so much work.. for so little. why ?

in Elementalist

Posted by: eldain stenlund.4306

eldain stenlund.4306

found this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gEDQ9cKh5gY

first you do this, then this. and this, and this… and this.. oh.. and then that.. and that.. and this , and this, and this… and dont forget that.. or this….

This vid i found, just shows how terrible the elemental class realy are.
I mean… soooo much work.. for so little… just why ??

When i leveled my flamer-engineer. i used my napalm bomb.. then just burn the mobs down.. Groups of them. and if i was bored.. i started with my elixir gun instead to pull mobs together so i can aoe with flamer.

the difference is day and pitch darkness.
i know its 2 different classes.

i just wonder.. why the hell, do you need to work so hard on elemental..
to gain so little ??? makes no sense, since elemental are light armor.. and low hp also.

So.. shouldnt elemental.. like.. have alot stronger Direct dmg ?

So.. shouldnt elemental.. like.. have alot stronger Direct dmg ?A-nets official description of the class:
“Elementalists are multi-faceted spellcasters that channel elemental forces, making fire, air, earth, and water do their bidding. What they lack in physical toughness, they make up in versatility and the ability to inflict massive damage in a single attack.”

lol.. “massive damage in a single attack” pfff.. lol…

in Elementalist

Posted by: Intigo.1653

Intigo.1653

Attachments:

80 Asura Elementalist – [Red Guard]
http://www.youtube.com/user/IntigoGW2

in Elementalist

Posted by: Arheundel.6451

Arheundel.6451

Ok but…

1) 22 stacks of might
2) bonus food
3) fury
4) maybe vulnerability from friendly zerg

Sure ele doesn’t lack damage for sure, but the picture you’ve posted is misleading

in Elementalist

Posted by: Petrol.9086

Petrol.9086

That’s acually one of the things i enjoy about the class, and tbh i don’t even think about it anymore, it’s like driving a stick shift.

in Elementalist

Posted by: GrandmaFunk.3052

GrandmaFunk.3052

first you do this, then this. and this, and this… and this.. oh.. and then that.. and that.. and this , and this, and this… and dont forget that.. or this….

it’s not “work”, it’s gameplay.

apparently, you prefer hitting the same key repeatedly until the enemy is dead, some players prefer a more involved style.

When i leveled my flamer-engineer. i used my napalm bomb.. then just burn the mobs down.. Groups of them. and if i was bored.. i started with my elixir gun instead to pull mobs together so i can aoe with flamer.

to gain so little ??? makes no sense, since elemental are light armor.. and low hp also.

So, ..hate to break it to you but.. you are probably the only person in this entire game that compares Engineers to Elementalists and comes away with the conclusion that the Engineer is way stronger.

it’s not that the Ele requires “so much work” for “so little impact”.. it’s that you play at a really low player-skill level so you don’t see the potential benefits of the “extra work”.

GamersWithJobs [GWJ]
Northern Shiverpeaks

in Elementalist

Posted by: Intigo.1653

Intigo.1653

Ok but…

1) 22 stacks of might
2) bonus food
3) fury

Sure ele doesn’t lack damage for sure, but the picture you’ve posted is misleading

I never said it wasn’t, it was just all the effort that I felt like putting into a reply when the original post was this wrong and uninformed.

Churning Earth is still one of, if not the strongest, hitting abilities in the game.

Also, it was 23 stacks and don’t forget the 25 Bloodlust stacks on top of that. Still had pretty bad gear back then, though.

80 Asura Elementalist – [Red Guard]
http://www.youtube.com/user/IntigoGW2

in Elementalist

Posted by: soistheman.7208

soistheman.7208

That’s acually one of the things i enjoy about the class, and tbh i don’t even think about it anymore, it’s like driving a stick shift.

Yup. I enjoy ele’s mechanic too and playing other classes seems too simple to me.

Elementalist lover since GW1. It’s the only profession I play!

in Elementalist

Posted by: Vanillea.5764

Vanillea.5764

Ok but…

1) 22 stacks of might
2) bonus food
3) fury

I never said it wasn’t, it was just all the effort that I felt like putting into a reply when the original post was this wrong and uninformed.

