why is tempest so bad?

why is tempest so bad?

in Elementalist

Posted by: Wolfric.9380

Wolfric.9380

I always said instead of the swiftness give a tait like cronomancer baseline speed…. Would make tempest at least more comftable when running around …
Also i don´t use water overload due to the 5s delay.
And yes scepter calls for better auto attacks for eons ^^. Not much but ….

I would go an enormous step. But guess after release tis would be to far.
I would give tempest a weapon swap within one element (the first traited). This triggers the elements swap. But loose ele swap completeley. For overcharges only 20s wait remains and it does not hinder wp swap. You are always in the same element Swap time maybe 5-6 s.
But this would be very diffeent. I would love it. ;-).
Like you take fire, put staff and d/d in. F1 is your overlaod and you can swap Staff / d/d all 6s always staying in fire.

(edited by Wolfric.9380)

why is tempest so bad?

in Elementalist

Posted by: Kraiz.6720

Kraiz.6720

I personally think the new spec is great. I have tried it only in PVE and some WVW but so far so good. The Dagger/Warhorn i found to be the most fun and destructive to play with. The Staff was good in massive aoe fights where getting close was a hassle. The Scepter/Warhorn is ok, wouldn’t do PVP/WVW with it though. I’m yet to try D/D or pvp with any builds.

I’m hearing a lot of “we just wait for overload and stay in attunement”. I disagree with that entirely, especially in the Dagger/Warhorn build. Lets remember we are Elementalists, the jack of all trades. If your just tapping 1,2,3 in air spec and waiting for overload…. tut, tut. I’m sure there is more you can be doing then waiting to use something. Im very rarely in the same spec for much longer than 1 overload, if i even use it.

Survivability is a lot higher, in my near full Zerker gear. The constant heals from auras is nice and it seems like i have almost perma-fury. Of course i speced into the auras and i am liking it nicely. I’m hearing a lot of hate about the tempest but i think ppl just need to open there minds a bit more and use there own brains. Not wait for a build that is spoon fed to them and told “this is best, use it or gtfo” Theres lots of flexibility now, be creative and remember to enjoy this great game.

why is tempest so bad?

in Elementalist

Posted by: Senario.2038

Senario.2038

I personally think the new spec is great. I have tried it only in PVE and some WVW but so far so good. The Dagger/Warhorn i found to be the most fun and destructive to play with. The Staff was good in massive aoe fights where getting close was a hassle. The Scepter/Warhorn is ok, wouldn’t do PVP/WVW with it though. I’m yet to try D/D or pvp with any builds.

I’m hearing a lot of “we just wait for overload and stay in attunement”. I disagree with that entirely, especially in the Dagger/Warhorn build. Lets remember we are Elementalists, the jack of all trades. If your just tapping 1,2,3 in air spec and waiting for overload…. tut, tut. I’m sure there is more you can be doing then waiting to use something. Im very rarely in the same spec for much longer than 1 overload, if i even use it.

Survivability is a lot higher, in my near full Zerker gear. The constant heals from auras is nice and it seems like i have almost perma-fury. Of course i speced into the auras and i am liking it nicely. I’m hearing a lot of hate about the tempest but i think ppl just need to open there minds a bit more and use there own brains. Not wait for a build that is spoon fed to them and told “this is best, use it or gtfo” Theres lots of flexibility now, be creative and remember to enjoy this great game.

Always with the blanket statements of “If they don’t like it they aren’t opening their minds” Warhorn is very lackluster compared to its offhand counterparts and while you say you can stay in an attunement for 5 seconds I find that hard to believe as an Ele will drop their 2 and 3 skills and 4 and 5 very fast if they are up. If you were using dagger you would be waiting forever with less damage doing dagger fire/water 2. Air being the only one with a decent auto attack you would usually finish all of your skills before overload was even up.

If you were using scepter as a main hand you would not be auto attacking as switching attunements would do more dps than auto attacking and waiting for overload to be up.

