A Guide to the FT/EG (Updated: 10/16/13)

in Engineer

Posted by: Phineas Poe.3018

Phineas Poe.3018

Hey all.

This is Phineas Poe from Sanctum of Rall’s Ethereal Guardians [EG]. Though many of you are likely already familiar, the purpose behind this thread is to provide a comprehensive guide to using the Flamethrower and Elixir Gun in Guild Wars 2.

If you have any additional questions about the FT/EG that is not addressed here, please do not hesitate to comment in this thread, send me a PM on Guru, or whisper/mail me directly at Phineas Poe.3018 in-game.

[EG] Ethereal Guardians

(edited by Phineas Poe.3018)

in Engineer

Phineas Poe.3018

Part One: Introduction

As a “comprehensive look” to the Flamethrower and Elixir Gun, it is important to establish both kits’ strengths and weaknesses.

This is not a glass cannon DPS build. Let me make this clear. This is not meant to compete with the Grenade Kit or Bomb Kit in DPS. This is a hybrid spec that utilizes the middle ground between defense and offense, providing apt auxiliary support. This is your Hammer Guardian. This is your Warhorn Warrior. This is your Staff Elementalist. The Flamethrower and Elixir Gun, while providing a good amount of damage on their own, are just as much about buffing your party through Area Might and condition removal.

If you are searching for the best CoF p1 or 40+ Fractal build for the Engineer, then you may want to look elsewhere. If you are, however, searching for the best spec that plays the Flamethrower and Elixir Gun to their strengths, that plays the Engineer to its auxiliary strengths, then read on.

A Link To The Build
(For the TL;DRs in life)

[EG] Ethereal Guardians

in Engineer

Phineas Poe.3018

Part Two: Selecting Your Traits

Rocket Boots Variant (0/25/0/20/25)

Use this variant to maximize the damage output of your Flamethrower and Elixir Gun. 25 Tools gives you Enduring Damage, increasing your damage by 10% with full Endurance. Being dubbed the “Rocket Boots” variant, this better benefits wielding the Rocket Boots as your third utility with the use of Speedy Gadgets, though you could swap it out for something else as necessary.

Elixirs Variant (0/25/0/30/15)

Use this variant to maximize the boon support of the Flamethrower and Elixir Gun with 30% Boon Duration from Alchemy. With Potent Elixirs, this setup also strengthens the potency of your elixirs, pushing Toss Elixir B’s Stability to 6 seconds in duration. This also increases the length of Toss Elixir U’s projectile wall.

[EG] Ethereal Guardians

in Engineer

Phineas Poe.3018

Part Three: Choosing Your Skills

Med Kit: Best self-healing skill at the Engineer’s disposal. Roll with this when you feel like focusing on DPS with Drop Stimulant.

Healing Turret: Still the be-all, end-all group support healing skill. Provides 2 conditions removed per overcharge across your entire group (as long as they’re within range) and can be detonated in Napalm for Area Might.

Flamethrower: Natively stacks Might while wielding it, so this will be the kit you spend the majority of the time using. Integrate Napalm into your rotation so that you’re stacking Might through your Blast finishers. Wield this for DPS and providing offensive boons to your group.

Elixir Gun: Continues to reprise its role as a great support kit along with a stunbreaker in Healing Mist (toolbelt). Make a point to using Acid Bomb (a Blast finisher) every time it’s available, both inside and outside of Napalm depending on what the situation requires.

Rocket Boots: Provides a 5+ second burn through Rocket Kick, though the main utility skill has its own strengths. It’s a Blast finisher, which makes it pair well with Napalm, but more importantly it’s a great escape option that the Engineer has often lacked, curing immobilized, crippled, and chilled conditions in the process.

Elixir B: Consuming Elixir B grants Might, Fury, Retaliation, and Swiftness, but the best part about the skill is that Toss Elixir B grants 4+ seconds of Stability. Very useful.

Elixir R: Use this whenever you think you may need the area revive through Toss Elixir R.

Elixir U: Use this whenever you need a projectile wall through Toss Elixir U. Also acts as a stunbreaker when consumed.

Elixir S: Use this whenever you need area stealth. Also acts as a stunbreaker when consumed.

[EG] Ethereal Guardians

in Engineer

Phineas Poe.3018

Part Four: Weapon Selection

Though you will be using your Flamethrower and Elixir Gun mostly, you still need to make an active decision of what your equipped weapon will be. Similar to utility skills I will list each option and explain their strengths.

