how much toughness is enough?

in Elementalist

Posted by: urinfamousr.7631

urinfamousr.7631

how much toughness if needed for a d/d ele in WvW with a 0 10 0 30 30 build. wut gear is best for the pvp stats i need like toughness power and healing vit??

in Elementalist

Posted by: Zaviel.1245

Zaviel.1245

Simply ask yourself how much you hate dieing. If you say you love dieing then glass cannon is for you, if you hate dieing then all the toughness you can get is good (soldier/knight armors, carrion if you want condition damage.)

in Elementalist

urinfamousr.7631

what about healing power? how much si enough to not over do it? right now my toughness is so low but im in greens atm lvl 80 finally at about 2.2k toughness 17khp 2.2k str

in Elementalist

Posted by: Troponin.4081

Troponin.4081

He doesn’t give exact stats in here, but you get the picture. If you follow the general idea of his guide, you will discover what you like best. It appears that a balance of Toughness, vit, power, condition damage, and some healing is optimal for survivability and decent damage. If you don’t expect to be a damage powerhouse, but can survive a ton of assault, then you will like his set ups. When I discovered this guide, I realized just how incredible Eles can be at staying alive.

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/professions/elementalist/Guide-Mastering-the-D-D-ele-12-20-12/first

in Elementalist

Posted by: Mogar.9216

Mogar.9216

toughness 1600+ I like 1900 ish

in Elementalist

Posted by: CachoDm.4639

CachoDm.4639

Hi, I’m running “daphoenix” build that is linked above ^ I have around 2.5k toughness and 14755 hp It is low but with his build when i swap to water it heals me a GOOD amount of hp and when I use cleansing wave it also heals me like 2.5k. I’m talking as in spvp or pvp the only thing that I hate is very glass cannon warriors and mesmers because I bought the game 2 months ago and I been only playing pvp and still don’t know where you DO need to dodge XD. It is a pretty good build with good survivability.

R48 Nooßlêss Multiclass Looking for a best friend.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Calle.8746

Calle.8746

I run around with 1394 toughness and I never die unless I underestamate my enemy or I don’t pay attention. I sometimes find myself in a position where I have to run away in order to ‘not die’ but that’s from like a 1v5. Never needed to run from a 1v1. And due to Elementalists awesome mobility running away is always an option. Used to have more toughness but I gladly dicieded to give some of it up to do more damage. While my survivablility got lowered a bit I now do badazz damage.

in Elementalist

Posted by: haviz.1340

haviz.1340

Hi, I’m running “daphoenix” build that is linked above ^ I have around 2.5k toughness and 14755 hp It is low but with his build when i swap to water it heals me a GOOD amount of hp and when I use cleansing wave it also heals me like 2.5k. I’m talking as in spvp or pvp the only thing that I hate is very glass cannon warriors and mesmers because I bought the game 2 months ago and I been only playing pvp and still don’t know where you DO need to dodge XD. It is a pretty good build with good survivability.

You mean defense, he meant toughness. Defense = armour + toughness.

When you play more and more you gonna need less and less armour. That’s common formula. Start with P/V/T gear for really straightforward defense and pure offense without critics and in few days/weeks/months you will want to get more offensive gear like zerker weapons or jewelry. Basically, dodging is the best defense, not toughness/vitality. And good dodging comes with experience.

in Elementalist

urinfamousr.7631

You mean defense, he meant toughness. Defense = armour + toughness.