Literally the only reason ppl take tempest in PvP right now is not because of overloads because honestly they are easy to interrupt and easy to just get out of the way from if somehow you were taking too much damage. The reason is that Invigorating torrents+grandmaster heal on aura+minor trait for stronger protection makes bunkering stronger, note I did not say damage. You do barely any damage but hey, I guess you just don’t die? You don’t run warhorn either. You either run fresh air or go dagger dagger with earth+water+tempest

This is compounded with the fact that for a lot of ppl the spec isn’t fun. A lot of ppl play ele in order to switch between attunements and use skills in a very fast paced manner. Tempest ignores that entirely and says “ok you need to wait in order to use this skill, and it isn’t even good enough to warrant how much you are punished for it”. You went from bunkery with a little bit of damage to being extremely bunkery with no damage unless you have an ally nearby. And while I personally don’t have any problem with taking water it is pretty much necessary in order to cure conditions which are all too prevalent nowadays.

I give tempest a 5/10 if only for the fact that it does one thing right but it only really works in PvP. That is bunkering even more. Compare this with scrapper who does it better while doing damage, chronomancer who brings great utility and still does good amounts of damage, dragonhunter which can do a lot of damage afar and a good amount close up (though not op imo), Herald for sharing boons because they do it better than tempest…and so on. After today’s berserker buffs I would argue that berserker is likely to become a better elite than Tempest as the concept was sound. It just needed some tweaks. Tempest goes against everything people who Main Ele want to do.

why is tempest so bad?

in Elementalist

Posted by: The Great Al.2546

The Great Al.2546

If you are going to attunement swap then you may as well take arcane and just use base ele.

why is tempest so bad?

in Elementalist

Kraiz.6720

Ok i did say clearly that i haven’t tried PVP with Tempest yet but ok. Overall i am enjoying it and i find it works well for me in PVE.

And yes believe it or not i do use most skills on my bar before i enter overload, then change out, kinda the point of tempest. (not always obviously) I have played Ele since launch, with a year break in there at some point, and i am really liking the tempest so far. 5 secs is not that long and you should be allowing for it if its that much of an issue. (Remember i haven’t said anything about PVP i haven’t tried it with this build yet)
I find that i have more damage output, more buffs constantly, and am able to buff my party mates a lot easier and efficiently with my new build.

I say ppl open their minds because i’m sick of hearing zerk d/d or gtfo.
Ppl need to remember this is a game and ppl will play the way they like. Some will be pro most will be casual, like me.

Also as a note worth mentioning, the Specializations were designed to change the way any given class works. Your saying ppl are used to Elementalist and Tempest just slows the fast paced nature of it. Well that’s what it was supposed to do, its meant to be a new experience.

And in response to your attempt to insult me

Attachments:

why is tempest so bad?

in Elementalist

Kraiz.6720

Always with the blanket statements of “If they don’t like it they aren’t opening their minds” Warhorn is very lackluster compared to its offhand counterparts and while you say you can stay in an attunement for 5 seconds I find that hard to believe as an Ele will drop their 2 and 3 skills and 4 and 5 very fast if they are up. If you were using dagger you would be waiting forever with less damage doing dagger fire/water 2. Air being the only one with a decent auto attack you would usually finish all of your skills before overload was even up.

If you were using scepter as a main hand you would not be auto attacking as switching attunements would do more dps than auto attacking and waiting for overload to be up.

Literally the only reason ppl take tempest in PvP right now is not because of overloads because honestly they are easy to interrupt and easy to just get out of the way from if somehow you were taking too much damage. The reason is that Invigorating torrents+grandmaster heal on aura+minor trait for stronger protection makes bunkering stronger, note I did not say damage. You do barely any damage but hey, I guess you just don’t die? You don’t run warhorn either. You either run fresh air or go dagger dagger with earth+water+tempest

This is compounded with the fact that for a lot of ppl the spec isn’t fun. A lot of ppl play ele in order to switch between attunements and use skills in a very fast paced manner. Tempest ignores that entirely and says “ok you need to wait in order to use this skill, and it isn’t even good enough to warrant how much you are punished for it”. You went from bunkery with a little bit of damage to being extremely bunkery with no damage unless you have an ally nearby. And while I personally don’t have any problem with taking water it is pretty much necessary in order to cure conditions which are all too prevalent nowadays.

