A misconception about Engineers and their weapons.

in Engineer

Posted by: aflarge.1439

aflarge.1439

A lot of people have trouble gauging how good the engineer is because their weapon skills are significantly less impressive than those of other classes. While this is technically true, it’s a bit misleading. For other classes, utility skills exist to help out the weapon skills. With engineers, it is the exact opposite; Engineer weapons exist to aid your kits/utility skills.

Hope this helps!

in Engineer

Posted by: DaveK.1023

DaveK.1023

It doesn’t actually.
It’s probably a consequence of the fact that an Engineer simply needs to utilize EVERYTHING at his disposal to get at least halfway where other classes get with 1-2 button presses.

in Engineer

Posted by: Bezerker.2379

Bezerker.2379

I agree partially, except kits/utility skills lose benefits from weapons when equipped.

Stats on weapons(including shield) and sigils don’t affect kits.

However, some of the rifle skills are indeed useful for my engineer. Getting beat on by a warrior? overcharged shot, get some distance, drop a bomb/mine, gain some distance, switch to grens.

in Engineer

Posted by: CptCosmic.3156

CptCosmic.3156

with my pistols I use utility skills exist to help out the weapon not the other way around so your point is invalid

in Engineer

Posted by: PokeyPenguin.6178

PokeyPenguin.6178

I highly suspect grenades single target DMG is not intended to be higher then rifle and pistol, and will be changed in the following few weeks. Hopefully with a rifle and pistol DMG buff.

in Engineer

Posted by: RangiNZ.1046

RangiNZ.1046

Stats on weapons(including shield) and sigils don’t affect kits.

Does anyone know if this is intended or a bug? It currently means I never look for a primary weapon as almost all of my builds use a kit for 90% of the time.

in Engineer

Posted by: Warmage Timeraider.5861

Warmage Timeraider.5861

An profession should be , even if slightly, viable no matter what way they went.
OP is saying engineers apparently only work when living around kits…
And thats not a good thing :P

Timeraider- 80 Norn Elementalist – 80 Norn Engineer
epic-timeraider.weebly.com

in Engineer

Posted by: Typicalsloan.8603

Typicalsloan.8603

I highly suspect grenades single target DMG is not intended to be higher then rifle and pistol, and will be changed in the following few weeks. Hopefully with a rifle and pistol DMG buff.

This would be the wrong way to go. Other kits need to be brought up to the level of nades not the other way around.

in Engineer

Posted by: Karast.1927

Karast.1927

Grenade, bomb, and elixir guns with traits can end up being on par with the weapons. But this typically takes a combination of 20 / 30 point traits and each has their own advantage / disadvantages.

The dps and utility is there but the stat and sigil loss still hurts, and it keeps people from staying in kits full time. One swaps in to toss out a few conditions and then swaps back.

Flamethrower, and tool kit are just sub-par. Both the base weapons and other kits out preform them.

I know a lot of people like flamethrower and think it’s fantastic and tool kit has it’s fans, me being one of them. But you can swap bomb / grenade in their place in pretty much any build and end up with better survivability and dps.

in Engineer

Posted by: Thalzion.1378

Thalzion.1378

I think that all the turrets and stuff just drag my speed down. If I play a warrior, I can just swing my sword or shoot with rifle, but with engineer I have this turret that I have to constantly drop onto the ground and then optionally also pick the turret up from the ground. Then there is tons of kits and nades, but I have not gotten a clear way of playing. Seems that something is always being in a kit that is not currently equipped and need to change to use something else.

Otherwise I like to play the engineer and I like pistol and shield, though warrior can use also rifle. Using pistol all the time gets boring as it is constant boom sound.

(edited by Thalzion.1378)

in Engineer

PokeyPenguin.6178

This would be the wrong way to go. Other kits need to be brought up to the level of nades not the other way around.

I agree, however I was responding to the OP who claimed weapons supplemented kits, and by kits I assumed he meant grenades, seeing hows its the only one that could be considered stronger than basic weapons.

On a side note, I feel grenades are too strong, and if every kit was as strong as grenade the engi would be overpowered.

in Engineer

Posted by: Terrahero.9358

Terrahero.9358

No but it shouldnt be this bad either.

grenadekit being one example, but look at the trait grenadier. Extra grenade and 25% more range.
So, +50% dmg, +50% condition duration and +25% range.

Name one weapon, just one, where a trait like this wouldnt be horribly overpowered? But apparently, for Grenadekit its okay. Such a massive boost from traits just to make it okay speaks volumes on how bad it is without such traits.

The same goes for other kits. Flamethrower, 200toughness, stacks of might and still its still subpar compared to real weapons.

in Engineer

PokeyPenguin.6178

I think grenades would still be viable without the trait, its one of the best (if not the best) way to apply chill in the game. Also it would still quickly apply vuln stacks for PVE.

But yes, all engi DMG besides nades needs to be bumped up or sigils/weapon stats need to work with kits (would would result in a large DMG increase as well)

in Engineer

Posted by: Karast.1927

Karast.1927

I agree, however I was responding to the OP who claimed weapons supplemented kits, and by kits I assumed he meant grenades, seeing hows its the only one that could be considered stronger than basic weapons.

On a side note, I feel grenades are too strong, and if every kit was as strong as grenade the engi would be overpowered.

Grenade with the 30 point trait are to strong perhaps. But they do have a skill cap. I think they are ok. They could be toned down a little bit, but if it got nerfed with the other kits getting a look over it would kill a lot of functional spec’s.