90% vs 100% Condition Duration

in Engineer

Posted by: katsu.4052

katsu.4052

I have the condition based setup that many people run now w/ full Rabid Armor and Weapons (P+S), nothing new

2 Lyssa Runes – 10%
4 Nightmare Runes – 10%
30 pts in Explosive Traits – 30%
Rare Veggie Pizza – 40%

Total: 90% Condition Duration

My question though – is it worth replacing one of my weapons (pistol) with Giver’s to get that extra 10% condition duration to round it out to 100%?

According to the wiki – “Duration of conditions is rounded to nearest quarter of a second in skill tooltip’s list of effects (0s, ¼, ½, ¾ and 1s) and conditions which inflict damage over time (bleeding, burning and poison) only deal damage each full second. Condition duration from runes isn’t shown in the skill’s tooltip, but does correctly increase duration.”

So for example the 2 sec bleed on the pistol auto attack will go to 4 secs (4 full bleed ticks) with the 100%, but with 90% it will only apply 3 bleed ticks? Am I missing something in regards to the 90% vs 100% condition duration?

http://prescribedrx.com/
NA | Sea of Sorrows

in Engineer

katsu.4052

I did some rough calculations

Rabid Pistol
1190 Condition Damage
90% Condition Duration
102 Damage per sec per Bleed tick
3.8 sec bleed on auto attack applies 3 bleed ticks for total of 306 damage

Giver’s Pistol
1100 Condition Damage
100% Condition Duration
97.5 Damage per sec per Bleed tick
4 sec bleed on auto attack applies 4 bleed ticks for total of 390 damage

NA | Sea of Sorrows

in Engineer

Posted by: Jigain.8231

Jigain.8231

Question: Why 10+10% from Lyssa x2 and Nightmare x4, as opposed to 10+10+7% from Superior Lyssa x2, Superior Mad King x2, and Major Mad King x2? Or have they changed it so they (superior and major runes of the same suffix) no longer stack?

This post may contain a high concentration of sarcasm and irony.
If you are allergic to these ingredients, do not consume.

in Engineer

katsu.4052

I guess for the added condition damage from running 4 nightmare, but even then you would be running at only 97%

NA | Sea of Sorrows

(edited by katsu.4052)

in Engineer

Jigain.8231

Well, fair enough, if the only conditions you care about are damage-ticking ones, I suppose. I don’t know what build you’re running with or what kits you use, so extra time with cripple, weakness, immobilize, blind, vulnerability, chilled and confusion might not be as important for you as extra condition damage.

Curiosity sated.

in Engineer

Posted by: Forestnator.6298

Forestnator.6298

Yes replace on pistol to a givers weapon. It is worth it.

in Engineer

Posted by: kangaroosteak.6201

kangaroosteak.6201

Having 100% condition duration means doubling everything without worrying about fractions of a second and if that 3/4s counts or not, plus it means super condi skills like freeze grenade give 12s chill if you land all 3.

[VP] Yeskey: I Theory Craft Builds and Get Into Fights!

in Engineer

Posted by: rogerwilko.6895

rogerwilko.6895

1). Can you reach +100% duration without 20 points in Explosives? If so how?
2). Except the bleed dmg, if one has +90% duration, how would the Cripple, Burning and confusion be affected?

in Engineer

Posted by: Amadeus.5687

Amadeus.5687

I did some rough calculations

Rabid Pistol
1190 Condition Damage
90% Condition Duration
102 Damage per sec per Bleed tick
3.8 sec bleed on auto attack applies 3 bleed ticks for total of 306 damage

Giver’s Pistol
1100 Condition Damage
100% Condition Duration
97.5 Damage per sec per Bleed tick
4 sec bleed on auto attack applies 4 bleed ticks for total of 390 damage

I think 90% condition duration gets intrestring when you go with Runes of the Undead and 2x Giver’s Pistols, instead of picking the Duration runes!
Personal when running my condition Grenadier build I go from 995 conditions power unbuffed, to 1287 condition power unbuffed, which is all most a 300 condition power gain! probaly could be more with more toughness!

But anyway, most of the time I stick with 100% duration, but running a grenade kit, which all ready have absurd long duration, I will often be going with only 90% duration, since the duration is allready absurd !:)

in Engineer

Jigain.8231

1). Can you reach +100% duration without 20 points in Explosives? If so how?
2). Except the bleed dmg, if one has +90% duration, how would the Cripple, Burning and confusion be affected?

Giver’s Pistol: 10%
Giver’s Shield: 10%
Runes: 2x Superior Lyssa, 2x Superior Mad King, 2x Major Mad King (total 27%)
Explosives trait line: 1% per point, up to 30%
Food: 40% for 30/60 min

I think those are all the sources available to us, may potentially have forgotten one or two. Feel free to mix and match between them. If you get all but the traits, you’re 13% short of 100%.