Churning Earth is still one of, if not the strongest, hitting abilities in the game.

Also, it was 23 stacks and don’t forget the 25 Bloodlust stacks on top of that. Still had pretty bad gear back then, though.

Churning Earth might have the big numbers. But if we are talking about massive damage in a single skill in a group, I would think Meteor Shower is probably the one. Each Meteor might crit for half the amount of CE but CE hits maximum 5 while meteor shower is capable of a much higher number. I don’t have any screenshot because everytime I finish casting MS, i am too busy going around collecting presents on the ground

in Elementalist

GrandmaFunk.3052

Churning Earth also has those nice 8 stacks of bleeding though so it might come down to your build(crit-based vs cnd-based) as to which causes more damage.

GamersWithJobs [GWJ]
Northern Shiverpeaks

in Elementalist

Posted by: titanlectro.5029

titanlectro.5029

More options = More buttons

If you see an elementalist as “look at how many buttons I have to press to do damage,” then you missed the point.

Think of it this way:
No matter what the situation is, you have a set of skills ready to use. It takes more buttons to have so many options available. But if you had less buttons, then you would not have those options. Complexity is the price you pay for flexibility.

Gate of Madness | Leader – Phoenix Ascendant [ASH]
Niniyl (Ele) | Barah (Eng) | Luthiyn (War) | Niennya (Thf)
This is my Trahearne’s story

in Elementalist

Posted by: sapphyredragon.6437

sapphyredragon.6437

I’m gonna just ignore all the previous replies, because some of them were just……. pointless?

I totally know what you mean. Everything that we have that does high damage is an AoE of some sort and can fairly easily be dodged. We advertise every move we make, so anyone with skill can avoid the high-damaging stuff. I use D/D and often have to rely on RtL/Updraft to just get an almost guaranteed hit. (Updraft will knock them down, then I can hit them. lol.)
Don’t get me wrong, my AoEs are great in a big battle, but 1v1 is much harder. It’d be easier to aim my cones and whatnot if the movement in the game was more smooth. Maybe it’s because I’m Norn, though. =/

in Elementalist

Posted by: Baladir.2736

Baladir.2736

It’s easy to aim the cones. 1) target the player 2) get in the other characters face. d/d has three skills that do that, two automatically. 3) take your finger keys off the movement keys and fire. The game will hit every time even if the target is moving. It will even instantaneoulsy swivel you 180 to hit a character behind you. If you already know this than please ignore the post, but then I dont know why you are having problems.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Kodiak.3281

Kodiak.3281

Personally I agree. They said they balance the thief’s damage around the fact it can remove boons and I know we sure as hell can’t remove boons so where’s our big damage? Both classes have survival through non traditional means (Ele has water healing and Thief has stealth with both supposed to have decent/good mobility).

Kodiak X – Blackgate

in Elementalist

sapphyredragon.6437

It’s easy to aim the cones. 1) target the player 2) get in the other characters face. d/d has three skills that do that, two automatically. 3) take your finger keys off the movement keys and fire. The game will hit every time even if the target is moving. It will even instantaneoulsy swivel you 180 to hit a character behind you. If you already know this than please ignore the post, but then I dont know why you are having problems.

No, that does not work for cones. Maybe if they have no speed bonuses, but most players do. Oh, wait are you talking PvE? Yeah, duh. PvE is easy.
Anyhow, when targeting another player with a cone, it usually drags a— behind them as they move.

Edit: Also, like I said, I do use Ride the Lightning for that. Maybe I’m having a brain fart, but what 3 moves are you talking about??

Edit: Oh, Magnetic Leap? That is a poor move to rely on as you have to get both off without being interrupted, blinded, etc.

(edited by sapphyredragon.6437)

in Elementalist

Posted by: Dingle.2743

Dingle.2743

Ok but…

1) 22 stacks of might
2) bonus food
3) fury

Churning Earth has the second highest damage single hit in the game; first place goes to Kill Shot, which deals roughly 15-17% more damage at equal stats; third place goes to Eviscerate, which deals roughly 6-7% less damage.

