About gyros and lack of design enthusiasm

in Engineer

Posted by: Bomboed.5697

Bomboed.5697

Just watched Druid`s preview – it was really good. Druids will get so much good or just insanely great stuff. But the most important thing i saw is Irenio`s passion about ranger class. He talked with such love and enthusiasm about all druid stuff.
And then i remembered Scrapper preview…
And then i remembered destructible gyros…

Don`t get me wrong, Irenio is a nice guy and great designer. But every designer has to be a #1fan of classes he is working on. And our class designer has no passion about our class.
Yep, hammer was great, but all other stuff like gyros just lame. While druids really gets utility, survivability and CC through cool glyphs and traits, we gets
fragile destructible minions on long CD. And they even have no special or unique abilities like turrets, they have no interesting and useful on-death effects or self-detonate abilities. That just feels like a lazy move.
If you make gyros destructible – make it for purpose. Make their destruction less brainless, make it more significant, make it more dangerous for enemies. Make counter-play for gyros about choosing between their less powerful, but continuous effects and more powerful, but momentary effect. And i am talking not about one trait like Final Salvo, but about unique on-death and self-detonate effects for each gyro. This addition will make gyros more significant, more interesting and useful not in spite of, but because of their destructibility.

in Engineer

Posted by: Adamantium.3682

Adamantium.3682

I’m not going to go as far to say Irenio has chosen a favorite profession and doesn’t care about Scrapper, that’s a bit too tin foil hat for me.

Where I will agree is that Druid looks like a solid finished Elite Specialization. Scrapper looks like a decent regular Specialization. That is a bummer. Gyros need major help. Because it seems like Irenio doesn’t share the concerns we have over gyros I’m worried BWE3 will come and go and we’ll see:

“Engineer Changes after BWE3:
Gyro health increased by 5%.”

[TNO] Gizmo Gigawatt (Engineer)
Jade Quarry

in Engineer

Posted by: Basaltface.2786

Basaltface.2786

I’m not going to go as far to say Irenio has chosen a favorite profession and doesn’t care about Scrapper, that’s a bit too tin foil hat for me.

Where I will agree is that Druid looks like a solid finished Elite Specialization. Scrapper looks like a decent regular Specialization. That is a bummer. Gyros need major help. Because it seems like Irenio doesn’t share the concerns we have over gyros I’m worried BWE3 will come and go and we’ll see:

-mortar (damage decreased by 28% to make up for the gyro buff

-turrets now start out with torment to drive the point home that condi damage
on machines is a good thing to do, we look to expand this feature to gyros aswell

- nade kit fixes cause thats the only kit that matters

in Engineer

Adamantium.3682

on machines is a good thing to do
because that is exactly what players feel when they try to use them, we look to expand this feature to gyros aswell

Fixed that for you.

Jade Quarry

in Engineer

Posted by: Frightlight.3796

Frightlight.3796

on machines is a good thing to do, we look to expand this feature to gyros aswell

Give us a trait that allows us to stack up a small army of weaker blast gyros no aoe knock back but decently high damage like per crit we stack up charges after 5 charges we spawn a gyro that follows us and detonates on your target when you strike them like a gyro version of bunker down or something.

in Engineer

Basaltface.2786

on machines is a good thing to do
because that is exactly what players feel when they try to use them, we look to expand this feature to gyros aswell

Fixed that for you.

thanks, my mistake there

in Engineer

Posted by: Nirvana.8659

Nirvana.8659

Well,i’m really having hard time with my engeneers atm.

Even if i try to never expect anything,i was destroyed after the engineer preview.
Yeah hammer could nice,but most of all i was expecting some REAL utility to use with my kits.
I mean,elixirs are what they are….nothing special and not super usefull really ; gadgets are nearly trash ; turrets are litterally trash….so making 1 +1 in my head i was expecting something that should have bring some fresh air to the class….

Instead , i saw that drones….that for me are the same things as turret and gadgets…. nearly trash.

And yes…what i expect now is " we buffed drones : + 5% hp"…..ofc…..

I apologize for my english.
Engineer : Charliengine
Engineer : Brother Thompson

in Engineer

Basaltface.2786

Give us a trait that allows us to stack up a small army of weaker blast gyros no aoe knock back but decently high damage like per crit we stack up charges after 5 charges we spawn a gyro that follows us and detonates on your target when you strike them like a gyro version of bunker down or something.

-make the gyros first off more durable… they are in MELEE range

-reduce the CD for all of em.. cept maybe sneak..

