need help with ele pvp (wvw and spvp)

in Elementalist

Posted by: Jesse.1592

Jesse.1592

Hey ele community so been using my ele since launch and mostly just pve and some wvw and spvp for fun.

So been liking the d/d 0/10/0/30/30 build for s pvp with devinity runes and valk/beserk

in pve i run s/d because I find it is too hard to run with a group so I cant really go staff and since the ai is dumb it will just stand there and take the big dragons tooth hits etc so I run a condition build with carrions and undead and a 30/0/20/0/20 build and that seems to work ok for me giving my life through carrions and toughness + condition through traits.

So now the issue I am runnin into is in wvw you need to share the kits as your pve and that isnt working so great because I want to run staff in wvw but staff condition is good at keeping people away it never really accomplishes any kills.

So the question I have is zerker ele viable in a groupe for wvw? I have no problem buying a second set of high teir armor (one time cause im not too rich) and going for a high dps staff build somehting like 30/30/0/0/20.

I just dont want people to easily run out of my meteor shower/valcano etc. And really do not want to find out that build is not viable after spending tons of gold on equip for it.

So any wvw ele out there give me a clue what is a good build. I see some use the d/d 0/10/0/30/30 build in wvw too but when I seem to run across them they just arent effective in a mob.

Thanks to all my ele community.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Razor.6392

Razor.6392

All I read in this section is: PVT and 0/10/0/30/30

can’t you guys think of your own builds? I understand that it’s a decent build but it gets annoying to see so many people that follow it like sheep

Level 60 pvp
Ele & thief main (full ascended)
Down with the braindead faceroll classes.

in Elementalist

Jesse.1592

sorry Im not all up on the lingo pvt? I know pve and pvp and wvw but what pvt?

As for your comment on making my own build if you read I am asking for help on viable builds for wvw as in is a zerker staff viable. the equip to make is not cheap and so a little help from others if others have tried it to not make the same mistake (if it is non viable) is a big savings in money.

pvp is one thing where it is all free to tweak but wvw is not and it isnt cheap to go down one road only to find out it is a dead end so sorry to upset you but i dont feel like wasting a ton of gold to go down a pad path.

in Elementalist

Posted by: LordSlack.4685

LordSlack.4685

I’m interested in answers to this too. As an aspiring ele, I can’t help but look for wvw builds other than 0 10 0 30 30 and get that staff working.

in Elementalist

Posted by: jque.6940

jque.6940

First 0/10/0/30/30 works fine with staff, as long as you are good at kiting, the support and DPS it brings in combination with the CC are equal to D/D with a group. Solo D/D out preforms everything because of the ability to end a fight on your terms.

As far as the build is concerned this is the build that the meta game has churned out for us, it utilizes the best traits and complements our best utility skills. It is as simple as that, it is the most effective build to run. If you are looking for other builds you will simply run into the basic fact that other traits are much narrower in terms of usefulness in switching between elements. For example a high fire build requires you to be in fire attunement to make the most out of the traits, the same is true for high earth builds. You could try a high air build but then you will find yourself lacking overall survivability which is hard on a class with a low hitpoint and armor pool to begin with.

The reality is that to maximize your element switching 15-30 arcana is almost a requirement (see numerous posts begging them to change this). 30 Points in water allows you to pick the best major traits as well as the best minor traits (condition clears and AoE heals). Until they change this the 0/10/0/30/30 build is the best build out there for all of our weapon setup’s really.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Thunderbrew.7034

Thunderbrew.7034

^^ Summed up very well. As a staff ele in WvW, I wear berserker
gear, but Im traited 0-20-0-30-20. I still have over 3300 attack
and 99% crit bonus with food. The 30 in the water line I cannot
do without because of the low hitpoint pool (which makes you
very susceptible to dots), and removing all conditions quickly
is key.

I can tell you after 600 hours on my staff ele, that its imperative
that you master map awareness and positioning. Both of those
account for 95% of your survival. In fact, I would say both of those
are more important than any defensive skills I have. Use Ride the
Lightning when traveling in the open, and in mass battles, make
sure you always have an exit strategy. Sitting in one spot removed
from other people is begging to get jumped by thieves.

in Elementalist

Posted by: asperbianca.3196

asperbianca.3196

I run 30/15/10/0/5 on my ele and I tend to outlast a vast majority of the people around me in WvW. I’ve got around 3400 attack power, 50% crit, and 75% crit damage without food. I do, however, have to kite a lot. It requires a lot of moving, dodging, and blasting staff helps out a lot. I’ve never been one to follow a specific build; the thing I like most about GW2 is the versatility in builds that compliment player styles.

in Elementalist

Posted by: TGSlasher.1458

TGSlasher.1458

All I read in this section is: PVT and 0/10/0/30/30

can’t you guys think of your own builds? I understand that it’s a decent build but it gets annoying to see so many people that follow it like sheep

Wow, that was a bit harsh, why don’t you pull the stick out of you but and read the rest of his post.

@OP
A 0 0 10 30 30 build is good for staff as support heals and buffs. This is the build my friend first played when he joined GW2, was previously more op due to EA bug. You want to swap in Blasting Staff (increased staff AOEs)

Glass cannon zerker builds for WvW I’m not to sure on. AFAIK you will decimate your opponents but you need to be toward the back of your zerg or you will be destroyed quickly

Slasher Sladorian – Charr Warrior – [DECM] | Sea of Sorrows
Sophea Sladorian – Charr Ranger – [DECM] | Sea of Sorrows
Sophea Of Elements – Human Elementalist – [DECM] | Sea of Sorrows

in Elementalist

Razor.6392

why do staff players need 0/10/0/30/30? You think that you will survive if you get caught? No matter how much bonus HP or cond removal you have, you will die. If you wanna be supportive then run aurashare. In my opinion staff players should just do damage, there are better weapon choices for bunkers out there.