When you play more and more you gonna need less and less armour. That’s common formula. Start with P/V/T gear for really straightforward defense and pure offense without critics and in few days/weeks/months you will want to get more offensive gear like zerker weapons or jewelry. Basically, dodging is the best defense, not toughness/vitality. And good dodging comes with experience.

i was just wondering cause someone said they had around 2.7k defense and 3.3k pwr with 15k hp and like 20% + crit so iw as wondering how i could get those stats.

in spvp i run like 2.5k defense w/ 13k hp alot of healing pwr and 2.9k pwr and go 0 10 0 30 30 like daphoenix . but im wondering in WvW how much defense would be enough to not get 2 shot by a thief? not sure if the stats in spvp will be the same or better in Wv3

in Elementalist

haviz.1340

i was just wondering cause someone said they had around 2.7k defense and 3.3k pwr with 15k hp and like 20% + crit so iw as wondering how i could get those stats.

in spvp i run like 2.5k defense w/ 13k hp alot of healing pwr and 2.9k pwr and go 0 10 0 30 30 like daphoenix . but im wondering in WvW how much defense would be enough to not get 2 shot by a thief? not sure if the stats in spvp will be the same or better in Wv3

Stats in wvw are much better than in spvp. Amulet+jewel give less amount of them (923/644 in spvp and 1001/696 in pve without ascended items and with rare backpack), you have consumambles (and most people give their stat with cons active) and the last thing is bonus to hp from wvw that applies in wvw and in pve.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Ulion.5476

Ulion.5476

Toughness has diminishing returns so every 100points of toughness = 5-3%(1900-3000armor) damage reduction. Remember elementalist have various ways to get protection(attunement swap, aura traits, cantrips) and some access to weakness(staff-earth, dagger-air, glyph of elemental power- air), for more survivability.

Post: http://www.guildwars2guru.com/topic/60838-math-damage-reduction-toughness-and-vitality/

Converting damage reduction to equivalent toughness gain
The conversion will be done assuming a 2600-armor character. The formula is A*R/(1-R).
50% = 2600 toughness
33% = 1300 toughness (Protection)
25% = 867 toughness
20% = 650 toughness
15% = 459 toughness (Signet of Judgement with perfect insriptions)
10% = 289 toughness (Signet of Judgement)
5% = 137 toughness.

Ele – Tarnished Coast
“Quoth the raven nevermore”
Platinum Scout: 300% MF

in Elementalist

Posted by: Minoru.1237

Minoru.1237

If you are going to be using P/V/T gear stay in the range of 1600-1700 toughness. Anything more is really overkill. As for healing power, try to keep it over 500, and dodge in water if you have the evasive arcana trait. That will provide enough healing power and defense to out heal your opponent’s initial burst, assuming that said opponent isn’t a thief using a macro.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Troponin.4081

Troponin.4081

assuming that said opponent isn’t a thief using a macro.

We can use macros?

in Elementalist

Posted by: Mahanaxar.1386

Mahanaxar.1386

The president has been kidnapped by ninjas!!! Are you a tough enough dude to save the president?

Relentless Raven, 80 Warrior
Robin Sparklies, 80 Elementalist
Crimethink [ct] – Yak’s Bend

in Elementalist

urinfamousr.7631

If you are going to be using P/V/T gear stay in the range of 1600-1700 toughness. Anything more is really overkill. As for healing power, try to keep it over 500, and dodge in water if you have the evasive arcana trait. That will provide enough healing power and defense to out heal your opponent’s initial burst, assuming that said opponent isn’t a thief using a macro.

so im guessing AC gear for these stats?? just wondering cause atm i only have like 350 toughness im wondering how in the world can i get 1600-1700 toughness and still have enough stats in heal pwr and pwr to do dmg :/ im using greens atm so im guessing exotics give that much of a boost to defense ??

in Elementalist

haviz.1340

so im guessing AC gear for these stats?? just wondering cause atm i only have like 350 toughness im wondering how in the world can i get 1600-1700 toughness and still have enough stats in heal pwr and pwr to do dmg :/ im using greens atm so im guessing exotics give that much of a boost to defense ??

You can’t have 350 toughness, your basic is 916 on lvl 80. You get upscaled in wvw.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Kilger.5490

Kilger.5490

I do fine with 1300 toughness and 22k health. I’m not as worried about healing efficiency since I do my healing afterwords, I worry more about dps output until its time to retreat. With mistform/lightning flash I can cap my losses and get out fairly efficiently.