Churning Earth, however, takes twice as much time to cast compared to kill shot, which is already slow enough for anybody to deal with. That’s the same issue as most of the big hits elementalists have. It also has triple the cooldown time. Traits can boost the damage by around 50% total, though, and utilities can guarantee that it will crit, so it may be possible to build around it.

in Elementalist

Baladir.2736

Ok but…

1) 22 stacks of might
2) bonus food
3) fury

Churning Earth has the second highest damage single hit in the game; first place goes to Kill Shot, which deals roughly 15-17% more damage at equal stats; third place goes to Eviscerate, which deals roughly 6-7% less damage.

Churning Earth, however, takes twice as much time to cast compared to kill shot, which is already slow enough for anybody to deal with. That’s the same issue as most of the big hits elementalists have. It also has triple the cooldown time. Traits can boost the damage by around 50% total, though, and utilities can guarantee that it will crit, so it may be possible to build around it.

I generallly don’t have a problem landing Churning Earth. 1) RTL to target. 2) Change to Earth Attunement for Earthen Blast and a 3 sec cripple. The Sigil of Hydromancy may proc for a Frozen Blast if off cooldown 3)Earthquake for the damage and Knockdown. 4) Churning Earth for another cripple that stacks duration. 5) Pop Arcane Shield 6) Lightning Flash if it looks like he might get out of the aoe field. Fun for a suicide into a group too. More fun than running lol. Ceratinly more fun than stacking might.

Usually player(s) will try to hobble out. There are two or three, up to four conditions they have to clear to start running depending on how the player clears conditions.

Defendable? Sure, but usually not. Everything is defendable, but battle and players’ cooldowns are fluid. Their attention is often somewhere else for example. Condition removals are down. Nothing is perfect.

Earthen Blast and Sigil of Hydromancy are also great for running away. Best advice Monty Python every gave lol. Often the best course of action no matter how hard I try not to lol.

(edited by Baladir.2736)

in Elementalist

Posted by: TGSlasher.1458

TGSlasher.1458

My friend doesn’t play this game to much because all you have to do is press 2 buttons(he plays warrior). Then you watch him play wow, all he does is press 2 buttons, yet GW2 is somehow worse. Tell him about the Ele class and how much you have to do to get the same output as those 2 buttons and hes like, thats too much.

Slasher Sladorian – Charr Warrior – [DECM] | Sea of Sorrows
Sophea Sladorian – Charr Ranger – [DECM] | Sea of Sorrows
Sophea Of Elements – Human Elementalist – [DECM] | Sea of Sorrows

in Elementalist

Posted by: Marius.8052

Marius.8052

found this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gEDQ9cKh5gY

So.. shouldnt elemental.. like.. have alot stronger Direct dmg ?

So.. shouldnt elemental.. like.. have alot stronger Direct dmg ?A-nets official description of the class:
“Elementalists are multi-faceted spellcasters that channel elemental forces, making fire, air, earth, and water do their bidding. What they lack in physical toughness, they make up in versatility and the ability to inflict massive damage in a single attack.”

You should try this game instead:

http://tinyurl.com/2kwnht

in Elementalist

Posted by: dagrdagaz.4913

dagrdagaz.4913

tl;dr

I fully agree with the OP that the vid shows how bad complicated Elementalist is atm.
At the end of the vid the player/narrator even sais the Elementalist works best in groups where others can take the heat off of the Ele. Wich sais enough about how bad (not good) the Ele is at survival.

in Elementalist

GrandmaFunk.3052

I generallly don’t have a problem landing Churning Earth. 1) RTL to target. 2) Change to Earth Attunement for Earthen Blast and a 3 sec cripple. The Sigil of Hydromancy may proc for a Frozen Blast if off cooldown 3)Earthquake for the damage and Knockdown. 4) Churning Earth for another cripple that stacks duration.

Ya that’s pretty much my process too… best way to make contact with a group, especially if they weren’t paying attention.

