see the same effect from the d/wh set up.

Listen to your self you want an mages class who can effectively live forever in melee do crazy dmg and have super support you want something strong then the ele class you want power creep.

Tempest is the support specialization for ele its not made to do dmg if this is not what you want get over it and wait for the next one.

in Elementalist

Xillllix.3485

So run staff tempest?

Listen to your self you want an mages class who can effectively live forever in melee do crazy dmg and have super support you want something strong then the ele class you want power creep.

What I don’t see is why we can’t expect an elite profession as good as what other classes are getting. I just want something worth using, I don’t care what it is.

Right now overloads are not worth using, shouts are kinda ok but they will not keep you alive in a melee range or replace cantrips for mobility and stability, warhorn will not do something better than focus or dagger offhand beside boon sharing, there is a huge damage loss from tempest traits and from the warhorn, the new elite is not working. We do not even have the stability to go melee range.

Reaper got a melee weapon but also 10 second of stability from the elite.

(edited by Xillllix.3485)

in Elementalist

Posted by: Aeolus.3615

Aeolus.3615

So run staff tempest?

What I don’t see is why we can’t expect an elite profession as good as what other classes are getting. I just want something worth using, I don’t care what it is.

Right now overloads are not worth using, shouts are kinda ok but they will not keep you alive in a melee range or replace cantrips for mobility and stability, warhorn will not do something better than focus or dagger offhand beside boon sharing, there is a huge damage loss from tempest traits, and from the warhorn, the new elite is not working. We do not even have the stability to go melee range.

I guess gw2 players like it easy and cheese, if aint OP it isnt balanced….

Allow me to joke a little bit more…..
tempest = expected to be a stonger DD ele with frontline bunkering, more survivibility than a dd already has.
Dragon hunters = expected to be zerker ranger on steroids w/o the use of zerker.
Chronomancer = expected to be stronger than PU.
Ravenant = defensive skills and roles dont work becouse game not prepared for that, and shiro expected to worth 2thiefs with backstabs on AA.
Reaper = probably class designed to handle better on outnumbered fight , but due power creep gameplay, class dies as fast as any other class that gets bursted in 2-3 seconds when spiked.

1st April joke, when gw2 receives a “balance” update.

(edited by Aeolus.3615)

in Elementalist

Xillllix.3485

So run staff tempest?

Right now overloads are not worth using, shouts are kinda ok but they will not keep you alive in a melee range or replace cantrips for mobility and stability, warhorn will not do something better than focus or dagger offhand beside boon sharing, there is a huge damage loss from tempest traits, and from the warhorn, the new elite is not working. We do not even have the stability to go melee range.

Are you just trolling me? It has nothing to do with op it has to do with the fact we are paying for an expansion and the elite profession adds almost nothing beneficial to the class. I do not mind support roles at all if they are interesting. Balance comes later.

in Elementalist

Jski.6180

So run staff tempest?

Right now overloads are not worth using, shouts are kinda ok but they will not keep you alive in a melee range or replace cantrips for mobility and stability, warhorn will not do something better than focus or dagger offhand beside boon sharing, there is a huge damage loss from tempest traits and from the warhorn, the new elite is not working. We do not even have the stability to go melee range.

Reaper F1-f5 abitly comply changes from the necro’s version its only tempest and chronmanser whos f1-f5 seems not to changes but only get add ons. Think of it on these lines you only lose a line when you want to go tempest when you go reaper you lose a line and necro f1-f5 skills. The more you give up the more you gain then less you give up the less you can get with out moving into power-creep.

So if you gave tempest more stab something your asking for when you went from ele to a tempest you now get 4 more skills and more stab all for the lost of one line.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Malchior.5732

Malchior.5732

So run staff tempest?

Apparently if it isn’t useless, it isn’t balanced?
No one’s asking for something OP. Most people just wanted a different role and playstyle. What we got is the same thing we already do, but worse.
A DPS spec ala Thief/Mesmer would have been a great choice with an appropiate mechanic that encourages high risk and high reward instead of the current Overloads which are high risk and very low reward.

in Elementalist

Marseee.2938

Also, you’re might didn’t last as long as you thought. You had around 10 stacks most of the time unless you purposely stacked might. I didn’t see anything here that couldn’t be done with standard D/D or with staff since you were so much in the back. On top of that, condi clearing seemed so lacking =(

I agree after watching it again the might doesn’t last long. It takes 6 seconds to receive 11 might which only lasts for 12 seconds and you have to stand still to receive it.

In the current form I would rather use d/d over tempest. This was one of my first fights testing it out which is why I was hanging back a bit and my condi cleansing was off. Our group only runs 3-8 usually so I wasn’t interested in the zerging capabilities, which I don’t think it will have any place in (guards better at it).

in Elementalist

Jski.6180

I agree after watching it again the might doesn’t last long. It takes 6 seconds to receive 11 might which only lasts for 12 seconds and you have to stand still to receive it.

