ele damage

ele damage

in Elementalist

Posted by: BSV Snafu.9854

BSV Snafu.9854

So I can’t decide between leveling my ele or my engineer to 80. I was wondering what type of dmg numbers people hit on there ele at 80.
Thanks in advance!

ele damage

in Elementalist

Posted by: scerevisiae.1972

scerevisiae.1972

if you want big damage numbers, roll a thief. don’t roll an Ele for damage.

downed state is bad for PVP

ele damage

in Elementalist

Posted by: Impact.2780

Impact.2780

With the right group and build, an ele can crit close to 50k with Fire Grab, 9k per lightning whip hit (so 18k per cast) and something like 20k+20k+30k with lightning hammer auto attack. You don’t see engineers doing that, and unlike for thief, an ele’s top DPS will be hitting 3-5 targets, not 1.

EU | Ímpáct / Impact Warlock / Impact Illusions
http://www.twitch.tv/impact2780

ele damage

in Elementalist

Posted by: xsquared.1926

xsquared.1926

Master Ruseman. Lv80 Mesmer 10/20/0/25/15
Boon Dispenser. Lv80 Guardian 15/25/0/20/10 Boom Dispenser – Lv80 Engineer 30/30/0/10/0
Chuck Thunderstruck – Lv 80 Ele 30/10/10/10/10

ele damage

in Elementalist

Posted by: ArmageddonAsh.6430

ArmageddonAsh.6430

PvE, where in the content most of the mobs don’t dodge or move out of AoE and where they just stand their and let you burst them…

ele damage

in Elementalist

Posted by: sorrychief.2563

sorrychief.2563

they don’t call it PvEasy for nothing.

champion magus
previously rank 2 on old leaderboards
EG.secret.OG.NAVI.sorrychief

ele damage

in Elementalist

BSV Snafu.9854

so can i get perma swiftness without losing alot of dmg on the ele?

ele damage

in Elementalist

Posted by: TomoHawkx.8139

TomoHawkx.8139

so can i get perma swiftness without losing alot of dmg on the ele?

Perma swiftness is easier to achieve on engi, but an ele can get perma swiftness if you do the right rotations/skill combos etc.

[Rain]
Gandara
S/F ele Channel

ele damage

in Elementalist

BSV Snafu.9854

so i know you can get perma swiftness on ele with a combo of skills but can i still do like a high damage build with perma swiftness?

ele damage

in Elementalist

TomoHawkx.8139

so i know you can get perma swiftness on ele with a combo of skills but can i still do like a high damage build with perma swiftness?

Yeah you can if you have the right weapon set/gear and trait set up

[Rain]
Gandara
S/F ele Channel

ele damage

in Elementalist

BSV Snafu.9854

care to explain? kinda new to an ele

ele damage

in Elementalist

TomoHawkx.8139

care to explain? kinda new to an ele

Well it just depends how you want to play ele (I’m going to be speaking from a WvW perspective here in terms of gameplay)

Staff: Easy access to perma swiftness while providing good aoe damage and group buffs, not so great in 1v1s
D/D or S/D: Less access to perma swiftness but still achievable, while tanking and dealing out good single target damage, not so great in large group fights.

[Rain]
Gandara
S/F ele Channel

ele damage

in Elementalist

BSV Snafu.9854

cool im gonna look more into an staff ele getting perma swift

ele damage

in Elementalist

Posted by: Arthas the Great.8765

Arthas the Great.8765

Ele can do a lot of damage, but then you will sacrifice vitality and toughness, because ele is light armour, you will be very squishy, hard to solo roam. If you like to play in a group or zerg, then ele is good.

By the way, ele is a hard class to play, if you are starting out in gw2, try to pick other prof first

ele damage

in Elementalist

Posted by: Guanglai Kangyi.4318

Guanglai Kangyi.4318

My warrior does 40k with one HB, that ele was only hitting 10k at most.

How is ele damage king when warrior literally does 4x more DPS?

ele damage

in Elementalist

Posted by: Wintel.4873

Wintel.4873

Ele is the king of PvE damage, especially when mobs/bosses are backed into corners or walls.
Scepter+Focus LH build and Staff + Frostbow can hit numbers like no other, that’s not even mentioning Fiery Greatsword.

