WvW Staff ele? Is that a thing?

in Elementalist

Posted by: Ninjikun.2078

Ninjikun.2078

Hey! So im coming from a mesmer main since launch of the game and now im getting really hard into Staff ele in Pve/p and WvWvW. I need help for a little bit. I have a full zerk staff ele right now running 6/2/2/2/2 dps. Is that good? Should I switch?

Luna Cendre ~ Chronotank/DPS Mesmer

in Elementalist

Posted by: Jski.6180

Jski.6180

You may get more out of 0 6 0 4 4 as an staff ele with frost bow. The trick is to do your bomb fire 5 or frost bow 4 then swap into water for the +20% dmg vs targets that have vulnerability. Due to having at least 5 in air you have a 60% chase on crit to apply vulnerability with no icd so it works with aoe. You could go more on the lines of 5 5 0 2 2 if you want to realty go all in on dmg for the +10% vs burning targets.

Main : Jski Imaginary ELE (Necromancer)
Guild : OBEY (The Legacy) I call it Obay , TLC (WvW) , UNIV (other)
Server : FA

in Elementalist

Posted by: Jerus.4350

Jerus.4350

Staff is great for PVE, highest damage potential. It’s also great in WvW. Lots of variations of builds to play with, in WvW going into water and getting some of the stuff there can be very helpful, cleansing more conditions and what not, generally going a bit more defensive and supportive. PVE you’re going full damage.

Generally I run with 4 in Air and get the extra Ferocity on Arcane use. Getting the 2 10% buffs in water/earth isn’t bad I don’t think but I like the extra crit chance that comes with more in Air.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Jerus.4350

Jerus.4350

You may get more out of 0 6 0 4 4 as an staff ele with frost bow. The trick is to do your bomb fire 5 or frost bow 4 then swap into water for the +20% dmg vs targets that have vulnerability. Due to having at least 5 in air you have a 60% chase on crit to apply vulnerability with no icd so it works with aoe. You could go more on the lines of 5 5 0 2 2 if you want to realty go all in on dmg for the +10% vs burning targets.

Don’t you lose out on the longer lasting Lava Font without the 6 in Fire? As well as losing the 10% in Fire and faster recharge.

I could see stacking up the modifiers with like Tempest defense + 20% in Water and all that stuff, but seems more a niche build than something to run regularly, surely would be powerful in something like AC where things don’t last much longer (if at all) than an Ice Bow 4.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Hamster.4861

Hamster.4861

The meta for ele is 0/2/0/6/6 zerker/cele hybrid ele in WvW, You can spec into damage with your gear, and still support your allies.

Eles are the heart of sustain in WvW combat, so it’s important that you spec into water for cleansing water. You will still deal damage – as your power can sit around 22-2300, more with food. Most eles like to get Evasive Arcana (blast finisher on earth dodge-roll), but it’s not crucial for your allies the way the water tree is. The Water tree will also help you sustain more – which is what you should focus on as an ele.

check out this video!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zz9iqSywHjI

in Elementalist

Posted by: the krytan assassin.9235

the krytan assassin.9235

Staff ele in zergs is definitely worth it. high damage potential and a very impressive amount of control and buff fields. For build i’d advice to focus on an offensive gear combination with defensive traits, so 02066 with for example zerker gear. The traits provide more surviveability then defensive stats can offer. when going 62222 you’ll often end up being a rallybot and not able to deal much damage since the retaliation will tear you apart and you lack healing to get your health back up.
I’d say the way to go is 02066 def armor→ 02066 offensive armor→62006 offensive armor→66002 offensive armor. in most cases i’d say that going 02066+offensive armor will give you the best output of damage and surviveability. just try that one out and you can always swap traits when you feel you’re ready for it.