In the current form I would rather use d/d over tempest. This was one of my first fights testing it out which is why I was hanging back a bit and my condi cleansing was off. Our group only runs 3-8 usually so I wasn’t interested in the zerging capabilities, which I don’t think it will have any place in (guards better at it).

Then run d/d tempest and get the best of both worlds just lose out on one dmg line.

in Elementalist

Raif.9507

Then run d/d tempest and get the best of both worlds just lose out on one dmg line.

It’s almost if you’re not understanding or purposefully misunderstanding – there is no gain from running Tempest. The trade off for losing that one damage line to take Tempest is out of whack you lose more than you gain.

The only thing that allows you to heal more in Tempest is from 2 sources – Auras heal and the new heal. That is it. The Overload does less healing than the standard water/Arcane rotations. In return you lose way too much.

No one is arguing the Tempest is meant to be support oriented, it just needs to be BUFFED to make it worth taking. It needs to give you enough support to justify the loss in damage. The best way to do that is to make the overloads viable. Once you fix that and change some cooldowns on the shouts Tempest will be a great choice as a viable support option.

in Elementalist

Jski.6180

It’s almost if you’re not understanding or purposefully misunderstanding – there is no gain from running Tempest. The trade off for losing that one damage line to take Tempest is out of whack you lose more than you gain.

The only thing that allows you to heal more in Tempest is from 2 sources – Auras heal and the new heal. That is it. The Overload does less healing than the standard water/Arcane rotations. In return you lose way too much.

No one is arguing the Tempest is meant to be support oriented, it just needs to be BUFFED to make it worth taking. It needs to give you enough support to justify the loss in damage. The best way to do that is to make the overloads viable. Once you fix that and change some cooldowns on the shouts Tempest will be a great choice as a viable support option.

And your argument that healing support is a thing in GW2? Boon support is the main type of support in GW2 not healing there a reason why tempest cant heal as if its a stander mmorpgs healing support becuse it simply dose not fit the game. If your aim was to support as an ele losing a line to get 4 more ability though overloading and the abitly to get a wepon whoms main use is support and to get a set of skill that are nearly pure support it is worth it. If your a DMG or mid of the rode ele then going tempest is not the best chose for you becuse its a SUPPORT specialization at the lost of most of the time dmg.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Mightybird.6034

Mightybird.6034

And your argument that healing support is a thing in GW2? Boon support is the main type of support in GW2 not healing there a reason why tempest cant heal as if its a stander mmorpgs healing support becuse it simply dose not fit the game. If your aim was to support as an ele losing a line to get 4 more ability though overloading and the abitly to get a wepon whoms main use is support and to get a set of skill that are nearly pure support it is worth it. If your a DMG or mid of the rode ele then going tempest is not the best chose for you becuse its a SUPPORT specialization at the lost of most of the time dmg.

Sorry to butt in on the convo – I’m fine with support but where’s the front line nature? Not seeing any (or nearly any) tools to make it such. You need a lot of blocks/invulns/aegis/leaps/stab/etc. to be frontline material. Not seeing much of any of that on tempest…

in Elementalist

Marseee.2938

Exactly. If I play d/d I will take air for fresh air and reduced air cooldowns. Tempest traits are useless, the warhorn is the best bit. The shout heal is nice in group situations, 7.5k+ heal for 5 players. I liked the frost aura shout and elite but the rest didn’t seem useful/too long cooldown.

Overloads just don’t give a big enough benefit for the time it takes to overload. The heal would need to heal for 10k+ instead of the current 5k heal (4×500 heal ticks + 3k final heal).

in Elementalist

Posted by: Aeolus.3615

Aeolus.3615

So run staff tempest?

Are you just trolling me? It has nothing to do with op it has to do with the fact we are paying for an expansion and the elite profession adds almost nothing beneficial to the class. I do not mind support roles at all if they are interesting. Balance comes later.

My intention wasnt at all to troll, my bad if u tough that… but to joke from what players were expecting, and i totally agree with you, for the streams i watched i didnt like much of the mechanics as they dont feel elite, the only way to make then work was to be mostly dedicated to output damage, but that is becouse game makes not worth to take any other stats besides the one that improve the output damage.
I was joking about what isnt op isnt balanced beocuse that is really what matters in this game, if doesnt kill fast does not worth to take it (player mentality ), and players feel underwhelmed against easy burst builds becouse they expect to do the same or even faster becouse it is called a elite trait line, imo some builds are to much they should be toned down to the level of the elite specs in some classes, i dont know how anet is doing balance iterarion but feels a really weird one.

@Malchior.5732 i really was expecting overlord to be something cool, turn out it is just another condi skill…. dependable from warrior stamina alike mechanic.

