help with ele might stacking

in Elementalist

Posted by: Cerebi.2738

Cerebi.2738

hi,

i understand that as an elementalist i need to be might stacking
i know all about s/d and d/d and all the combos to do that
but i have a problem
im playing PVE and i just die while i might stack. especiallly with earth5.

someone offered (in a thread i made which i cant find) to try staff ele.
which seems ranged and nice
but am i supposed to might stack with it? i found maybe 1-2 options to do that…

i play mesmer and it gives me minions that tank for me which is nice. i cant find something to tank for me as an ele…

thanks a lot!

in Elementalist

Posted by: Purple Miku.7032

Purple Miku.7032

You don’t use earth 5 on dagger unless you’re premight stacking before a fight.

If you’re premight stacking, you can hit 24 stacks with this rotation…

Start with S/D and use dragon’s tooth (#2) in a ring of fire (#4), immediately use a phoenix (#3) followed by arcane brilliance (healing skill), swap to water attunement and quickly equip a dagger mainhand and use frozen burst (#3), swap to earth attunement and use earth #4 and #5 in that order and while churning earth (#5) is channeling quickly swap to focus and use magnetive wave (#4) and arcane wave (utility) before the fire field ends. Your churning earth channeling won’t be interrupted by these two and will complete after the fire field disappears putting your might at 24. As long as you casted churning earth before the fire field ended, it’ll count as a blast.

If it helps I’ll make a video demonstrating how to do it, let me know if you want one.

(edited by Purple Miku.7032)

in Elementalist

Posted by: cheese.4739

cheese.4739

i play mesmer and it gives me minions that tank for me which is nice. i cant find something to tank for me as an ele…

The elite skill Glyph of Elementals, cast in Earth, will give you a very effective tank that really draws aggro well in PvE. There’s also the utility Glyph of Lesser Elementals that can give you a slightly weaker, but still very tough, ally.

Another strong damage mitigation skill, when fighting foes in melee, is Glyph of Storms (also in Earth Attunement), with regular blinding pulses that will shut down the majority of your enemies’ attacks.

These are all useful skills for most of the open world, and can really help in getting used to the profession since you don’t need to spend all your time trying so hard to stay alive.

in Elementalist

Posted by: DesertRose.2031

DesertRose.2031

Your ability to stack Might with Staff are limited. Earth #2, Fire #2, Arcane Brilliance and Arcane Wave generate 9 stacks of Might, afterwards you’re limited to Arcane Brilliance and Arcane Wave.

In general it isn’t the Staff Ele’s job to stack Might but to provide fire fields. A LH Ele and a Staff Ele can easily get to 25 stacks of Might.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Swimsasa Stoon.8936

Swimsasa Stoon.8936

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fFAQFAWnMISjDW4AWNAdEGwAwCnACA9wR3gyrhtQYA-TxRBABecgAuS5XHXQAa2fAgHAAlq/YmSQA-e

try this, use the glyphs in earth to tank for you, in fire for extra dps.
cantrips give you extra might, dodging into your fire field while in earth will grant you might as will no.2 in fire field or heal skill in fire field. You can create fire fields with 2 and 4 in the fire atunement. Make sure to use your crowd control to set up your big hits.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Cerebi.2738

Cerebi.2738

ty all
-Purple Miku.7032 im sure i wont be able to switch weapons in time :/ i also kinda dont like the idea to buff before fights…
- thanks for the advice on the summoned tanks
- DesertRose.2031 im confused. u said that the staff ele is limited to 9 stacks of might. then u said that a staff ele can easily get 25 stacks. im confused

in Elementalist

DesertRose.2031

- DesertRose.2031 im confused. u said that the staff ele is limited to 9 stacks of might. then u said that a staff ele can easily get 25 stacks. im confused

Staff Ele + LH Ele can easily get to 25 stacks of Might.
Staff Fire #2 is a fire field, and the third strike of Lightning Hammer #1 is a blast finisher. That means that together they generate 3 stacks of Might every ~4 seconds.

in Elementalist

cheese.4739

They said “with a LH Ele and a Staff Ele” – two players, one (the Staff) camping fire attunement and laying down Lava Fonts for a permanent fire field, the other (something non-Staff with a Lightning Hammer) doing all the blast finishers in those fields to stack might really effectively.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Domino.1359

Domino.1359

New to Ele and jumping on this question: With Fire’s Pyromancer’s Puissance trait(Grandmanster – stacks might every fire weapon skill), why do I never see it used in most builds? It seems more efficient than swapping for combo fields.
I’m asking mainly for PvE solo.

in Elementalist

Posted by: DutchRiders.2871

DutchRiders.2871

New to Ele and jumping on this question: With Fire’s Pyromancer’s Puissance trait(Grandmanster – stacks might every fire weapon skill), why do I never see it used in most builds? It seems more efficient than swapping for combo fields.