Complete waste of traits and damage.

Level 60 pvp

in Elementalist

Thunderbrew.7034

^^ On paper that sounds good, but after spending all night
in WvW, Im sticking with my 30 in water. The enemy zerg had
6 necros working in perfect unison, and the allies on my side
(including me) found it common to see 7+ debuffs on us. As fast as
we could get rid of them, they were back. They were part of a 30
man zerg by the way, not alone.

This is the only reason why I go water. The 3k HP buff and the ability
to remove so many conditions, when coupled with the other traits,
allowed me to live in situations that it would not have been possible
without mass condition removal. It could be argued that Ether Renewal
could achieve this same effect, but I still think 3300 attack, 53% crit, and 99%
to crit damage is more than sufficient traited 0-20-0-30-20.

There are many different play styles, and any of them work with a skilled
player. Just find the mix for your own self between offense vs defense.

in Elementalist

Posted by: ChaosDoom.8459

ChaosDoom.8459

could achieve this same effect, but I still think 3300 attack, 53% crit, and 99%

Hi Thunderbrew, no offense please. Can you share your build as of how to get 99% crit damage please? I am playing around with build editor but can’t get it to that level. I am also trying out crit build but seems not to be able to push up my crit damage that high. Thanks

Little Furry – Twin Terror of Crystal Desert
Guild KöMÉ – §Strength, Honour & Duty§

in Elementalist

Posted by: jque.6940

jque.6940

ChaosDoom w/ Full Valk/Berserker and consumables use this build editor for PVE/WvW stats – Link.

These arguments that because staff doesn’t have RTL if they get caught in the open they are doomed are getting old. It is a silly argument only usefully when talking about simply exiting a fight never to return. Using the same build Staff has just as much capability to gain separation in a fight as D/D does more so if the enemy telegraphs it poorly as a static field or ice field can end a charge prematurely with ease. With that being said staff is the original bunker weapon. People shifted to D/D in SPVP because of the roaming ability combined with the bunker. It is just as viable to WvW with a staff bunker as it is D/D they bring different things to the table but in larger scale fights or in 5 man pull/extend groups staff is still the best weapon.

in Elementalist

Thunderbrew.7034

Hi Thunderbrew, no offense please. Can you share your build as of how to get 99% crit damage please? I am playing around with build editor but can’t get it to that level. I am also trying out crit build but seems not to be able to push up my crit damage that high. Thanks

Sure thing. The 6 piece armor is berserker, with Ruby Orbs. The Accessories
are Berserker, and the back piece is the one that gives crit damage (spinal). Staff
is berserker. Than you have the 20 points in Air line for another 20%. That will
put you at 93% crit damage. I use food that gives an additional 6% but take note
that there is a better one than that. Total is 99%.

One thing to note is, if your testing this in the Mists you wont get the same stats
because of the options available. You have to do it with real gear outside the mists.

in Elementalist

ChaosDoom.8459

@Thunderbrew and jque

Thanks for the input. That’s nice DPS output.

in Elementalist

Razor.6392

@Thunderbrew and jque

I hit 115% with food -_-

Level 60 pvp

in Elementalist

ChaosDoom.8459

By the way, does the NPC still available in Southsun Cove? The one that can exchange 1000 karka shells for Ancient Karka Shell Earring?

in Elementalist

Jesse.1592

thanks for all the comments guys it has helped alot. So I ended up with the 0/10/0/30/30 build and do d/d and cary a staff in going to support my fort. Been having alot of fun in wvw lately wish i had tried it earlier and with the new build/traits I have a new found joy in my ele.

Thanks a bunch ele group

in Elementalist

Posted by: Swimsasa Stoon.8936

Swimsasa Stoon.8936

in WvW I run 10/0/10/30/20 on my D/D build and am now testing an arcane build with S/F for dungeons but it seems to work pretty good in wvw too. am now able to take down supply camps solo. Though I do need to get some better armor and runes since its a healing armor which you don’t need if you have focus off-hand.

in Elementalist

Thunderbrew.7034

@Thunderbrew and jque

I hit 115% with food -_-

Of course, when you put another 10 points into Air, use the
best food and have an asecended item or two. Im trading some
of that for the ability to remove so many conditions which has
kept me alive countless of times (especially in tier 1 this week
WvW where there were so many necros in the enemy group).

in Elementalist

Posted by: Laughing Crow.7581

Laughing Crow.7581

By the way, does the NPC still available in Southsun Cove? The one that can exchange 1000 karka shells for Ancient Karka Shell Earring?

Yes, was just there. But at the current drop rate or at least what I’m getting, that item must be a joke.

Today’s karka tally and harvest:

40 karka killed
5 chunks crab meat
3 spiral shells
1 drop of 75 copper
1 drop of 57 copper

Hardly worth the time and travel cost.

in Elementalist

Posted by: SuiRyuJin.4615

SuiRyuJin.4615

if using a high crit build, use life leech food like omnomberry ghost. while the 10% extra crit dmg from food is nice, its not that big a difference compare to the 1-2k hp u can get back aoes in zergs. of course everything is situational, but i would stick with lifeleech especially as u trait closer to the glass cannon build.

Suiryujin – Ele [Pyro]
Server: Maguuma