1st April joke, when gw2 receives a “balance” update.

(edited by Aeolus.3615)

in Elementalist

Jski.6180

Sorry to butt in on the convo – I’m fine with support but where’s the front line nature? Not seeing any (or nearly any) tools to make it such. You need a lot of blocks/invulns/aegis/leaps/stab/etc. to be frontline material. Not seeing much of any of that on tempest…

Front line nature seems to be the caster is the center of the effect so like gurd empower its not really a ranged spell so its more of a melee spell. So tempest melee support is that most of its “tempest only” ability are center on the tempest it self meaning they need to be near or on-top of the melee to get full benefit. So ideal this is with things like the tempest shouts boon shair and wh braking stun effect even the overloeds need to be near your team some what to get some effect from them for your team.

So for ele or tempest being in “melee” ranges is a bit different then a war or gurd being in melee ranges most of the ability are on 300 ish or longer ranges letting the ele/tempest sit back a bit and have effects that other classes like war who needs to be more at 150 ranges to land the effects. Tempest dose have the abitly to sit at 300 ranges to and hit ppl with effects with out needing to be full dive in even d/d stander ele should never comply dive into a ball of players ele still a mages at the end of the day lol.

(edited by Jski.6180)

in Elementalist

Raif.9507

You really need to work on getting your point across as whatever you said here is barely understandable.

Even by your argument that boons is the support, you are not offering any more boon access that you can’t give through normal rotations as the standard arcana/water with blasting.

Boon share on fire 4? Sure, it’s nice in theory. Still not enough to slot it over a damage line. You already have near perma protection and if you’re playing frontline (as the spec is touted as) you will already give this to your frontline through swapping into and out of earth on cooldown. Regen? same as protection. Might? See my first comment, the might doesn’t last any longer than just normal blasting through firefields (which you should already be doing as a frontline spec) and you already are at cap. Tempest requires you to stand still to get it as well.

IF the boon extension on Earth 4 was more than the measly 2 seconds it is and had a blast finisher attached, it’s already starting to look up and be better.

Tempest – as it stands at this time – offers no more support than your normal builds. If it is meant to be strictly support it needs to excel at it. That is why it isn’t OK to just say “oh it’s ok to lose the damage line because you want to be support”. If I can support as well as the “support” line without the support line and bring damage, we have a problem.

And support is more than just boons, it’s blocks (aegis) or blinds, reflects and better boon extension than it currently offers. The idea of a support spec is there, Tempest is almost there, but needs fixing to make it that choice for support.

in Elementalist

Jski.6180

You really need to work on getting your point across as whatever you said here is barely understandable.

Even by your argument that boons is the support, you are not offering any more boon access that you can’t give through normal rotations as the standard arcana/water with blasting.

Boon share on fire 4? Sure, it’s nice in theory. Still not enough to slot it over a damage line. You already have near perma protection and if you’re playing frontline (as the spec is touted as) you will already give this to your frontline through swapping into and out of earth on cooldown. Regen? same as protection. Might? See my first comment, the might doesn’t last any longer than just normal blasting through firefields (which you should already be doing as a frontline spec) and you already are at cap. Tempest requires you to stand still to get it as well.

IF the boon extension on Earth 4 was more than the measly 2 seconds it is and had a blast finisher attached, it’s already starting to look up and be better.

Tempest – as it stands at this time – offers no more support than your normal builds. If it is meant to be strictly support it needs to excel at it. That is why it isn’t OK to just say “oh it’s ok to lose the damage line because you want to be support”. If I can support as well as the “support” line without the support line and bring damage, we have a problem.

And support is more than just boons, it’s blocks (aegis) or blinds, reflects and better boon extension than it currently offers. The idea of a support spec is there, Tempest is almost there, but needs fixing to make it that choice for support.

For a class like ele boon sharing is a big effect becuse it pushes over the near perma into comply perma boon effect. It also lets ele play off of other classes boons that ele or tempest cant use.

D/d ele even d/f ele are not good support classes they tend to be just ok if not bad. Staff ele is about as close as you can get for a full on support roll but its mostly field support not boon support. The thing is tempest dose not lose any of this support effect from the base ele class it only adds in more chose to how to support.

in Elementalist

Mightybird.6034

Front line nature seems to be the caster is the center of the effect so like gurd empower its not really a ranged spell so its more of a melee spell. So tempest melee support is that most of its “tempest only” ability are center on the tempest it self meaning they need to be near or on-top of the melee to get full benefit. So ideal this is with things like the tempest shouts boon shair and wh braking stun effect even the overloeds need to be near your team some what to get some effect from them for your team.