DDD|elementalist| Piken commander|RaW|

in Elementalist

Posted by: Shanks.2907

Shanks.2907

You may get more out of 0 6 0 4 4 as an staff ele with frost bow. The trick is to do your bomb fire 5 or frost bow 4 then swap into water for the +20% dmg vs targets that have vulnerability.

Wouldn’t it work best to cast Meteor Shower and while channeling it swap to water attunement, then drop ice bow and Ice Storm?

in Elementalist

the krytan assassin.9235

You may get more out of 0 6 0 4 4 as an staff ele with frost bow. The trick is to do your bomb fire 5 or frost bow 4 then swap into water for the +20% dmg vs targets that have vulnerability.

Wouldn’t it work best to cast Meteor Shower and while channeling it swap to water attunement, then drop ice bow and Ice Storm?

Ok so the plan is to get 50-75% retal dmge from MS, then move on to water to further boost your damage then start using your icebow and find out that you’re unable to finish your spell because you’re either already ganked or you’re getting downed by retal while still channeling the icebow? ;p

in Elementalist

Posted by: Ninjikun.2078

Ninjikun.2078

The meta for ele is 0/2/0/6/6 zerker/cele hybrid ele in WvW, You can spec into damage with your gear, and still support your allies.

Eles are the heart of sustain in WvW combat, so it’s important that you spec into water for cleansing water. You will still deal damage – as your power can sit around 22-2300, more with food. Most eles like to get Evasive Arcana (blast finisher on earth dodge-roll), but it’s not crucial for your allies the way the water tree is. The Water tree will also help you sustain more – which is what you should focus on as an ele.

check out this video!

I was just curious on the mix you meant, I have the means for getting cele gear and what not, but did you mean Zerk armor and Cele trink or vise versa? I really would LOVE to try Cele ele honestly but I dont know what to mix it with for best damage/support.

Luna Cendre ~ Chronotank/DPS Mesmer

in Elementalist

Posted by: Gorefiend.9675

Gorefiend.9675

Staff Ele in WvW is fantastic fun. I very much enjoy my 0/5/0/5/4 damage spec. For the love of god please do not go 6 into arcane for evasive arcane as staff, complete waste of a trait.

D/D, Staff Elementalist

in Elementalist

Posted by: witcher.3197

witcher.3197

Staff is good for every area of the game, but not with the same traits/stats. Having a zerker staff ele on your team in Pvp is like fighting a 4v5. With celestial however it’s pretty decent. If you want to see some working options for staff for every gamemode this might help.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Star.8401

Star.8401

TbH I put out more DpS and might stacks with D/F in PvE. I never use the staff because it is less exciting, and less blast finishers for me to work with. Also less damage when compared to a D/F combination. S/D is also a good combo.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Grim Jr.8946

Grim Jr.8946

Check this, it’s not really a build but i think this is how you want to play this goes 6 in fire

in Elementalist

the krytan assassin.9235

pfff don’t try to surprise him with a dead animal :p

Ele had alot of nerfs since that vid, apart from the fact that more players are running a more tanky build nowadays. You’re not gonna be able to deal that much dmge in normal occasions. For the build i’d say it depends on your server and your oponents. How big is the zerg, do they need you to have always waterfield when needed, is the commander able to defend the backline, hows the aoe/ganksquad of your enemy servers :P
since i guess you want to run kinda zerk (by looking at your build) i’d advice either 62006 or 62042. When investing points in water plz don’t use it for vital striking and piercing shards.(piercing shards forces you to use water and therefore you won’t be able to cast waterfields when needed, vital striking barely has effect due to insta sub 90% because of retaliation). Incase you want to run more tanky, feel free to keep your zerker gear on, just swap to 02066 and you’ll still hit like a truck

in Elementalist

Posted by: Krustydog.3072

Krustydog.3072

I run 44600. I love the aoe of air when blobs collide. I use half celes half knights gear w/superior air runes. Its just my opinion but no way would I ever be without my 6 in earth because I HATE dying fast and after so many years of gaming I just can’t bring myself to be a weasel and stand on the outskirts of a battle cherry picking.