Well if you play a staff elementalist, the extra damage ticks you gain from higher lava font uptimes easily outperform Pyromancer’s Puissance.

When doing solo pve in the open world with dagger main-hand, elementalists with sigil of battle and/or sigil of strenght gain might simply from hitting opponents and swapping attuments. If they run with a might rune ( strenght,hoelbrak) the increased might duration combined with the fire fields-blast finishers and sigils will keep an elementalist above 21 stacks of might quite easily.

People running with 6 points in fire mainly utilize it for group compositions which are lacking might and fury up time. Pyromancers Puissance only gives personal might stacks, which elementalists can build up quite easily through battle anyways. So for solo content, lightning/water and arcane have alot more to offer.

(edited by DutchRiders.2871)

in Elementalist

cheese.4739

It’s really not more efficient most of the time. For a start, Persisting Flames increases field durations by 2s (can be a pretty significant dps increase with more damage ticks – allows you to maintain Lava Font, for example) and grants fury each time a fire field is blasted.

Fury, granting more critical hits, is pretty great – and you can blast those fire fields while not attuned to fire, so don’t lose all utility when you bring the trait (or lose the effects of this expensive trait when you switch attunements). Bringing Evasive Arcana, Arcane Brilliance and Arcane Wave will, along with blasts from weapon skills, provide pretty good might – and if playing solo, a Sigil of Battle adds that much more.

It’s not viable to sit in Fire Attunement unless with an experienced speedrun group – for open PvE, runs with PUGs or any kind of PvP you’ll need the utility of your other attunements to keep mobile and alive. The only way single-element builds can currently be workable is with Stone Heart and conjured weapons – and they still lose out on a lot of utility, effectively becoming toolbelt-less, non-fluid kit engineers with very high defense.

in Elementalist

DesertRose.2031

Because of Persisting Flames (Fire Magic XI).
A Staff Ele’s main damage skills are Staff Fire #1 and Staff Fire #2. Persisting Flames increases the duration and thus damage of Staff Fire #2 by ~50%, meaning your total damage by ~25%. Pyromancer’s Puissance (Fire Magic XII) would need to give you ~14 stacks of Might to be an equal damage boost.

MH Dagger Eles usually only use 1-2 fire skills every ~25-30 seconds, and MH Scepter Eles usually use Lightning Hammer as their main weapon and use 2-3 fire skills every 25-30 seconds, so Pyromancer’s Puissance is pretty much useless for them. For non-Staff Eles Persisting Flames is an convenient source for Fury, though.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Rainshine.5493

Rainshine.5493

Because of Persisting Flames (Fire Magic XI).
A Staff Ele’s main damage skills are Staff Fire #1 and Staff Fire #2. Persisting Flames increases the duration and thus damage of Staff Fire #2 by ~50%, meaning your total damage by ~25%. Pyromancer’s Puissance (Fire Magic XII) would need to give you ~14 stacks of Might to be an equal damage boost.

MH Dagger Eles usually only use 1-2 fire skills every ~25-30 seconds, and MH Scepter Eles usually use Lightning Hammer as their main weapon and use 2-3 fire skills every 25-30 seconds, so Pyromancer’s Puissance is pretty much useless for them. For non-Staff Eles Persisting Flames is an convenient source for Fury, though.

Hey, thanks for breaking down the math. I knew Persisting Flames came out ahead, but didn’t realize it was that significant.

Ruse Torrent (elementalist) on JQ
trixnotes tumblr: quick hits of lore | personal tumblr (some other GW2 stuff)

in Elementalist

Posted by: Domino.1359

Domino.1359

Thank you to all 3 repliers on that question! Lol

in Elementalist

cheese.4739

Thank you to all 3 repliers on that question! Lol

Yeah so in a tl;dr: it sucks compared to the other option. By quite a bit! ^__^

(I’m not counting Blinding Ashes as a third option because it doesn’t directly affect dps)