GamersWithJobs [GWJ]
Northern Shiverpeaks

in Elementalist

Posted by: Scrambles.2604

Scrambles.2604

More options = More buttons

If you see an elementalist as “look at how many buttons I have to press to do damage,” then you missed the point.

Think of it this way:
No matter what the situation is, you have a set of skills ready to use. It takes more buttons to have so many options available. But if you had less buttons, then you would not have those options. Complexity is the price you pay for flexibility.

QFT.

Ele is not a bad class, you just get out what you put into it.

(edited by Scrambles.2604)

in Elementalist

Posted by: Kardiamond.6952

Kardiamond.6952

@eldain stenlund

You took engineer, used the simplest build around, and think we are more efficient then a well played Elem?

I think you missed the point.

If you want to play engineer at 100% efficiency, you will be swaping kit each 2-4 second. That’s like playing an Elementalist without swapping attunement.

The different between Elem and Engineer is engineer have some low skill cap floor build. But both class have a really high skill celling.

You should prolly play a guardian or a warrior.

Elem and Engineer are for people that want to works hard during fights. I don’t think I auto attacked more then once during a fight. And I love it.

Rotthen (Necro) / Zhyx (Engineer) /Inglorious Beasterd (Ranger)
Server : Anvil Rock (Since Release!) [SOLO]

in Elementalist

Posted by: Ozoug.4158

Ozoug.4158

I’ve been playing a might stack ele, and I find the same thing. Even with 25 stacks of might the damage isn’t good. A lot of the AEs are long cast times and easy to dodge.

I’m trying to find a good ranged class for this game, but there doesn’t really seem to be one.

The only problem I have with staff ele is that I get my kitten kicked in melee range. That’s how it should be. But then I don’t kick kitten at ranged. The damage is just to slow, to little, and misses too easily.

I am really effective at putting lava fonts on downed people though :/

GW2: A-E-I-O-U and sometimes Yzoug.
DaoC: R11 Skald

in Elementalist

sapphyredragon.6437

In my opinion, Fire and Earth are centered on AoE, so it doesn’t bother me that they aren’t very powerful against a single-target, but I think we should have a stronger single-target attack in Air and Water to make up for it.

I read a post on another thread where someone suggested that they should have AoE attacks perform slightly differently. For example, have it do 3k damage total and if it hits multiple targets, the damage is split between them. However, I think they would have to add a total damage multiplier per person. So maybe it’d look more like this: 3k damage if it hits one person, 4.5k split between two people, 6k for 3 people, 7.5k for 4 people, etc. Then it’d be stronger for a single target AND it would be less powerful (damage per person) against more than 3ish.

Obviously a very rough idea, though. lol.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Marius.8052

Marius.8052

You guys are right, ele’s suck. Here’s proof:

in Elementalist

Posted by: Minion of Vey.4398

Minion of Vey.4398

I take issue with a lot of things about the ele profession, but doing a lot of work with them is the main appeal to eles funwise, for me anyway.

Other professions are a snooze festival, including engineers.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Vicarious.3047

Vicarious.3047

Ele complaining about not being powerful enough?

It’s like Frost Mages all over again!!!!!! I thought I had escaped that kind of player when I quit WoW!!!!!!

:(

in Elementalist

Posted by: phandaria.4891

phandaria.4891

I take issue with a lot of things about the ele profession, but doing a lot of work with them is the main appeal to eles funwise, for me anyway.

Other professions are a snooze festival, including engineers.

This.

in Elementalist

sapphyredragon.6437

Ele complaining about not being powerful enough?

It’s like Frost Mages all over again!!!!!! I thought I had escaped that kind of player when I quit WoW!!!!!!

:(

Ok, that’s a bit of an exaggeration. I take offense to that! Totally different!
We could definitely use more powerful single-target stuff. Frost Mages in WoW were straight broken.

(edited by sapphyredragon.6437)

in Elementalist

Posted by: ThiBash.5634

ThiBash.5634

Maybe we will get a way to have a permanent elemental summon too then someday.

Would be interesting concept…a signet version of the summons. Though maybe better not on the elementalist…

If you can read this then it is proof that ArenaNet’s moderators just, kind and fair.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Lillian Wandom Hale.7102

Lillian Wandom Hale.7102

I don’t know what’s the OP complaining about ….