I give tempest a 5/10 if only for the fact that it does one thing right but it only really works in PvP. That is bunkering even more. Compare this with scrapper who does it better while doing damage, chronomancer who brings great utility and still does good amounts of damage, dragonhunter which can do a lot of damage afar and a good amount close up (though not op imo), Herald for sharing boons because they do it better than tempest…and so on. After today’s berserker buffs I would argue that berserker is likely to become a better elite than Tempest as the concept was sound. It just needed some tweaks. Tempest goes against everything people who Main Ele want to do.

You shouldn’t assume things, like that you know me and how i play and that your opinion reflects that of the entire Ele community.

I do run fresh air, because as you said air has best damage for a dagger on Auto/Attack but for other reasons also, i get the strike on swap plus the extra 190 precision while im in it. No.4 isnt a bad cc+buff either.

why is tempest so bad?

in Elementalist

Senario.2038

You shouldn’t assume things, like that you know me and how i play and that your opinion reflects that of the entire Ele community.

I do run fresh air, because as you said air has best damage for a dagger on Auto/Attack but for other reasons also, i get the strike on swap plus the extra 190 precision while im in it. No.4 isnt a bad cc+buff either.

Air has the best autoattack but you’re still going to be better off switching attunements when it comes to overload vs don’t. Your build leaves much to be desired in terms of actual defense and especially condition clear which is a big deal for Elementalist because as a light class with low hp you need to get condis off you ASAP. Not taking water means that any condi build will destroy you even if the condis are just CC type condi. And while it is feasible to run Air that is mostly a damage choice and the Percision is a secondary thing to something like say…Power.

Not to mention your stats are totally out of wack for anything that isn’t PvE. 2.2k armor is almost nothing and you run 14k hp only. Add to that…you run the glyph as a heal and while it is alright due to the 4k heal+boons there is a ton to be left desired without healing power and using Signet of Healing or taking Ether renewal/Arcane brilliance for extreme amounts of healing/condi clear or Blast finishers respectively. Generally any close up build using tempest would use either Signet of healing to heal every cast or Ether renewal(extreme cases, usually not needed).

Your crit chance is nice but without any sort of tankiness you really are just gimping yourself in close up combat. Your damage when you are dead is 0. From a world v world or PvP perspective this is bad and it is definitely starting to be an issue with the new HoT maps as a really glassy build like that will go down pretty fast if you don’t dodge perfectly. Generating Protection which is a major part of tempest’s defenses is tough with your setup because nothing except swapping to earth and popping armor of earth with a 60 second cooldown will actually get you that important buff.

I don’t mean to insult you. I’m just saying that tempest leaves a lot to be desired and really is only a distraction in PvE due to the harsh punishment on overload and lack of stability as a baseline. Not mentioning that warhorn skills are generally not all that great compared to other offhand choices such as Focus and Dagger.

Small tip, switch out arcane for Water. Arcane and Tempest do not have great synergy because they are made to be clearly competing specs. One wants you to swap attunements more, the other wants you to swap attunements less. Air/Earth/Fire are all semi legitimate for the third spec…though I believe that tempest gets the most out of earth as it has protection on aura as well as a choice between stability on earth swap or less CC time taken. Fury and swiftness are alright…but all the damage in the world means nothing if you are dead. And Fire does not have enough defenses to sustain a tempest playstyle (though it worked for dagger dagger because you needed damage and swapped into water+used cantrips a bunch) This is all ignoring whatever runes/infusions you may or may not use.

(edited by Senario.2038)

why is tempest so bad?

in Elementalist

Kraiz.6720

I realize my stats aren’t the best but i have only just started playing with this build and im deciding what i need more of (toughness). I really do like the warhorn and the overloads so i want to use them in my build. And yes Ive only been PVE’ing, tried WVW but couldn’t find any decent fights. All of what i have said has been about PVE.