So for ele or tempest being in “melee” ranges is a bit different then a war or gurd being in melee ranges most of the ability are on 300 ish or longer ranges letting the ele/tempest sit back a bit and have effects that other classes like war who needs to be more at 150 ranges to land the effects. Tempest dose have the abitly to sit at 300 ranges to and hit ppl with effects with out needing to be full dive in even d/d stander ele should never comply dive into a ball of players ele still a mages at the end of the day lol.

That was hard to read. Um so yeah, we both agree they are supposed to be front line?

Front line is front line, youre splitting hairs here. D/D isn’t front line either (or I should say can’t be played that way). Did you see the video? He had to play far back quite a bit. Not at all front line. I don’t know why you are defending it so much.

in Elementalist

Jski.6180

That was hard to read. Um so yeah, we both agree they are supposed to be front line?

Front line is front line, youre splitting hairs here. D/D isn’t front line either (or I should say can’t be played that way). Did you see the video? He had to play far back quite a bit. Not at all front line. I don’t know why you are defending it so much.

Front line is different for ele as it is different for each class. If your skill is at 300 ranges then you do not need to be at 100 to land it and you get no benefit for being in that close. Its not realty hair splitting its more about being skilled at your class vs faces rolling. When it comes to big fights less skilled ele rush into the main group and proply burn there outs and often die just after. Even d/d ele should not comply dive in to the ball being able to stay just a bit out side of the melee ranges of war classes lets d/d ele have play in big fights and why the class is so powerfully.

I look at tempest the same way its skills are on much longer range then say war melee attk so it can stay well outside of this yet it still very able to land melee support and its own melee attks.

in Elementalist

Mightybird.6034

No front line is front. Mid is mid. Back is back. Has nothing to do with class. They are terms used to describe where you should be in a big fight.

So when a dev says front line I imagine front line and expect such. I don’t come up with some hybrid mid liner that supports the front.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Kodiak.3281

Kodiak.3281

Jski if your argument is that Elementalist shouldn’t be on the front line diving in with the ball because fundamentally it’s a mage how is it supposed to be in range to share boons with nearby front line allies who are there?

Also I have to really question how much front line experience you are speaking from. In WvW front line for example you do not have a choice between 100 or 300. It isn’t some controlled PvE environment where you can conveniently stand off with each other with you a few steps behind the rest of the melee ball. In fact if you aren’t on top of the front line in a group you’ll more than likely take the brunt of everyone’s damage rather than split amongst other nearby allies due to the 5 target cap.

Again…the whole thing doesn’t make sense. Either they need to give us the tools to survive and have a place on the front line or lets stop pretending that they gave us anything new.

Kodiak X – Blackgate

in Elementalist

Posted by: moriz.5473

moriz.5473

for those of you debating whether the tempest is frontline or not:

keep in mind, our group setup doesn’t distinguish frontline/midline/backline. we’re a roaming group and fields small number of players, and as such, our combat roles can switch rapidly depending on what’s happening. as such, debating whether the tempest is a frontline class based on Marsee’s video footage is missing the mark.

what i CAN say, is that tempest can very well serve quite well as a frontliner in a zerg group. we might have to build the character more tanky for it to work (Marsee was running celestial in this vid), but the character itself has some good tools for use as a frontliner.

in Elementalist

Malchior.5732

@Malchior.5732 i really was expecting overlord to be something cool, turn out it is just another condi skill…. dependable from warrior stamina alike mechanic.

It’s not even a condi skill. It applies Burning at melee range. That’s it.
No new Bleed applications at ALL and no new conditions.

in Elementalist

Jski.6180

Jski if your argument is that Elementalist shouldn’t be on the front line diving in with the ball because fundamentally it’s a mage how is it supposed to be in range to share boons with nearby front line allies who are there?

Also I have to really question how much front line experience you are speaking from. In WvW front line for example you do not have a choice between 100 or 300. It isn’t some controlled PvE environment where you can conveniently stand off with each other with you a few steps behind the rest of the melee ball. In fact if you aren’t on top of the front line in a group you’ll more than likely take the brunt of everyone’s damage rather than split amongst other nearby allies due to the 5 target cap.

Again…the whole thing doesn’t make sense. Either they need to give us the tools to survive and have a place on the front line or lets stop pretending that they gave us anything new.

Eles do have the tools to last in melee or near melee combat there abitly to keep self healing that how d/d has been used for a long time in this way. Your still in ranges for most of tempest boon effects even if your at 600 ranges what most ppl call mid ranges (where ele needs to be 240 or 300 to land there main boons).

in Elementalist

Malchior.5732

Eles do have the tools to last in melee or near melee combat there abitly to keep self healing that how d/d has been used for a long time in this way. Your still in ranges for most of tempest boon effects even if your at 600 ranges what most ppl call mid ranges (where ele needs to be 240 or 300 to land there main boons).

To survive in melee range, you CANNOT be Overloading. It’s just not currently possible.