The ultimate decision of which is best really comes down to playstyle and what you need most in the moment. Just keep in mind that when using the Rifle you are forgoing the natural advantage of having two sigils to work with versus one (i.e., Pistol of Strength + Shield of Force versus Rifle of Battle).

As with many aspects of this build playing into a versatile role in groups, I recommend just buying a full set of weapons (1 Rifle, 2 Pistols, 1 Shield) and bring them all with you, slotting them in an 18-slot Invisible Leather Backpack or something similar.

Rifle: Overall, an efficient weapon choice given that it plays into the close proximity to targets similar to the Flamethrower. Jump Shot, Blunderbuss, and Overcharged Shot all work best within 400 to 100 range of your target, making the Rifle an optimal choice when centered on offensive output. Do not stay out of the Flamethrower for very long, however, as you will do more damage with Flame Jet than you do with Hip Shot.

Pistol: The Pistol has gotten a pretty bad rep when used in Power-based builds, but don’t be fooled: Poison Dart Volley actually does a pretty significant amount of damage (4-6K depending on Armor). Poison also has great utility in PvE when fighting bosses that regenerate health, as Fumigate alone does not permanently sustain Poison on a target. Static Shot can help as a situational Blind when needed, but its Confusion is nothing to write home about. When dual wielding Pistols, you additionally have access to Blowtorch and Glue Shot. Blowtorch will help in better sustaining Burning damage on a target for Flame Jet, and Glue Shot is a helpful but momentary AoE snare. Like Hip Shot, stay away from Explosive Shot. Use your Poison Dart Volley or Static Shot as needed and swap back to your Flamethrower or Elixir Gun.

Shield: Best utilized for its defensive abilities but it can additionally be used offensively for its Combo finishers. Magnetic Inversion is a Blast finisher and Throw Static Shield is a Projectile finisher. When using Throw Static Shield with the Light fields this build utilizes you will cure conditions on allies within vicinity of the target hit (so long as the shield passes through your Super Elixir field). When using Magnetic Inversion paired with the Fire fields this build utilizes you will stack Might for your allies, or heal them in Water fields. As such, beyond its obvious defensive capability with its stuns, blocks, and knockbacks, it can be used to buff your allies when needed.

[EG] Ethereal Guardians

in Engineer

Phineas Poe.3018

Part Five: Insignias, Runes, and Sigils

Armor Insignia: Berserker insignia is ideal for most high-end PvE content. Celestial also has its uses in open-world/WvW content.

Runes: Altruism is good, playing up the hybrid support/DPS nature of this build. Gives your group 3 stacks of Might and Fury every 15 seconds. Scholar is also viable if concerned with raw damage output.

Sigils: Invest in multiple sets of weapons. Use Sigil of Night in nighttime dungeons/fractals. Use Sigil of Force in daytime dungeons. Sigil of Bloodlust, Strength, and Battle are all suitable offhand sigils.

[EG] Ethereal Guardians

in Engineer

Posted by: Tellurian.5418

Tellurian.5418

Thank you for posting this, some really great info.

What do you think about the more tanky variations of FT/EG like wearing full knights gear, dropping last 10 pts in elixers for inventions, using sigil of blood, omnom pie and etc…

(edited by Tellurian.5418)

in Engineer

Posted by: JubeiTM.5763

JubeiTM.5763

There are lots of newcomers asking how to use the Flamethrower, now it will be easier to link this. Thanks for taking your time to do a complete guide.

in Engineer

Phineas Poe.3018

Thank you for posting this, some really great info.

What do you think about the more tanky variations of FT/EG like wearing full knights gear, dropping last 10 pts in elixers for inventions, using sigil of blood, omnom pie and etc…

There’s definitely nothing wrong with going for a more tanky variation for the FT/EG. I carry a Soldier insignia set with me at all times as well, though I very rarely use it.

And those 10 points: What trait are you taking in Inventions?

[EG] Ethereal Guardians

in Engineer

Posted by: nakoda.4213

nakoda.4213

Awesome, glad to see what you’ve put together make it’s way to the official forums.

I’ve cross referenced your thread with my sPVP FT thread.

We should get together and hash out the EG builds in sPVP, so that people have access to all the information.