Let me say though i am a casual player and though i understood all of what you are saying its meaning to me is not as apparent. I enjoy the way i play and i f i get too caught up with numbers and what not i forget to have fun.

Having said that and now that your not being so subjective i talk about some points i don’t like as much about my build: I’ll admit that i get 1shoted a lot. For this build to work i need more toughness. Small hits and condis are ok because im usually under regen and either cleansing fire or water attunement will clear that up. In fact getting 1 shot is my biggest drama. Im ok at dodging, been practicing with this build cant dodge everything though.

As for the arcane, i find it helpful, especially with the warhorn. Once you overload thats 15 sec you need to wait. A good one i like is to start in fire pop 4,2,5,3 overload, air,2,3,5,4 overload and rinse and repeat. That give me many buffs almost all the time including fury and regen, prot on overloads and swiftness most the time. Of course it does not always go that way and i need to condi clear and what not. Water spec overload is great for condi clear and it heals yourself and the grp well although ill admit it can be hit and miss waiting that 5 secs if your not reading the fight well.

I use glyph heal out of habit i think i do use ER in heavy condi areas not too often though. Signet gets used more. You sound like someone that has spent infinitely more time playing than i have and perhaps takes it a bit more serious too. Yes i know i do get one shoted a fair bit and im working on that, but you took one look at my stats and said that’s wrong (well basically). My concern is that everyone wants the “best stats” as determined by a meta. If ppl have no individuality and just go the same spec same build same everything because it does the most damage. It will not bode well for the future and i think that right now is a crucial time for GW2. If people don’t start realizing that the devs made this game to played many different ways, what is going to inspire them to make new content.

why is tempest so bad?

in Elementalist

Posted by: Wolfric.9380

Wolfric.9380

I also like tempest and have a unusaual S/F build. My partner feels the team support and its much easier with 600 range.
And I use scepter eath auto attack quite a lot. When you are a condi build earth auto is not so bad.
It works well in PvE and WvW. For PvP i think i need soldiers rune to survive.
The only thing i dislike is that i have to swap one utility when running around with air signet. I could have permaswiftnes by constant overlaods but ….. So 25% speed like crono or speed like druid instead of swiftness baseline would be great.
So i like playing diffrent and i am sucsessful doing it. Tempest is diffent, does not fit used ele gameplay but for me it plays much better then arcane ele.
I will try WH again. First attempts felt slow and coul not catch up with my focus.

(edited by Wolfric.9380)

why is tempest so bad?

in Elementalist

Posted by: seijurohiko.8523

seijurohiko.8523

Everyone who is complaining about tempest going against how elementalist are supposed to work by promoting a character to stay in attunements without swapping every 3 seconds, do yourself a favor and as Bruce lee said “empty your cup”. Realize tempest was not designed to be played like a regular elementalist. Which also means a tempest can’t be built like a regular elementalist.

I liked tempest during the beta weekends and still do, albeit there are a few small issues, but the bottom line is, the class works. If you open your mind up, forget how you normally play your ele, and build and play your tempest accordingly, you will also e successful. If you can’t survive in pvp without swapping attunements every 3 seconds, you are playing and building your tempest wrong.

Tempest reminds me somewhat of necromancer because positioning is extremely important, whereas with most ele builds of the past, it just plain isn’t. Also realize you can’t rely on boons from swapping attunements, but Anet has provided a million ways to protect yourself without swapping attunements. Get a little creative and you will see what I mean. I don’t post often so I’m sure many people will think I’m trolling or don’t know anything about pvp, but I’m rank 46, and rank 1060 in wvw, almost exclusively playing elementalist since launch. I know a thing or two about pvp, and tempest is very viable if you approach the specialization with an open mind and forget what you know about old ele.

By the way, my current build is scepter/wh fresh air and it’s absolutely devastating. And I don’t use stability on overload, which most people would think is insane, but I’ve discovered I don’t need it as much as you would think when you play smart and time your overloads. Armor of earth works for 1 guaranteed overload on a 60s cd traited which is game changing in pvp. Just food for thought. I initially hated warhorn but as I’ve continued working with it and learning it’s strengths and weaknesses it’s very very strong. Just having a water field with scepter is amazing once you get used to it, I feel like an engi I can blast my own water field so much when things go south.

