Adaptive Armor vs. Final Salvo (pvp)

in Engineer

Posted by: Mohagi.2738

Mohagi.2738

I have been playing around with Final Salvo for abit, though mostly just in www dueling/roaming for now. But it made me think why is this not popular in spvp?

I realize that it will change your utilities to medic gyro instead of turret and possibly slick shoes to blast/bulwark gyro, so that has to be considered. But wouldnt the amount of sustain comming out of Rapid Regeneration+Final Salvo outweigh Adaptive Armor?
In addition you would also get additional dazing strike “uptime” with final salvo and hammer 3 if/when needed + the added daze/dmg on gyro detonation. Btw Final Salvo also triggers when the gyro naturally runs out or gets killed.

I have also tried to add Shocking Speed into the build instead of Recovery Matrix, but that doesnt seem (to me) to add that much. Need to test that abit more but for now Recovery Matrix still seems alot better.

Anyway just wondered why it wasnt more popular, maybe some old pvp dog can enlighten me The build editor is down for maintenance so cant link the build, but its basically the exact same build as the metabattle one except with Final Salvo, Medic Gyro and Blast gyro instead of slick shoes.

(edited by Mohagi.2738)

in Engineer

Mohagi.2738

gw2skill.net is up again

So here is the build i have been testing in www

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vdAQFASncoCtoitbBWXBEqilJjieur7+Oc7SmwS8ZKgAA-ThCBQBM8BAkFlH8b/h8oDAAXAgzoE8TqVsFlIYRJUlUVJAACghO0hO0hO025O35O35OLFwoatA-e

Gonna give it a go in pvp with a marauder amulet and different sigil’s, but would still love some input on Adaptive Armor vs Final Salvo since engi is not my main.

in Engineer

Posted by: babazhook.6805

babazhook.6805

I do not main engineer either but intrigued with the new on interrupt sigils , and in particular draining I have been fooling with this in WvW. It offers great survival SO FAR from what I can see which does in fact rival adaptive armor.

I get so many lightning fields with proper timing you can chain a number together which will give interrupts thus that health. I can see this as a means of stripping boons as well using absorption.

Now I was also looking at the new Runes and while durability great that Surging rune set also looks interesting. With a few Gyros and using sneak gyro you will get a further source of stuns off the 6 bonus on the runes which gives you a shocking aura every 45 seconds.

Would those that main engineers care to weigh in as to the downsides and your own thoughts?

in Engineer

Posted by: basz.6129

basz.6129

Gyro engi in pvp is just not reliable enough. If you can’t rely on the gyro mechanics themselves, why would you ever want to rely on a secondary proc? If one could legitimately place every gyro, whilst convincing enemy players to also work with you on gyro combo set ups, knock yourself out. AA is passive condi negation, and dd defense. Final Salvo is work to set up, and you cannot ever be sure your gyro’s are going to do what you expect, especially if you are properly utilizing mechanics and terrain.

If you have stacked reaper front line, with bunk/heal ele, offering your engi the opportunity to stand back and set up gyro combos over time, it might be viable for bigger team fights. The problem is that pvp gets very fast paced, and if you come flying into a node battle ready to dish damage and support lightning fields……… but the AI is stuck on that last blade of grass back there so they have to traverse the entire map to reach you. I would keep all gyro, excluding sneak, in pve/wvw situations, and use the weapons we know work in spvp.

To disclaim, I am no hater of dead builds. I play a static discharge build for pve, and often will pop into wvw to roam with it too. I wouldn’t bring that build anywhere near pvp anymore.

in Engineer

Posted by: babazhook.6805

babazhook.6805

Gyro engi in pvp is just not reliable enough. If you can’t rely on the gyro mechanics themselves, why would you ever want to rely on a secondary proc? If one could legitimately place every gyro, whilst convincing enemy players to also work with you on gyro combo set ups, knock yourself out. AA is passive condi negation, and dd defense. Final Salvo is work to set up, and you cannot ever be sure your gyro’s are going to do what you expect, especially if you are properly utilizing mechanics and terrain.

If you have stacked reaper front line, with bunk/heal ele, offering your engi the opportunity to stand back and set up gyro combos over time, it might be viable for bigger team fights. The problem is that pvp gets very fast paced, and if you come flying into a node battle ready to dish damage and support lightning fields……… but the AI is stuck on that last blade of grass back there so they have to traverse the entire map to reach you. I would keep all gyro, excluding sneak, in pve/wvw situations, and use the weapons we know work in spvp.