-make it a risky move to actually destroy them.. with huge buffs for the scrapper
and\or painfull consequences for the enemie who did it or is in a certain range

-reduce the ICD for the mechanic to 5-10 secs and make the rezzing gyro suicide
onto the enemie after the rez and buffing the teammate like it does now

-make the stomping gyro do a knockback arround it before stomping and then nuke itself for a painfull aoe attack

-make the purge clear more conditions and make it do in a bigger aoe and more often

-make the medic explode like the HT once destroyed by the enemie (and not by the scrapper on command) with slightly reduced healing but condition removal like the HT does

-make the sneak stealth itself for a few seconds after deploying and if destroyed by the enemie let it release a big smoke field with blind pulsing

-make the blast actually do a blast finish, make it apply massive vun at impact

-make reconstruction field remove 2 conditions at activation for all in its radius

-make bypass coating give 3 secs of protection

-make chemical field give resistance while standing in it

-make defensive field add retailiation for 5 secs

in Engineer

Posted by: Killyox.3950

Killyox.3950

I want more selfish Gyros.

Scrappers are supposed to be downtroden and would first care about themselves then about others since society rejected them.

I dislike our gyros how weak they are and uninspired/boring. Most disappointed with elite gyro.

And Purge Gyro simply sucks compared to all druid stuff and all.
Purge Gyro interval 3s so during 15s he can remove max 10 conditions. Ventari’s cleanse can remove 5×2 condis on skill use. Druid even more.

Wth is with out cooldowns?

in Engineer

Posted by: Nilix.2170

Nilix.2170

It still hurts.

Mortar Shot is STILL nerfed by 28%
Purity of Purpose

in Engineer

Basaltface.2786

Scrappers are supposed to be downtroden and would first care about themselves then about others since society rejected them.

I dislike our gyros how weak they are and uninspired/boring. Most disappointed with elite gyro.

Purge Gyro interval 3s so during 15s he can remove max 10 conditions. Ventari’s cleanse can remove 5×2 condis on skill use. Druid even more.

druid can remove ALL his darn conditions just by going into his celestial form…

in Engineer

Killyox.3950

and revenant only 1 condition by switching legend and only with a trait xDDD
Engie isn’t heavy on it either.

Not sure what is more crazy… that removal or -33% dmg for 5 ppl while in astral form…

in Engineer

Basaltface.2786

and revenant only 1 condition by switching legend and only with a trait xDDD

dont make it worse else i might really gonna cry now XD

in Engineer

Posted by: Inexor.7804

Inexor.7804

And this on an adept trait!

Primal Echoes – Reduces recharge staff skills by 20% and daze enemies around you when you swap to staff.
AoE-Daze + -20% cd an adept trait. Scrapper doesn’t even has a cd reduction and the hammer trait is a GM!

Druid’s trait line looks like it’s overflowing with great traits, the two mentioned adept traits look better than some other professions GM traits…

Ranger deserves an awesome specialization after 3 years of suffering, but as Scrapper I’m feeling left behind with our useless spirit weapons aka Gyros and 30s one trick mechanic.

I really hope the deves will focus on us and our lackluster Gyros, since Druid is revealed now and seems pretty finished.

in Engineer

Basaltface.2786

And this on an adept trait!

Primal Echoes – Reduces recharge staff skills by 20% and daze enemies around you when you swap to staff.
AoE-Daze + -20% cd an adept trait. Scrapper doesn’t even has a cd reduction and the hammer trait is a GM!

Druid’s trait line looks like it’s overflowing with great traits, the two mentioned adept traits look better than some other professions GM traits…

Ranger deserves an awesome specialization after 3 years of suffering, but as Scrapper I’m feeling left behind with our useless spirit weapons aka Gyros and 30s one trick mechanic.

I really hope the deves will focus on us and our lackluster Gyros, since Druid is revealed now and seems pretty finished.

Well of course rangers deserve nice things.. im the last who would deny em that… its just that Irenio seems to have forgotten that scrappers are there too. Look at the visuals with celestial stuff.. look at the skills, traits…just look at the new pets.. kittenING WYVERNS and pets that can render conditions against themselfes completely useless, turning projectiles to heals,a gap closer\opener with a blast finisher… massive lockdown i mean omg! This even beats the chrono for me. Support like this is insane…and just imagine what you can do if you mix that up with some more power centric traits and weapon sets. Heck even the signets change if you are in your mechanic! Everything works together so perfectly…i even dare to claim its flawless. Its gonna be close to impossible to die nearby a druid.