Higher toughness will make your heals much more efficient, but if you let vitality go you are at the mercy of conditions. At 14k my sigil of fire will remove half your health by itself.

Kilger – Human Ranger
alts: Fangyre (Necro), Hardrawk (Ele);
Jade Quarry

in Elementalist

Minoru.1237

Spend some time running either AC or HotW, or you could use karma or WvW badges of honor actually, and collect all P/V/T armor and daggers. Use all exotic cleric jewelry and invest in a P/V/T back piece as well. This should put you up between 1600-1700 toughness. You can actually modify this build a bit, as I have, and end up with 1700 toughness, 600 healing power, and 60% (actually now 59%) critical damage. It’s the most killer build out there for WvW and it will eat other standard 0/10/0/30/30 healing eles up in 1v1s. They won’t know what hit them because you can out heal their damage and burst them down. It’s an expensive build, though. Send me a whisper if you want to know more about it.

in Elementalist

Posted by: DaliIndica.9041

DaliIndica.9041

As others have said, stack lots of defensive stats until you are ok with dodging and avoiding as best you can. Then start to add in some power (with the stats you like, eg; condi, crit whatever) and you should end up with a sweet spot that suits your style of play.

Personally I went full on tank mode to begin with, then you start to see breathing space and start adding more damage orientated builds.

best defense is range and avoidance. Most of my skills are defense minded, using the staff as my main source of damage. I cannot advise on an elite because I never really use them bar on my guardian or ranger.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Kaggura.4839

Kaggura.4839

@Minoru – I have all PVT after buying the karma set and using 6/6 dolyak runes. I also have the PVT backpack but even when I use all ruby jewelry instead of my clerics, I still find my damage less than if I go 30 into fire and at least 20 air. Is the damage you are seeing in your build still using the 0/10/0/30/30 trait setup? Currently with my setup I have around 20,533 HP and over 1600 toughness. ^^ PM if you wish with the details of your build // I’m interested in how it could work

in Elementalist

Minoru.1237

@Minoru – I have all PVT after buying the karma set and using 6/6 dolyak runes. I also have the PVT backpack but even when I use all ruby jewelry instead of my clerics, I still find my damage less than if I go 30 into fire and at least 20 air. Is the damage you are seeing in your build still using the 0/10/0/30/30 trait setup? Currently with my setup I have around 20,533 HP and over 1600 toughness. ^^ PM if you wish with the details of your build // I’m interested in how it could work

Yes it is. If I crit it hurts peope, and I still maintain excellent toughness and healing power. You’ll have to be a scrooge and save your money, and yes, you’ll have to farm to get my build. I’ll tell you more in game.

in Elementalist

haviz.1340

Spend some time running either AC or HotW, or you could use karma or WvW badges of honor actually, and collect all P/V/T armor and daggers. Use all exotic cleric jewelry and invest in a P/V/T back piece as well. This should put you up between 1600-1700 toughness. You can actually modify this build a bit, as I have, and end up with 1700 toughness, 600 healing power, and 60% (actually now 59%) critical damage. It’s the most killer build out there for WvW and it will eat other standard 0/10/0/30/30 healing eles up in 1v1s. They won’t know what hit them because you can out heal their damage and burst them down. It’s an expensive build, though. Send me a whisper if you want to know more about it.

How do you end up with 59%crit dmg with pvt armour and weapons and cleric jewelry? Runes of divinity/ruby/beryl orbs in armour and exquisite ruby/beryl jewels in every pieces of equipment you can put? 30 in air?

in Elementalist

Posted by: katniss.6735

katniss.6735

I’ve fought those high burst eles very infrequently and I had to take a step back. I didn’t lose, though.

I go to 34% crit when swapping and applying auras while in bunker build. I have an invaders set, and a knight’s set. I barely ever use knight’s. It was a waste of money. PVC would probably work a lot better. Max armor, a backstab can still do around 13.5k, so if you’re not one of those 18-22k health eles, you’re probably not a roamer.

