Am I running an Optimal Spec

in Engineer

Posted by: EnderzShadow.2506

EnderzShadow.2506

I am wondering if I am running an optimal spec.

I am having some overall issues with the playstyle.
One, its very counterplay-ish. Everything depending on what my opponent does.
There are so many buttons to push it reminds me of stance dancing warriors of WoW and I wonder if a programmable mouse/keyboard could alleviate some of that trouble.
Oh yeah, stuns/dazes, screw me over.

Any advice to my spec/gear/play is welcome.

I am running Wolfineers Condi Engineer Spec
Pistol Shield Condi – Tool Bomb Elixir
6 -3, 8, 9
2-4
4-1, 9
2-6
Dire Armor, Rabid Trinkets
w/ Superior Rune of the Antitoxin

Thoughts?

Shadowbane DarkAges Of Camelot WoW AION WarHammer GuildWars2

in Engineer

EnderzShadow.2506

Maybe Im just bad lol
Maybe I am running an optimal spec.

So I decided to simplify it and switch to a 2 kit + rocket boot spec (Koroshi)
Changing out my runes, sigils and going full rabid.

in Engineer

Posted by: Arantheal.7396

Arantheal.7396

ender, there is no optimal spec.

condi-builds will loose against condimancers all day long
squishy zerker-builds get their teeth smashed in by cc’s

basically you can try to secure yourself against any possible situation, but that actually lets you end up as useless pool of HP and toughness that again get rofl-stomped by any bursty setup.

the core-principle in this game (unlike wow) is movement. you must know the other classes in order to understand what happens on their side of the battle, so you can read / predict their animations to dodge the few skills that could really throw you over, while trying to mitigate the rest with defensive cd’s, while also figguring out when a good window for a attack pops up so you can lock and kill your opponent fast and effectively.

gear does not even matter that much in this game (even tho the more suited to your playstyle the better), what does matter is your choice of weapons, utilities and ultimately your experience (as a person, not as character, lol), knowledge, understanding and most importantly: reflexes.

Continue trying out new builds until you find something that feels right, but the ones you’ve posted so far are deffinitively effective in their own regards as well.
A good build does not make a good player, a simple fact that is even more true in gw2 than in any other mmo.

Engineer is love, Engineer is life.

in Engineer

EnderzShadow.2506

I know I have bad habits.
Using dodges too soon
Tunnel vision – not realizing when it is more than a 1v1
My biggest issue, how to go from the defensive to the offensive and turn the fight in my favor.

in Engineer

Posted by: Arantheal.7396

Arantheal.7396

welp, use your own weakness as starting point to form your strengths.

many other people, including me, suffer often from tunnel vision, get baited into engagements they cannot win, will panic and eventually even rage-quit.

so appart from just mastering your build of choice, start playing the mind-game and use 1 second or 2 to realize what your enemy grasps of the situation. bate him into areas with many obfuscations to make use of line of sight, drag them closer to cliffs to kick them off with a cc, save your heals and go a bit lower on health then necessary to suggest a soon defeat of yours, so your enemy gets too comfortable and subject to a counter-burst. disengage with a escape to replenish health if your opponent simply runs a hard-counter build. keep in mind, fall-dmg will kill every build, so running to the next cliff may be an option. don’t go for a stomp in 1vx situations, just back off a bit, so his pal starts rezzing, then carpet-bomb both. even if he goes up, both have traded a significant potion of health for that rezz.

basically, you want to find ways to outplay your opponent and your opponent will do the same. never get too comfy, it just makes you less alerted and easier to surprise.

PvE is a whole different story, where only gear and a decently executed rota counts, but for PvP your build only should consist of stuff that you personally need to respond to the situations that you encounter the most.

a general rundown:
toolkit is awesome for its block and pull.
elixir S will give you the option to actually rezz or stomp without exposing yourself.
nades will help keeping up the pressure (both dmg-wise and psychologically) in 1vX situations
rocket-boots are a awesome escape, same goes to EG and its #4, while EG brings a lot more utility in general as well
supply-crate is one awesome game-changer, capable of turning the odds to your side in crowded areas… on open fields less so. only use it as start of a actual burst-chain to to buy time for your defensive cd’s.
slickshoes are one hell of an awesome surprise-cc, capable of stopping thiefs and warriors / guardians in their tracks (for the latter both only use it if they have already used their stability-cd#s)
PBR is perfect to blow people off cliffs, and the newly added 1sec daze on the toolbelt is awesome for interrupting heals.

a easy way to victory is to chain your cc’s so your opponent is locked down and subject to your burst-chains, but before entering combat you should have at least 1 back-up plan ready in case he can counter this effectively, uses stability, or is likely to get support from other players (like close to a keep / spawn / orange fighting marker / frequently trespassed road (such roads are merc-camps, supply-camps, shortcuts between objectives.))
Fighting in a remote area (like baiting your victim behind bravost) drastically decreases your chance to be over-run, and also makes it easier to escape since you will less likely run into a random trespasser on your way out.

Engineer is love, Engineer is life.

in Engineer

Posted by: Wolfar.6508

Wolfar.6508

Sir, you could have also asked me if that build is still updated and my view on it. The build is still very effective. It is a very standard setup but it gets the job done. An Engineer is all about reacting to your opponents move (with a few exceptions), if a Warrior decided to use Earthshaker you can quickly react to that by using Static Shot (or just dodging) or if you see a Mesmer going for a Blurred Frenzy + Shatter combo you can quickly absorb the damage by blocking with your Gear Shield (or Static Shield).

The Engineer is quite a difficult profession which can be the reason you struggle. Just keep playing and you will notice that you get better and better at the profession. Also keep in mind that there are always counters to you. The P/D Thief and Condi Necro is really strong versus you and thus you should not expect to win versus them often.

EDIT: this is the spec he is referring to.

Wolfineer.com - Everything Engineer!