But you need to know what you’re doing…..otherwise you will keep getting 2-shotted (or 1 shotted) due to having the lowest health/armor out of any other class.

If you’re just starting off in GW2, I would go with Engineer first. It truly is an amazing all-round class…great support, decent damage, great survivability. Engineer = very well-designed class.

ele damage

in Elementalist

Posted by: Iris Ng.9845

Iris Ng.9845

Your one HB is 40k but his is 40-ish number of hits with an average of 6k per hit (a total of at least 240k) during a time span of 13 seconds from the first hit to when the boss is down. So his DPS is like ~18k/sec, while your only big hit HB is like 40k/3.5 sec = 11.4k/sec.

Care to tell me how much damage can a war can bring during that 13 seconds?

“Raids are like fortune cookies. You eat the cookie and then read the paper scraps.”

- doranduck, 2016 on Lore in Raids

ele damage

in Elementalist

Posted by: Vick.6805

Vick.6805

Eles can get perma swiftness just with Staff’s Windborne Speed, the Inscription trait (Air Magic), and Glyph of Elemental Harmony.

Engis also have access to perma-swiftness, and all they have to do is use the trait Speedy Kits with one of their kits. A little boon duration increase makes it easier.

Staff: Easy access to perma swiftness while providing good aoe damage and group buffs, not so great in 1v1s
D/D or S/D: Less access to perma swiftness but still achievable, while tanking and dealing out good single target damage, not so great in large group fights.

This is a good summary, although describing an Ele as tanky is misleading under any circumstances, IMO. Even if you spec as defensively as possible, you’re still going to be squishy, just less so. I would also revise the staff description to say “terrible in 1v1s.”

if you want big damage numbers, roll a thief. don’t roll an Ele for damage.

Not necessarily. Thief can be really good at large numbers versus a single target, but Eles are quite capable of sizable damage output as well, both vs a single target and in AoE (although not necessarily with the same weapon).

Honestly, I think the reason most people perceive Ele damage as being terrible is because so many people refuse to break away from the typical x/x/x/30/30 builds. I even had someone try to claim that setup was the Ele’s zerker build recently, which is ridiculous.

I have to admit, I’ve complained about Ele damage in the past as well. But moving away from the x/x/x/30/30 build increases damage noticeably.

I don’t enjoy Engi at all and don’t really play mine now that he’s 80, so I’m not going to try to compare the two classes, but both classes are quite versatile.

ele damage

in Elementalist

Posted by: Zelyhn.8069

Zelyhn.8069

So you are back!

Zelyhn.8069 [rT]
Retired elementalist theorycrafter

ele damage

in Elementalist

Posted by: Wintel.4873

Wintel.4873

Honestly, I think the reason most people perceive Ele damage as being terrible is because so many people refuse to break away from the typical x/x/x/30/30 builds. I even had someone try to claim that setup was the Ele’s zerker build recently, which is ridiculous.

I have to admit, I’ve complained about Ele damage in the past as well. But moving away from the x/x/x/30/30 build increases damage noticeably.

x/x/x/30/30 build only truly became mandatory when Ele healing + blast finishers were repeatedly nerfed.
Currently any Ele which is running a full-zerker build (e.g. 30/20/10/10/0) faces getting insta-killed from full health in both PvE and PvP.

As a Thief or Mesmer sometimes I can blow up an Ele before they can even react if one or two of their cantrips are on cooldown. They literally go 100% > 0% in 2 seconds flat.

ele damage

in Elementalist

Posted by: Morgash.3165

Morgash.3165

x/x/x/30/30 build only truly became mandatory when Ele healing + blast finishers were repeatedly nerfed.
Currently any Ele which is running a full-zerker build (e.g. 30/20/10/10/0) faces getting insta-killed from full health in both PvE and PvP.

As a Thief or Mesmer sometimes I can blow up an Ele before they can even react if one or two of their cantrips are on cooldown. They literally go 100% > 0% in 2 seconds flat.

I run 30/10/10/10/10 and do not get one shot in pve… as long as you know when to evade… and in pvp.. well unless its a kill shot from a warrior I normally never get one shot. Running defensive skills like arcane shield / mist form helps in pvp / pve