I need more damage badly. As I add PVT jewellery it’s taking longer to kill elites in camps. I know there’s some bursty eles that can solo those buffed claimers. I cannot. I’d like to know what they’re using. It takes conditions to do that. Conditions are also what keep thieves from perma stealthing. So I’m using fire and earth on them as much as possible when they’re low, or they will just reset the fight.

Server: Maguuma – Leafy Lass – Elementalist (WvW)
Guild: Bill Murray [Bill]/ [DERP]
twitch.tv/mlgw2

in Elementalist

Posted by: Sypher.6708

Sypher.6708

Minoru, can you post your build or pm it to me? Sounds like my style!

in Elementalist

Posted by: plasmacutter.2709

plasmacutter.2709

Seconded.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Vissarion.6509

Vissarion.6509

Seconded.

hey me2, i would love to see what you build.

They called us TEMPESTs, but we can use our elite to cheat death instead

in Elementalist

Posted by: covenn.7165

covenn.7165

1700 ish toughness here and 20k health with food. 53% crit or so with auras. I have just enough heal power to keep my big heal at 2200. (700ish I believe does that, though I may be off some as I am at work and cant check)

Personally, I think adding any condition damage from gear is a total waste in WvW. Why add 3k+ damage (depending obviously) or so over time from bleed/burn ticks that can easily be removed, when a single crit on your big hitters is going to add that much more instantly. If we had more ways as a D/D to keep consistent stacks / more conditions on more people it would be worth it…. but umm yeah.

Edit: Thieves I guess, but who cares. They cant kill me alone anyways. I usually just ignore them if I am roaming alone.

(edited by covenn.7165)

in Elementalist

covenn.7165

Also to the posters talking about taking condition damage. If you are cookie cutter bunker, you should never have conditions on you for more than a tick or two. You can afford to run less vitality if you want. I personally don’t, because I feel like I do way more damage being able to sustain it when fighting multiple opponents and the extra vit helps with that.

in Elementalist

Minoru.1237

I can now achieve 69% crit damage and 48% crit chance with food, and I still maintain 1661 toughness and 620 healing. If I switch up food I can have 59% crit damage, 48% crit chance and 720 healing, or 620 healing and 1771 toughness. I change food depending on how the day goes. Being kited by too many pistol thieves? More healing. Anyway, I’ve been considering using a sigil of bloodlust as opposed to what I’m using now, a superior sigil of corruption. I will have to test it out.

in Elementalist

covenn.7165

Perception will add 12% more crit chance at full stacks btw.

in Elementalist

covenn.7165

I can now achieve 69% crit damage and 48% crit chance with food, and I still maintain 1661 toughness and 620 healing. If I switch up food I can have 59% crit damage, 48% crit chance and 720 healing, or 620 healing and 1771 toughness. I change food depending on how the day goes. Being kited by too many pistol thieves? More healing. Anyway, I’ve been considering using a sigil of bloodlust as opposed to what I’m using now, a superior sigil of corruption. I will have to test it out.

Similar to my alternate gear set when I want to see more big numbers for kicks. I drop toughness down some more than you for more vitality, 89% crit damage and 73% crit chance with aura/stacks.

in Elementalist

haviz.1340

Similar to my alternate gear set when I want to see more big numbers for kicks. I drop toughness down some more than you for more vitality, 89% crit damage and 73% crit chance with aura/stacks.

Could you list your gear/traits, I’m quite curious how are you achieving those stats, I’m guessing 20-30 in air with beryl trinkets and knight’s armour with runes/orbs that give crit dmg. Probably sigil of perception as well.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Minion of Vey.4398

Minion of Vey.4398

For 0/10/0/30/30 I wear clerics gear in the 6 armor slots. Daggers are cleric daggers too. Rings and backpack are the ascended PVT gear, rest is a karka accessory and a couple carrion items. Boon duration runes, sigils are the 3x might on swap and the 25 stacks of condition damage ones (for daggers). armor of earth, lightning flash, mist form, elemental elite with the cantrips trait.