Boundaries are for the effortless.
Benn E Violence :: 0/20/30/20/0
You kittens don’t even know what the prefix “meta” means.

in Engineer

Posted by: Vyxion.6358

Vyxion.6358

I’m not a fan of the 10explosive trait incediary powder because it does almost nothing when you are firing on multiple targets at once. It will burn 1 target and not the rest thanks to that cooldown. For single target it’s pretty good though given there’s no people around you alrdy extending the burn duration in which case it again won’t really do much at all. That’s why in my firestorm build this trait was excluded in favor of 10 more tools traits but since your utility selection doesn’t favor SD I suppose that’s not much of an option either unless you want to combine kit speed with vigor on swiftness (I did that when I ran FT/EG).

My build when I ran FT/EG was 0-30-0-30-10 (for more critdmg, shorter toolbelt cd’s, swiftness on kit combined with vigor trait in alchemy so i can dodge more) though you probably saw that coming by now after all I said before

Ofcourse I now run 0-30-0-20-20 but that’s an entirely different build you visited my topic for already
How do you think your build compares to my FT SD build (firestorm) ?

Would i be wrong in my assessment that I would be doing more dmg but you have more supporting options for your party?

in Engineer

Posted by: lunyboy.8672

lunyboy.8672

Excellent guide, well done.

+1

Miss Fisthammer – Engineer | Urgard Fistorsen – Guardian
Physti – Elementalist | Fistful of Blades – Thief
[WHIP] Quaggan Slavers – HoD

in Engineer

Posted by: nakoda.4213

nakoda.4213

@Vyx;

I think the difference is that the firestorm build is an offensive build while the ft/eg combo is a hybrid build.

Boundaries are for the effortless.
Benn E Violence :: 0/20/30/20/0
You kittens don’t even know what the prefix “meta” means.

in Engineer

Phineas Poe.3018

Awesome, glad to see what you’ve put together make it’s way to the official forums.

We should get together and hash out the EG builds in sPVP, so that people have access to all the information.

Sure! I’m not as well versed at sPvP as I am WvW and PvE, but it is a kit I think is very under-represented and should be worked into popularity.

I’m not a fan of the 10explosive trait incediary powder because it does almost nothing when you are firing on multiple targets at once. It will burn 1 target and not the rest thanks to that cooldown. For single target it’s pretty good though given there’s no people around you alrdy extending the burn duration in which case it again won’t really do much at all. That’s why in my firestorm build this trait was excluded in favor of 10 more tools traits but since your utility selection doesn’t favor SD I suppose that’s not much of an option either unless you want to combine kit speed with vigor on swiftness (I did that when I ran FT/EG).

My build when I ran FT/EG was 0-30-0-30-10 (for more critdmg, shorter toolbelt cd’s, swiftness on kit combined with vigor trait in alchemy so i can dodge more) though you probably saw that coming by now after all I said before

Ofcourse I now run 0-30-0-20-20 but that’s an entirely different build you visited my topic for already

Would i be wrong in my assessment that I would be doing more dmg but you have more supporting options for your party?

Well, I’m sure 10 Tools is a viable alternative, but I always prefer flat buffs to my damage than random chance.

Running Incendiary Powder I’m pretty much guaranteed to maintain Burning on targets, meaning I will always have a 10% damage boost to Flame Jet. 10 Explosives is also an additional 100 Power to my setup, which elevates my DPS across the board—not just when I crit.

And yeah: That’s about how I’d slice it in terms of difference between this and your Static Discharge setup.

[EG] Ethereal Guardians

in Engineer

Posted by: Vyxion.6358

Vyxion.6358

Sure! I’m not as well versed at sPvP as I am WvW and PvE, but it is a kit I think is very under-represented and should be worked into popularity.

Well, I’m sure 10 Tools is a viable alternative, but I always prefer flat buffs to my damage than random chance.

Running Incendiary Powder I’m pretty much guaranteed to maintain Burning on targets, meaning I will always have a 10% damage boost to Flame Jet. 10 Explosives is also an additional 100 Power to my setup, which elevates my DPS across the board—not just when I crit.

And yeah: That’s about how I’d slice it in terms of difference between this and your Static Discharge setup.

Alright then

in Engineer

JubeiTM.5763

Cmon with play kit/rotation man !

in Engineer

Posted by: draxynnic.3719

draxynnic.3719

I’d put a word in for Elixir H, actually. Medkit is a clear winner when you have an investment in Tools, but now that Kit Refinement is gone, I’ve been going back to the starting elixir. It’s another elixir (so it benefits from elixir traits), has a 20 second recharge with Fast-Acting Elixirs and heals better than Bandage Self alone, provides a defensive boon (even if it is random) and provides a thrown elixir.

