A New Kit: Defining Bunker Engi

in Engineer

Posted by: Archaeopteryx.7409

Archaeopteryx.7409

What about something which you can place down, like a Barrier? This could be a new kit: to place down several different sized barriers to protect Zergs, Block Damage or even more like replace bugged Skills…

I’d look forward to this, to be honest, and whenever I look on Forums and see Engi being a good ‘Bunker’ class, I can relate to building barriers!

It wouldn’t be OP, because it would block damage from both in front and behind the Barrier and it would have limited ‘health’ so it can block some ranged attacks and stop enemies from charging into a specific zone, creating a more realistic fight in terms of using positioning more wisely and it would probably grant more build diversity and encourage people not to think that Engi is just a copy of classes and has nothing unique besides from overused kits and bugged Turrets.

Kit-Wise, I’m thinking of it having some slim Metal barriers, wide barriers and some barriers that can be placed on top of two verticle barriers with less health, meaning that aerial attacks are encouraged.
I can only see this as being a problem for AoE attacks, but that could easily be the counter, as well as things like big explosions affecting wide areas.

Traiting could consist of more health for the barriers and longer durations. The Tool Belt of this Skill could be to place down a ‘shelter for allies’. The Skills of the Kit could be:
1> “Place Slim Barrier” ‘Place a thin sheet of slim metal down at your location’ (Cast Time: 1 second Refresh Time: 20 Seconds)
2> “Place Wide Barrier” ‘Place a thin sheet of wide metal down at your location’ (Cast Time: 1 second Refresh Time: 20 Seconds)
3> “Place Roof Barrier” ‘Requires two Vertically placed metal sheets-Place a thin sheet of metal as a roof for the barriers’ (Cast Time: 2 seconds Refresh Time: 30 seconds. Health: 1,200 [same for all sheets 1-3, scales with level] Duration: 15 seconds [same for all sheets])
4> “Barrier of Warding” ‘Place a very thin, electrified sheet of wide metal down to stun foes who touch it’ (Cast Time: 1.5 seconds Refresh Time: 40 seconds. Radius: 120 Stun: 0.75 seconds. Health: 600)
5>* “Industrial Refinement” ‘Spin around repairing any sheets of metal nearby and granting you and nearby allies relatialtion.* (Cast Time: 5 seconds Refresh Time: 35 seconds. Radius: 360 Amount Healed per hit: 150. Amount of Hits: 5. Grants Retaliation for 10 seconds)
Belt Utility> *"Metal-Work Shelter" ’Instantly create a very thin shelter at your location for allies to use’* (Cast Time: 3 seconds Refresh Time: 60 seconds. Duration: 45 seconds. Health: 750)

As I felt the Engineer lacked in putting effort towards committing to teammates, I felt something new would help, especially as, after reading threads, it seems to greet problems people face like: the Mortar making you an easy target once deployed and used, Turrets being a bit useless (both this and mortar can be used as an extra kick of power whilst you’re behind helpful cover), too much of the same Kit usage, repetition and copying mechanics of other classes. I didn’t want the stats to be too weak in terms of health and such, but I didn’t want them to be seen as too strong either, so that’s about perfect of what I’d expect them to be at if it was actually a thing.

Anyone think this would be a good idea? Or a bad one?

(edited by Archaeopteryx.7409)

in Engineer

Posted by: Knighthonor.4061

Knighthonor.4061

I would like something like Guardian’s wards with different shapes, but are attackable.

in Engineer

Posted by: ArrDee.2573

ArrDee.2573

portable los kit. what’s to stop non bunkers from using it?

#1 Engi NA and world first rank 80!
#1 Frandliest person NA!
http://www.twitch.tv/Livskis <-It’s back!

in Engineer

Posted by: Ferum Flamebender.5910

Ferum Flamebender.5910

I love the idea! It’s fresh and original from the ‘texas chainsaw massacre’ kits. But I feel using the kit would be a problem. A barrier can be nice to block off things, but finding a balance between OP (blocking of an entire zerg in WvW) and useless (placing the barrier and it gets one shotted by a ranger) could be hard.

And on a second thought, it would even more fit to introduce this kit simultaniously with a new weapon for the engineer: the hammer!

Aetra Ironbender, Rated E for Engineer- [WoT] Warlocks of Tyria- Far Shiverpeaks

in Engineer

Posted by: Penguin.5197

Penguin.5197

A construction kit would be great, especially if u had enough engies to build a makeshift fort together lol

in Engineer

Posted by: Archaeopteryx.7409

Archaeopteryx.7409

I love the idea! It’s fresh and original from the ‘texas chainsaw massacre’ kits. But I feel using the kit would be a problem. A barrier can be nice to block off things, but finding a balance between OP (blocking of an entire zerg in WvW) and useless (placing the barrier and it gets one shotted by a ranger) could be hard.

And on a second thought, it would even more fit to introduce this kit simultaniously with a new weapon for the engineer: the hammer!

About the Hammer… I feel there’re too many Weapons in terms of kits, and for the Ranger bit, I was hoping that it could be similar to the Dredge Barriers in one of the Dungeons, where it cannot be affected by Critical Hits… And yeah, it depends on the situation whether it’s useless or OP, as can be said about some/most other Kits-this one just takes a different approach I guess