To disclaim, I am no hater of dead builds. I play a static discharge build for pve, and often will pop into wvw to roam with it too. I wouldn’t bring that build anywhere near pvp anymore.

Thanks for that. I had only started fooling with that build and had not played it long enough to encounter those pathing issues. I also play little in the way of PvP.

in Engineer

Posted by: lorddarkflare.9186

lorddarkflare.9186

Realistically, you should not be deploying your Gyros before getting on point.

Stealth Gyro is the only one that you may ever want to do this for.

in Engineer

Mohagi.2738

From the testing i have done so far I dont really have any problems with gyro “setup”. Like lorddarkflare said the only gyro you might have up before you are on point would be sneak.
I usually detonate medic gyro right away (since that thing is super bugged atm) when used on point and have never had any problems with blast gyro pathing on point. Function gyro will also leave a lightning field after rez or finish.

But anyways i agree that Final Salvo is more work and in some situations it might be better to have Adaptive Armor, especially against heavy condition classes. But with my limited testing i would personally prefer Final Salvo against power comps on point.

It is potentially 6 X 470 hp per gyro. If we count function gyro (or get to use it) we will have 4 gyro’s, so in a perfect world where you can stay inside your lightning fields for full duration its 11280 healing on a 20 sec cd (15 for blast).

On a different note I usually get 510-520 ticks from Rapid Regeneration, did not think it was affected by healing power?

in Engineer

Posted by: KayCee.4653

KayCee.4653

I would keep all gyro, excluding sneak, in pve/wvw situations, and use the weapons we know work in spvp.

I do both team/zerg/blob, havoc and roam in WvW on my scrapper. I, like you probably, had tried all the gyros, I’m down to only using Function gyro and Sneak gyro every now and then. The reason for this is that the heal gyro is weaker heal than I can get from an elixir and has the same time delay. And if I have others with me, its easier for them to stack near a turret I found than for me to create the water field using the tool belt skill.

The purge gyro, well, its okays but I have more condi removes from healing turret and elixirs than gyros. The dps gyros only work if one the person is going to be not avoiding the blast gyro (got many that did dodge it) and that will stay near the shredder gyro… So yeah, that’s smart? I don’t know what they were thinking to not give gyros a better AI.

Getting back to the original posters question. How many people in your team actually blast lightning fields of ele’s and your hammer #5 skill? For me it wasn’t many and the lightning fields that the gyros created did nothing when it was a zerg v zerg fight cause everyone had stability that pushed it or broke stuns repeatedly or teleported. The times I thought it was useful was when running from someone yet they just ran around it cause the gyro was too close to me yet too far from them to catch them by surprise.

Original Poster Question / TL;DR

Do not use any gyros for the final salvo, its really a wasted traited in my experience in WvW.

If I were you I’d go with adaptive armor instead and maybe for some condi duration reduction food if necessary. I don’t find many beyond mesmers that run pure condi builds anymore. Yet, the ones that do run condi Adaptive armor and having some bunker stats seem to derail their bombs easily. I saying that Adaptive Armor alone will keep you alive in a fight. You can without the right gear stats still get large amount of damage done to you. Yet with Nomad or Soldier gear, you can avoid some of the major condi damage bursts.

A suggestion if you’re spec’ing to be a bunker scrapper that has high (2500 to 3300 power rating), start off by a simple auto-attack let them hurt you enough to get all 5 stacks and then drop your bomb. If you have tanky armor at like 3.2k or higher, they won’t generally kill you even if they are in zerker or nomad stats, before you can stun them with hammer 5 and DPS them down with whatever you want to use.

(edited by KayCee.4653)

in Engineer

Mohagi.2738

I completely agree that Final Salvo is underwhelming in team fights in www. Was merely testing it out solo roaming and dueling to get a hang of it for pvp. This was never a post about www.

I do think it has its merits when you are fighting on a point in pvp and no you dont take Final Salvo/gyro’s for blasting the lightning fields you take it for the healing via super speed, daze and leap combo’s

in Engineer

Posted by: KayCee.4653

KayCee.4653

Yeah, but even then, what are you trading off? I can see capping or decapping an objective. but many people have teleports and well even on decapping, I’ve notice a few leave a bunker ele or something behind on the objective to make it really hard for people to decap it. That’s my worry that it’d be a wasted trait when you can get more use out of adaptive armor for PvP survivability.