It still isn’t as impressive as the other two in when you make the most of them, but making the most out of Medkit and Healing Turret requires multiple actions during which you’re not concentrating on other things, while Elixir H represents a decent chug-and-forget elixir that allows you to concentrate on making the best use of the other 20-odd skills at your disposal..

To those who think Scarlet hate means she’s succeeded as a villain:
People don’t hate Scarlet like Game of Thrones fans hate Joffrey.
They hate her the way Star Wars fans hate Jar Jar Binks.

in Engineer

Posted by: Quentijar.1274

Quentijar.1274

Thank you very much for the effort of presenting this very interesting build Phineas. I like the overall idea and I intend to try it out. Nevertheless I have one major concern. I see that in your basic build you only have 1 elixir slottted in the 4th slot, that for group play should generally be elixir R. How do you justify the use of 2-elixir boosting traits (Fast-acting elixirs and cleansing formula) just for 1 elixir? I would understand if elixir gun skills were affected but since they are not, I think that these 2 traits get somewhat wasted. How are you cleaning conditions just with elixir R?

Thanks

in Engineer

Posted by: Remillard.8691

Remillard.8691

I can’t speak for Phineas here, but with respect to the justification of Fast-Acting elixirs, this would be my take.

1) It falls under the “able to be flexible” traits with the build, so can and should be adjusted based on the situation.

2) What else would you take? The options are:
a) Invigorating Speed — Not too shabby, but requires a source of swiftness to trigger and the FT/EG build does not take Speedy Kits, so swiftness is more likely to come in from an external and thus unreliable source. Maybe useful in some circumstances.
b) Acidic Coating — Really underwhelming. While you’re more likely to be struck in FT kit than Grenades, it’s only 20% chance, and 5 seconds out of 10 seems pretty bad.
c) Self-Regulating Defenses — Might be useful in PvP where Elixir S is frequently used, but not so much in PvE content, might actually be more of a liability there situationally since it’s automatic.
d) Blood-Injection — A damage related trait, but it’s condition damage and FT’s forte is not condition damage.
e) Protection Injection — Could be situationally useful in a high stun environment.

Out of all those Invigorating Speed and Protection Injection seem the most situationally viable while even only using one elixir, Fast Acting Elixirs is something that can be counted on 100% of the time and we have some very GOOD elixirs.

3) In some situations, EG can be switched out for a second elixir if you’re not anticipating needing to control an environment. Elixir B is a good choice for damage. Thus, Fact Acting Elixirs helps again.

I think that’s basically the justification, but there might be some nuance to it that I’m not aware of.

in Engineer

Posted by: draxynnic.3719

draxynnic.3719

I could see Blood-Injection coming into play. Condition damage might not be what the build is built for, but with the build dishing out bleeds, burns and poisons, a bit of extra condition damage is better than a poke in the eye with a pointy stick, especially if the pistol or elixir gun comes out.

At the top end, you could take Backpack Regenerator – however, even with just one, having a bit of extra condition removal with Cleansing Formula can be useful. Mind you, that’s part of the reason I think Elixir H shouldn’t be dismissed – if you’re using Cleansing Formula or HGH, it’s two more procs of either Cleansing Formula or HGH on reasonably short recharges.

Really, though, there is opportunity for customisation to account for your situation in the line – if one was so inclined, one could drop out the elixir traits entirely and put in another kit in the third utility slot.

To those who think Scarlet hate means she’s succeeded as a villain:
People don’t hate Scarlet like Game of Thrones fans hate Joffrey.
They hate her the way Star Wars fans hate Jar Jar Binks.

in Engineer

Phineas Poe.3018

Thank you very much for the effort of presenting this very interesting build Phineas. I like the overall idea and I intend to try it out. Nevertheless I have one major concern. I see that in your basic build you only have 1 elixir slottted in the 4th slot, that for group play should generally be elixir R. How do you justify the use of 2-elixir boosting traits (Fast-acting elixirs and cleansing formula) just for 1 elixir? I would understand if elixir gun skills were affected but since they are not, I think that these 2 traits get somewhat wasted. How are you cleaning conditions just with elixir R?

Thanks

Well, there’s two things I must explain. (1) Healing Turret and Super Elixir is where I get most of my condition removal, which is usually more than enough. (2) Elixir R is not what I always use. It was simply what I slotted into the skill calculator. I make a point to using all of my elixirs listed above in special situations when they’re most needed.