All conditions will have improved durations, even damage over time effects. Many people forget that, but it’s worth noting, since not only our profession have traits that increase damage done to enemies with specific, or even any, conditions. But yes, damage over time effects only do their hurting every 1.0 seconds. If you have a 4-second bleed and 50% condition duration, it’ll last for six seconds and do damage six times. Increase the duration to 70%, and it’ll last for 6.8 seconds and do damage six times. Any non-damage condition, like cripple, chill, fear, even the healing reduction from poison will have its full effect for the entire 6.8 seconds.

in Engineer

Posted by: rogerwilko.6895

rogerwilko.6895

Yes, still I said that I will not use 20+ points in explosions.
With that in mind, I can reach:
10% → Explosion trait line
20% → 2x giver pistols
10% → 2x Lyssa runes
10% → 2x Sup Mad King
40% → Food
--————————> +90%
and I`ll be missing 10%.

At this point my concerns are, in the following order:
- with WvW in mind, is it worth finding another 10% from somewhere?
- if Yes, where from? Will 2x Superior and and 2x Major runes of the same type work together? (that would be 7%, so still I`ll miss 3%)

in Engineer

Posted by: ukuni.8745

ukuni.8745

10% -> Explosion trait line
20% -> 2x giver pistols
10% -> 2x Lyssa runes
10% -> 2x Sup Mad King
40% -> Food
--————————> +90%
and I`ll be missing 10%.

- if Yes, where from? Will 2x Superior and and 2x Major runes of the same type work together? (that would be 7%, so still I`ll miss 3%)

You could take a spare givers pistol with the sigil that increases bleed duration so you have 100% duration, throw it on after you get stacks, since everything else stacks duration instead of intensity that would work since bleed is the only condition you want to be on the second for it to go off, confusion doesn’t really matter for duration imo since it only goes off when the opponent uses a skill, burning well most condition builds can stack it pritty easy and majority of decent players will remove it long before it’s done its full duration

Still Winning And Grinning (Swag)
Ukune – Engineer of Maguuma
Check me out on YouTube

in Engineer

Jigain.8231

10% -> Explosion trait line
20% -> 2x giver pistols
10% -> 2x Lyssa runes
10% -> 2x Sup Mad King
40% -> Food
--————————> +90%
and I`ll be missing 10%.

Yeah, stacking Superior and Major runes still works, so you could throw 2x Major Lyssa or Mad King in there for a total of 97%.

And no, going out of your way to find another 3% isn’t necessary unless you’re really dying (no pun intended) to put out that one more tick. Remember, 97% is quite enough to increase any damage-over-time effect that lasts more than 1 second base time for at least one tick. A five-second condition lasts for 9.85 seconds and does damage nine times, up from five.

Also, the only conditions that damages and doesn’t stack duration (but rather intensity) are confusion (which we can’t reliably stack anyway), torment (which we don’t have access to), and bleed. That means every other damaging condition, that being the remaining two; burning and poison, we can keep those rolling as long as we apply it again. This means no “lost” ticks as long as we can hit ’em with it again. As for the remaining bleed, as suggested you could just go for a weapon sigil (Sigil of Agony) that increases bleed duration. Or you can be satisfied with the 9/10 ticks.

in Engineer

Posted by: Tacgnol.8079

Tacgnol.8079

Hi there, I am also studying this question, and was happy to find your thread.
Something which might be interesting for you are the runes of the nightmare (http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Rune_of_the_Nightmare), which on top of giving you +183 condition damage, could help you to reach this last +10% you are missing…
Off course runes of the undead are also very good, especiially if you have rabid armor, but unfortunately do not provide the + condi duration %

Personaly, my plan for the moment is:

Giver pistol: + 10%
Giver shield: +10%
Runes of the nightmare (6/6): +10%
30 points in explosive trait: +30%
Pizza: +40%

Total: +100%

I just find so cool to have all durations doubles, I do not know why, but +90% dpes not fell the same :-)
But that is just me, I am maniac I guess !

As a side note, I do not like HGH so much, even if it would allow more damages, I simply don’t like to have to re-apply buffs all the time. But I still look for ways to improve my build. For exemple from another thread, I learned that shrpnel might be worth slotting for grenadier, you can also have a look, it is interesting as well.

in Engineer

Jigain.8231

Unfortunately Nightmare runes wouldn’t help him, as that’s a 2-slot bonus of +4% even on the Superior version. Compare to Mad King or Lyssa who are both +10% for 2-slot Superior, or +7% for the Major. Seeing as how you can only slot 6 runes in any given set, it’s always more useful (for pure condition duration) to go for 2x Superior Lyssa, 2x Superior Mad King, and 2x Major Lyssa or Major Mad King for a total of 10 + 10 + 7 = 27% condition duration.

That said, if there was some leeway and you could shave 3% off somewhere, I could see 2x Sup Lyssa, 2x Sup Mad King, 2x Sup Nightmare as a valid option for 24% condition duration but some added condition damage, while sacrificing either some power or precision to do it. Keep in mind this’ll probably be a bit more pricey though, as it’s six Superiors rather than four Superiors and two Majors.