SoR FTW

in Elementalist

Posted by: Kodiak.3281

Kodiak.3281

Pretty much have always ran 06044 with pvt armor+strength runes and zerker everything else. Keep a set of Knight/Celestial jewelry if I need more defense. If I didn’t S/D as much I’d probably do Pack runes instead.

I love this spec cause when WvWing I can go staff control with Lightning Rod turns many non staff attacks into attacks. The Water traits make Water attunement into a huge defensive cool down on a 10s timer (regen boon, soothing mist regen, heal, condi removal). Arcane has some handy stuff in it for vigor, boons or staff area.

As mentioned it also nicely transforms into S/D for a Fresh Air build. I use it for SPvP and do great for unranked and solo PvE when staff is inappropriate. Just gotta swap out 3 traits and boom done.

Utility wise I tend to run some combination of Lightning Flash, Cleansing Fire, Armor of Earth, Arcane Wave and Conjure Frost Bow. All have their time and place in WvW depending on what yer doing.

Support build also out there, but that’s well documented.

Kodiak X – Blackgate

in Elementalist

Posted by: Hamster.4861

Hamster.4861

check out this video!

I was just curious on the mix you meant, I have the means for getting cele gear and what not, but did you mean Zerk armor and Cele trink or vise versa? I really would LOVE to try Cele ele honestly but I dont know what to mix it with for best damage/support.

The OP contacted me in game, which is why I never responded here – but:

I mean that you should run as glassy as you can. Find the point at which you are unable to survive, and substitute a zerker piece for a celestial one, and try again. (It takes a while to make all the celestial anyway) Eventually you will find a “just right” where you have enough of the sustain and defensive stats to stay alive, while maintaining your ability to nuke the living crap out of people. I personally run celestial pants and chest – zerker everything else, trinkets and weapons.

As far as traits are concerned, almost any of the builds recommended in this post will work. Lightning Rod (6 in air) is HILARIOUS against groups of 40 or more. My guildies and I go balls to the wall (less than 20 vs 35+), so I have come to rely on the 6 in Arcana for my sustain (dodge roll blind, heal and blast finisher, Elemental Attunement, the swap cooldown) The Water tree (Cantrip CD reduction, Aquamancer Alacrity [more fields] or Soothing Distruption[boonspam / condi clear], Cleansing Water) is a huge part of the condition clear for the whole zerg, since the waters can be placed from 1200 range.

that said, I think that if you’re going to deviate from the traditional bunker trait (0/x/x/6/6) you should take the points out of Arcana, which will endanger your personal survival, without compromising your group utility.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Rangerdeity.5847

Rangerdeity.5847

A.) glyph of storms lighting works really well with your build and its a similar build to what i run in dungeons.

B.) in WvW is more beneficial to take the 10% bonus in fire as opposed to the 20% on vulnerability due to the sheer inability to control who actually gets hit by your vulnerability and your meteors at the same time. in addition to the massive condi cleansing we see do to guardians being walking light fields.

C.) 10% vs burning targets is more of a d/d trait staff really only burns on staff 3 and thats more of a filler skill than anything since your auto attack hits like a truck in fire attune with a zerker build.

D.) go full 6 in air with lighting rod makes static field a giant bug zapper that crushes anyone without stability. makes gust a damage skill if shot thru the heart of a zerg. and makes unsteady ground something to fear. thus always full 6 in air.

E.) http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fFUQFAWlMMowhVPwpB0zNABgFOAEBGAiLBjghYp3AA-T1BGABBcBBIS5HI7PInOCAeQAPq+zUKBDAcA87vB++bO/8zP/8z73f/93f/tUAjtMC-w
give it a shot hits like a truck if your good enough at positioning to survive.