To tell you the truth, these days I mostly run Elixir B or Elixir U over Elixir R. It has nothing to do with the viability of the skill; I just don’t often find the thrown skill is necessary in most dungeons since most players are pretty familiar with all dungeon paths in the game by now and rarely wipe out.

As to the other stuff:

Cleaning Formula 409 and Fast-Acting Elixirs are both optional in the guide and have several viable alternatives. If running Infusion Precision, Invigorating Speed is a good option. Not only are you getting perma Vigor/Swiftness in combat, but you’re also giving yourself a flat 2% buff in damage from Energy Conversion Matrix since you’re permanently sustaining two additional boons.

Protection Injection is another suitable option, but I find that it is a much more effective trait for sPvP/WvW. The only time I ever really slot it into my traits is when I’m skipping content like Arah and the Protection proc is just a way to keep me alive if I happen to get knocked down (those Risen Mage spells especially).

Like others have stated, this build is very flexible. 10/30/0/30/0 overall is a very versatile trait distribution that satisfies a lot of different builds in a lot of areas of the game. It’s kind of why I’ve settled on it in the first place, and it works for more than just the Flamethrower—but that’s for a different conversation.

[EG] Ethereal Guardians

in Engineer

Posted by: Rodrigo.1486

Rodrigo.1486

Excellent guide Phineas. Thanks for putting it together. I run a similar setup but with one slight difference in that I place 20 points in explosives to get Enhance performance (3 stacks of might) and use it in conjunction with the medkit. It definitely does not clear conditions as well as your setup but I like that I can go into my medkit to get fury and swiftness from the stimulant and keep up my might stacks in that fashion.
I am curious to know if you have tried this combination and if you have any specific preferences.

in Engineer

Phineas Poe.3018

I’ve tried it. You frontload more Might, but I find that Energy Conversion Matrix more than makes up the difference.

If you don’t think you’re going to have a lot of boons on you due to the composition of the group then Enhance Performance is a safe choice. But if you’re rolling with a boon Guardian or something similar, I think you gain more by running ECM.

[EG] Ethereal Guardians

in Engineer

JubeiTM.5763

Phineas Poe, I wonder if you would change anything in the build since the last Major patch.

in Engineer

Phineas Poe.3018

I’ve updated my Guru thread already if you wanted to check out there.

It’s in my signature. I’ll revise this, as well.

Edit: Revised in full.

[EG] Ethereal Guardians

in Engineer

Posted by: Seras.5702

Seras.5702

Glad you revised this Phineas. Seeing Jugg fall to Master initially got me really excited, but then when I rebuilt my FT/EG I got a bit lost deciding what else I could now take. I’m proud to say that what I ultimately decided was very similar to your build. I only went 20 into Firearms but after reading why you went 25 I might respec, especially since I don’t think I really need 30 in Alch. Tools is looking more enticing every patch, especially with the improved gadgets.

Do you think that with FT/EG/RB we could effectively rock Static Discharge as well? With 30 pts in Tools the CDs would be low and with FT we’ll be close to our targets so even even the non-targeted SDs would hit enemies right? A hybrid FT/SD build seems viable. Maybe drop EG for another gadget like Goggles?

Flixx Gatebuster, Orwynn Lightgrave, Seras Snapdragon
[TTBH] [HATE], Yak’s Bend(NA)

in Engineer

Posted by: Skribulous.3521

Skribulous.3521

What do you think about my All-kit build I posted in the builds thread ? I’ve been testing this for more than a week now, and so far my only real issue is getting downed far too often if I mess up my dodge due to the squishiness. The other isn’t isn’t major, mainly having to decide whether an all-boon bonus rune set (2xS.Monk, 2xS.Water, 2xM.Sanc), an all-Altruism set, or a mix of the two (2xS.Monk and 4x Altruism for the +6 Might stacks + 30% boon duration bonus) is best.

in Engineer

Phineas Poe.3018

Do you think that with FT/EG/RB we could effectively rock Static Discharge as well? With 30 pts in Tools the CDs would be low and with FT we’ll be close to our targets so even even the non-targeted SDs would hit enemies right? A hybrid FT/SD build seems viable. Maybe drop EG for another gadget like Goggles?

