to all eles who hate underwater combat

in Elementalist

Posted by: Jay wilson.1702

Jay wilson.1702

have you tryed using the water 5 skills it usally brings down people hp to 1/4 then go fire the Finnish him off

in Elementalist

Posted by: Aretas.8370

Aretas.8370

That skill is a tricky one, you have to face in the right direction and from a right distance to have it hit like truck or you will only see misses. It seems the enemies take the most damage if they are near the end position of your rush.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Loic.4367

Loic.4367

Granted, this skill can be incredibly strong. If you happen to find an opponent with their back against a wall or are on the seafloor, casting it and dealing all the damage by being stationary is absolutely brutal. Can take out the majority of a veteran mob’s health if not outright killing them.

But like Aretas said, it’s a tricky skill to use. Very hard to aim, and typically casting it will end up with you seeing maybe two hits and, like, a bazillion misses. Good skill, but rarely worth the cast.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Rainshine.5493

Rainshine.5493

I don’t really understand the point of this thread. “Have you tried this skill that’s always on your bar?” Is there really anyone out there that’s never used this skill?

Ruse Torrent (elementalist) on JQ
trixnotes tumblr: quick hits of lore | personal tumblr (some other GW2 stuff)

in Elementalist

Posted by: Anlyon.8375

Anlyon.8375

Water is crazy strong underwater.

The wall explodes for like 2k, the ball explodes for like 1.5k, and like you say, the charge can oneshot people (or objects) if they are against the floor/wall

You have nothing to fear but Fear itself

in Elementalist

Posted by: SAI Peregrinus.8410

SAI Peregrinus.8410

Tip: Place the wall. Charge into them & the wall. THEN explode the wall.

Not always possible/easy, but the wall is not just there to explode.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Wulfrim.4793

Wulfrim.4793

I don’t understand why everyone complains how poorly elementalist functions underwater. I find them to be immensly powerful. Whirlpool/Tornado does INSANE damage. I usually pull like 4-5 monsters, cast armor of earth and arcane shield, switch to water attunement for regeneration and transform. It will kill them all. When its on cooldown switching between attunements like you do on land does a lot of damage. Start in water, hit them with 2, 3 and 5 if you are positioned. Switch to fire, drop 2 and 5. Switch to earth, drop the bleeds and anchor. Switch to lightning and finish them at point blank range. I’ve never had troubles in water, except against those ridiculous champion mega-jaws things, but theres a way around fighting them head on that I wont discuss on this forum.

Kara Bune – Elementalist 80 – Tarnished Coast
Katniss Shade – Necromancer 80 – sPvp rank – 29
Emma Wolfsbane – Thief 80 – Looking for Guild

in Elementalist

Posted by: Rack.4930

Rack.4930

What I tend to notice is if they aren’t against the wall that sequence will take an enemy from full health to 98% health. At which point since you’ve moved they’ll become invulnerable and reset to full health.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Sarisa.4731

Sarisa.4731

Remember that for over half the released game time, Whirlpool did NOT function in PvE. It was enabled for PvP only.

Lille of the Valley [WHIP]

in Elementalist

Posted by: Rooen.5317

Rooen.5317

The only time I have a bit of trouble underwater is how different it is to move and dodge. At low level you are pretty squishy and thing’s hit hard. If you stay away from everything can chain well enough water can do amazing amounts of damage.

But the hit issue is the trouble with all casters, being very powerful by weak bodied. Just happens. The wall is amazing when used correctly. I find it best to pop it off to dodge while an enemy is rearing back for a powerful attack then locking them down with a bubble or sink and then setting it off. Timing is everything with all the spells.

Rooen Dahlbeck | Asura | Elementalist
Lvl 50+ | Norther Shiverpeaks | Cook/Artif

in Elementalist

Posted by: Kpop.7621

Kpop.7621

It’s not complete fail but overall it’s incredibly lackluster and weak compared to other professions. It took me getting level 80 gear and going back to do earlier content in order for it to really be viable. Water is the only real exception and as others have mentioned Water-5 is tricky to pull off, especially in a 3d fighting environment where you can be swarmed by krait and everything else. And I find Fire oddly weaker than just spamming Air-1 and Air-2 (at melee range).

in Elementalist

Posted by: DreadShinobi.4751

DreadShinobi.4751

Water 5 needs to work like Warrior’s Spear 5. Which is essentially the same thing, except the Warrior charge is target based and will latch on to an enemy so it doesn’t require a wall/seafloor, it’s hilariously better.

Kiiban -lvl 80 Elementalist
Sacaen -lvl 80 Warrior

in Elementalist

Posted by: Wasselin.1235

Wasselin.1235

I hate water 5 because of how far you travel. Yes it does great damage when it connects for all the hits, but it also can fling you into even more mobs. My biggest problem underwater is that I feel like I can’t move an inch without aggroing the entire ocean.

“Please find my dear friends… Dead or Alive” -redmakoto

in Elementalist

Posted by: Sarisa.4731

Sarisa.4731

During my run to 100% map completion, I really disliked water combat, and would dread having to do another underwater heart. I don’t mind it as MUCH now, but I still prefer land combat over water.

A large part of this was that Whirlpool did NOT function in PvE until I was over 90% done the world, and already capped.

Another large part is that certain attacks will miss for unknown mysterious reasons. Electric 1, for instance, along with some other skills have trouble hitting objects and mobs on the bottom unless you’re in exactly the right place. Trying to hit poison spewing urchins that are blocking the way to a skill point can be frustrating.

The “I moved 2 feet, now I’ll reset!” issue was a bit less prevalent when I was doing the majority of my levelling as compared to now. This is an issue that needs fixed.

The aggro range issues can also be frustrating, especially when your best skills can cause you to travel into another group’s range.

It also took a bit longer for me to adjust to it than most (male) players, as depth perception and sensing exactly where I am spatially doesn’t come quite as naturally. Water 5 is a bit tough for me to judge exactly my distance from a mob, and how far I will travel. I’ve had several times (even still) where I’m just a little off on my aim, and using the skill sends me flying and doing no damage, or I launch from too far away or too close, and waste most or all of the damage potential.

Surprise pulls (from Risen or Krait who aggro from behind) and water 3’s teleport also momentarily disorient me and it can take a second or two to figure out where I am.

Ele’s have a few nice bursts (Whirlpool, water 5), some excellent CC (earth 4 and 5, electric 4 and 5, water 3 and 4, fire 3), and good support. The problem is that when those bursts are on timer, and you don’t need the CC at the moment, combat feels weak and time consuming.

Lille of the Valley [WHIP]

in Elementalist

Posted by: Jungle Quack.1368

Jungle Quack.1368

I have a problem with my Ele underwater just strait up failing to hit enemies with attacks. Its very aggravating.

It happens regardless of how close I am, of even if the enemy is moving or not.

in Elementalist

Rainshine.5493

Whirlpool does do great damage (sure wish my bar wasn’t blank and I wasn’t invisible, though). It’s not an excuse to make the rest of the skills lackluster, though.

The fact that a lot of skills make you travel is also problematic for me; maybe it really is just a personal problem, but in densely-packed areas something like Tidal Wave /Air Pocket can hurt more than help, because it shoots me into the aggro range of other stuff.

in Elementalist

Posted by: wertyuio.8630

wertyuio.8630

IMO, elementalist is the only class with a set of underwater skills more practical than on-land skills. (yes, staff, i’m looking at you)

it certainly deals as much, if not more, damage in 1v1 than staff.

in Elementalist

Rainshine.5493

I disagree, I can use skill combos to up my staff DPS considerably (as well as support). I really, really miss my combos underwater.