Sure we have many skills, but it’s not like most of them even work or are worth casting
Just don’t use broken skills (~50%) and you’re good to go

I never die in WW or SPvP because I only stay in Staff Fire, Spamm AutoAttack and MS, and Carry signet of Air for movement speed …that’s it
You are fast, have 2 evades and Fire4 …you’re safe

(edited by Lillian Wandom Hale.7102)

in Elementalist

sapphyredragon.6437

Maybe we will get a way to have a permanent elemental summon too then someday.

Would be interesting concept…a signet version of the summons. Though maybe better not on the elementalist…

I’d be slightly satisfied if they reduced the cooldown on the Glyph of Elementals or just made it work differently. I don’t understand why the cooldown doesn’t start until my Elemental is dead. That is weird. Honestly, I almost feel like I’m cheating when I use the Elemental, though. I prefer to win on my own merit, y’know?
Unfortunately, it’s the only elite skill available that I actually like.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Vicarious.3047

Vicarious.3047

Ok, that’s a bit of an exaggeration. I take offense to that! Totally different!
We could definitely use more powerful single-target stuff. Frost Mages in WoW were straight broken.

Ok, the frost mage comparison might be a bit of an over exaggeration, especially since Anet isn’t catering to Eles like Blizz does with those OP mages lol

But their single target damage is pretty freaking high, MANY tPvP teams I’ve come across have switched out their burst thieves or 100B warriors cause their D/D eles burst just as much but can survive a thousand times longer.

Ofc those D/D eles have to sacrifice Aura sharing, which in it’s own right is extremely freaking powerful lol

in Elementalist

sapphyredragon.6437

Ok, the frost mage comparison might be a bit of an over exaggeration, especially since Anet isn’t catering to Eles like Blizz does with those OP mages lol

But their single target damage is pretty freaking high, MANY tPvP teams I’ve come across have switched out their burst thieves or 100B warriors cause their D/D eles burst just as much but can survive a thousand times longer.

Ofc those D/D eles have to sacrifice Aura sharing, which in it’s own right is extremely freaking powerful lol

I know for a fact the D/D eles can’t burst that high. Unless you are counting the added damage from a Fire Elemental, which I still don’t think adds up to that much.

Either way, the problem is more or less our DPS, not burst damage. Burst damage isn’t all that helpful when you have really long cooldowns and nothing to make up for it. Our “burst damage” is also generally easier to evade than most classes.

Also, yeah, the other classes don’t generally have to “sacrifice” to get high burst damge. =/

in Elementalist

Posted by: eldain stenlund.4306

eldain stenlund.4306

(i have: ranger, warrior, guardian, engineer at lvl 80 sofar).
and lvling: Thief, mesmer, elemental, necro.

I have tried all weapon skills for the elemental.

Staff: realy kitteny weapon overall. might work to support some wvw.
but thats about it. realy low dmg. have 2 attacks that CAN actually hit people.
auto (#1) (if they dont move too much).. and the instant cast fire dot (#3).
rest is only usefull in wvw to attack a keep. or defending one.
pure crap weapon skills.

Scepter: another bad weapon. overall, very very low dmg on everything.

dagger: Umm, first of all, your a caster, light armor, lowest hp.. you shouldnt be in melee in the first place. design = total stupidity.

1. skill doesnt hit a kitten thing if things are moving… and when you DO hit. you get 1 hit out of the 3. = very very low dmg again.

And forcing people to switch elements… just the worst thing i have ever seen in a class design.
“use X skill there,, switch, use x x skills there, switch, use x skill there, switch.”.. repeat.

and no, there is no way in hell you use everything.

and no. i dont think elemental have a higher skill cap than the other classes.
in fact, a class with few choises is alot harder to master right.
as you have so little to use. you have to perfect it.

but with elemental, you have 4 elements and 5 attacks on each = 20 skills.
20 skills, that still doesnt do the same as the other classes with fewer skills. (8).
the only hard part here,, is to try and find the only 5 usefull attacks.
But, sadly they are all in different elements… making it just a realy terrible class overall.