It’s possible. My only problem with that idea is that Incendiary Ammo has a relatively high cooldown for a toolbelt skill. So even if you swapped out the Elixir Gun’s Healing Mist for something shorter, you’re still tethered to only having 2 fast-recharging toolbelt skills. It’d still be a nice addition to your DPS, though, so you could swap Speedy Gadgets out for it if you’re looking for that.

What do you think about my All-kit build I posted in the builds thread ? I’ve been testing this for more than a week now, and so far my only real issue is getting downed far too often if I mess up my dodge due to the squishiness. The other isn’t isn’t major, mainly having to decide whether an all-boon bonus rune set (2xS.Monk, 2xS.Water, 2xM.Sanc), an all-Altruism set, or a mix of the two (2xS.Monk and 4x Altruism for the +6 Might stacks + 30% boon duration bonus) is best.

Looks good.

One change I’d really recommend, though, would be swapping out Rifled Barrels for something else. I don’t find I really need the extra range that often in PvE, especially since the Elixir Gun (Acid Bomb) and Rifle (Blunderbuss, Overcharged Shot) shine so significantly at close range.

Perhaps drop 10 points out of Firearms and sink it into Alchemy? This will give you room for Invigorating Speed in your build, which will provide more access to Vigor and giving you a much needed boost in survivability—often the only real thing we need in PvE. If the FT didn’t require Deadly Mixture, I definitely wouldn’t have 20 Alchemy in my build. And with 10 in Firearms, you still have access to Fireforged Trigger.

I would also consider swapping out Kit Refinement for Scope to help your Grenade Kit’s damage output, but that’s a play style choice.

As for rune set, what’s “best” is really up to what you want to do. Full Altruism is good if you’re seeking a boon support setup, but stacking Might/Boon Duration will be a better boost to your own DPS. I’m an Altruism fan, though I recognize it doesn’t suit all play style choices.

[EG] Ethereal Guardians

in Engineer

Posted by: Skribulous.3521

Skribulous.3521

Looks good.

One change I’d really recommend, though, would be swapping out Rifled Barrels for something else. I don’t find I really need the extra range that often in PvE, especially since the Elixir Gun (Acid Bomb) and Rifle (Blunderbuss, Overcharged Shot) shine so significantly at close range.

Perhaps drop 10 points out of Firearms and sink it into Alchemy? This will give you room for Invigorating Speed in your build, which will provide more access to Vigor and giving you a much needed boost in survivability—often the only real thing we need in PvE. If the FT didn’t require Deadly Mixture, I definitely wouldn’t have 20 Alchemy in my build. And with 10 in Firearms, you still have access to Fireforged Trigger.

I would also consider swapping out Kit Refinement for Scope to help your Grenade Kit’s damage output, but that’s a play style choice.

As for rune set, what’s “best” is really up to what you want to do. Full Altruism is good if you’re seeking a boon support setup, but stacking Might/Boon Duration will be a better boost to your own DPS. I’m an Altruism fan, though I recognize it doesn’t suit all play style choices.

Thanks for the advice, it’s really helpful. I’m currently experimenting with 30/20/0/20/0, running with Infused Precision trait in Firearms (between that and Elixir S, no need for Speedy Kits for the 100% Quickness uptime) and Invigorating Speed and Deadly Mixture in Alchemy. It’s a serious boost in efficiency, though I basically have to go back to my old playstyle pre-patch (not that it’s a bad thing, mind).

Also finalized my runes loadout with 4 Sup. Altruism + 2 Sup. Monk. I’ve gotten comfortable with it, and partymates smile at the +3 Might stack bonus at critical moments.

in Engineer

Posted by: ColdHeart.6374

ColdHeart.6374

Would this be a proper build to use while leveling? I’ve already got a main zerker DPS and I’m looking for a support-type alt to have. And while I’ve got a Mesmer, she just plays too dang slow so I want to give Engineer a chance. I’ve tried it several times and gave up shortly after playing it mainly because I hated the fact I felt like I was doomed to spam grenades all day long.

While I am sure my perception of the class is entirely inaccurate, I was hoping that this might be a suitable build to work towards as I’m leveling? If it is something I can use as I level, which trait lines should I begin filling first?

in Engineer

Phineas Poe.3018

Yeah, this build—and the Flamethrower in general—can be used while leveling. It doesn’t really enter into its prime until level 40 but it’s fine to use it beforehand.

Which trait lines should I begin filling first?

Get 10 in Tools first for Speedy Kits so that you can roam the world map faster.

The rest is up to you.