F.) not something to said wrong just an additional thing. please dear god water 1 the gates it makes your team life so so much longer a couple ele remembering to do that is all it takes to keep the rams pumping. you dont need heal stats to heal effectively. zero healing power no problem drop the waterfield and spam water 1 on the gate or siege.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Zilfalon.8452

Zilfalon.8452

I actually use the Staff in PvP and I more often than not end up winning in points lead.
But that may also be due to the rank I am on.

However, with Mist Form, Earth Armor and Tornado I get pretty decent survivability, a third Dodge with Staff Fire 4 Skill, and good Combo Field placement of Air 5 Skill enhances Damage of my Team while the enemies try to kill me – the annoying Ele.
That has me end up killing almost all of them once before I go down the first time.
Its also manageable to fight 1on1 like this, but its more useful when you have at least one team Member with you.
Tornado btw is just a great way to defend points even against multiple opponents, while you buy time for your Team to come and help you.

The point is to survive always long enough to put out more damage.

I am pretty happy with the Staff. 3rd Dodge, nice Combo Fields, you can cast Meteor shower from a decent range down on a point to just make this area more hazardous for your enemies. And maybe even get a Lava Pool down on your position before going down, and then have another Lava Pool from your Traits pop up. Sometimes the damage of two is too high for anyone to finish you. Even more time you have just won.

I am having a lot of fun with it, getting my enemies frustrated.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Rangerdeity.5847

Rangerdeity.5847

And maybe even get a Lava Pool down on your position before going down, and then have another Lava Pool from your Traits pop up. Sometimes the damage of two is too high for anyone to finish you. Even more time you have just won.

I am having a lot of fun with it, getting my enemies frustrated.

A: this OP is talking about WvW not spvp remember?
B:knowing this is WvW stick lava font somewhere it can get tags so you can rally then mistform to safety when you go down. and use that trait for something useful.
C:if you wanna frustrate them get lighting rod its OP vs zergs

in Elementalist

Posted by: Dredd Spirit Caller.4082

Dredd Spirit Caller.4082

Engy:Turrets Nade/HgH Kit Bunker Zerker
Necro:MMMesmer:pve omniRanger:SpiritsThief:P/P

in Elementalist

Posted by: Korimor.2406

Korimor.2406

http://youtu.be/QWxwEiBKqKg

I have sense gotten better at using staff roaming but here is a quick video of it’s capabilities. Staff imo can be used in all aspects of the game, roaming, pve, spvp, etc, just depends on how you play it and your skill level/basically timing.

Maguuma – “The Legendary Guy”
Jedi – Revenant, Tylox – Thief, Roeina – Ele, Korimor – Warrior
youtube.com/user/KorimorSWG

in Elementalist

Posted by: Gandalf.1537

Gandalf.1537

I was D/D but wanted to try something different, so I went with staff, while its challenging to use a staff, and ele at the same time, I am finding it rewarding at the end.

It takes a lot of guts going in with full zerk gear and runes trinkets and staff, but amazing how much damage I can dish out, I think its worth it yea, just be careful not to get crushed from behind or hit hard, otherwise poor ele will get beat down pretty hard. LOL

in Elementalist

Posted by: Retsuko.2035

Retsuko.2035

Staff Ele in WvW is fantastic fun. I very much enjoy my 0/5/0/5/4 damage spec. For the love of god please do not go 6 into arcane for evasive arcane as staff, complete waste of a trait.

Dodging in water attunement to heal and cleanse conditions on you and a few allies is a complete waste, and when we lay down a big water field, change to earth attunement, put an eruption down inside the water field (will make it blast) and then dodge roll in to the water field for another blast finisher inside the water field while the blast also immobilizes nearby enemies is also a complete waste.
So basically with evasive arcana, 2 heals for you and allies, a condition cleanse for you and allies , an immobilize and a blind are a waste of a trait?

Why are there so many bad staff ele’s on this forum?

Retsu ~ Inner Monkey [IM] ~ Piken Square