which build for open world?

in Elementalist

Posted by: Amaranthe.3578

Amaranthe.3578

which build are you guys using in open world HoT maps ?
i find that going full zerk with the full dps build is too squishy

in Elementalist

Posted by: reikken.4961

reikken.4961

my go to recommendation is a tanky burning build. does excellent damage without being squishy. Use tanky condi gear, runes of balthazar, and glyph of elemental power. easy mode

I don’t like tanky power builds because they don’t do much damage.

(edited by reikken.4961)

in Elementalist

Posted by: bearshaman.3421

bearshaman.3421

my go to recommendation is a tanky burning build. does excellent damage without being squishy. Use tanky condi gear, runes of balthazar, and glyph of elemental power. easy mode

probably fire/earth/arcane or water, and Rabid stats I’m guessing. (toughness for tankiness, condi for burns and bleeds, and precision to proc additional conditions.

in Elementalist

Posted by: AliamRationem.5172

AliamRationem.5172

I like d/d celestial earth/air/tempest myself. It feels pretty invincible in open world.

in Elementalist

reikken.4961

probably fire/earth/arcane or water, and Rabid stats I’m guessing. (toughness for tankiness, condi for burns and bleeds, and precision to proc additional conditions.

ele’s crit procs are weak and on long cooldowns, so precision isn’t very useful. I skip it in favor some some vitality. Ele’s low health pool makes vitality really nice. and if you’re running water, throw in some healing power too.

(edited by reikken.4961)

in Elementalist

Posted by: bearshaman.3421

bearshaman.3421

ele’s crit procs are weak and on long cooldowns, so precision isn’t very useful. I skip it in favor some some vitality. Ele’s low health pool makes vitality really nice. and if you’re running water, throw in some healing power too.

So Dire or Trailblazer then?

in Elementalist

reikken.4961

sure
dire fire/earth/tempest is a good build

in Elementalist

Posted by: mbhalo.1547

mbhalo.1547

I run meta zerk build when i’m focused and switch to my wvw soldier set when i’m watching something on the other monitor After some time you learn to dodge and open world is really easy even in full glass cannon mode.

in Elementalist

reikken.4961

hard to dodge 6 Coztic archers at a time tho

in Elementalist

Posted by: Ghataka.1604

Ghataka.1604

Like reikken said, a lot of people have been using tanky condi ele for open world during years, for a reason. It’s open world, you want to clear trash quickly and that means FACEROLL.

Put on a full dire set, baltazar runes and fire/earth/arcana, you’ll be getting 5k burns in a couple of seconds, burning so fast in aoe allows you to clear trash mobs faster than power builds, i talk from experience.

In fact recently i found it happened the same with warrior, when running in open world i kill like a 50% faster with a rabid set than with full zerker GS, and that’s thanks to the brainless faceroll (and the fact it’s burns and not just bleedings like necro ofc).

in Elementalist

Posted by: Mahou.3924

Mahou.3924

Do you refer mainly to Burning Precision in your first sentence? As I can’t find any other crit procs on a long cooldown, so that’d be a neat nice-to-know aspect. In that regard, the build build would be something like http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vFAQJArYhUMouhlNwoB0RsIAYut2ZbudIGsDKCBBgCwDA-ThxCwAn2fopyPIKBfpFAwJAwn6PAA-e, I guess.

in Elementalist

reikken.4961

Do you refer mainly to Burning Precision in your first sentence? As I can’t find any other crit procs on a long cooldown, so that’d be a neat nice-to-know aspect.

burning precision, and arcane precision

Those are ele’s only crit procs, and they are on significant cooldowns. And the cooldown is not per-target. Even if you hit several enemies at once, you can only burn one of them at a time. Because of these things you’ll get most of the maximum potential just by having fury. And even if you had 100% crit chance and 100% burn duration, the maximum is 1.4 burn stacks across all targets. Compare to mesmer, ranger, rev, necro, warrior, engineer, all of which have on crit traits that have no cooldown and therefore scale linearly with precision.

It might be fine to throw a little precision into your build, especially if you don’t have good fury uptime, but you get severely diminishing returns.

(edited by reikken.4961)

in Elementalist

Posted by: Wolfric.9380

Wolfric.9380

in Elementalist

Posted by: Zen Later.6475

Zen Later.6475

I usually run around fresh air. It’s just soooo much fun plus if you run into random folks or in a team, who doesn’t love the non-stop buffs that help everyone mow down everything?