solo PvE elementalist

solo PvE elementalist

in Elementalist

Posted by: Nimrud.5642

Nimrud.5642

Hello guys,

I am/was looking for a decent solo PvE class. And for several reasons I’ve found the mesmer class a viable option. Here’s the topic I created on the mesmer forums:

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/professions/mesmer/My-PvE-roamer/first#post3766224

And then I see this other topic about ‘mesmer vs ele’ – the usual dilemma, that is asked every so often:

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/professions/mesmer/Getting-back-into-GW2-new-alt-Mes-or-Ele/first#post3766245

Where a guy says:

‘if u like roaming them mes will be more fun, but mes lacks group abilities and aoe and non ai traits and multi target skills…’

If this statement is true, then this unquestionably decides the choice between ele and mesmer for solo PvE. However – as I’ve read – elementalists do not really excel in solo PvE… So my question is: Does ‘not exceling’ mean that it requires more skill to be as effective as a warrior for example, or does it mean that no matter how skilled you are playing an ele is solo PvE will always be harder, slower and less effective than other classes?

I’m not keen on any class. I’m just looking for a class that has great mobility, good tagging capability, and good self reliance, preferably ranged. No thief (I main one), no warrior (great mobility and survivability, but longbow is not the best for tagging because multi target attacks have CD), no guardian (poor mobility). So it comes down to the remaining 5 classes. (Got a ranger already, but her damage seems to suck big time. However I’m still open to suggestions on that class as well so I’m not excuding it yet.)

Being on the ele forums I expect mostly ele-realted answers, but ofc feel free to make suggestions on any other class.

Ty

enthusiastic noob

solo PvE elementalist

in Elementalist

Posted by: FrownyClown.8402

FrownyClown.8402

Ele is primarily all zerker in pve and harder to play

Bad Elementalist

solo PvE elementalist

in Elementalist

Nimrud.5642

Ele is primarily all zerker in pve and harder to play

It isnt neccesarily a problem. The question is that how effective is an ele when played to its max potential. Having a steep learning curve is not a problem, but being limited by the class is. I dont mind the effort to learn a class, but I do mind the effort to waste it on a class that gives less in return than others. Keep in mind pls, that this is only for solo PvE and world-events.

Ty

enthusiastic noob

solo PvE elementalist

in Elementalist

Posted by: xallever.1874

xallever.1874

Ele’s Staff #5 is pretty awesome for tagging.

You’re right in that Mesmers struggle a lil bit more for tagging.

I’m confused, though. It sounded to me you were talking about pve as in open world content and then pve as wvw. Which one do you mean?

For open world, Mesmers have clones as pets to tank so it’s very self reliant.

On the other hand, Ele can summon two earth elementals to tank.

solo PvE elementalist

in Elementalist

Nimrud.5642

Ele’s Staff #5 is pretty awesome for tagging.

You’re right in that Mesmers struggle a lil bit more for tagging.

I’m confused, though. It sounded to me you were talking about pve as in open world content and then pve as wvw. Which one do you mean?

For open world, Mesmers have clones as pets to tank so it’s very self reliant.

On the other hand, Ele can summon two earth elementals to tank.

Sorry if I was confusing. My main focus would be solo PvE, world bosses, gathering/farming. No pvp, no dungeons. Only open-world content.

enthusiastic noob

solo PvE elementalist

in Elementalist

xallever.1874

Oh, right. Well, besides Tequatl, world bosses aren’t tough to begin with. I guess you have in mind something like the Scarlet Assault events.

Lava Font has a very low CD and it’s AoE. Staff #5 is huge, useful for tagging but not spammable. If these two aren’t enough, you can use Arcane Brilliance, Arcane Blast, Ice Bow 4 & 3, and the infamous FGS, LH auto-attack, LH 4…

Mesmer… Sword auto-cleave, sword #2, clone shatters, greatsword phantasm, chaos storm… So, I think we have a clear winner here.

solo PvE elementalist

in Elementalist

xallever.1874

Oh, besides, Mesmers… Are a bit tricky in terms of mobility. You can either go for Sup Rune of Traveler’s for perma 25%, focus 4 for occasional swiftness and blink. Or use Sup Rune of Air / Centaur for extra swiftness but requires you to constantly use your heals. If you didn’t like Guardian’s mobility, you probably won’t be too fond of Mesmer’s either.

For Ele, you can just simply activate Signet of Air, or use your swiftness staff combos (Earth 2, Air 5, Arcane Brilliance, Arcane Wave, Air 4, go back and forth between attunements to keep going back to air) and it’s more or less perma-swiftness.

solo PvE elementalist

in Elementalist

Nimrud.5642

Oh, besides, Mesmers… Are a bit tricky in terms of mobility. You can either go for Sup Rune of Traveler’s for perma 25%, focus 4 for occasional swiftness and blink. Or use Sup Rune of Air / Centaur for extra swiftness but requires you to constantly use your heals. If you didn’t like Guardian’s mobility, you probably won’t be too fond of Mesmer’s either.

For Ele, you can just simply activate Signet of Air, or use your swiftness staff combos (Earth 2, Air 5, Arcane Brilliance, Arcane Wave, Air 4, go back and forth between attunements to keep going back to air) and it’s more or less perma-swiftness.

Ty so much for the answer, ele class wont my heart. I’m gone leveling. Ty once more.

enthusiastic noob