Who gonna even need our mechanic…who even gonna need scrappers..
But atleast we fit our name now.. low ranked trash crews…

in Engineer

Posted by: Haralin.1473

Haralin.1473

Now i know why the scappres looks so unfinished, he has put all his work in the ranger. they even didnt show our new class ability (function gyro). So it was true the last elite was the best, druid looks perfect. Maybe some day we also get a dev who loves engi

Haralin Engineer
[Skol]

(edited by Haralin.1473)

in Engineer

Killyox.3950

now we REALLY are downtroden scrappers

in Engineer

Posted by: Yid.3024

Yid.3024

I wouldn’t make assumptions about his level of enthusiasm for his work, but this is basically what I have been feeling since the reveal.

If it’s weak, they can buff it before release. If it’s still weak, they can buff it after. If it’s boring and uninspired, their track record tells me there’s no way they are able to fix that within a couple years, if ever.

Really, I don’t see any fun factor in these skills. The obvious hook of a pet skill is either you have some control over it, and/or your opponent has to think of how/whether to deal with it. Gyros are fire-and-forget AI pets that you have zero control over and stays perpetually in cleave range that helps you in the most boring ways possible. And there’s the clunky rocket launcher in a shape of a drone. Seriously, it’s such a waste of a cool theme.

Also I still don’t know what being a scrapper have to do with gyros, neither thematically nor mechanically.

With less than a month left until release, this is basically what we are getting, no amount of complaining will fix that. That is so frustrating to accept. I hope I don’t have to wait 3 more years for the next new toy.

in Engineer

Posted by: Ricky Rouse.1583

Ricky Rouse.1583

I wouldn’t make assumptions about his level of enthusiasm for his work, but this is basically what I have been feeling since the reveal.

If it’s weak, they can buff it before release. If it’s still weak, they can buff it after. If it’s boring and uninspired, their track record tells me there’s no way they are able to fix that within a couple years, if ever.

Really, I don’t see any fun factor in these skills. The obvious hook of a pet skill is either you have some control over it, and/or your opponent has to think of how/whether to deal with it. Gyros are fire-and-forget AI pets that you have zero control over and stays perpetually in cleave range that helps you in the most boring ways possible. And there’s the clunky rocket launcher in a shape of a drone. Seriously, it’s such a waste of a cool theme.

Also I still don’t know what being a scrapper have to do with gyros, neither thematically nor mechanically.

With less than a month left until release, this is basically what we are getting, no amount of complaining will fix that. That is so frustrating to accept. I hope I don’t have to wait 3 more years for the next new toy.

Nothing makes me more frustrated than thinking about how none of this is going to change. Even if Gyros are the most broken abilities in the entire game, they are still boring, boring, and uh, boring. This one heals a bit. This one cleanses. This one KILLS ITSELF to deal some damage. This one is a redundant shadow refuge that tells everyone where you are.

At this point I want to drive down to Anet HQ and shout cursewords in Irenio’s face for flubbing something we only get once every three years.

in Engineer

Adamantium.3682

Off topic but where is this “once every 3 years” coming from? This is the first time in 3 years, that is very different from once every 3 years. I was under the impression their specialization update allowed them to release new specializations (like elite specializations) more frequently to add more customizability to existing professions.

Of course they won’t add new ones with biweekly updates, but I very much doubt it will be 3 years before we see more elite specs or new weapons to use.

Gyros suck (back on topic).

Jade Quarry

in Engineer

Posted by: Kodama.6453

Kodama.6453

Totally agree, scrapper wasn’t even close to a finished form. There were several things not ready in the scrapper reveal. But it is obvious now, Irenio was too busy to care for his loved child druid and just didn’t care how is scrapper doing. Engineer was just a duty, ranger was his passion. I doubt we are able to fix that, there is just not enough time. And why should Irenio care now, he will be “busy to fix the problems with druid”. We just have to wait for the next elite spec to get any kind of useful.

in Engineer

Posted by: Nirvana.8659

Nirvana.8659

Even if Gyros are the most broken abilities in the entire game, they are still boring, boring, and uh, boring. This one heals a bit. This one cleanses. This one KILLS ITSELF to deal some damage. This one is a redundant shadow refuge that tells everyone where you are.

At this point I want to drive down to Anet HQ and shout cursewords in Irenio’s face for flubbing something we only get once every three years.

