[WvW roaming] Celestial tempest?

in Elementalist

Posted by: Samug.6512

Samug.6512

As the title says. My only experience with Ele comes from open world PvE, and I’d like to ask more experienced players how viable would full celestial ele be for WvW roaming – solo and small scale, as a DPS-healing/support character.

(edited by Samug.6512)

in Elementalist

Posted by: vesica tempestas.1563

vesica tempestas.1563

works fine for small groups imo, 1v1 is doable but more of an issue in that you are missing the specialization you get with 4 stat armor.

“Trying to please everyone would not only be challenging
but would also result in a product that might not satisfy anyone”- Roman Pichler, Strategize

in Elementalist

Posted by: Kir Sakar.3647

Kir Sakar.3647

I am by no means experienced, but I have been experimenting with a full celestrial build in WvW on my Ele for a while now and can share my thoughts.

For me, the fun in Ele lies in the various roles it can fulfill. Before making ascended equipment, I had two sets of exotic armor, trinkets and weapons (Beserker and Magi/Cleric) for her and it really bothered me to be locked into one role at a time while being either super squishy or hitting like a wet noodle. Also, carrying so many weapon and armor parts takes up space. Celestrial seems to provide a really nice baseline “of everything” for Ele that can be customized for different purposes in WvW. I swap out a few trinkets and weapons to skew the stats into the role I want to play.

For example roaming with D/D and two beserker rings, playing Auramancer in a zerg with a ministrel warhorn and amulet/rings to gain the toughness/healing power, or clearing siege with a beserker staff while still having enough healing power to heal up allies at the rams. All of those builds are certainly not super optimal, but I appreciate the flexibility while carrying relatively few items in my inventory.

That being said, for roaming with D/D specifically, I am still trying to figure out an optimal build for my taste. I looked at the builds of the experienced Eles here (Seven’s D/D build and the D/D WET build that is also posted on Metabattle). Both of them rely on somewhat higher power and precision/ferocity than pure cele offers for burst damage and pressure in small scale fights.

Other than those two builds, I would really like to use Fire/Earth/Tempest (my setup is like this http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vFAQJAoYncMAVOgFOA+XC8RgFCALoAEACiD9gXQR0N12artA-T1haABooE0H1fGRPAH7H46DA4vTAAAK/CAgAcz6MAWuyVuyVuy5m38m38mLnUAkOGA-w) with D/D to make use of the hybrid damage of cele but so far I am not very successful and lose almost every duel due to not enough pressure to keep them off and not enough sustain to wear them down (very likely a l2p isssue from my side though, I am new to that weapon set and also not a good player in general…).

Charr Chronomancer | Asura Tempest | Charr Druid | Charr Guardian
(Seafarer’s Rest, EU)

in Elementalist

Posted by: LiquoriceAllSorts.1346

LiquoriceAllSorts.1346

https://youtu.be/sZENKvNTfeM

Vanilla build I used on Sunday (build in descripton) and got decent fights all within an hour. I’m not the best ele, ive had the game for 4 years but i had ~2 years break. Came back to tempest and for all it’s strengths I still love the vanilla dd playstyle. The build is pretty much the same as the ones listed above as is the gear but it’s definitely viable for roaming 1vx using quite a lot of cele gear

in Elementalist

Posted by: Samug.6512

Samug.6512

Thanks for all the responses.

From the data I managed to get (looking though some builds, here and metabattle) I gather that it’s always better to get one-two pieces of equipment with pure offensive stats rather than go full celestial. As far as I can see it’s quite flexible what stats I can use, I will start to experiment, to find out what fits me the most.
Thanks again!

in Elementalist

Posted by: kornfanxxx.9143

kornfanxxx.9143

I run full cele tempest Earth/water/tempest and I enjoy it alot. I usually unslot a chest/boot piece for zerk or minstrel or w/e i want to focus on but usually keep the rest full ascended cele.

Important thing to remember is tempest got some pretty harsh nerfs that knocked down cele tempest in wvw down several pegs, mainly the shout/WtPA nerfs which require high baseline healing power now and the OLair nerfs that reduce baseline damage.

Cele ele only becomes dangerous when you stack might on it, so practice might stacking with d/d or d/f w/e your playing.

Using OLfire is your main source of might along with a battle sigil and keeping your fire aura up as much as possible, once you master might stacking whilst fighting you’ll notice cele ele is a pretty good duelist who can trade blows with pretty much anything barring some thief builds, warriors, and boon corruption necros.

in Elementalist

Posted by: MidoriMarch.8067

MidoriMarch.8067

As the title says. My only experience with Ele comes from open world PvE, and I’d like to ask more experienced players how viable would full celestial ele be for WvW roaming – solo and small scale, as a DPS-healing/support character.

i would rather build a full support ele for group roaming or marauder zerker mix for s/f

its kinda boring to play celestial in wvw these days. I mean it works but not effective as much as before..