Give tempest a try and don’t get discouraged, look at your build and playstyle before you blame Anet. They delivered a spec that is completely different than elementalist as promised, so don’t expect It to be effective if you play it the same way.

why is tempest so bad?

in Elementalist

Senario.2038

Everyone who is complaining about tempest going against how elementalist are supposed to work by promoting a character to stay in attunements without swapping every 3 seconds, do yourself a favor and as Bruce lee said “empty your cup”. Realize tempest was not designed to be played like a regular elementalist. Which also means a tempest can’t be built like a regular elementalist.

I liked tempest during the beta weekends and still do, albeit there are a few small issues, but the bottom line is, the class works. If you open your mind up, forget how you normally play your ele, and build and play your tempest accordingly, you will also e successful. If you can’t survive in pvp without swapping attunements every 3 seconds, you are playing and building your tempest wrong.

Tempest reminds me somewhat of necromancer because positioning is extremely important, whereas with most ele builds of the past, it just plain isn’t. Also realize you can’t rely on boons from swapping attunements, but Anet has provided a million ways to protect yourself without swapping attunements. Get a little creative and you will see what I mean. I don’t post often so I’m sure many people will think I’m trolling or don’t know anything about pvp, but I’m rank 46, and rank 1060 in wvw, almost exclusively playing elementalist since launch. I know a thing or two about pvp, and tempest is very viable if you approach the specialization with an open mind and forget what you know about old ele.

By the way, my current build is scepter/wh fresh air and it’s absolutely devastating. And I don’t use stability on overload, which most people would think is insane, but I’ve discovered I don’t need it as much as you would think when you play smart and time your overloads. Armor of earth works for 1 guaranteed overload on a 60s cd traited which is game changing in pvp. Just food for thought. I initially hated warhorn but as I’ve continued working with it and learning it’s strengths and weaknesses it’s very very strong. Just having a water field with scepter is amazing once you get used to it, I feel like an engi I can blast my own water field so much when things go south.

Give tempest a try and don’t get discouraged, look at your build and playstyle before you blame Anet. They delivered a spec that is completely different than elementalist as promised, so don’t expect It to be effective if you play it the same way.

And if you tried it and found it to be lackluster? This is another “If you don’t like it you are closeminded” post. A lot of us have already given it PLENTY of tries and plenty of builds. Your point about ways to defend yourself without swapping attunements generally is using your utilities or a getaway skill.

Swapping attunements after dropping your skills or based on what you need at the moment is core to what Ele does. Not waiting around in an attunement for five seconds then overloading for 4 very interruptible seconds (even with one stack of stab) then swapping to another attunement to wait more and not all the attunements have very good things to do within those 5 seconds and certainly not things that are not highly punishable.

While your input is noted comparing tempest to Necromancer isn’t encouraging because Necromancer was not very useful in game modes besides WvW before HoT. And referring to everybody who dissents as “not being open” is just plain wrong.

Oh and Bruce Lee said “Be water my friend” Not empty your cup. And I think it is not a good analogy for this. Maybe if you twisted it and said tempest is completely different and not in any way interacting with base ele but imo.

why is tempest so bad?

in Elementalist

Posted by: MadRabbit.3179

MadRabbit.3179

Oh and Bruce Lee said “Be water my friend” Not empty your cup. And I think it is not a good analogy for this. Maybe if you twisted it and said tempest is completely different and not in any way interacting with base ele but imo.

I prefer to use the wise words of BroScienceLife on Youtube when comparing the state of Tempest. He once said “It’s kind of like…would you rather be molested by your female teacher who’s kind of ugly, because they usually are or would you rather be molested by your uncle? Who’s a guy. And your dad’s brother.”

Playing Tempest is certainly better than having your uncle’s fingers up your butt, but the spec undoubtedly needs some work.

Rehabilitated Elementalist. Now, trolling the Thief forums with my math.