Well I don’t blame Dev. Irenio.
Despite the fact he confidentially said he love the ranger doesn’t mean that our elite spec was conditioned by that.
Even if a developer works on one class , I think before any creation they discuss things all together.
After an idea is approved a single small team/dev is in charge for 1-2 or 3 classes(like in our case).

The gyros idea is something I really dislike,and considering the engineer already has set of AI based skills,I really can’t see how they managed to come to the conclusion this gyros should have been a good elite spec.
I don’t see anything original in our elite spec,but the main concern is I don’t see a new idea there,is like have 6 turrets now,but 3 of them are mobile.

Aside from that,can you imagine all the problems they will face balancing that gyros?
Like turrets I’m sure gyros will become OP after some balance round,and back nerfed to the ground after the second balance round,doomed to be parked out of builds with gadgets and turrets.

Stealth gyro,this left me astonished : tactically speaking for a good coordinated action and successful approach / escape from enemy go in stealth requires you to be undetectable.
No sense go stealth and have a bot screaming “HEY,MY OWNER IS HEREEE,JUST THROW YOUR AoE AROUND MEEE”…. even worse in GVG or WvW large scale where youm basically ask to get bombed.

Also,from what I see,not only that stealth gyro is visible screaming your position,but you and your ally movements are SEVERELY penalized from the gyro slowness.

In the end,a bad specialization idea FROM MY POINT OF VIEW.

Ranger elite looks " fresh" , but I’m sure Devs worked the same amount of time on both,engineer and ranger.
The problem here is the idea at the base of our specialization,the thing all devs discussed about together before even announcing specialization.

I apologize for my english.
Engineer : Charliengine
Engineer : Brother Thompson

(edited by Nirvana.8659)

in Engineer

Posted by: lorddarkflare.9186

lorddarkflare.9186

Totally agree, scrapper wasn’t even close to a finished form. There were several things not ready in the scrapper reveal. But it is obvious now, Irenio was too busy to care for his loved child druid and just didn’t care how is scrapper doing. Engineer was just a duty, ranger was his passion. I doubt we are able to fix that, there is just not enough time. And why should Irenio care now, he will be “busy to fix the problems with druid”. We just have to wait for the next elite spec to get any kind of useful.

I was going to post agreement with the bolded, but after giving it more thought, I think I disagree.

Other than the weirdness of the seeing the F-Gyro, the class seems very complete to me. Underwhelming? Perhaps. But otherwise complete.

Also, I do not think it is appropriate to speculate that much into how Irenio feels about the class. These Specs are NOT the responsibilities of single people. They are all most likely designed by committee.

(edited by lorddarkflare.9186)

in Engineer

Posted by: Kodama.6453

Kodama.6453

I was going to post agreement with the bolded, but after giving it more thought, I think I disagree.

Other than the weirdness of the seeing the F-Gyro, the class seems very complete to me. Underwhelming? Perhaps. But otherwise complete.

Also, I do not think it is appropriate to speculate that much into how Irenio feels about the class. These Specs are NOT the responsibilities of single people. They are all most likely designed by committee.

Irenio himself said it isn’t the final form. And by “not complete” I meant that every other elite spec was shown polished. Look at the scrapper closely. The icons of the skills doesn’t match what they are doing. I already stated that in some topics. The toolbelt skill icon of bulwark gyro shows the aegis icon, but it is a reflection skill. The toolbelt skill of the shredder gyro didn’t even had an own icon, they used BoB as a replacement. That’s what I meant, it absolutely wasn’t completely designed, otherwise there would be an icon.

But you are right about speculating what someone is thinking about the scrapper. I’m just really frustrated and apology for that.

(edited by Kodama.6453)

in Engineer

Posted by: dancingmonkey.4902

dancingmonkey.4902

Irenio himself said it isn’t the final form.

Yup, and they said this in every single other professions PoI as well. So the fact that your attempting to imply that was something original to the engineer suggest your creating a pattern of shady claims and accusations, to try to add false weight ot attention to your personal opinion. Do us all a favor, and try to keep things on the up and up. Not only does it allow devs that read thise to take you seriously, it prevents discussions forming around misinformation

And by “not complete” I meant that every other elite spec was shown polished. Look at the scrapper closely.

You and I have one heck of a different opinion of what is polished then. Of coarse, I do wonder if your over exaggerating, just for effect. Which you appear to be okay with doing.

If the other ES’s are so polished, why have they had some skills and traits almost changed completely, and had wave upon multiple wave of changes administered to them after their PoI announcements?

Sorry, but I do not define a need to make 7 changes each, to the same 3 traits, and 2 skills, in one Elite Spec as polished.