If you want a challenge to play with many buttons to push.
(you ppl sound like kinds in a science lab. “woonder what this button do…”
Go play Swtor. and a warrior class there. 25+ buttons. atleast..

I played juggernaut.. so i can handle buttons.
But this elemental class.. is just terrible in design.

oh,, and another realy realy bad thing with elemental.
when you use say: autocast #1 on fire, and you are to fast to use #3 right after..

1. gets overridden… so you only get the #3. and its the same for all other elements also wich have some casting time. (most do).

I read the rumor of elemental might get another weapon slot..
i DO hope its a dps weapon.

in Elementalist

ThiBash.5634

sapphyredragon.6437

I’d be slightly satisfied if they reduced the cooldown on the Glyph of Elementals or just made it work differently. I don’t understand why the cooldown doesn’t start until my Elemental is dead. That is weird. Honestly, I almost feel like I’m cheating when I use the Elemental, though. I prefer to win on my own merit, y’know?
Unfortunately, it’s the only elite skill available that I actually like.

You misunderstand the skill. The fact that the cooldown starts as soon as the elemental goes down, is a bonus. In essence, if the elemental goes down early, the recharge of the skills is lowered.

Compare it to the Asura Golem. The golem has a recharge of 180 seconds, that starts as soon as it is summoned. If the golem dies after 10 seconds, you still have 170 seconds to go before it’s ready.

Glyph of Elementals also has a recharge of 180 seconds: 60 seconds during which the elemental is alive, and 120 seconds during which it is not. However, the 120 seconds will start as soon as it goes down, so if the elemental lasts for only 10 seconds, the total recharge will be 130 seconds, instead of the full 180.

If you can read this then it is proof that ArenaNet’s moderators just, kind and fair.

in Elementalist

sapphyredragon.6437

That makes sense. I do prefer that. However, I was quite disappointed when I first realized that it wasn’t a 120 second cooldown that starts immediately. lol.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Scarn.1703

Scarn.1703

haha win.

in Elementalist

ThiBash.5634

sapphyredragon.6437

No problem. I can understand the confusion, as it’s not a very clear effect.

in Elementalist

Posted by: majortato.7125

majortato.7125

Staff: realy kitteny weapon overall. might work to support some wvw.
but thats about it. realy low dmg. have 2 attacks that CAN actually hit people.
auto (#1) (if they dont move too much).. and the instant cast fire dot (#3).
rest is only usefull in wvw to attack a keep. or defending one.
pure crap weapon skills.

Learn to use the skills..they’re useful

• many combo fields
  • great range – for group play, sometimes you can sit in a spot and barely move and just focus on DPS
  • all auto attacks do decent dmg
  • each atunement has its place…in most cases, you want to do a lot more than just straight up dmg and that’s where the other skills come in.

dagger: Umm, first of all, your a caster, light armor, lowest hp.. you shouldnt be in melee in the first place. design = total stupidity.

1. skill doesnt hit a kitten thing if things are moving… and when you DO hit. you get 1 hit out of the 3. = very very low dmg again.

Are you serious? #1 skill is extremely easy to hit with. Most skills in D/D is pretty easy to hit with unless you really suck. A lot of skills don’t require me to even be facing the enemy. If you play like a tank guardian or warrior, then you’ll die. You have to move in and out and weave. You also provide a ton of CC. You can’t get hit, but that’s why you have all those skills to aid you in not getting hit.

And forcing people to switch elements… just the worst thing i have ever seen in a class design.
“use X skill there,, switch, use x x skills there, switch, use x skill there, switch.”.. repeat.
kitten why do you design to put in useless skills in the first place ?..
and no, there is no way in hell you use everything.

It’s not boring auto attack class like some of the others. Sorry if your ability is limited to spamming 2 keys over and over again and keeping your character pointed at the enemy. And yes, I do use everything.

and no. i dont think elemental have a higher skill cap than the other classes.
in fact, a class with few choises is alot harder to master right.
as you have so little to use. you have to perfect it.