Works extremely well at what we do best. Wasting time, harassing people, and getting away. 1 on 1 you can kill anyone that either doesn’t have good sustained healing or a good way to disengage.

If you die in WvWvW, it’ll generally be due to you pushing your luck against multiple people, or rounding a corner and running into a zerg or something. Even then, you can often get away. 99% of my deaths are just due to me trying to squeeze out a mist form stomp on someone downed or something with their buddies beating on me. One of the few builds available good for roaming around on your own. You can take camps solo as long as defenders don’t show up to bother you, and if you see a situation that looks bad and you decide to get out of there early, you’ll get away.

Most 1 on 1s are just decided by whether you’re able to kill people when they decide to run away from you. Other than a really good thief that gets lucky with RNG and is built for direct damage, you won’t be in any real danger. Vast majority of thief fights will be them hitting you, you hitting them back, they get low on hps, they escape.

Our damage doesn’t scale well enough from offensive stats to bother with much of it in all honesty. What you lack in the stats anyway, you can make up for with might stacks. Not enough to be a killing machine, but enough to where you’re able to kill some people.

(edited by Minion of Vey.4398)

in Elementalist

Posted by: Kilger.5490

Kilger.5490

I suppose I dont build for dueling, I jump into an enemy zerg and get out when I hit my limit.

I could build tougher, but I’d rather be able to share by auras, and give everyone around me a boost. I go for power/condition, because I want to lay in a lot of pressure to a whole lot of enemies, and dont focus on getting one person down. But it does really good for bursting down most people too, I havent actually had a duel I didnt win where it was a straight fight 1-1 but I bet there are much better out there at this. Conditions are great for keeping up pressure, an elementalist can apply them faster than they can be removed. That burn is going to keep being applied, dont even bother!

So I dont measure myself by how well I would do dueling another elementalist, but by how well it fits my playstyle. Something to think about.

Kilger – Human Ranger
alts: Fangyre (Necro), Hardrawk (Ele);
Jade Quarry

(edited by Kilger.5490)

in Elementalist

Posted by: niedawow.6725

niedawow.6725

What’s up with all the elitism in this thread? Is there a new movement of superior elementalists that I never heard of? You don’t need to brag with your stats and keep your equipment hidden. There are excell sheets out there, where you can put all the gear and calculate your stats. Everybody can get the same equipment, if they are willing to spend the time and/or the money.

Post your gear, post your builds, so new players can decide which way to go and what gear to farm.

Gimpo Exitus – proud guardian

in Elementalist

Minoru.1237

Put all the gear in the excel sheets and see what you can come up with.

in Elementalist

Posted by: MarzAttakz.9608

MarzAttakz.9608

Running ascended gear likely, no matter how I tinker with standard available gear those potential stats aren’t achievable. For non-fractal grinders we’ll just have to be happy with “ok” for now.

YOU KNOW THERE AIN’T NO REST FOR THE WICKED, TILL WE CLOSE OUR EYES FOR GOOD.

Once proud member of Extraordinary Gentlemen [EXG]{DESO4LIFE}

in Elementalist

Posted by: TheGuy.3568

TheGuy.3568

toughness 1600+ I like 1900 ish

This is about right. As far as healing power goes for us you take it your right you leave it your still ok. We scale well with healing power not just the active skills but unlike most classes we passive heal a lot. Taking healing power isn’t a bad idea but as far as you personal survival goes specing more vit and toughness pretty much off sets it.

Kor The Cold Heart War
Wrekkes-Engineer Kore Rok Thief-Asraithe-Ele

in Elementalist

covenn.7165

What’s up with all the elitism in this thread? Is there a new movement of superior elementalists that I never heard of? You don’t need to brag with your stats and keep your equipment hidden. There are excell sheets out there, where you can put all the gear and calculate your stats. Everybody can get the same equipment, if they are willing to spend the time and/or the money.

Post your gear, post your builds, so new players can decide which way to go and what gear to farm.

Feel free to whisper me in game and I will show you my exact gear in both my sets.