[EG] Ethereal Guardians

in Engineer

Phineas Poe.3018

Hello all. I’ve updated this to the latest patch.

Enjoy.

[EG] Ethereal Guardians

in Engineer

Posted by: EroticAndHeretic.7398

EroticAndHeretic.7398

Very nice topic here! Probably a better version with more offense of my own FT/EG hybrid build, but I really enjoy to see it!

The only thing I will “complain” about is that I see almost no engineers talking about (in game) nor using the FT’s air blast ability to deflect projectiles. When traited with fireforged triggers, it gives the engineer a reflector with a cooldown of 12 seconds, and I find it really great!

Again, really good topic!

in Engineer

Phineas Poe.3018

Very nice topic here! Probably a better version with more offense of my own FT/EG hybrid build, but I really enjoy to see it!

The only thing I will “complain” about is that I see almost no engineers talking about (in game) nor using the FT’s air blast ability to deflect projectiles. When traited with fireforged triggers, it gives the engineer a reflector with a cooldown of 12 seconds, and I find it really great!

Again, really good topic!

Yes, Air Blast most certainly deflects projectiles! While on the subject of the skill, I think it’s also important to mention that its 2-second burn only adds to existing durations and will not happen if the target is not already burning.

I don’t know if that’s a bug or not, but it does help fill the gaps between Blowtorch, Rocket Kick, and Incendiary Ammo.

[EG] Ethereal Guardians

in Engineer

Posted by: Celwina.2598

Celwina.2598

Meh, if I wanted to itemize berserker I’d play a more survivable, higher damage, easier to play class (so, pretty much all of them.) I’d like to see some good defensive engineers builds but they don’t appear to hold up well.

in Engineer

Phineas Poe.3018

Meh, if I wanted to itemize berserker I’d play a more survivable, higher damage, easier to play class (so, pretty much all of them.) I’d like to see some good defensive engineers builds but they don’t appear to hold up well.

What do you mean by “itemizing” Berserker?

[EG] Ethereal Guardians

in Engineer

Posted by: Ulric.2049

Ulric.2049

As I am currently leveling (I passed lvl 60 recently), I mostly stick on a bomb or grenade build, as it is very efficient overall. I remain very interested with other ways to play engineer (as it is his versatility that seduced me).

Do you think it is viable to try your build at my level with leveling in mind?

Either way, I’ll definitely try it when I’ll be 80, it seems pretty nice and fun. Thanks for sharing your build and experience that comes with it! (and to update it to reflect game changes, of course)

in Engineer

Posted by: Raghnu.1049

Raghnu.1049

What do you mean by “itemizing” Berserker?

They mean if they wanted to gear zerker, they would play a class capable of pumping out more damage without getting squished.

in Engineer

Posted by: DesertRose.2031

DesertRose.2031

Flamethrower is good in events because with #1, #2 and sometimes #4 you can tag a lot of mobs and get more exp and loot and a gold medal. However outside of events I advice not to use it because it simply deals too little damage.

If you’re level 60+ Grenade Kit becomes better during events because you have access to Grenadier.

in Engineer

Posted by: Ulric.2049

Ulric.2049

Hmm, ok, I see what you mean. I’ll stick with my build until 80 then. Thanks for your answer

in Engineer

Phineas Poe.3018

Certainly! Just make a point to get to 20 points in Firearms and Alchemy first for Juggernaut and Deadly Mixture.

They mean if they wanted to gear zerker, they would play a class capable of pumping out more damage without getting squished.

Flamethrower Engineers shouldn’t really have any issues with surviving. I have my own Guardian and Warrior, both geared out in full Berserker too. The problem, though, is that their higher armor values make them more liable to pull aggro. Have you ever seen a Berserker Warrior as the only heavy in a dungeon group without Mesmers to crush through everything? It’s not very pretty, speaking from personal experience with that.

Flamethrower Engineers also have the benefit of 425-600 range attacks, meaning they stay outside melee range.

If you want to complain about the Flamethrower’s damage, that’s fine. Maxing out the Engineer’s damage is not really the purpose of this build. But your survivability is not an issue, and I’d say a Berserker-clad FT/EG Engineer has a way easier time than a Berserker Warrior or Guardian. A Flamethrower Engineer in particular has a way easier time staying alive in full Berserker compared to, say, a Bombineer who hits from 240 range, has zero points in Alchemy, and has under 2K armor.

[EG] Ethereal Guardians