This is the stupidest thing I’ve heard. There’s not much ability involved in targeting an enemy and auto attacking.

in Elementalist

Posted by: majortato.7125

majortato.7125

but with elemental, you have 4 elements and 5 attacks on each = 20 skills.
20 skills, that still doesnt do the same as the other classes with fewer skills. (8).
the only hard part here,, is to try and find the only 5 usefull attacks.
But, sadly they are all in different elements… making it just a realy terrible class overall.

You don’t understand the class, it doesn’t suit your playing style, and you obviously don’t have the skills necessary to play the class correctly. All 20 skills are useful. The hardest part is picking the right skill for the right situation, managing CDs, managing timing, combos, and being creative. I’ll list the skills in D/D and show you how they work.

• Fire 1 – used in the time between setting up for your attack combos
  • Fire 2 – easy to hit, does good DPS
  • Fire 3 – enemy engage – also useful for getting away. Great DPS, sets up combo field
  • Fire 4 – can hit lots of enemies without having to worry about targeting. Great for use while weaving. combo field
  • Fire 5 – DPS
  • Air 1 – high DPS auto attack
  • Air 2 – blind – useful
  • Air 3 – good shield, stuns attackers
  • Air 4 – great for travel, great for engagement, great for getting away…one of the best skills in the game
  • Air 5 – adds swiftness and knockback – another one of the most useful skills in the game. Gives time to setup high DPS bursts and combos…also useful for fleeing
  • Earth 1 – easy to target, deals great damage
  • Earth 2 – inflicts bleed – probably the only skill I don’t use that often
  • Earth 3 – insane range, roots enemies, great for engagement, proj. finisher
  • Earth 4 – great knockdown, blast finisher
  • Earth 5 – insane dmg, blast finisher…if you have your enemies stunned/knocked down, the long cast time is not an issue.
  • Water 1 – longer range than the other auto attacks – useful when distance is needed
  • Water 2 – chills, DPS, healing- useful for CC
  • Water 3 – great for CC and getting away
  • Water 4 – useful shield
  • Water 5 – good AoE heal

So here’s an example of how to use those skills together. Air 4 to engage, air 5 to knock down and roll out. Fire 3 to re-engage with big dmg. Fire 4 for combo field and Fire 5 for dmg. Earth 4, 5 to stack might and finish while enemies are down. At this point, everything is probably dead…otherwise, switch to water for healing and CC if desired. This is one of many possible combos that can be done. Situation awareness and creativity is key.

You’re right..the warrior could achieve the same dmg with spamming 1 or 2 skills, but that’s boring. The total DPS output is also lower than a properly played ele. Give 2 newbies warrior and ele and the warrior will win. Give 2 veterans a warrior and ele and the ele will win.

If you want a challenge to play with many buttons to push.
(you ppl sound like kinds in a science lab. “woonder what this button do…”
Go play Swtor. and a warrior class there. 25+ buttons. atleast..

It’s not about lots of buttons…it’s about lots of skills that all meet specific needs, understanding those skills, understanding your opponents and knowing which can be used and combined in many different ways to achieve certain results. It’s about understanding, strategy and control…..not buttons.

oh,, and another realy realy bad thing with elemental.
when you use say: autocast #1 on fire, and you are to fast to use #3 right after..

1. gets overridden… so you only get the #3. and its the same for all other elements also wich have some casting time. (most do).

Again, this is just lack of skill. You can’t just button mash and hope for results like you can a warrior. So much is timing. That’s what makes it challenging/fun.

in Elementalist

Baladir.2736

……..dagger: Umm, first of all, your a caster, light armor, lowest hp.. you shouldnt be in melee in the first place. design = total stupidity………

I get this. I really do. The class is not like any other, anywhere. I had a hard time playing the necro and finally dropped it because I did not like the concept of the class. I just couldn’t get into it. It is just plain weird to me, stupid as you say. Design wise I hear a good necro can do quite well.

The design of the elementalist is superb too. The proof is in the success that yes we can get in melee range and do exceptionallly well. In light armor. With a little ittty bitty dagger. Must just drive you crazy lol.